• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 25 commentators this year as a new low for the series

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Spiffing. Pimms will be served at 20:00 hours precisely on the lawn along with cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

Scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam is available from the kitchen. Just ask the butler.
I've only just noticed your avatar, holy shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

inJhBcQ.gif

I've heard some absolutely excellent and knowledgeable female commentors, but they were commenting on women stuff like gymnastics, figure skating and dressage. Let men and women stick to what they're good at.

T-0800

I have never given many details here because I found out years ago it never goes well because people always want more like trying to bug people who are on my friends lists and silly minor stuff

Will give credit to about 4 people here who actually figured it out, one just a few days ago in fact

All I usually tell people is I was a member of the 1990 Cincinnati Reds pitching staff and no not one of the Bad Boys

I was an average middle reliever that got lucky I could throw kind of hard and keep it under control

I have worked with countless kids over the years helping them become pitchers and always tell people as long as your kid wants to put in the work I can teach them to throw hard enough to at least get a college scholarship

The part I can't teach them is not killing the batter in the process
Baseball is cricket for babies.

Also,.....

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Baseball is cricket for babies.

Also,.....

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

I had to have a rib removed from it getting shattered so bad from Cecil Fielder hitting a liner back at me throwing batting practice one day :)

Not to mention the dozen or so surgeries on my wrist and shoulder from throwing a billion or so baseballs

T-0800

I had to have a rib removed from it getting shattered so bad from Cecil Fielder hitting a liner back at me throwing batting practice one day :)

Not to mention the dozen or so surgeries on my wrist and shoulder from throwing a billion or so baseballs
I was hit in mouth playing cricket and was knocked out cold. No one blames the bowler for that as it was my fault for missing the ball. In Baseball the two teams would probably have started fighting.

I couldn't eat for properly for 2 weeks. The upside is my now wife who wasn't even my girlfriend at the time felt sorry for me. Pity love? I'll take it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I did a double take when it said "taking a deep shot here." I thought it said something else.

Anyway, I came up with Joe Montana sports talk football. This is fine.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was hit in mouth playing cricket and was knocked out cold. No one blames the bowler for that as it was my fault for missing the ball. In Baseball the two teams would probably have started fighting.

I couldn't eat for properly for 2 weeks. The upside is my now wife who wasn't even my girlfriend at the time felt sorry for me. Pity love? I'll take it.
Ouch

Yeah headshot was usually instant bench clearing and for sure retaliation

In fact very early in my career I knew I wasn't high on the totem pole of being needed when we had a little scuffle on the field after some bean ball and my skipper had to start warming fast

Both benches had been warned no more throwing at each other

My manager met me at the mound and flat told me don't worry about warming up much more you need to hit the first batter square in the back knowing I would get ejected

Thanks Lou

Kings Field

Ouch

Yeah headshot was usually instant bench clearing and for sure retaliation

In fact very early in my career I knew I wasn't high on the totem pole of being needed when we had a little scuffle on the field after some bean ball and my skipper had to start warming fast

Both benches had been warned no more throwing at each other

My manager met me at the mound and flat told me don't worry about warming up much more you need to hit the first batter square in the back knowing I would get ejected

Thanks Lou

Depending on what year you played you might have played with my uncle Chris Nabholz. He started in 1990 with the Expos and finished with the Cubs in 1995. He was a pitcher.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The over excited nature of it is giving me Ridge Racer vibes. It wouldn't surprise me if they recorded most of this with AI.

Hopefully they still have the option to turn off the announcers and just go with the PA voice.

Edit: When you don't cherry pick it isn't nearly as bad.

The first crew there doesn't sound bad, the second one isn't as good because of Scott. Not because she is a woman, but because of the tone and styling of her particular voice (or at least the way it is presented here). But even that isn't as bad since every play isn't a gamebreaker in a normal play through.

The idea of the different announcer crews is something they could build on. Adds a bit of differentiation between games.

Last edited:
I have never given many details here because I found out years ago it never goes well because people always want more like trying to bug people who are on my friends lists and silly minor stuff

Will give credit to about 4 people here who actually figured it out, one just a few days ago in fact

All I usually tell people is I was a member of the 1990 Cincinnati Reds pitching staff and no not one of the Bad Boys

I was an average middle reliever that got lucky I could throw kind of hard and keep it under control

I have worked with countless kids over the years helping them become pitchers and always tell people as long as your kid wants to put in the work I can teach them to throw hard enough to at least get a college scholarship

The part I can't teach them is not killing the batter in the process
You were a red leg? No way!

I was drafted in 1987 and called up a couple of times until 1990 where I was fortunate enough to stay until I retired in 2000 when I hit that magical 10 years to be fully vested in the pension
Mannnnn this is the type of thread derail that I live for! I have a question about today’s pitchers. What do you think about all these young guns getting injured at an alarming rate. I saw an MLB Live session where Pedro Martinez was talking about elbow movement and how kids today are throwing hard, and not necessarily pitching. Thoughts? The art of pitching always fascinated me.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Mannnnn this is the type of thread derail that I live for! I have a question about today’s pitchers. What do you think about all these young guns getting injured at an alarming rate. I saw an MLB Live session where Pedro Martinez was talking about elbow movement and how kids today are throwing hard, and not necessarily pitching. Thoughts? The art of pitching always fascinated me.
I have worked with kids as a private instructor basically since I retired in 2000 and what every Jr High and High School coach (and dads everywhere) want the kids throwing harder and harder

The amount of kids blowing out their arms as even Freshmen in High School is alarming not to mention the amount of stress and torque pitchers have gone through to even make it to be drafted.

I have said before I can teach literally any kid the mechanics to throw hard

I know I have seen many say its because some people are teaching a curve too early (I wont introduce a curve until they are old enough to drive) but having been to so many youth, Jr High and High School games many people honestly can't spot the difference between a curve and just an offspeed if the kid can disguise it well enough

All that said yeah I agree its just kids pitching harder and harder and the elbow isn't mature enough for that much torque

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I will follow up with I think another problem is the kids that only focus on one sport also hurts

Example one of my nephews while growing up his family (My wife's sister) and us were super close until we started living part time in Florida so he is another one I worked with at a super young age and still do at times.

He is 15 close to turning 16 and he had a little speech problem that made his parent hold him back from starting 1st grade so in 8th grade at age 15 he was a year sometimes 2 older than all the other kids

He played Varsity baseball as an 8th grader because he would touch 80 MPH at 15 years old

Over this last summer all he did was work on his speed in his batting cage at home and according to their radar gun he has now touched 85 and about to turn 16

Sure if his arm holds together this kid will 100% get drafted but he is already having elbow pain but his dad is like "If you want to make the majors you push through it"

StereoVsn

I will follow up with I think another problem is the kids that only focus on one sport also hurts

Example one of my nephews while growing up his family (My wife's sister) and us were super close until we started living part time in Florida so he is another one I worked with at a super young age and still do at times.

He is 15 close to turning 16 and he had a little speech problem that made his parent hold him back from starting 1st grade so in 8th grade at age 15 he was a year sometimes 2 older than all the other kids

He played Varsity baseball as an 8th grader because he would touch 80 MPH at 15 years old

Over this last summer all he did was work on his speed in his batting cage at home and according to their radar gun he has now touched 85 and about to turn 16

Sure if his arm holds together this kid will 100% get drafted but he is already having elbow pain but his dad is like "If you want to make the majors you push through it"
That’s very interesting stuff. Do kids in baseball work to build up all the supporting musculature? One would think especially in baseball, considering the shoulder/arm/wrist moves, overall large muscle strengthening would be a big focus.

Back in the 90s when I was playing football and also wrestled in high school and then a bit in college, there was a decent amount of focus on large movement body exercises.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That’s very interesting stuff. Do kids in baseball work to build up all the supporting musculature? One would think especially in baseball, considering the shoulder/arm/wrist moves, overall large muscle strengthening would be a big focus.

Back in the 90s when I was playing football and also wrestled in high school and then a bit in college, there was a decent amount of focus on large movement body exercises.
The kids that want to work at it do find exercise routines to strengthen the joints most prone to failure

There are now so many programs and actual schools to attend for these kids its unreal as my nephew attends a (I think its) Driveline training in Indianapolis and the tech they use to help these kids and even the pros is insane

Another example is a great friend has his second son that had a great career in basketball at a small school called Heritage Hills (where my son went) but his senior year transferred to Montverde Academy in Florida because he will get much better training and even nutritional coaching to prep for D1 college basketball, likely Purdue

StereoVsn

The kids that want to work at it do find exercise routines to strengthen the joints most prone to failure

There are now so many programs and actual schools to attend for these kids its unreal as my nephew attends a (I think its) Driveline training in Indianapolis and the tech they use to help these kids and even the pros is insane

Another example is a great friend has his second son that had a great career in basketball at a small school called Heritage Hills (where my son went) but his senior year transferred to Montverde Academy in Florida because he will get much better training and even nutritional coaching to prep for D1 college basketball, likely Purdue
Yeah, the options and variety of training programs is kind of mind boggling (and expensive) now days. It’s a completely different world vs back in the 90s! Back then both nutritional and exercise regiments weren’t as nearly complex.

Heck, my kids are into tennis quite a bit, but not at a super competitive level. And between camps, nutrition and exercise recommendations and trying to get into various clubs, it’s tiring as a parent, not to mention as kids.

Edit: And of course we can’t forget the absolutely dumb advice provided by the damn TikTok. and YouTube Shorts influencers. While regular YouTube format videos often do have good amount of info or advice , those short term format videos are like 97% trash.

Last edited:
I was drafted in 1987 and called up a couple of times until 1990 where I was fortunate enough to stay until I retired in 2000 when I hit that magical 10 years to be fully vested in the pension
I was drafted in 99 by the Yankees. Pretty sure it's because Steinbrenner was a Cleveland fan. He told me he would have killed it in Cleveland if they would have let him have the team.

I never made it up the the bigs. Making about 1000 a month will do that to ya and arm injuries.

Kudos brother.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah, the options and variety of training programs is kind of mind boggling (and expensive) now days. It’s a completely different world vs back in the 90s! Back then both nutritional and exercise regiments weren’t as nearly complex.

Heck, my kids are into tennis quite a bit, but not at a super competitive level. And between camps, nutrition and exercise recommendations and trying to get into various clubs, it’s tiring as a parent, not to mention as kids.
And expensive :)

My "training" was training old baseballs in our barn (grew up on a farm) at some old burlap sacks
I was drafted in 99 by the Yankees. Pretty sure it's because Steinbrenner was a Cleveland fan. He told me he would have killed it in Cleveland if they would have let him have the team.

I never made it up the the bigs. Making about 1000 a month will do that to ya and arm injuries.

Kudos brother.
Sorry to hear that as yeah staying healthy was just a huge part of my luck as I saw much more talented players than myself lose their career over injuries

And yes that minor league pay (and travel) sucks ass

My "training" was training old baseballs in our barn (grew up on a farm) at some old burlap sacks

Sorry to hear that as yeah staying healthy was just a huge part of my luck as I saw much more talented players than myself lose their career over injuries

And by my time my 90 mph cheese was below average. I don't regret it, I got a few years on the bus.

I always say as a pitcher I'm a hell of a project manager.

Those bus rides and shit "clubhouses" man I don't miss that
Clubhouses. Somebody is playing AAA here! Lol.

I remember play a game where we had to change on the bus because the clubhouse on our side had flooded. All 26 fans got a show.

And Rose should be in the hall. I had a fellow Michigan man play for the Reds. Barry Larkin. A good man.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Clubhouses. Somebody is playing AAA here! Lol.

And Rose should be in the hall. I had a fellow Michigan man play for the Reds. Barry Larkin.
Totally agree about Pete, dude is a real flake these days but always enjoy chatting with him as have seen him many times

Weird flex here and Barry would never admit this now but one of my first quads win in Fortnite was with Barry, his son Shane myself and my son since our sons are fairly close in age

Totally agree about Pete, dude is a real flake these days but always enjoy chatting with him as have seen him many times

Weird flex here and Barry would never admit this now but one of my first quads win in Fortnite was with Barry, his son Shane myself and my son since our sons are fairly close in age
There's some questionable stuff I've heard about him they don't talk about much but damn. The man leads the league in hits. Put him on the ballot and let the writers decide.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There's some questionable stuff I've heard about him they don't talk about much but damn. The man leads the league in hits. Put him on the ballot and let the writers decide.
Likely the stuff you have heard is correct as he is odd to put it nicely but yeah we shouldn't have a HOF without him in it

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
100%.

But I've hijacked this thread. Sorry all.

I don't like women announcing sports they can't play but it's the way of the world. Get use to it.
Totally with you

I don't need a woman from ESPN breaking down how to hit a 100 mph fastball 430 feet in game 7 of the World Series

StereoVsn

Yep, I used to train just in basic weight room and running. Special nutrition was Taco Bell bowl and Sizzler. 😂

Thanks for the input really appreciate the response. From what I’m reading, I don’t think we’ll see a Greg Maddux type pitcher for a long time now. ☹️

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Won't happen again ever. Gotta throw 100 your arm be damned. You know this.

Also how does one throw a 96 mph sinker?
Living in Jupiter Fl I used to help some of the St Louis Cardinal rookies acclimate to sudden wealth so I was around their facility a lot in Spring training and have seen Jordan Hicks top 104mph with a sinker

When he really wanted to let it go he could touch 106 but lost a lot of control.

Living in Jupiter Fl I used to help some of the St Louis Cardinal rookies acclimate to sudden wealth so I was around their facility a lot in Spring training and have seen Jordan Hicks top 104mph with a sinker

When he really wanted to let it go he could touch 106 but lost a lot of control.
Crazy. Where did that come from? When I was a freshman in college 90 meant you had some heat. By my senior year we had 3 guys throwing 95.

marquimvfs

As redditor bobfudge21 said "Kate Scott sounds like a commentator for a Nickelodeon broadcast"

I normally am never bothered by this stuff but when you hear what sounds like a mom cheering on her pee wee kids in flag football, it takes you out of the game. She's not the only problem, she's just the most jarring because of how overly excited she is about every play. The other commentary is so bland and generic.

Mike Tirico sounds like they used AI to voice him. "Another. Great. Play. From. The. Forty. Nine. Ers."

Sorry to share TikTok but this is the best example of how poor it is. Enjoy.

I don't play USA Football games and don't follow the games very closely, but that for sure seems cheap as fuck. Looks like a beefed up PS3 game.

Top Bottom