• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Fidgety how? I'm talking about the roadsigns showing you where to take turns. Much better than some yellow line on the ground or having to constantly look at the map.

for whatever reason, my brain read it as the cover system

I agree, the waypoint system is fantastic

Gothos

The first two hours = so fucking good! It's really a shame they chose such turrbile art style and filters for the main game. During cut scenes, which I guess run on the game engine, it's clear that the game could have looked so much better if they only wanted :(

ChanMan

Are the missions at least fun even if the gameplay isn't all that I still may get this, I can't suspect it to be that bad.

been watching Dan play it on Twitch. Looks really good for this type of game. Questionable AI of course, but the story and mo cap are quite solid.

How do you enable simulation driving? I received a prompt saying it's under Option -> Game, but there's nothing about the driving model on that screen.

For reference:

Under Options, there are actually four different choices. I think it's the third one.

NB6EjSb.png

Lashley

Are the missions at least fun even if the gameplay isn't all that I still may get this, I can't suspect it to be that bad.

Gameplays good, missions are basically go there, kill/interrogate this guy whilst killing the guards to knock down the racket money so the boss comes out, then kill him

Definitely some technical issues on PS4.
Weird lighting problems, stuttering, crashing, cutscenes replaying for no reason. And that's just an hour in.

I haven't had a hiccup on PS4. I just got done with the first
Haitian
mission. So far the game looks and plays great. Ha, and I already got the gator trophy!

JCtheMC

I really don't like the way the game tries to explain its systems to you. Whenever one of those text prompts jumps up the info goes in one ear and out the other. By the time i need certain information there's no way to find it again and now i can't figure out how to do certain things.

Anyone figure out how to increase the earn of a particular racket? or how to assign a district to a certain person?

ChanMan

Gameplays good, missions are basically go there, kill/interrogate this guy whilst killing the guards to knock down the racket money so the boss comes out, then kill him

Thanks, yeah I might have to get this even though I can see that being repetitive but if the story, setting and gameplay is all worth it I can deal with it.

dreamfall

I think the question you have to ask yourself before buying the game is whether or not you enjoy the city takeover mechanics. I personally find them the most compelling here out of any TPS open world because even there most mundane interrogation is interwoven with progression. Some people will definitely feel like it's just busy work and are upset that you can't just initiate an underboss assassination. But I like how I'm pacing it for myself - there are a ton of places to explore to steal money and find collectibles, and the sheer amount of interior space is really cool. The art design really brings out the best in the atmosphere.

The set piece shootouts have been stellar. The gunplay is very responsive and feels heavy. Mixing in stealth takedowns is great. Minus the horrible PC port, I'm having a lot of fun.

GravyButt

Really enjoying it thus far on the xb1. Shocked by how much im liking it actually. Wasn't expecting a lot so im really happy with my purchase.

My only gripes so far is extremely small text in the menus tutorials ect. And how dark it is when driving at night (although I guess that part is realistic to that timeframe, so it shouldn't be a negative). I just have eye issues and blind in one eye so small things like that bug/strain me big time.

Other than that cant wait to jump back in.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Really enjoying it thus far on the xb1. Shocked by how much im liking it actually. Wasn't expecting a lot so im really happy with my purchase.

My only gripes so far is extremely small text in the menus tutorials ect. And how dark it is when driving at night (although I guess that part is realistic to that timeframe, so it shouldn't be a negative). I just have eye issues and blind in one eye so small things like that bug/strain me big time.

Other than that cant wait to jump back in.

Yeah, this needs an adjustment. Upper left mission text is sometimes too smal, too.

---------

I've played for ~6-7 hours and I like it so far. It has its problems, but I enjoy my time with it and that's what counts.

I'm about to make Vito great again.

Ashtar

Xcom crashed on me again so i decided to give mafia a go, but i guess you werent joking about this installation, absolutely ridiculous!

Adnor

Banned
The music use in the prologue/first few hours is SO GOOD:

Born to be Wild in a chase scene is always cool, I loved how everyone started singing I Fought the Law, but saying "I Fought the Law and the law lost" instead when they get away. And of course, the timing of Paint it Black at the end of the prologue was just perfect

Rookhelm

Can anyone tell me what the green circles with the triangles (looks like down arrows?) are on the map? And for that matter the blue ones?

I go to them, but don't find anything.

SJRB

Gold Member
In the previews and stuff I always thought the extreme violence was pretty over the top, unnecessary even.

But you know what? It's not. It makes perfect sense. Everyone of those dirtbags deserves a knife in the throat.

This game is excellent. Really, really having a good time so far. The story is great, the premise really well done. Combat is awesome, with really great hit detection on bodyparts. I love the detail of some enemies not dying immediately but lying on the ground wailing for a bit. One guy cried out for his mom, that was kinda brutal.The presentation is quite incredible with perfect music at crucial parts. When
Paint It Black
started playing I was ready to fuck shit up. So good.

Anyway, just liberated my first racket thingy, kinda silly that I had to move through the same area twice, but eh. I can see this sort of stuff getting repetitive if a large chunk of the game revolves around doing these kind of missions.

Game is running good on PS4 so far. No crashes, no framerate dips, no bizarre glitches.

Cheever

Can anyone tell me what the green circles with the triangles (looks like down arrows?) are on the map? And for that matter the blue ones?

I go to them, but don't find anything.

It's saying there's an item above or below your current location. Like a magazine upstairs when you're downstairs.

FHIZ

So yeah, they need to change the "skip cut scene" button when paused to something that me, and I'm betting a lot of other people just instinctivley press a lot of the time. Change that shit to Triangle/Y instead of X/A.

So on that note, what happens after
You kill the Hatians. Scene with Sammy

Memory

How's performance on the XBO S? This game supports HDR, right?

I'm playing on an XB1-S but i don't have a HDR TV so i can't comment on that. The game runs smooth, I have not experience any kind of technical issue or bug and I've been playing for hours.

Lashley

I like how Lincoln
was in a coma for weeks/months
but still retains muscle mass

Shaanyboi

Banned
As someone who really isn't into open-world crime games, I was pretty excited to try this mainly due to the racial politics the devs claimed they were tackling. Should I still bother?

Xyrmellon

So I just finished the intro missions on Xbone and had zero crashes or bugs. I also haven't noticed any issues with performance, but I guess I'm one of "those people" that it doesn't bother much. Heck, I finished Just Cause 3 and thought it was fine.

Oh, and I'm digging it so far.

Dominator

Really enjoying the presentation of the story. Graphics aren't amazing but the character faces are phenomenal. Gameplay is solid so far too, love the shooting and the hand-to-hand.

Driving feels off but I've been playing too much Forza lol, I'll adjust to it.

As someone who really isn't into open-world crime games, I was pretty excited to try this mainly due to the racial politics the devs claimed they were tackling. Should I still bother?

The writing is some of the best I've experienced so far. For all it's issues, the story isn't one of them.

Really enjoying the presentation of the story. Graphics aren't amazing but the character faces are phenomenal. Gameplay is solid so far too, love the shooting and the hand-to-hand.

Driving feels off but I've been playing too much Forza lol, I'll adjust to it.

Turn on Simulation driving. It's under the options.

pa22word

The shooting gunplay here is ridiculously good. So good in fact I'd feel pretty safe saying it's the best I've played in an open world game. Probably the most shocking thing about the game because I wasn't expecting much after how flaccid the gunplay felt in m2.

Top Bottom