• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Game is really great so far. Amazing atmosphere. And I don't think the visuals are bad. Not at all to be honest.

edit: The lighting seems buggy though. And the clouds look absolutely terrible, lol

Amazing game, but has anyone encountered a problem with recording cut-scenes? On the ps4 when i record a cut-scene, there is audio during the gameplay but when the cut-scene is on, the audio is missing. Anyone know why

chekhonte

Any good places for decent priced keys? All I"m seeing are EU keys for under 60.

anybody have any better luck?

EDIT: also let me know if "gray market" keys isn't a kosher topic and I'll delete this.

Stiler

What's with the complaints about graphics and people saying it looks 5+ years old? It doesn't look bad at all imo.

Especially driving around at night when it's rained or just rained and everything is super reflective.

The main thing is the lighting, it seems a bit weird at times, like it's too shimery in some places (mainly broad daylight).

tVmOYbq.jpg

FJZsLqx.jpg

I love the way the rain actually reflects the light it's in, gives it a very wet/natural look to it that many games don't bother with.

Also have to give them props for using good real-world reflections, if you notice how the neon sign is reflecting off the cars and things in the first pic instead of your usual baked reflections.

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm a bit dissapointed at the driving. It's not as good as it is in Mafia 2 and the cars are wonky when flying or driving on small stuff

roxas89

Neo Member
I think the AI needs a major tweaking, you just take cover and press B ( everyone of them took the same path ) :D

IIkSXXy.jpg

Rellik

Does anyone know how to start the Emmanuel Weed runs from the boat? Talked to him but there's no objective marker after the cutscene to start it.

Love the game so much thus far. I kind of love the grunt work of taking down rackets and exploring the map. These set piece missions at the end are stunning. I just wish it was 60fps because I'd like to use Kb/m for precision aiming! The shooting feels incredibly brutal - and it's amazing!

If you have no marker then it's bugged and you need to reload checkpoint. It's happened to me twice on other missions.

SJRB

Gold Member
Only an hour or so in, but the presentation is god-tier. Absolutely aces.

Also - Lincoln is fucking HUGE, what a beast.

Catdaddy

So I installed on my PS4 (few minutes with patch) and now to start it's "installing" again? Been about 15 minutes and at 75%...

I can only imagine if I had to do this on my Xbox One - takes so long to install and if had to do it again... be tomorrow be before I could play..

I have a question I'm not sure was answered, how is police presence, is it like mafia II where you run a red light/going over speed limit and they'll ticket you? Or is it straight up shoot on sight GTAV style?

Nzyme32

What the hell?! So Mafia 3's melee combat can be lethal or non lethal, but you have to go back and forth into the main menu to change it!

Why the hell can't I just have it bound to a keyboard key?!

The game is filled with these wonky ideas, like having to press and hold button on a controller to interact while pressing will do something else like reload, but you have to have this hideous delay each time.

Meanwhile the keyboard bindings are seperating these into individual keys, which makes sense for a bunch of things, but then no sense for a bunch of other things.

This game is so weird with this stuff!

Vic_Viper

Wasn't at all interested in game until hearing some talk about it and watching that 2 hour play through over at Giant Bomb. Really like the framing device they are using, as in the documentary being told as you play through the flashbacks. Does this carry through the whole game or is it more just done in the beginning? Also about how long is the main story and how much side stuff is there to do? The previous 2 Mafia games really weren't about doing side quests and such, they focused everything into creating a great narrative that carried you through till the end.

Might have to pick this up on my day off.

Really like the UI when driving in this game. The rear view mirror looks alil janky but it and the speedometer really add that extra feels.

Tovarisc

I have a question I'm not sure was answered, how is police presence, is it like mafia II where you run a red light/going over speed limit and they'll ticket you? Or is it straight up shoot on sight GTAV style?

There is no traffic laws anymore. Just don't do any major crimes or carry weapons visible when running on streets.

Rellik

There is no traffic laws anymore. Just don't do any major crimes or carry weapons visible when running on streets.

Unless you're tailing someone and go through a red light or the police are around and you hit someone.

I found out the hard way today.

What the hell?! So Mafia 3's melee combat can be lethal or non lethal, but you have to go back and forth into the main menu to change it!

Why the hell can't I just have it bound to a keyboard key?!

The game is filled with these wonky ideas, like having to press and hold button on a controller to interact while pressing will do something else like reload, but you have to have this hideous delay each time.

Meanwhile the keyboard bindings are seperating these into individual keys, which makes sense for a bunch of things, but then no sense for a bunch of other things.

This game is so weird with this stuff!

looks like they just replaced controller buttons with keyboard keys. The press vs hold thing is pretty standard on controllers

Briarios

I'm looking forward to playing it, but I'm gonna wait a few weeks since its supporting the PS4 Pro ... Probably pick up soon, though.

JJShadow

Is it normal that is taking this long to install the game first time you boot it up? (PS4) I've been waiting for 20 minutes and it's still at 20% or so I think

JPS Kai

Amazing game, but has anyone encountered a problem with recording cut-scenes? On the ps4 when i record a cut-scene, there is audio during the gameplay but when the cut-scene is on, the audio is missing. Anyone know why

Speaking from experience with working with some of these publishers, sometimes it's a contractual issue. Because of the licensed music used in-game, there's a sort of gray area that developers have to pick and choose if they want to permit recording gameplay and/or audio. Other titles such as Dragon Quest Heroes opted to mute recordings as well.

Just started playing on PS4. About 30 minutes in. Presentation, atmosphere, and graphics are fantastic. Unfortunately I just hard crashed before my first real mission. I read about someone on Xbone hard crashing in the "no early copies" thread--I'm not sure who it was but I wonder if we crashed in the same place? If so, that's a bug that obviously needs to be fixed. I'm on 1.2. I restarted and will continue on!

EDIT: It crashed again in the same place. Is my game broken?

Erban1

A few hours in at this point so i'll withhold overall impressions, but I can definitely already say the gunplay is the best in the genre. Its what i wanted GTA V's gun combat to feel like after playing Max Payne 3. It's a good thing that the combat is so strong, as it'll likely keep me playing even if mission objectives get repetitive. Story and presentation is on point so far as well. I can't wait to dig back in.

peakish

The game crashed on me an hour (PC version) in but damn if the story doesn't start on a great note. The cutscenes are great and although I get hella uncanney valley feeling from the facial animations they are great at portraying (somewhat) subtle emotion. I'm already feeling Lincoln more than the boring idiot in Mafia 2.

brawly

Man, streets are dark af at night. Driving is a lot of fun here which pleases me greatly.

It's soooo good to hear Vito again. I want to replay M2 now.

Rellik

Man, streets are dark af at night. Driving is a lot of fun here which pleases me greatly.

It's soooo good to hear Vito again. I want to replay M2 now.

Have you had fog at night yet? I left the road a few times because I couldn't see the edges.

vypek

Can you change difficulty mid game? Like if I find the standard too easy, I can move it up if I want to?

Top Bottom