• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

HiiiLife

It didn't. It's straight up "go to this person, start the cutscene and story mission". Much better.

Yeah I had to YouTube some missions couple minutes and jesus why they strayed from this style of campaign is beyond me. I love the locale and protagonist but they dropped the ball with these missions.

Ihyll

I think this game needed another year of polishing to improve the graphics, NPC's and just add more life to the open world....kind of disappointed in this game

Rellik

Wow quite a turnaround. The game is really weird. Sometimes it looks pretty good, then sometimes it looks absolutely terrible. When I got to the country club, the environment looked great but then a few seconds later it turned into a dark mess (its real time day/night changes?)

Looking forward to angry joe final review.

It switches day/night way too quick.

It's a little janky overall but functional. The thing that's killiing me right now is the text size. I'm on PS4 and I sit like 12 feet across the room from my 40" TV and I keep having to squint to see stuff. Wish there was an option to change the text and HUD size.

I guess even Joe has a honeymoon period. Funny enough, I'm actuality enjoying the game now despite being pretty disappointed at the start. The storytelling really caries the game for me.

I have cleaned 2 neighbourhood and the idea to clean 30 by the same exact mechanics is really overwhelming. I don't know what to do. It's just plain boring after 30 min.

I guess even Joe has a honeymoon period. Funny enough, I'm actuality enjoying the game now despite being pretty disappointed at the start. The storytelling really caries the game for me.

Of course he makes an angry rant video. Gotta get those views. The quality of his channel has dropped no end. Now he has a Swedish women who flies out to him probably because he notices that his views on twitch go up when a woman is on.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Of course he makes an angry rant video. Gotta get those views. The quality of his channel has dropped no end. Now he has a Swedish women who flies out to him probably because he notices that his views on twitch go up when a woman is on.

Yeah, his channel quality has definitely went down

PrinceKee

It's a little janky overall but functional. The thing that's killiing me right now is the text size. I'm on PS4 and I sit like 12 feet across the room from my 40" TV and I keep having to squint to see stuff. Wish there was an option to change the text and HUD size.

This is what I don't get. The small text in games is just unexcusable. I have 50" 4K tv and sit 10ft from and I can't read some of the control icons. There needs to be an option to make text bigger, than even without it I shouldn't have trouble seeing text on a tv the size of mine. I really notice the small text is games that are multiplat on PC's like we're a foot from the screen like PC gamers. Other than that I'm early in the game but, I'm enjoying it...

painey

just did a mission where I had to confront a boss, and got in a shootout. no joke I spent 20 minutes having 1 after another goon wander at me and get stabbed.. then I said fuck this, and went on the assault. I ran through a trailer and there was a goon on the other side of the door and had the biggest - no joke - BIGGEST jump scare of my life. christ. plus I didn't wiretap and killed the bastard accidentally.

Is there something wrong with my game, or is the daytime lighting fuckin' messed up? Every 30 seconds it shifts between getting darker and lighter outside. It looks ridiculous and is incredibly immersion breaking. Also, the graphics during the day are kinda ugly IMO. Decent inside and at night, though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is there something wrong with my game, or is the daytime lighting fuckin' messed up? Every 30 seconds it shifts between getting darker and lighter outside. It looks ridiculous and is incredibly immersion breaking. Also, the graphics during the day are kinda ugly IMO. Decent inside and at night, though.

its fucked

Nameless

Police chases aren't fun, neither are shootouts thanks to the PS2 tier A.I. and floaty aiming. Stealth sections are down right abysmal and the physics engine is so janky it's distracting. There also doesn't seem to be much room for the sort of emergent sandbox craziness you'd expect in a game like this. The soundtrack is fantastic as are some of the production values around the story beats, but the idea of taking over all these districts via the same repetitive tasks is just about the most unappealing thing I can imagine. The story is good but it ain't that good.

Best Buy is offering $40 trade credit, leaning towards taking the $10 L and moving on. Call it a weekend rental.

SJRB

Gold Member

I think they're going for an overcast effect, partial clouds casting shadows [or better - removing direct sunlight], but it just looks.. off.

The sunrise/sunset is bizarre too, it's literally a 5-second transition from pitch black into straight up daylight. It's kind of disorienting in a way, I can never tell what the time of day is. In a game like GTAV I can just look at the sky and make a sound guess as to what time of day [or night] it is, based on the position of the sun and all that. But in this game, nothing.

This game is so weird in certain ways.

Happens to me too, if you sit still the sky gets all fucked up quickly like you are in a time lapse or something. PS4 with latest patch.

Definitely a "don't bother buying this game now, wait for 75% sale" game for me at this point. I think the story is interesting enough, but everything else is average at best.

Triteon

I am now finding the side missions really repetitive.

Also I drove past this one area on the way to start an area, see a lot of bad dudes get out kill 'em, I go to my meet, I then get a mission to go back, I'm like I just smoked them fools so I should be able to blow shit up easy I go back less than one minute later and all the bad guys are back. That was the kicker.

I have to give the game some serious props in the music and shooting department though, the actual shooting people loop is fun. and I feel like I have to make my shots count because you don't carry much ammo.

Also I haven't looked over the whole thread, but goddamn I'm impressed that there are so many interiors in this game, you cant go into every building but you can go into a lot of them. It gives the game a much different feeling of scale to the usual GTA open world style games.

heringer

With 5 hours of gameplay, what are the chances of getting a refund? Game is a technical mess. Will watch the movie later on Youtube.

edit: meant to post on performance thread.

DukeBobby

The game gives a great first impression (first 3 hours or so) but quickly becomes a very tedious grind.

I've taken over three territories, but the thought of having to do six more makes me want to smash my head against a brick wall.

phant0m

Police chases aren't fun, neither are shootouts thanks to the PS2 tier A.I. and floaty aiming. Stealth sections are down right abysmal and the physics engine is so janky it's distracting. There also doesn't seem to be much room for the sort of emergent sandbox craziness you'd expect in a game like this. The soundtrack is fantastic as are some of the production values around the story beats, but the idea of taking over all these districts via the same repetitive tasks is just about the most unappealing thing I can imagine. The story is good but it ain't that good.

Best Buy is offering $40 trade credit, leaning towards taking the $10 L and moving on. Call it a weekend rental.

What? The shooting is the 2nd best part of this game after the story.

What issue do people have with stealth? I have no problem sneaking around ganking guys.

Triteon

I think they're going for an overcast effect, partial clouds casting shadows [or better - removing direct sunlight], but it just looks.. off.

The sunrise/sunset is bizarre too, it's literally a 5-second transition from pitch black into straight up daylight.

This game is so weird in certain ways.

I think your forgetting the minute or two where the sun is level to the ground and everything that reflects (which is everything in this game) bounces it right into your retinas and you feel like your going blind.

I understand what they were going for because that shit happens at sunrise but its a crazy effect in this game.

Actually that sentence "understand what they were going for" can be applied to Mafia in a whole bunch of ways but the lighting is the one that gets me the most because sometimes it looks so goddamn cool, Then the trees look like lasers, or the clouds go nuts.

Rellik

Don't bother with the police chases. Just get out your car and run down an alley. The AI is dumb and loses sight of you.

The highs and lows of Mafia 3:

It's nighttime so I walk into a bar to see if there's a drinking minigame or whatever. The owner tells me I'm not welcome here, and after that the game prompts me that certain stores don't want people of color visiting, and if I hang around too long an owner will call the police.
So I wait for a bit and the owner walks up to me, probably to talk shit or something. So I back out of the bar, but he keeps following me. I walk into the alley behind the bar, the guy still following me and then I turn around and press the takedown button. Lincoln grabs the guy by the throat and with one right hook knocks the life out of him. Like straight up, the guy is fucking dead. Drops like a sack of potatoes. That's what you get, I suppose.

Unfortunately an old lady saw me and wants to call the police. The game tells me that I'd better take down the witness before she gets a chance to call the cops. So eh, okay I guess I'll do that. So Lincoln, this 200-pound killing machine runs up to this old lady waggling her way to the nearest payphone and with one move just fucking dropkicks this 70-year-old lady to the ground. Other people spot me, one of them also decides to be a hero so I have to run up to this guy as well and choke him the fuck out.

All I wanted was a drink.

I need a GIF of Lincoln dropkicking an old lady.

Starfield

The intro of the game (like up until that point where the story really begins) is such an amazing experience and already in my top 3 gaming moments, holy hell...great job Hangar 13

brawly

The game gives a great first impression (first 3 hours or so) but quickly becomes a very tedious grind.

I've taken over three territories, but the thought of having to do six more makes me want to smash my head against a brick wall.

This is me. Can anyone who's further down the line comment on whether those six territories are any different/worth it?

Matush

Damn, played like 6 hours of the game and what a disappointment so far. Already have all underbosses, but mission structure and open world in general is sooooo boring. I mean Mafia was never about picking up hundreds and hundreds collectibles and doing same old boring quests, but it looks like this one is. There are basically almost no creatively different mission types, we get boring ass fetch quests, killing or clearing outposts and so on. I would gladly switched this model for more structured story based oriented game like 1 or 2 was.

btw. I love open world games most of the time, but so far not here... I cant imagine clearing 5 or 6 more districts after first three.

Mr. Hyde

I am not sure of my opinion on this at the moment. I was hoping it stayed like the first two hours but then the world opened up and the mission of destroying the prostitution house was a bit boring and messy. If this is what the game is all about with story missions thrown in, I am not sure how I will feel about pushing through the game.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I've found myself enjoying the game outside of story missions a lot more by just pretending I'm Frank Castle in an open world sequel to The Punisher game on the PS2/XB/PC. :eek:

Shame to hear some of the impressions have soured. Still want to check it out as I can set aside some design flaws when a game has great style/production, but I will probably hold out for a price drop.

JTripper

Has anyone actually completed the main story yet? I've heard literally nothing about whether or not the story delivers as a whole from someone who has finished it.

Mik2121

Got the game yesterday for PS4 and played it until after the
prostitution racket
During the first few missions the frame rate was all over the place, and there was a very distracting bug where there would be this massive shadow (I would assume cloud shadows) rolling all over the map at lightning speed then going out, coming back, etc... For a few times, which made it look really weird.

After the part I cleared at the end though, it felt like the frame rate was almost stable, and I didn't see a bug for the hour or so I spent running around and messing with random thugs.

As many people has said, at first I was a bit let down and wondering if I had done the correct purchase, but after going through the story for a bit and really enjoying the shooting, I'm now looking forward to playing some more.

I hope the devs update the game and fix some of the technical issues plus do something about the top mirror when driving, I never use it and it takes up quite a chunk of screen.
Also options for turning on/off things like the GPS signs and whatnot...

Top Bottom