• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

FatalT

Banned
So, I can feel comfortable getting the PS4 version now until PC version gets fixed? Does it look really nice? I'm wary of framerate, which is why I usually get the PC version.

I feel comfortable recommending the PS4 version for now, absolutely. If you're really intent on going for the PC version then by all means just pick it up at Redbox but it's perfectly playable to me.

Framerate issues there absolutely is, and its 99% down the the frame pacing. Its pretty hideous. I guess you are lucky in that you don't see it. Borked lighting is absolutely an issue. Both of these issues have clearly been manifesting throughout this thread.

I'm thankful to not notice the framerate issues then. I can't say I've ever really had any problem with things like that on console games but if I'm playing a PC game on higher settings than my computer can handle and V-Sync off, it's a mess. I HAVE seen the odd lighting but I just chalked that up to artistic intent. For example, when it's dawn and the sun is coming up, if you drive towards the sun you're practically BLINDED by it. That's a small complaint that doesn't bother me much though.

Is going into the options(PS4) really the only way to switch between lethal and non lethal takedowns?
Is this 1998?

Is there something wrong with my game, or is the daytime lighting fuckin' messed up? Every 30 seconds it shifts between getting darker and lighter outside. It looks ridiculous and is incredibly immersion breaking. Also, the graphics during the day are kinda ugly IMO. Decent inside and at night, though.

It's the clouds in the sky. For some reason they have a system where clouds can move across the sky and make it dull as fuck. Now that happens in real life, but slowly. Mafia 3s sped up clock means the brightness is changing constantly while you're driving.
Pretty awful.

James93

I'm a couple hours in and these side missions are just boring. Thats what i enjoyed about Mafia 2 it was paced exteremly well.

Mik2121

Is going into the options(PS4) really the only way to switch between lethal and non lethal takedowns?
Is this 1998?

It's the clouds in the sky. For some reason they have a system where clouds can move across the sky and make it dull as fuck. Now that happens in real life, but slowly. Mafia 3s sped up clock means the brightness is changing constantly while you're driving.
Pretty awful.

I haven't experienced that exactly, but could it be the auto exposure? I have been able to get the screen to go bright and dark in the spot by just rotating the camera a tiny bit to the other side of the street (both sides seemed to look almost the same brightness wise, otherwise it wouldn't have bothered me). It might not be that, but either way they should tone that down a bit too.

I was playing at night and went through the sunrise and early morning and it didn't feel that bad except for a moment where the sun apparently hit some reflective surface nearby and the bloom was quite.. something.

mileS

Pretty awful.

It is terrible. I know game development is rushed these days but how can something like this make the final build? It makes me wonder if A)they even noticed it. B)someone noticed it but they kept pushing and crunching to get the game out anyway. Or even C)it was brought up as an issue and some higher ups brushed it off.

It just rubs me the wrong way. If they indeed were aware of it, how insulting is it that they would release the game anyway and hope people wouldn't notice. You'd have to be really tuned out not to notice this shit.

Peff

Shame to hear some of the impressions have soured. Still want to check it out as I can set aside some design flaws when a game has great style/production, but I will probably hold out for a price drop.

It's kind of another Brutal Legend case, really. The first two hours-ish have some really cool stuff narrative and presentation-wise, but then the game shifts gears and it's quite obvious that the production values are going to be spread thinner and thinner from that point on.

The thing is, the game itself doesn't actually get worse in a strict sense. The shooting and driving mechanics are good, and while the stealth is fairly rudimentary (and at times, straight broken in your favour) some of the buildings are surprisingly accommodating of it, with different points of entry and paths to reach the target undetected.

Unfortunately, there is just zero effort made in trying to break up the rigid city takeover structure, which is probably what's causing the repetition to set in so fast. Every neighbourhood seems to be the exact same thing in pretty much the same order. The worst part is that there actually is enough mission variety to mimic the usual GTA-esque game flow, but removing the individual cutscenes and context of each mission and diluting it into a pastiche of bite-sized, seamless encounters works against the game, even if it does offer more freedom.

TaKeRx

I can say that I'm enjoying the game purely on the story alone. The grinding missions aren't boring me so that's a good thing?

Anyone with the season pass on XB1. Do you see it under the "manage game" section? I bought the deluxe and only see the game and preorder bonus...

noob question but how do I adjust the screen to fit my TV for this game? I've tried messing with the PS4 display setting but got nothing and looking thru the in-game options menu but I see no option to adjust screen to my TV. Parts of the right mini map and top left HUD are not completely visible. What am I missing?

phant0m

God damn, this thread went from very positive to very negative just like....that.

Happens with nearly every AAA game on GAF. First "hype is real", game is great, then after 24-48 hours the game gets nitpicked apart, "unplayable", "refund" etc.

6 months later comes the LTTP where we sing its praises again.

Happens with nearly every AAA game on GAF. First "hype is real", game is great, then after 24-48 hours the game gets nitpicked apart, "unplayable", "refund" etc.

I think that the fact that the 3 hours have nothing to do with the following 6 hours as related by many Gaffers have a big role on those early impressions.

Anyway i acknowledge that if you really love the settings (as i do) and the gameplay is ton of fun for you (not so for me) it would be a good game.

We now understand why there were no early review versions...

LowerLevel

Sounds like Destiny and The Division all over again lol.

So question about a side mission if anyone knows. Where is
the boat for Emmanuel so you can pick up the reefer and deliver it?
Don't see anything to trigger this and talking to him does nothing.

phant0m

Sounds like Destiny and The Division all over again lol.

Yup. And Shadow of Mordor, most AC games, Titanfall.

Watch for it next month with w_d2 and FF XV!

And FWIW I loved The Division.

Had the same issue. Open the map and press square/X to bring up your objectives. Slide it to Emmanuel and highlight the objective and press A/X to "activate objective". Fucking dumb.

You have to click the map, then options. then go to the emmanuel one and highlight the boat pickup one. At least that worked for me neway.

hbkdx12

You probably need to give
cassandra more rackets before you can continue with it.
The game mentions this but it sort of glances over it and still leaves the icon there even though you can't do it.

Stiler

My main fear is coming true.

As a Mafia I and II fan the main thing which separated Mafia from other open world games (like GTA or Ubisoft open world games) was how Mafia kept it's game focused on the narrative storyline and did not side-track you into pointless grinds or repetitive side-content.

When they first announced the "rackets" and how you would have to weaken them, I thought to myself, "Wait, this is going to end up just like the Godfather games and going to get super-repetitive."

I hoped I was wrong, but sure enough that's how it's getting.

The first 3 or so hours of the game are GREAT and play exactly like Mafia I/II, focused solely on it's narrative and keeping you hooked on its great story/writing/characters.

Then they go straight into the pitfalls of trying to be like every-other open world game, filling you with pointless side-content that feels like it's copy + pasted around and has no real narrative hook or anything to it.

They should have forgot about this and focused on playing into the games strengths. If they could have focused it like the first 3 hours or so and trimmed the game from a 30+ hour to like a 15'ish hour strong-narrative focused game that imo would have been great.

Instead it seems like they really padded the game out with the whole "taking over districts" thing that, just like Ubisoft/The Godfather style games gets super super boring after you've done the EXACT same thing over and over and over and over.

The game itself is great when it's playing close to the narrative, the combat is great (IMO gunplay is far better then GTA and any other open world action game), driving is fun.

If they'd have just went for quality over quanity in regards to the side-content, it would have greatly helped the game out.

Yup. And Shadow of Mordor, most AC games, Titanfall.

Watch for it next month with w_d2 and FF XV!

MtZ9N.gif

note: i really dislike excessive negativity around games because some devs are for sure reading our posts and i feel bad for the flack they get considering they pour their hearts and souls into the production of any game, it just feels meanspirited

DukeBobby

"The target is in the penthouse suite of this hotel and his guards are swarming everywhere."

Oh boy, here we go...

"Okay, let's take over the rackets in the area and flush him out".

Oh, for fuck's sake...

Jocund

Funnily enough, I remember something similar happening with Mafia 2. Not a lot of buzz around the game -- it kind of came and went. The consensus at the time seemed to be that it was largely disappointing due to the short length, subpar gunplay and empty game world. Opinions on the game's story were split too, with a lot of outlets describing it as pretty thin.

Jump to present day, and you have people with warm recollections. I even see people praising the open world, like it was some kind of calculated decision on the part of 2k Czech, rather than the result of a protracted development cycle. I like Mafia 2, and even I'm surprised by how well it holds up today, but I know that's not how the game was received at launch.

Shaka

Dudes call this game repetitive shit then turn around and heap praise on GTA V's uninspired missions. I guess they prefer GTA's style.
Personally I think the mechanics are awesome and I could shoot racist motherfuckers all day.

Gbraga

Funnily enough, I remember something similar happening with Mafia 2. Not a lot of buzz around the game -- it kind of came and went. The consensus at the time seemed to be that it was largely disappointing due to the short length, subpar gunplay and empty game world. Opinions on the game's story were split too, with a lot of outlets describing it as pretty thin.

Jump to present day, and you have people with warm recollections. I even see people praising the open world, like it was some kind of calculated decision on the part of 2k Czech, rather than the result of a protracted development cycle. I like Mafia 2, and even I'm surprised by how well it holds up today, but I know that's not how the game was received at launch.

Necessity is the mother of invention. It's true that it seems like their original idea was to have a bunch of side stuff as well, but when it turned out they couldn't afford to add all of it, they focused on what mattered the most, and threw everything that wasn't necessary away. It may not have been the original plan, but it was still a calculated decision, when they had to make that choice. It shows where they priorities are.

Combos were an accident, and then they went and defined fighting games as we still know them today.

Back to Mafia III, maybe it also wasn't a calculated decision from the start to have this repetitive structure, but instead of removing most of it in order to make the game flow better, they preferred to pad out the game's length with this.

Of course, they deserve the benefit of the doubt on this. Maybe the publisher didn't accept a game as short as it would've been, and told them to make it longer through mandatory fetch quests, who knows. But it'd be weird to me that they'd decide on a sequel to the not-particularly-long-for-an-open-world Mafia II with "this needs to be a super long game" in mind.

About the differing opinions about the game then and now, it's just different people. I liked it back then, I like it now, it's just that people who found it disappointing obviously moved on, it's been a while since the game came out, it's natural that most people who still talk about it are fans. It wasn't rare to see people excited about the side activities during previews, like at E3, and bringing back their criticism of having nothing to do in Mafia II. You just move on from bad/disappointing games after a while, it's more fun to focus on the things you like.

LAM09

Played a good few hours now and I'm still enjoying it. However, I can see the side missions grating on me very soon.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Ya I kept warning folks about the rep. By the time I beat it I felt a bit like an ordeal

I blame all the people who complained about Mafia II not having enough to do outside of the story, and the people who complain when a game isn't 30 hours long. Mafia II was about 12 hours in length and it was great, it didn't need 18 hours of shit filler content on top of the fantastic campaign but that's exactly what we got with Mafia III, a great story absolutely suffocated in human waste so you can't enjoy it. Plus Mafia II wasn't a technical mess and still looks and runs brilliantly today which obviously helps a great deal. It's also a shocking coincidence that the game is enjoyable for roughly the length of the Steam refund window but starts to come apart at the seams shortly after....

I'm hoping Mafia III will at least be of some use by serving as a warning for devs creating games in the future, most gamers would prefer 10ish hours of enjoyable gameplay that stays fresh throughout over 30 hours of repetitive grinding. Who knows? Maybe Ubisoft will finally start trimming the fat with Assassin's Creed which would greatly improve it IMO.

I just see absolutely woeful AI but maybe I'm just too angry that the game feel way short of my expections, who knows?

After hearing pre-release that it was going to be a crime-based territorial game I guess I kind of just assumed there would be repetition. Games that have tried similar things before it (namely Scarface and The Godfather I & II) were unique in their ambition, but repetitive in their delivery. It seems like a difficult thing to manage, and I don't really feel disappointed by it because it's largely how I expected it to go (though I think the story presentation, simulation driving, and combat are all phenomenal and are far exceeding my expectations)

The thing with Mafia III, though for the most part I don't mind the repetition, that I dislike is the repeated use of the same location. Like, you have two fronts or whatever in an area that you need to complete and then you flush out the main guy, and then you go back to one of the two fronts you've already cleared out. Just a third unique location would have gone a long way in mitigating a lot of the repetitive feel of that mechanic.

Jocund

All salient points. I do appreciate what 2k Czech managed to do for Mafia 2, especially considering the circumstances of the game's development. It couldn't have been an easy decision to abandon their original vision for the project.

Anyway, I've been enjoying Mafia 3. It's got it's issues, but I do hope that, like 2, those better parts will be what stick with me. Playing the game like a Frank Castle sim is certainly helping with some of the repetition.

Gbraga

All salient points. I do appreciate what 2k Czech managed to do for Mafia 2, especially considering the circumstances of the game's development. It couldn't have been an easy decision to abandon their original vision for the project.

Anyway, I've been enjoying Mafia 3. It's got it's issues, but I do hope that, like 2, those better parts will be what stick with me. Playing the game like a Frank Castle sim is certainly helping with some of the repetition.

I'm definitely excited to read final impressions from you guys as you finish it.

Taking a break after playing most of the day. I've finally got all three of my underbosses and things seem to open up even further. With more side missions and things to do. I don't know how "big" the game is honestly but damn it feels massive. The missions do feel kind of repetitive but the combat (after being caught from stealth killing a few early enemies) can be challenging enough and the gunplay is fun enough that I don't' mind it. If you aren't a fan of open world games I don't think this one is going to change your mind on them. But I'm still having a blast!

hbkdx12

I'm hoping Mafia III will at least be of some use by serving as a warning for devs creating games in the future, most gamers would prefer 10ish hours of enjoyable gameplay that stays fresh throughout over 30 hours of repetitive grinding. Who knows? Maybe Ubisoft will finally start trimming the fat with Assassin's Creed which would greatly improve it IMO.
Technical issues aside, this shouldn't be held as some kind of indictment on gaming. Its nowhere near that bad even with all the repetition. People are disappointed and that's fine but people are dogpiling the game with the notion of "this isn't what i wanted/expected" nearing no man's sky levels.

Honestly, unless someone was on a complete media blackout, i don't .know what people were expecting. The game was pretty clear what it was and how it was going to operate.

pa22word

When they first announced the "rackets" and how you would have to weaken them, I thought to myself, "Wait, this is going to end up just like the Godfather games and going to get super-repetitive."

Like I'm enjoying the game but yeah, this is exactly what the game plays like. So much so that I'm tempted to think that this game had a ton of staff from the EA Godfather games actually work on this one. It feels like a sort of sequel to those, mechanically speaking.

Top Bottom