• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
I look forward to our next game very much. You kicked my ass pretty soundly in the first game, and I returned the favor for the second game. This rubber match should a true test of skills and wills. I know what you're going to do, you know what I'm going to do... so this game should leave no doubt.

I know you like to lower expectations and "surprise" everyone with your success, but between now and Saturday I'm going to make preparations to ensure you get my A game. I expect you'll bring your A game too, so it's anyone's guess who will come out on top. It'll be great fun, and I think we should schedule a time so others here can watch the action from Xbox.com
Say what you will but the only reason I ever beat you is because you hadn't played the game in a few days and couldn't shake the rust. You and I both know that. You're a better player than me, remember that you also beat me in the super bowl last year. Your 38-10 win over me is more of how a game between us should go than the other one.

Fifty

Now that Sickboy is playing his game (10-7 Sick in the thread, another huge upset?!) this round will blaze by. These playoffs might be our quickest (but best!) yet

Sickboy said:
EDIT: And what's the deal with people with 14-2 records talking about how they're going to lose? (that applies to 13-3, too, Wellie)

It is an attempt to lure you into a false sense of security...fall for it and you'll get murdered bro!

Edit- (14-10 Ando, man that would be very San Diego like for Ando to go one and done! Upset of the year potentially....)

daw840

FrenchMovieTheme said:
we play tonight DM. be ready old friend!

BTW DM, this is who will really be behind the controller!!!!

Picture006.jpg

LukeSmith

Lonestar said:
Wait, another person who couldn't properly call fair catch???

FMT!!

Yeah it's just if you kick it so shittily that the returner runs up toward it and arrives at about the same time as the Coverage team you can't call Fair Catch as regularly as you can otherwise.

It is officially my new punt strategy until banned!

REGGIE ROBY FUTURE

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
FMT, you will win. Unless John Madden doesn't want you to. Which he doesn't, btw.

DM Wins on Punt glitches that he knowingly causes. Because he is Tom Brady.

Ando must have got a pick-6 because it turned from a 17-10 game to 24-10 really quick. I guess that upset city special has been officially derailed.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Shawnwhann said:
It is an attempt to lure you into a false sense of security...fall for it and you'll get murdered bro!

Edit- (14-10 Ando, man that would be very San Diego like for Ando to go one and done! Upset of the year potentially....)

You've beaten me 3 of 4 lifetime and the one win I have is with you not having practiced for days.

Andokuky

Banned
GG. Champ Jesus Bailey would not let me lose. Opens the game with a 32 yard INT for a touchdown then with the score 17-10, blows the game open with a 57 yard punt return FTW.

SickBoy

Done in by a punt return, thanks to Luke Smith-planted seeds of doubt! :(

GG Ando, Javon Walker really is the win button...

EDIT:I'll enter stats after I'm ready for work

LukeSmith

SickBoy said:
Done in by a punt return, thanks to Luke Smith-planted seeds of doubt! :(

GG Ando, Javon Walker really is the win button...

EDIT:I'll enter stats after I'm ready for work

I wish my vengeance didn't have to come at Ando's success!

Andokuky

Banned
LukeSmith said:
I wish my vengeance didn't have to come at Ando's success!

I know. It's a shame you weren't good enough to be the one who knocks me out :(

But at least now, at worst, I can continue my pattern of AFC title game loss followed by 1 and done followed by AFC title game loss followed by one and done*. Last year = one and done so this season must end, in Denver,
against Oakland

*- Not counting the blasphemous season in Baltimore

LukeSmith

Andokuky said:
I know. It's a shame you weren't good enough to be the one who knocks me out :(

But at least now, at worst, I can continue my pattern of AFC title game loss followed by 1 and done followed by AFC title game loss followed by one and done*. Last year = one and done so this season must end, in Denver,
against Oakland

*- Not counting the blasphemous season in Baltimore

I was 2-0 against cheesy ass bullshit this year beating both you and Vumpler, my season was a victory! And next year it's the Cleo Lemon redemption song.

Ando said:
GG. Champ Jesus Bailey would not let me lose. Opens the game with a 32 yard INT for a touchdown then with the score 17-10, blows the game open with a 57 yard punt return FTW.

Why anyone kicks to you on punt returns is beyond me.

A minimal amount of research on your game would tell anyone:

-Single Coverage on Javon is playing with "spectacular" fire
-Kicking to Champ isn't smart on kickoffs and punts
-Throwing to Champ's side requires certain rules.

Congrats though, the AFC final should be a great game!

Andokuky

Banned
I was 2-0 against cheesy ass bullshit this year beating both you and Vumpler, my season was a victory! And next year it's the Cleo Lemon redemption song.

I hadn't created my super unassignable WR package hax at that time.

SickBoy

I wasn't trying to kick to Champ, I just can't help it. I am that bad at kicking. I can get a full bar, but outside of that, whatever happens, happens. (Felt good about my OS kick, though).

EDIT: And to add to my Shawnhann response, I can't do much more than have two guys on Walker downfield to try to stop him... I guess I could manually control a third guy.

Ando, what formation is it that gets your ends lined up so wide?

Felt pretty good about the game, I've got complaints with my playcalling -- should've switched up my passing attack earlier, for example, and called a couple of different audibles on both sides of the ball in a couple of key situations, but all in all, my defensive gameplan worked out more or less fine and that was my big focus. (Oddly enough, more or less the same gameplan I used against the Colts... which was a big departure from the style I played for the lion's share of the year)

Rule clarification may be needed. It wasn't a factor in our game, but my impression was that you can't pinch a three-man line whatsoever. In the league rules, though, it states only that you can't pinch a 3-4. Again, I don't think it made a difference, but if my interpretation is right, it would be nice to see it clarified.

Andokuky

Banned
The formation I was calling was just a regular nickel and idk why he was lining a little further out but Dumervil was lined up in his regular spot. I normally don't even use that formation, if I need 4 down lineman and an extra DB I will just go dime but you kept pounding the ball up the middle out of 3WR sets so I figured I would go nickel and bunch the two LB's in the middle. The only downside would be the quick passes to your FB might be a little more open but luckily you didn't throw it to him anymore.

I did bunch a 3 line set, I thought the rules were that you can't bunch your line AND crash or whatever. I only did it 3-4 times in quarter when you came out in a 4 wide set just in case you called a draw or something. My bad if it was against the rules.

SickBoy said:
Rule clarification may be needed. It wasn't a factor in our game, but my impression was that you can't pinch a three-man line whatsoever. In the league rules, though, it states only that you can't pinch a 3-4. Again, I don't think it made a difference, but if my interpretation is right, it would be nice to see it clarified.

I mentioned that it should be changed to 3 man line regardless but it wasnt. The pinching+crashing agap pressure works with all 3 man line de contain plays not just those out of the 3-4.

Fifty

There's some dispute over what's actually exploiting the game. I've PINCHED (to stop the run) but not CRASHED with a 3 man line as the Ravens, many many times and it never felt like cheese. However when I tested out crashing on certain plays with a 3 man line (it all started when LJ posted that video) my guys could get through easily. It's a tough issue to regulate. I feel for those 3-4 D players who can't pinch now..I hope stopping the run is still possible.

SickBoy

Andokuky said:
The formation I was calling was just a regular nickel and idk why he was lining a little further out but Dumervil was lined up in his regular spot. I normally don't even use that formation, if I need 4 down lineman and an extra DB I will just go dime but you kept pounding the ball up the middle out of 3WR sets so I figured I would go nickel and bunch the two LB's in the middle. The only downside would be the quick passes to your FB might be a little more open but luckily you didn't throw it to him anymore.

I did bunch a 3 line set, I thought the rules were that you can't bunch your line AND crash or whatever. I only did it 3-4 times in quarter when you came out in a 4 wide set just in case you called a draw or something. My bad if it was against the rules.

Thought it might have been nickel -- was just curious... sometimes it looked like some weird offset 3-4 or something. (At first I thought he was lined up *really* wide, but after seeing it again, Dumervil was lined up around the same point, just that the TE was always over there)

As for the bunching, yeah, according to the rules it's just a 3-4 anyhow, so strictly speaking, you weren't doing anything wrong. It didn't bother me and I don't think it affected much. So don't worry about it. I just noticed it, and I think it's important that the powers that be address it so that it doesn't become some big deal down the road (if it is indeed supposed to be in the rules).

EDIT: As for 3-4 stopping the run, I don't find I'm hamstrung at all by not being able to pinch -- I've never done it much, anyhow.

EDIT 2: BTW, not bitter or anything, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. I thought after all the talk this year you played a clean game.

LJ11

SickBoy said:

3-Man lines in the 3-2-6 formation and Quarters have the DE's spread out pretty far.

Edit: Just saw your post. There's a formation in the Pats Defensive Playbook called 2-4-5 (it's a nickel formation). You have 2 down linemen and 4 LB's, however you can package sub DE's instead of using OLB's. That may have been the offset 3-4 Nickel you described.

SickBoy

Quite possibly it could've been man coverage, which might explain what I was seeing with regards to the linebackers... or even just a LB shift... but this really doesn't matter. I was just curious! :)

LJ11

Andokuky said:
I use the 46 playbook, it was just a regular nickel formation, Rice just lined up a little wide for some reason.

There's a big gap between the RE and the NT in standard Nickel, so I guess that was it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If I make it home soon (probabably 1 to 1 1/2 hours) I'll game some if you want. We can test out new teams.

Sickboy said:
I wasn't trying to kick to Champ, I just can't help it. I am that bad at kicking. I can get a full bar, but outside of that, whatever happens, happens. (Felt good about my OS kick, though).

EDIT: And to add to my Shawnhann response, I can't do much more than have two guys on Walker downfield to try to stop him... I guess I could manually control a third guy.

Felt pretty good about the game, I've got complaints with my playcalling -- should've switched up my passing attack earlier, for example, and called a couple of different audibles on both sides of the ball in a couple of key situations, but all in all, my defensive gameplan worked out more or less fine and that was my big focus. (Oddly enough, more or less the same gameplan I used against the Colts... which was a big departure from the style I played for the lion's share of the year)

I can certianly understand your frustration, but there are ways to take a player out of the game.

I have been in games where someone would damn near exclusively throw to one player

After seeing enough of it..... I would hot route a lb to help cover a wide receiver to get a very specific message across.... You will have to throw to somebody else because you have two guys playing man on you with safety help along with a "highlight player" AI cue. Maybe it's easier for me because I have a shutdown corner, but with the exception of one game no one player has beat me. I'm very curious to see how Ando is utilizing Walker because his stats are beyond exceptional. I dont think it's a question of what one player has had the biggest impact on his team. It's Walker.

As far as kicking goes, aim that visual arrow out of bounds and make sure your motion on the right stick mirrors how you need to stay within the accuracy area. Luckily for me EA blessed Nick "Money" Folk with nice leg strength on the update, so my opponents are typically going to have to start at the 20 yard line unless I fuck up the kick.

Lastly, the best antidote for a pressure defense is a steady diet of audibles and hot routes. Get a feel for where the pressure is coming from and get your skill players isolated in those abandoned areas. I can't tell you enough about how that helps me when players bringing the blitzes.

Hopefully you can find some point in there of value for next season.

Ramirez

Well, I just forfeited in the 4th. I got picked 3 times on single coverage, where my WR had the inside pattern and some how the guy magically picks it. 4 man rush causing terror all game, seemed like every WR had double coverage yet I had no time to throw. Sucks to lose on a game like that, but whatever.

Fifty

Ramirez said:
Well, I just forfeited in the 4th. I got picked 3 times on single coverage, where my WR had the inside pattern and some how the guy magically picks it. 4 man rush causing terror all game, seemed like every WR had double coverage yet I had no time to throw. Sucks to lose on a game like that, but whatever.

Damn, that sucks. Those short passes (I'm assuming it's short if you said inside pattern) can be really risky this year due to some weird INT animations pushing the WR out of the way.

Rorschach

Welp, gg, Ram.

Jordan's first breakaway of the entire season. He's usually not fast enough to outrun the people behind him, but everyone was in on the blitz except one guy slightly slower than Jordan.

My whole thing was gonna be cover Heath and Parker and let Ward beat me. After that first great punt return that put you in scoring range, that was ridding atop Parker's legs and capped off by Miller, I remembered what my plan was and snapped out of it. Miller was in triple coverage all game. Besides a couple of times where Holmes burned me because he was in single on that side, it worked pretty well and Ward didn't have a single grab. The middle of the field was always covered and Heath always had 2 guys on him minimum.

After the first couple of drives, I thought I'd be lucky to not get blown out.

The upset train continues in the AFC! It's pretty amazing how the Raiders have been able to dominate so far in these playoffs. If I dont win the Super Bowl, I'm pretty open to the prospect of taking the Raiders as I'm sure many will sleep on them.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome on the Bucs vs. 49ers!

Rorschach

Shawnwhann said:
The upset train continues in the AFC! It's pretty amazing how the Raiders have been able to dominate so far in these playoffs. If I dont win the Super Bowl, I'm pretty open to the prospect of taking the Raiders as I'm sure many will sleep on them.
wat

Rorschach

Slo said:
The choice is yours Rors, either tank so you can pick before Shawn, or run the table.
Meh, if I get the Dolphins, it's a step way up in every aspect. Any team is an upgrade if you're used to the worst team. Shawn thinks it's real easy, but he'll have a tough division. I'll be happy if he takes them to the playoffs. There aren't a lot of ups playing with the worst team, but I was going to take them again just because I don't want to see someone take them 0-16. And if I'm playing with a shit team anyway (since I'm low on the board), I might as well play with the team I love and have been playing with since the beginning. I think they will be in good hands if Shawn takes them, though. :D

Top Bottom