• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 25 commentators this year as a new low for the series

DryvBy

As redditor bobfudge21 said "Kate Scott sounds like a commentator for a Nickelodeon broadcast"

I normally am never bothered by this stuff but when you hear what sounds like a mom cheering on her pee wee kids in flag football, it takes you out of the game. She's not the only problem, she's just the most jarring because of how overly excited she is about every play. The other commentary is so bland and generic.

Mike Tirico sounds like they used AI to voice him. "Another. Great. Play. From. The. Forty. Nine. Ers."

Sorry to share TikTok but this is the best example of how poor it is. Enjoy.

madden.gif

Mownoc

It sounds like an anime dub, not sports commentary. Though I've never watched NFL so I have no idea if it usually sounds like an episode of Pokemon.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nobody wants a woman doing play-by-play on football. Who the fuck is Kate Scott anyway? Was she one of the chicks you could listen to on the Amazon Prime broadcasts if you really hated yourself?

Doesn't matter much to me, haven't picked up a Madden game since the Xbox 360 days.
Going down a bad road here but to a point I agree with you but let me say this

Having played professional Baseball for 13 years I hate when sports news outlets like ESPN uses someone like Jessica Mendoza breaking down hitting mechanics of how to hit 100 MPH fastballs.

The reason I dislike it is because has she done it at a remotely high level?

I will add I have watched my nieces play fastpitch girls softball and remember Jenny Finch pitching to Albert Pujols and making him look silly so in the same token I don't need some guy telling me what its like cranking a Jenny Finch pitch

Some sports like Basketball for example really doesn't make me any difference because before she was infected with the ESPN mind I used to enjoy listening to Doris Burke and someone I still enjoy her breakdown is Monica McNutt

As far as Football goes I think Gus Johnson its tops even though he does college and enjoy Greg Olsen's breakdown in the NFL

DosGamer

I have been watching some of the streams... the game looks good otherwise. I actually might pick up a copy when I get some extra cash. Looks fun. Kate Scott does sound off in the clip for sure!!! lol

GinSama

Well everyone knows that 2k is still the king in terms of audio....but I really funny how EA can even have better audio then Madden 2005 lololol

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Going down a bad road here but to a point I agree with you but let me say this

Having played professional Baseball for 13 years I hate when sports news outlets like ESPN uses someone like Jessica Mendoza breaking down hitting mechanics of how to hit 100 MPH fastballs.

The reason I dislike it is because has she done it at a remotely high level?

I will add I have watched my nieces play fastpitch girls softball and remember Jenny Finch pitching to Albert Pujols and making him look silly so in the same token I don't need some guy telling me what its like cranking a Jenny Finch pitch

Some sports like Basketball for example really doesn't make me any difference because before she was infected with the ESPN mind I used to enjoy listening to Doris Burke and someone I still enjoy her breakdown is Monica McNutt

As far as Football goes I think Gus Johnson its tops even though he does college and enjoy Greg Olsen's breakdown in the NFL
I think there has been an effort from sports networks to get "people like the viewers" into broadcast booths and analyst roles, which is why you get what sound like "influencers" breaking down plays, etc. Some of them are good. Others seem to put minimal effort. There's definitely an effort to get women more interested in watching sports to generate more revenue. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Having said all that. I kind of wish they'd sign a deal with nickelodeon to have Spongebob and Patrick call Madden games.

I just got Madden 24 for $10 and will just do the community roster change at some point.
I get like 1 madden each generation just to see what they're like now, and this is it. Only worth a $10 investment every gen imo.

What is wrong with that gatoraid? haha! Looks like how you create ninja turtles.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think there has been an effort from sports networks to get "people like the viewers" into broadcast booths and analyst roles, which is why you get what sound like "influencers" breaking down plays, etc. Some of them are good. Others seem to put minimal effort. There's definitely an effort to get women more interested in watching sports to generate more revenue. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

Having said all that. I kind of wish they'd sign a deal with nickelodeon to have Spongebob and Patrick call Madden games.
What is kind of interesting about this push to get more women involved is my wife of 24 years knows more about Baseball than 90% of the casual men fans do (she was a huge Baseball fan before marrying me) and even she does not like listening to women commentators unless its gymnastics for both men and women

I dunno why she can't even explain it

Trogdor1123

The only thing that really bugged me is that it had the Vikings winning the Super Bowl. That’s how we know it is fake news.

Is there a mode where Madden circles stuff and talks about them?

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
What is kind of interesting about this push to get more women involved is my wife of 24 years knows more about Baseball than 90% of the casual men fans do (she was a huge Baseball fan before marrying me) and even she does not like listening to women commentators unless its gymnastics for both men and women

My wife is exactly the same for Football!

...Or Soccer, for you uncultured American swine dogs.

Soodanim

It could be purely down to the differences between male and female voices. A deeper sound might take over your ears less. No one wants to hear a constant screech, and male voices tend to be further from that than female.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Need more details, bro.
I have never given many details here because I found out years ago it never goes well because people always want more like trying to bug people who are on my friends lists and silly minor stuff

Will give credit to about 4 people here who actually figured it out, one just a few days ago in fact

All I usually tell people is I was a member of the 1990 Cincinnati Reds pitching staff and no not one of the Bad Boys

I was an average middle reliever that got lucky I could throw kind of hard and keep it under control

I have worked with countless kids over the years helping them become pitchers and always tell people as long as your kid wants to put in the work I can teach them to throw hard enough to at least get a college scholarship

The part I can't teach them is not killing the batter in the process

Loomy

Probably a comfort/familiarity thing. Plus it's easy to spot people who know what they're talking about vs people who are there as a stepping stone to something else.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I really don't see what's so bad about it. I played this clip expecting to hate it, but the delivery was on par with other Madden commentators. I'm not going to shit on it just because it's a woman speaking.

Last edited:

Loomy

I really don't see what's so bad about it. I played this clip expecting to hate it, but the delivery was on par with other Madden commentators. I'm not going to shit on it just because it's a woman speaking.
It's like the preseason crew calling games lol.

DryvBy

I have never given many details here because I found out years ago it never goes well because people always want more like trying to bug people who are on my friends lists and silly minor stuff

Will give credit to about 4 people here who actually figured it out, one just a few days ago in fact

All I usually tell people is I was a member of the 1990 Cincinnati Reds pitching staff and no not one of the Bad Boys

I was an average middle reliever that got lucky I could throw kind of hard and keep it under control

I have worked with countless kids over the years helping them become pitchers and always tell people as long as your kid wants to put in the work I can teach them to throw hard enough to at least get a college scholarship

Awesome! If I figure it out, I won't spill the beans. One of my cousins played pitcher for Cleveland and Astros in the 90s., I actually framed his baseball card in my game room.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Awesome! If I figure it out, I won't spill the beans. One of my cousins played pitcher for Cleveland and Astros in the 90s., I actually framed his baseball card in my game room.
Able to say who he is openly?

Same timeframe so was just curious as I retired in 2000

Bond007

Think i got it myself. Big baseball and basketball fan here- i think its great you are giving back to the game.

havoc00

I was drafted in 1987 and called up a couple of times until 1990 where I was fortunate enough to stay until I retired in 2000 when I hit that magical 10 years to be fully vested in the pension
What was the toughest aspect of being a middle reliever? was it more mental? did you have a hard time getting amped up if you were coming into a game where your team was down big etc?

Nydius

I think women are inherently more critical of women, generally. My wife, who knows very little about baseball outside of having to listen to it for the 22 years we've been married, absolutely LOATHES the A's female play-by-play broadcaster, Jenny Cavnar. To the point where if I want to watch an A's home broadcast on MLBtv, she asks me to use an alternate radio feed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What was the toughest aspect of being a middle reliever? was it more mental? did you have a hard time getting amped up if you were coming into a game where your team was down big etc?
Toughest aspect was by far having to mentally prep for literally everyone in the next series and not knowing when or even if I would be used. Sometimes pitching 3 days in a row or sometimes being off 5 days

To me score usually didn't matter because I always tried to keep them right where they were score wise no matter if we were up big or down big

Harder part was being out of the race by even the All Star game when morale was just dead in the clubhouse. That was the hardest to stay sharp and not say hey I am taking tonight off and going to toss up some meatballs

Prepping was quite hard back then as you couldn't just pull up film on your ipad

Leads into a story that at the time I didn't cherish as much as I do now

Faced Tony Gwynn one time and I was only a 3 pitch pitcher and while I was warming he was standing on deck watching me and he was yapping

I tossed a fastball and he said "That fastball I am slapping into left"

I toss an off speed and he says "That change I am taking into right"

I throw my worst pitch a curve and he says "That curve is right back up the middle I may hit you with it"

So he gets in the box and to prove to him I wasn't scared I threw that curve and he hits a rifle shot either right between my legs or right by me I didn't really see it

I look at him at first and he just shrugs and say "Told ya"

I don't remember the exact wording in our exchange because at the time I was pissed and just didn't value those memories like I do now, but thats essentially how it went.

havoc00

Toughest aspect was by far having to mentally prep for literally everyone in the next series and not knowing when or even if I would be used. Sometimes pitching 3 days in a row or sometimes being off 5 days

To me score usually didn't matter because I always tried to keep them right where they were score wise no matter if we were up big or down big

Harder part was being out of the race by even the All Star game when morale was just dead in the clubhouse. That was the hardest to stay sharp and not say hey I am taking tonight off and going to toss up some meatballs

Prepping was quite hard back then as you couldn't just pull up film on your ipad

Leads into a story that at the time I didn't cherish as much as I do now

Faced Tony Gwynn one time and I was only a 3 pitch pitcher and while I was warming he was standing on deck watching me and he was yapping

I tossed a fastball and he said "That fastball I am slapping into left"

I toss an off speed and he says "That change I am taking into right"

I throw my worst pitch a curve and he says "That curve is right back up the middle I may hit you with it"

So he gets in the box and to prove to him I wasn't scared I threw that curve and he hits a rifle shot either right between my legs or right by me I didn't really see it

I look at him at first and he just shrugs and say "Told ya"

I don't remember the exact wording in our exchange because at the time I was pissed and just didn't value those memories like I do now, but thats essentially how it went.
I know you didnt play everyday but what was the grind like of such a long season? Did it start to wear on you always being on the field 6 days in a row, a travel day etc.... Or did was it always a good time? Or did the omg im in the big leagues start to wear off a few years in? Also do those mound visitts ever do anything for a pitcher or is it one of those things that is just in the game and managers do it because?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I know you didnt play everyday but what was the grind like of such a long season? Did it start to wear on you always being on the field 6 days in a row, a travel day etc.... Or did was it always a good time? Or did the omg im in the big leagues start to wear off a few years in? Also do those mound visitts ever do anything for a pitcher or is it one of those things that is just in the game and managers do it because?
The grind is a killer and I don't want to sound like I am complaining because I know its a kids game and there are people out there who work a lot harder than pro athletes

Unless I was injured I didn't take a single day off except one week of the year right after season simply because I knew I wasn't great but just good enough to be there and I wasn't going to lose my job to lack of effort

I never tried to take for granted what I got to do because I know how few of people have ever done it so literally every time I went to a new ballpark I wanted to walk it everywhere and see everything those parks had to offer

Most of the times mound visits are to let the pitcher slow down and catch his breath and every coach has their own style

I had coaches who would come out there and cuss you and one coach the first thing out of his mouth every time was "Does my breath stink" just to try and get you to relax

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
No reason not to use AI at this point, call up Madden's estate and see if they're cool with it. I bet they would be.
It's a perfect use case for AI. You could have highly dynamic commentators that respond intelligently to the entire situation of the game, even of the whole season, and variously tuned personalities to emphasize different aspects or even debate with each other.

Unfortunately, EA owns it so there won't be any innovation.

Top Bottom