• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

The first proper mission after the intro stuff.

The chase down richie one.

Damn good

DAMN GOOD STUFF

Also that hop Lincoln does after coming out of zoom before he starts to sprint...just fantastic animation.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The.Fucking.Facial.Animation in this game!! So goddamn good!
hL4R5sG.gif

And these cutscenes are so well done, so many props and nuances. And the fucking music, and that fucking acting, how the hell did they get these performances? Goddamn it's so impressive.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone know the difference in the radio stations? Like genre wise?

One's more Blues-y I think, another is more distinctly Rock(modern for the time rock) and the other I haven't listened to enough but I think that's more older music and country maybe.

idonteven

not knowing how to assign a district to a boss is driving me I N S A N E

holy fucking shit !!! i dont even know if its a glitch or not

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

And these cutscenes are so well done, so many props and nuances. And the fucking music, and that fucking acting, how the hell did they get these performances? Goddamn it's so impressive.

I mean it was directed by Haden Blackman, who did The Force Unleashed. The acting and facial performances in those games were top notch. I can definitely see some similarities in Mafia 3.

KorrZ

So PS4 or PC version? I haven't seen much about the PC except the 30 FPS lock thing, but aside from that is the PC version running smoothly?

brawly

Yep, love the dialogue aswell. Too bad that
that group didn't last too long

Necron

It all looks very impressive and the team at 2K Czech and Hangar 13 have done a really good job. I hope the game sells well and I can't wait to play it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So PS4 or PC version? I haven't seen much about the PC except the 30 FPS lock thing, but aside from that is the PC version running smoothly?

From my 4 hours last night, yes. Ran perfectly fine, without issue. 5820 oc'd/970 oc'd/16gb ram. Some people are having issues though with CTD it seems and other graphical glitches and apparently a loading issue now, but if you have a rig that can handle it seems like a no brainer to go PC. A patch is coming for the FPS and other things. So hopefully it can only get better. Plus mods and other PC exclusive tweaks are always a possibility. Already some custom shader stuff out there.

After only playing the game for about two hours, I'm pretty surprised by all the 'amazing' posts in this thread.

The presentation is good I guess, with the way they are telling the story like a documentary, but the overall graphics, and ESPECIALLY the missions and gameplay, seem so generic and tired. It's just get in cover, pop out and shoot, run to cover, repeat. Nothing new.

Let's just say I'm starting to understand why review copies weren't sent out, which is probably not a good sign...

Spent about 3 hours playing it. Absolutely blown away by the facial tech and the voice acting. I'm so invested into this story already.

I've had one ctd on PC and the clouds seem to be flying past wayy too quick in the sky making the shadows fly past wayyyy too quick. Other than that, I'm having a blast.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I mean it was directed by Haden Blackman, who did The Force Unleashed. The acting and facial performances in those games were top notch. I can definitely see some similarities in Mafia 3.
I know but this is like some next level shit.

Yep, love the dialogue aswell. Too bad that
that group didn't last too long
Shame.
Hell of a motivation though.

KorrZ

From my 4 hours last night, yes. Ran perfectly fine, without issue. 5820 oc'd/970 oc'd/16gb ram. Some people are having issues though with CTD it seems and other graphical glitches and apparently a loading issue now, but if you have a rig that can handle it seems like a no brainer to go PC. A patch is coming for the FPS and other things. So hopefully it can only get better. Plus mods and other PC exclusive tweaks are always a possibility. Already some custom shader stuff out there.

Thanks for the impressions. Gonna pick this up tonight on Steam.

peakish

The voice acting is great so far in. Like I said I get an uncanney valley feeling from the animations but they do some of the best job I've seen in conveying actual emotion, which is so rare in games I play. Coming from MGS5 which I played last night the difference is night and day, although those characters looked good they didn't feel like people talking.

Helps that the dialog is damn good. I also love how the game seamlessly cuts to cutscenes instead of the usual bland fade out. So good.

M.W.

After only playing the game for about two hours, I'm pretty surprised by all the 'amazing' posts in this thread.

The presentation is good I guess, with the way they are telling the story like a documentary, but the overall graphics, and ESPECIALLY the missions and gameplay, seem so generic and tired. It's just get in cover, pop out and shoot, run to cover, repeat. Nothing new.

Let's just say I'm starting to understand why review copies weren't sent out, which is probably not a good sign...

Nothing new? What could they have added to a game set in the 60's that would feel new?

Moozo

Definitely some technical issues on PS4.
Weird lighting problems, stuttering, crashing, cutscenes replaying for no reason. And that's just an hour in.

ESPECIALLY the missions and gameplay, seem so generic and tired. It's just get in cover, pop out and shoot, run to cover, repeat. Nothing new.

What did you expect? A Jet pack and wall running or something? Of course it's a cover shooter, not sure what you were expecting when every single open world game follows the same formula. If you're feeling burned from this game you only have yourself to blame, all of the pre-release material showed exactly the kind of game this was going to be.

Hip Hop

Max settings on that hardware?

Plasma

Banned
I don't think it's a bad game or anything but the formulaic approach to take every district is getting kind of tiresome.

Yeah this game is great so far. Nothing else to say. Framerate an lighting isn't great but everything else is very good.
I can't think of any other open world game with such a great atmosphere besides GTA or RDR.

edit: And the soundtrack...Folsom Prison blues...yeah man. Amazing

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I have to agree with this. Hopefully it picks up eventually, but I can't see myself sticking with it long enough to find out.

I Fought the Law song question / mission spoiler
Did the game auto switch to that song after the heist police chase? Cause a about second before the song came on I press right on the D-pad to switch stations, and the song change and then they started signing I was like HOLY SHIT!!. So did the game switch stations/song for this particular incident and i happen to just press the button at the right moment. ( Which i think is the correct answer )

Or

Did I stumble upon something and if I didn't change stations they would have sing along with the song that was playing.

I Fought the Law song question / mission spoiler
Did the game auto switch to that song after the heist police chase? Cause a about second before the song came on I press right on the D-pad to switch stations, and the song change and then they started signing I was like HOLY SHIT!!. So did the game switch stations/song for this particular incident and i happen to just press the button at the right moment. ( Which i think is the correct answer )

Or

Did I stumble upon something and if I didn't change stations they would have sing along with the song that was playing.

Song definitely automatically comes on.

Braag

I finished the first couple missions and so far the story seems very interesting, the voice acting and the facial animations are some of the best I've seen/heard. It's a shame the game has (at least on PC) technical difficulties because the game itself seems to be really good. Kinda torn if I should keep playing or wait for that 60fps patch.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I finished the first couple missions and so far the story seems very interesting, the voice acting and the facial animations are some of the best I've seen/heard. It's a shame the game has (at least on PC) technical difficulties because the game itself seems to be really good. Kinda torn if I should keep playing or wait for that 60fps patch.

I'd continue playing

the 30fps isn't ideal, but imo, it's playable

Matthew if you are listening, please allow UPS to move my Mafia 3 copy from their jacksonville location where it currently sits and waits.

Also, thanks for not horribly killing me and my family.

Ladekabel

So just did the section in the
amusement park.
Game is a lot of fun so far.

The AI is beyond stupid and the clipping is atrocious. I executed a guy and he was falling through a chair and the gun barrel was also sticking through the seating.

Rellik

How do you enable simulation driving? I received a prompt saying it's under Option -> Game, but there's nothing about the driving model on that screen.

For reference:

You didn't go to Option first. Look to the left of the top bar.

Top Bottom