• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MaddenGAF's EASHL Thread: What's a Little Frost Among Friends?

Do you have a mic? Most of us will have mics

Also did you add points to your guy, last year you played like one game and then that was after your guy was trash lol

PBY

Banned
I can hear y'all, just don't got a mic.

Feel free to yell at me.

I'll be the chalmers of this squad

PBY

Banned
Done for the night chel bros. also fuuuuck EA for making the default dudes so assy. I feel like I gotta spend $ to make my guy manageable.

LiveWire

hey phee I'm gonna be late tonight, I just got back and need to eat and settle down. Since I'm two hours behind I dunno if y'all will still be playing after midnight but I'll log on to check when ready.

I didn't even have the energy to fully back out to the main menu, I just turned it off at the box score. And then I forgot to save McNeily's replay from I forgot what period when he had open net and just skated by it. Was that in the same game we just played?

McNei1y

That game had classic MaddenGAF replays all throughout it. If someone were to ask what playing in a MaddenGAF NHL club was like, we would show them that whole game. It was amazing.

I really wanted that one to go 10 overtimes.

McNei1y

Yep. We outplayed them definitely.

Now this is going to sound silly coming from me, but we definitely need to work on passing on the offensive end. I need to work on passing in general (but it really hasn't been as bad as last year so far) but when we get on their end, we rarely pass the puck across or anything. I noticed that all of the teams we played today did that on the regular.

LiveWire

Yep. We outplayed them definitely.

Now this is going to sound silly coming from me, but we definitely need to work on passing on the offensive end. I need to work on passing in general (but it really hasn't been as bad as last year so far) but when we get on their end, we rarely pass the puck across or anything. I noticed that all of the teams we played today did that on the regular.

This is part of what I was referring to in my earlier post. I'm not sure how many of you are hockey fans or watch a lot of hockey, but breakaways aren't quite as common IRL as they are in the video game. More often than not, to enter the offensive zone a team will do one of two things:

1. Dump and chase
2. Carry the puck in with teammates waiting on the blue line to follow (the puck of course must enter first otherwise it's offsides)

Once possession in the offensive zone is established, it's important to create passing opportunities and take advantage of all of the space on the ice. Defensemen stay on the blue line at all times, unless during the cycling of the puck they can join in for a scrum on the boards while a center or winger slides over to cover their spot. Worst case scenario at least 1 person ALWAYS has to be at the blue line ready to skate backwards to cover an attacker leaving the zone with the puck or trying to dump it out of their zone.

Once we get good at cycling the puck and positioning ourselves, things like this will happen regularly for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O96unXLe44U

Nightz

What stat do I need to increase so that my dude actually stays standing when he gets hit? Seems like I get knocked off my feet even with the slightest bump.

McNei1y

What stat do I need to increase so that my dude actually stays standing when he gets hit? Seems like I get knocked off my feet even with the slightest bump.

It's one of the first attributes in the "athletic/physical" section when you spend your points. I believe it's strength or balance. The help menu in NHL actually tells you what the stats do... I wish NFL adopted that.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's one of the first attributes in the "athletic/physical" section when you spend your points. I believe it's strength or balance. The help menu in NHL actually tells you what the stats do... I wish NFL adopted that.

Half the stats in NHL don't do anything. Balance is one of them.

McNei1y

dota tourny?

meh. I'd rather play on the weekend. I have to play my game against CPU eznark and I told Trash that I'd potentially play our Madden game at 11. I don't really want to be stuck in a 40-60 minute game at the moment.

Nightz

meh. I'd rather play on the weekend. I have to play my game against CPU eznark and I told Trash that I'd potentially play our Madden game at 11. I don't really want to be stuck in a 40-60 minute game at the moment.

But what if you end up in a 4 OT game? lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Game is trash

It really is. There's zero balance to the game now. Defensive players are at an amazing disadvantage because none of the defensive tools work anymore (poke check, pass interceptions) and the skating engine was tuned to allow figure skaters to run the show again. Nerfing goalies brought back several cheese goals from previous years again too.

The demo played fine. I'm not sure what the hell happened between then and release but this game needs a huge set of tuners released in a hurry.

Top Bottom