• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden Season 10 Official Thread: I want you back for good!

gg to dm, final score 49ers win 17-9.

the game started with a frank gore 26 yard run. then i punted. then DM punted back to me. i got a VD td. then DM came back w/ a fg before the half. i drove all the way down field inside his 5 and had to settle for a FG b/c i ran out of timeouts and feared i would get no points. 10-3 at the half.

dm takes the opening kick to about my 40, then has to punt, i go 3 and out, dm drives again and gets another fg. i get a HUGE vd TD to make it 17-6. dm gets a late fg and comes inches away from securing the onside kick.

now i await the winner of dallas new york!

DMczaf

i get a HUGE vd TD to make it 17-6.

You better make that HUGE even HUGER! Thats the only reason I left DMBall! Fucking VD's 69 yard TD was a gamebreaker late in the 3rd quarter. Before that, it was just how I like it. Low scoring, slow, lots of punts!

Now you win the Super Bowl, or my loss will be for nothing! WIN FOR JGAR!

SickBoy

Shawnwhann said:
I can certianly understand your frustration, but there are ways to take a player out of the game.

I have been in games where someone would damn near exclusively throw to one player

After seeing enough of it..... I would hot route a lb to help cover a wide receiver to get a very specific message across.... You will have to throw to somebody else because you have two guys playing man on you with safety help along with a "highlight player" AI cue. Maybe it's easier for me because I have a shutdown corner, but with the exception of one game no one player has beat me. I'm very curious to see how Ando is utilizing Walker because his stats are beyond exceptional. I dont think it's a question of what one player has had the biggest impact on his team. It's Walker.

As far as kicking goes, aim that visual arrow out of bounds and make sure your motion on the right stick mirrors how you need to stay within the accuracy area. Luckily for me EA blessed Nick "Money" Folk with nice leg strength on the update, so my opponents are typically going to have to start at the 20 yard line unless I fuck up the kick.

Hopefully you can find some point in there of value for next season.

I think I understand what you're saying with regards to kicking. I should get some practice in, but I generally only fire up Madden for league games.

As for D, I appreciate the advice, but I think my defensive gameplan worked fine. Despite Walker's numbers, and the fact that he did things that Chad Johnson generally hasn't done for me all year, the simple fact is I held his offense to 10(?) points. Walker helped set up 7 of those by pulling off one of those miracle leaping catches. Knowing how Ando terrorized other teams and racked up big wins, I'm not upset about losing by 7, and I definitely don't blame my playcalling, knowing that 14 of his points came on big play returns.

Likewise on O. I could've played better, and adjusted quicker, but I don't feel like I played a bad game at all. Simeon Rice made the PA impossible, mind you (karma for game 1 vs. Ramirez?)

I'm very curious to see how Ando is utilizing Walker because his stats are beyond exceptional. I dont think it's a question of what one player has had the biggest impact on his team. It's Walker.

utilizing is the correct word, i dont think that he abuses him. he likes to throw a variety of passes. although walker has most of his yards, the threat is there for other players and being that he is a competent passer you have to respect all. he'll also lineup trips to one side with walker being the very inside receiver (#4 receiver) when he does this and you try to "highlight player", you can't. because walker is the "RT" receiver, and being that you are holding RT down to bring that up, there is no function to highlight walker in that formation. but i believe you can still double him.

p.s. with walker it doesn't hurt that he is spectacular catch

LJ11

FrenchMovieTheme said:
utilizing is the correct word, i dont think that he abuses him. he likes to throw a variety of passes. although walker has most of his yards, the threat is there for other players and being that he is a competent passer you have to respect all. he'll also lineup trips to one side with walker being the very inside receiver (#4 receiver) when he does this and you try to "highlight player", you can't. because walker is the "RT" receiver, and being that you are holding RT down to bring that up, there is no function to highlight walker in that formation. but i believe you can still double him.

p.s. with walker it doesn't hurt that he is spectacular catch

Shouldn't it be the RB button instead of the RT? I've never noticed this in the game.

Ramirez

SickBoy said:
I think I understand what you're saying with regards to kicking. I should get some practice in, but I generally only fire up Madden for league games.

As for D, I appreciate the advice, but I think my defensive gameplan worked fine. Despite Walker's numbers, and the fact that he did things that Chad Johnson generally hasn't done for me all year, the simple fact is I held his offense to 10(?) points. Walker helped set up 7 of those by pulling off one of those miracle leaping catches. Knowing how Ando terrorized other teams and racked up big wins, I'm not upset about losing by 7, and I definitely don't blame my playcalling, knowing that 14 of his points came on big play returns.

Likewise on O. I could've played better, and adjusted quicker, but I don't feel like I played a bad game at all. Simeon Rice made the PA impossible, mind you (karma for game 1 vs. Ramirez?)

I haven't had time to throw since that game, it's like my line just said fuck it and quit trying or something.

Slo

If Walker is being reassigned to the RT, I think that control scheme needs to be banned for season 2. It's hole in EA's code, and I doubt Ando is exploiting it on purpose, but obviously no player should be allowed to use a control scheme that negatively affects or limits the gameplay of his opponent.

What is the precise reasoning players can take control of a defender to make a pick but not a WR to make a catch?

1. taking control of a wr is a guaranteed catch if the ball hits his hands (which its not with a DB)

2. manual wr control (especially with a spectacular catch wr) can be abused horribly. not so with a CB!

if you want a bunch of vumplers running around the league thats what you'll get with manual wr catching!

Andokuky

Banned
Andokuky said:
I know. It's a shame you weren't good enough to be the one who knocks me out :(

But at least now, at worst, I can continue my pattern of AFC title game loss followed by 1 and done followed by AFC title game loss followed by one and done*. Last year = one and done so this season must end, in Denver,
against Oakland

*- Not counting the blasphemous season in Baltimore

215px-Palpatine_ROTJ.jpg

Everything is happening exactly as I have foreseen.

Andokuky

Banned
Uh why the hell didn't anyone bring up the Walker thing in trips formation sooner than Luke once the playoffs had already started? :lol Yeah I changed my controls around to make them as much like delicious old gen Madden as possible. And then I had to change them around again when my profile got f'd up. Thanks for explaining it in detail though, I'll be sure to practice some more plays out of that formation :lol

MrBob said:

Cutler: 11-15 2 touchdowns 0 INT's 149 QB rating. Yes, stop Walker all you want :D

Shawnwhaan said:
I would hot route a lb to help cover a wide receiver

060818_broncos_vmed_1p.widec.jpg

A linebacker? On Jesus in a jersey? :lol

LukeSmith

Andokuky said:
Uh why the hell didn't anyone bring up the Walker thing in trips formation sooner than Luke once the playoffs had already started? :lol Yeah I changed my controls around to make them as much like delicious old gen Madden as possible. And then I had to change them around again when my profile got f'd up. Thanks for explaining it in detail though, I'll be sure to practice some more plays out of that formation :lol

Actually, it was mentioned in this thread earlier. Dunno if it was overlooked or not. Your wins are totally legit and untainted and everyone likes you.
except for me

Rorschach

Man, Saturday is 10 years away.... T_T
If we don't get spectator or video upload mode, I'm suing EA for being jerks. Everyone else gets something. >:|

PS: bring back man lock and bring in hot routes without having to switch defenders. kthx

Slo said:
It's hole in EA's code, and I doubt Ando is exploiting it on purpose

Andokuky said:
Thanks for explaining it in detail though, I'll be sure to practice some more plays out of that formation.

Just sayin'.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
FrenchMovieTheme said:
1. taking control of a wr is a guaranteed catch if the ball hits his hands (which its not with a DB)

2. manual wr control (especially with a spectacular catch wr) can be abused horribly. not so with a CB!

if you want a bunch of vumplers running around the league thats what you'll get with manual wr catching!

Can we take control of the WR if the ball is tipped or the QB is hit just as he throws?

DenogginizerOS said:
Can we take control of the WR if the ball is tipped or the QB is hit just as he throws?

I believe you are allowed to take manual control if your trying to prevent a interception.

Edit: The above is incorrect.

DenogginizerOS

sableholic said:
I believe you are allowed to take manual control if your trying to prevent a interception.

And if you catch it in the process? I lost a few picks because I was hit as I threw and I did NOT take control of the receiver. It seems to me that in the case of getting hit as you throw, you should be able to take control of your receiver to try and make a play, one way or another.

DenogginizerOS said:
And if you catch it in the process? I lost a few picks because I was hit as I threw and I did NOT take control of the receiver. It seems to me that in the case of getting hit as you throw, you should be able to take control of your receiver to try and make a play, one way or another.

No idea, just checked the rules and there is no manual catching allowed so I guess I was wrong about the int rule (I've never tried to manually catch with a wr so I dont pay attention to that stuff). So I guess even in the cases you mention you can't do it. I forgot about the whole discussion on this topic earlier on this year. So young and already losing my memory

hmm interesting stuff on the revelations about walker, controls, highlight player functionality, and the limitations that crop up as a result. I definitely think that for season two the default controls should be mandatory. Highlight player functionality is a big part if my game when I know someone is going to get the ball to certain player.

Congrats to the winners so far. Wellie and I are going to go at it tomorrow morning. If I win FMT, we are going have to try and play that night because I will be out of town from Sunday-tuesday of next week.

DenogginizerOS

Can season 3 be an abbreviated season with no rules? 10-12 games, no limitations. I am curious what the stats would be like.

6 minute quarters, all-star, etc.

Rorschach

DenogginizerOS said:
The old rule was that you could take control of the WR to swat the ball, but they took the swat button out for WRs. :lol

DenogginizerOS

Rorschach said:
The old rule was that you could take control of the WR to swat the ball, but they took the swat button out for WRs. :lol
Exactly. So, that is why I was wondering if I could control the receiver if the ball is tipped or underthrown due to being hit while throwing. With the spidey sense CB's and LB's in this game, an underthrown ball is almost a guaranteed INT.

Andokuky

Banned
Wellington said:
:lol :lol What is this??? :lol :lol

Rors dominated me both times we played, winning the first one but losing the second one because I got a couple lucky scores, including a 108 yard kickoff return by Champ Jesus Bailey. It is my destiny to lose in AFC title games.

LiveWire

Having played both Wellie and Shawn, Shawn should dominate him. If y'all need tips on how to beat Wellie just PM me or visit my website below!

www.sharkwaters.com

My apologies to everyone for not being able to play my game until Saturday. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I hope to be able to knock out both Wellington's game and hopefully FMT's game in the same day.

Yeah the whole pretentious "I suck" themed posts are getting old. I know Ando thinks he is great, just like Wellington knows he is great. I think there is a way to communicate your intent to win without coming off like a cocky SOB. I've never been the modest type, and I expect to win anytime I pick up the sticks. Does it always work out...of course not but I never go into a game thinking I'll probably lose (unless it's versus some cheesy random). That being said, I want to dominate in any game I play. The faster the suspense of the outcome is over the easier it is breathe and get ready for the next game.

Thanks for the endorsement Livewire, but everybody knows sometimes this game has a mind of it's own with the variety of bs situations coming into play. Hence the reason why the games are played!!

Wellington are you good for a 11AM pst/1PM est kickoff for our game? It's got to be sometime in the morning so I can make good on my promise to FMT to play in the afternoon/evening...if I win. Thanks!!

LukeSmith

Shawnwhann said:
My apologies to everyone for not being able to play my game until Saturday. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I hope to be able to knock out both Wellington's game and hopefully FMT's game in the same day.

Yeah the whole pretentious "I suck" themed posts are getting old. I know Ando thinks he is great, just like Wellington knows he is great. I think there is a way to communicate your intent to win without coming off like a cocky SOB. I've never been the modest type, and I expect to win anytime I pick up the sticks. Does it always work out...of course not but I never go into a game thinking I'll probably lose (unless it's versus some cheesy random). That being said, I want to dominate in any game I play. The faster the suspense of the outcome is over the easier it is breathe and get ready for the next game.

Thanks for the endorsement Livewire, but everybody knows sometimes this game has a mind of it's own with the variety of bs situations coming into play. Hence the reason why the games are played!!

Wellington are you good for a 11AM pst/1PM est kickoff for our game? It's got to be sometime in the morning so I can make good on my promise to FMT to play in the afternoon/evening...if I win. Thanks!!

Why you gotta be so cocky! ;)

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Can we make it 2 my time? I've got to work tomorrow morning (yeah I just found out today) and will hopefully make it out by then.

DenogginizerOS

Yeah the "I suck" posts are getting old.

On that note, C'mon Wellington! If I can beat the Cowboys with the Jets, you can certainly beat them with the Giants!

Rorschach

Wellington and DMczaf are the two most influential coaches this year. Both have been immitated throughout the league. One for his Eeyore posting style and the other for his field position football that would make Marty grimace.

Fifty said:
Anyone in the playoffs right now could go all the way.
'cept me. :(

Fifty

I'm going to punch you in the face! You have the worst team in the game arguably and you beat the Pats 37-0 and now Ramirez. That's the last compliment I'm giving you. Shut up and win!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
Wellington and DMczaf are the two most influential coaches this year. Both have been immitated throughout the league. One for his Eeyore posting style and the other for his field position football that would make Marty grimace.

Here's what I dont get... any time I have played DM he has passed at a 2:1 clip to his run. This new-fangled DMball is an offshoot of FMT's moochball. I like to call my playstyle Herm Ball; RUN THE BALL, STOP THE RUN, PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

LukeSmith

Rorschach said:

There's nothing I hate more (aside from Ando) than DM ball. I like DM, but fuck, it is so unfun playing Marty ball. If everyone wants to run and play ball control, we should just up the quarter lengths.

Rorschach

Wellington said:
Here's what I dont get... any time I have played DM he has passed at a 2:1 clip to his run. This new-fangled DMball is an offshoot of FMT's moochball. I like to call my playstyle Herm Ball; RUN THE BALL, STOP THE RUN, PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.
That's non-league games, though. I played him in one game where he only ran the ball like 2 times (and won), but he doesn't do that in the league, apparently.

That or he fell for your "I can't defend against your high powered passing offense woe is me" trick. Damn, you're good!

Fifty said:
I'm going to punch you in the face!
:[ What time do you want to do this? I want my face raping over with ASAP. :''''(

Slo

DenogginizerOS said:
precisely. i mean, I suck so bad that even my mother says I suck and she don't know shit about football

You're mom's the definitive authority on suck. Giggity.

Rorschach

btw- it's ironic that fifty is saying that he sucks. He's pulling a Wellie on us while complaining about Eeyore. Not only is he good, but he's gonna have a great team. Our behinds are his for the raping. :[

Andokuky

Banned
You free to beat me tonight Rors, assuming we are allowed to play? I have a football game and then work Saturday and I will be replacing brakes/belt tensioner/oil change/transmission work on 2 cars Sunday before watching the Cowboys lose Sunday night. I should be good to go late tonight if you're free.

Top Bottom