• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

hbkdx12

I'm fairly indifferent about it as a gameplay mechanic but the thematic connection is a bit rich: you're the upcoming capo di tutti capi of a major city but still have to dig through trash and jimmy open boxes to get a clear picture of what's going on in a given area.

Surely Lincoln could have recruited a bunch of junkies from the Hollow to do that shit for him?

Well i mean, is there an open world game that doesn't saddle you with busy work that a powerful person in your position really has no business doing?

I just started the side mission of
doing vito's personal favor where he wants me to kill some people for him
and i'm like wtf, you work for me. Why the hell should i be doing this?

This game has its moments, and it's got a breezy, well-paced quality to it once you get to the actual missions, but I'd say overall it's the definition of 'decent, but nothing special.''

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah the boat sidemission is a bust. You go there, you get the cutscene with the guy talking shit, he tells you to pick up the stuff and that's that. The boat is gone, there is literally no way of knowing just what the hell is going on. Pretty big oversight if you ask me.

Also - just freed
Vito
and he literally has me doing the same stuff I've been doing for Cassandra: kill two guys, destroy two things. If the final showdown with the racket boss is in the same area as where I rescued him meaning I have to make my way through that area again, I'm fucking uninstalling.

[well not really, but you know what I mean]

Kard8p3

Yeah the boat sidemission is a bust. You go there, you get the cutscene with the guy talking shit, he tells you to pick up the stuff and that's that. The boat is gone, there is literally no way of knowing just what the hell is going on. Pretty big oversight if you ask me.

Also - just freed
Vito
and he literally has me doing the same stuff I've been doing for Cassandra: kill two guys, destroy two things. If the final showdown with the racket boss is in the same area as where I rescued him meaning I have to make my way through that area again, I'm fucking uninstalling.

Once you progress a few more hours into the game, there will finally be a blip on your map for the boat sidemission, first one I've seen anyway

It's crazy the waste the game is. The narration and world building is great, they just should have made missions "a la GTA" instead of this non-narrated repetitiveness of unlockings neighborhood. This part is just boring, i can't do it more than 1 hours in a row. It's really sad because a lot of elements are really great.

Also - just freed
Vito

Combined with all missions basically being the same. Kill or interrogate this guy while stealth killing 20 guys along the way. Shame because the cutscenes and story are so good

robertoci

Hey guys just got a question as i'm going into town and thinking about picking it up, if I enjoyed Mafia II will I like this game as much?

I liked the storytelling and the gunplay in the second if that helps.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hey guys just got a question as i'm going into town and thinking about picking it up, if I enjoyed Mafia II will I like this game as much?

I liked the storytelling and the gunplay in the second if that helps.

I love Mafia I and II. Yes, you'll like this.

Be prepared though as the mission structure is incredibly repetitive. In the vein of Assassin's Creed or Mad Max.

The police getting down to some sneaky business

BL0pbMd.jpg

robertoci

I love Mafia I and II. Yes, you'll like this.

Be prepared though as the mission structure is incredibly repetitive. In the vein of Assassin's Creed or Mad Max.

Does that include the Story missions as well or just the side missions in terms of repetitiveness?

I actually don't mind the repetitive nature of the game so far. The reason for that has to do with the core action of the game, it is built extremely well. The snappy controls and shooting is just fun to interact with. If that stuff was poor like the last couple Mafia games, I would have dropped this game immediately.

Budi

Only few hours into the game. I prepared by starting with difficulty on the lowest. Really not looking forward to the combat. Just want to breeze through and enjoy my time. The narrative has already impressed me in all areas. Love the cutscenes, love the acting, love the writing! And even I can't go on without praising the soundtrack.

Lincoln Clay is really a great character, I hope to see him again. Also I would like to stay in the same time period. Maybe change the locale. There's just a big IF, this gets a sequel. And hopefully everything else I didn't praise would get polished by then.

Edit: My gripe with the combat comes from how much of it there is, not how it plays. Playing on a PC with DS3 and aim assist.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone know what's with the metacritic users having a billion horrible reviews compared to like 7 positive ones?

I'm assuming it is something agenda-driven, as that usually is always the case when it's something like this.

Even the worst games ever don't have reviews this disproportionate usually.

Jb

I'm maybe 5 hours in so far and I'm enjoying it, but it's crazy how unpolished it is for being 2K's big budget bet for the end of the year and for a sequel to Mafia 2.

There are times where everything clicks like when you're driving at night in your Samson Duke listening to Elvis and other times the game looks like straight up garbage and the AI just shits itself and sees you through a wall when you're trying to ghost a side mission. Also the hit reactions from enemies are great but the gun sounds are really bad. Weird choice.

It's also pretty weird how front loaded the narrative is, with cutscene after cutscene of (very well done) dialogue, but from what I've gathered the rest of the game is going to be "kill the 13 gang bosses" until you get to the ending.

A real shame they didn't give it more time, this game has a really unique vibe to it.

Budi

Anyone know what's with the metacritic users having a billion horrible reviews compared to like 7 positive ones?

I'm assuming it is something agenda-driven, as that usually is always the case when it's something like this.

Even the worst games ever don't have reviews this disproportionate usually.

Black protagonist, bringing politics to videogames and 30 fps lock on PC. Those are the reasons im aware of,

brawly

I really wish this was more akin to Mafia 2. I'll gladly take an empty world if it ensures actual story missions.

This slowly is starting to get to me.

Rellik

Black protagonist, bringing politics to videogames and 30 fps lock on PC. Those are the reasons im aware of,

Normally I'd call BS on that first part, but yeah, I never realised how racist the gaming community can be when the main character is black. It's pretty disgusting.

Xando

Just finished frisco fields
and holy shit the southern union mission line with the last mission where you kill remy is awesome

Tohsaka

Is there any real point in switching to non-lethal melee attacks? I know you having the option of sparing underbosses and stuff but other than that it doesn't seem like it really matters if you kill the average enemies or NPCs trying to call the cops on you.

The game kind of always has that open world game fog haze that plagued PS3 games huh? Well at least from what I've played so far. Also, the switch to simulation mode for driving made a big difference. I'm finally able to get those stunt man turns right.

SZips

pc patch is live

1.2gb

Did they put up a full changelog yet, or is it just the framerate stuff?

EDIT: https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/ has been updated again.

UPDATE [10/8 / 3PM PT]: PC players, reboot Mafia III because patch 1.01 is now available for download. This patch includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options on PC. To select your framerate, just head to the display menu in-game. Just make sure to tailor the framerate settings to the power of your machine. This patch also includes improvements to keyboard remapping, so head to the controls menu to check out the options. Note: this patch resets keyboard mapping to default, so any changes you made to the controls previously will need to be customized after installing the patch.

We aren’t done with fixes and updates and will continue to listen to our community for ways to improve your experience in New Bordeaux. And check here to see what content updates we have in the works, including outfit swapping, races, and more.

Freeman76

I am getting a 15% discount on the game. worth it?

No man not at all. 0 reason to buy it now, this will be bargain bin material in a couple of months, and by then it might be patched a bit. Dont waste money needlessly (unless you have more than you know what to do with of course)

Just noticed that there are special RGB effects on my Logitech G900 in game, the LED's flash red and blue when in a police radius, pretty neat. I'll have to keep an eye out for other effects.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember Mafia 2 handling mission progression like this. Or did they do it like this

Mafia II was all about the story, very little filler which I much preferred, but some people moaned about it so now we have an Ubisoft checklist game.

HiiiLife

Mafia II was all about the story, very little filler which I much preferred, but some people moaned about it so now we have an Ubisoft checklist game.

I remember enjoying Mafia 2 and yea, don't recall it being so repetitive like this. I think I'm ready to uninstall and take it back to redbox.

So, I can feel comfortable getting the PS4 version now until PC version gets fixed? Does it look really nice? I'm wary of framerate, which is why I usually get the PC version.

Looks terrible. 60 fps of garbage isnt much better than 30 fps of garbage.

Wait on a deep sale IMO.

Rizzi

Man, the game on PS4 is disappointing.
Four crashes, fell through the world once, people that I need to kill/interrogate vanishing from existence. Combine that with poor performance, incredible levels of pop in and being kind of ugly.. It's not great.

Xando

How far do you have to complete until you can start doing the Southern union Missions?
You have to finish the first 3 districts and barkley mills to unlock frisco fields (which has the southern union) you kinda fight them before but the real kkk stuff happens in frisco fields

brawly

I don't remember Mafia 2 handling mission progression like this. Or did they do it like this

It didn't. It's straight up "go to this person, start the cutscene and story mission". Much better.

And yeah as Lashley said, much more variety and dialogue.

Top Bottom