• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Technical issues aside, this shouldn't be held as some kind of indictment on gaming. Its nowhere near that bad even with all the repetition. People are disappointed and that's fine but people are dogpiling the game with the notion of "this isn't what i wanted/expected" nearing no man's sky levels.

Honestly, unless someone was on a complete media blackout, i don't .know what people were expecting. The game was pretty clear what it was and how it was going to operate.

I've been following the game closely since it was announced and I have to call bullshit on this comment (no offence), everyone involved in the games PR did an incredible job of making it look much, much better and more interesting than it actually is. They hid the jank, technical issues and repetition masterfully.

Collecting fuses is a goddamn chore.

I have 70 now.

100% cleared out the three cities I've worked in so far.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Playboys to read.

Tovarisc

Déjà vu in Matrix, what has been altered?
mafia3_2016_10_09_05_wzrkg.png

hbkdx12

I've been following the game closely since it was announced and I have to call bullshit on this comment (no offence), everyone involved in the games PR did an incredible job of making it look much, much better and more interesting than it actually is. They hid the jank, technical issues and repetition masterfully.

I disagree. I don't think anything about the gameplay was hidden at all. When the first trailer went up on gaf. I posted that it reminded me of godfather 2 and if that's the route they go down then i'm in. This is exactly what the game is and does. As recently as a week ago, there were tons of previews and footage of people doing nothing but taking down rackets, interrogating people, etc. People were knee deep in skepticism stating that it looked repetitive and wondering if there's anything else to do. I wrote this almost a month before release.

There's a good story with good characters that's buried under heaps of repetition. But again, the repetition could be gleaned pretty early. Story wise, it's clear it's a revenge tale that involves taking down the organization piece by piece, person by person. Then for months we're shown nothing but gameplay where you're taking over rackets with the major hook being that you need to assign them to your own lieutenants and balance those relationships. Those two things combined, i don't see how people couldn't see where things were going unless they just had no frame of reference for these type of mechanics in the game to begin with.

I mean, i can see people wanting less repetition than the amount thats there but being surprised or upset that the game is structured and flows the way it does only makes sense to me if someone went into the game not knowing anything about it at all.

Collecting fuses is a goddamn chore.

I have 70 now.

100% cleared out the three cities I've worked in so far.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Playboys to read.
The fuses are so far my biggest gripe with the game. Largely because there's a 3-to-1 ratio of how many parts you need for a wiretap. There are a shit ton of wiretaps as it is. I wish they would have made them 1-to-1

Arlen777

Question regarding possible bug:
Is the first mission supposed to be interrupted by introduction? Like when i grab machine gun in the federal reserve?

I'm not a fan at all of the boring stilted cutscenes that have two people directly facing each other and just talking. The camera doesn't move at all and there's barely any emotion in the characters faces and bodies. They're making Xenoblade Chronicles X look good with these crappy looking cutscenes. Why is it presented like this? If the developers didn't want to animate these scenes, then just give me an audio log that I can listen to on the road.

Karak

I blame all the people who complained about Mafia II not having enough to do outside of the story, and the people who complain when a game isn't 30 hours long. Mafia II was about 12 hours in length and it was great, it didn't need 18 hours of shit filler content on top of the fantastic campaign but that's exactly what we got with Mafia III, a great story absolutely suffocated in human waste so you can't enjoy it. Plus Mafia II wasn't a technical mess and still looks and runs brilliantly today which obviously helps a great deal. It's also a shocking coincidence that the game is enjoyable for roughly the length of the Steam refund window but starts to come apart at the seams shortly after....

I'm hoping Mafia III will at least be of some use by serving as a warning for devs creating games in the future, most gamers would prefer 10ish hours of enjoyable gameplay that stays fresh throughout over 30 hours of repetitive grinding. Who knows? Maybe Ubisoft will finally start trimming the fat with Assassin's Creed which would greatly improve it IMO.

I just see absolutely woeful AI but maybe I'm just too angry that the game feel way short of my expections, who knows?
I don't I blame the creators.
Professionals are supposed to understand how to glean actionable information from various subsets of metrics and put forth a plan. It is basic game development and if you look anywhere and ask devs they will usually have various ways in which data is NOT going to flood them without context and then they move from there to a more, whats a good idea, what do we want to do, how do we do it mindset?

Man, I loved those Godfather games. The first one especially.

Much needed around here. Thanks.

Agreed. Loved them. Wasn't their also a scarface game for the xbox and PS1?

Its not about fans wanting more its about how the devs delivered it.

Wiseblood

There's this one junction box near the south end of Downtown that appears to be underground. How the hell do I get to it? I can't seem to find a path in the canals that lead to it.

EDIT: It's in Downtown, not the French Ward.

I don't I blame the creators.
Professionals are supposed to understand how to glean actionable information from various subsets of metrics and put forth a plan. It is basic game development and if you look anywhere and ask devs they will usually have various ways in which data is NOT going to flood them without context and then they move from there to a more, whats a good idea, what do we want to do, how do we do it mindset?

Agreed. Loved them. Wasn't their also a scarface game for the xbox and PS1?

Its not about fans wanting more its about how the devs delivered it.

I'm like you I blame 2K I imagine this got bumped up to must release because battleborn and other games under performed. The thing is while the game is technically a shit show the developers did release a patch that did unlock the frame rate (again issues with that but it shows to me that they are not going to cut and run)

There's this one junction box near the south end of the French Quarter that appears to be underground. How the hell do I get to it? I can't seem to find a path in the canals that lead to it.

Some tunnels can be accessed by boat via the coast, or via attacking an enemy operation.

I have played 12 hours (and am done for a while) and I see this game is gonna be like Ass Creed Syndicate and Far Cry 3 where it's gonna take me years to finish because I keep taking long ass breaks between play sessions since the bloat and repetition wears me down. And I still haven't finished those games sooooooooo yeah I don't think I'll be seeing the ending anytime soon. Might just cave and watch the rest of the cutscenes on Youtube since I am really interested in the story.

Karak

The thing is while the game is technically a shit show the developers did release a patch that did unlock the frame rate (again issues with that but it shows to me that they are not going to cut and run)

Well lets be honest the patch wasn't a magical thing created in a short time, but it was obviously already supposed to be in the game...a patch to run at 60fps in which they weren't even clear until right upon release that would be an issue anyway. When that sinks in...

See we can't have it both ways.
The truth behind it is either one of these.
1. It truly just took a couple days. (That means that they mishandled resources and crunch time for a basic and vital PC component- or magically somehow forgot FPS options in their PC game for their fans. Which points to a mismanagement of their fanbase)
2. It was in the works longer than that due to issues in the game engine. Which would also might account for the number of folks finding the post patch return to either be optimized or causing even more crashes.(but if so that data should have been out there. They could have said "He were are patching 60 FPS right away"

But thats just me.

I think "Are We Cool" is glitched. It says 2/2 completed under Emmanuel's dossier but it still shows up as an optional mission.

It is bugged, but also you need to wait until you open up more front's for cassandra before you can continue it. It should give you that notification when you look at the mission, but for a lot of people it is still showing up as an active mission objective that leads you towards nothing

Hopefully it gets fixed soon as it seems to be a widespread problem

Corpekata

Banned
Is there like a cheatengine that will just get me a bunch of these stupid electronic parts for wire taps? I'm so over grinding these out. Half the use of wire taps now seems to be finding more wire taps!

At least let me buy them! Or hell have it be so like one of the capos upgrade paths reduces parts needed or something. Does anything like that come along?

Mr. Tibbs

Well lets be honest the patch wasn't a magical thing created in a short time, but it was obviously already supposed to be in the game...a patch to run at 60fps in which they weren't even clear until right upon release that would be an issue anyway. When that sinks in...

See we can't have it both ways.
The truth behind it is either one of these.
1. It truly just took a couple days. (That means that they mishandled resources and crunch time for a basic and vital PC component- or magically somehow forgot FPS options in their PC game for their fans. Which points to a mismanagement of their fanbase)
2. It was in the works longer than that due to issues in the game engine. Which would also might account for the number of folks finding the post patch return to either be optimized or causing even more crashes.(but if so that data should have been out there. They could have said "He were are patching 60 FPS right away"

But thats just me.

In reality, it's because it's a new team, on a new engine, in a new generation, shipping on 3 platforms that weren't able to delay their game.

No one on the development team thought it was a good idea to ship without 60fps on PC.

Karak

In reality, it's because it's a new team, on a new engine, in a new generation, shipping on 3 platforms that weren't able to delay their game.

No one on the development team thought it was a good idea to ship without 60fps on PC.

That is indeed the reality. A critical failure and NONE of them on the team haven't worked on others titles, including those that would identify the basic structure of options on the platforms.. Those exact failures I listed are indeed whats going on.

Or we can believe this team that were new(but not at all), on a new engine, in a new generation somehow magically learned that this mattered and how to do it, all that in 2 days. Which if thats true is actually a bit worse since they should have known those things prior.

Is there like a cheatengine that will just get me a bunch of these stupid electronic parts for wire taps? I'm so over grinding these out. Half the use of wire taps now seems to be finding more wire taps!

At least let me buy them! Or hell have it be so like one of the capos upgrade paths reduces parts needed or something. Does anything like that come along?
LOL. Only in my second playthrough have I BARELY even utilized them haha

Karak

this is is the entire reason i'm enjoying it. i get to shoot kkk members and play punisher against the deep south. this alone has been worth it for me

There is something hilarious about stealing the Dixie Mafia's boat and then driving it full speed across the lawn into a group of them talking about some pretty rough stuff:) Loved it

I can't remember the last time my opinion has swung so hard on a game, in both directions. It's like whiplash, and it puts me in an uncomfortable position of not really liking a game I actually like a lot of individual things about. The game is at its best when it's leaning hard on its plot and characters. However, I found the story itself to be somewhat underwhelming giving the heady subject matter and hype going into the game. The presentation is fantastic, especially the cuts between the "current day" and the sort of documentary/police report sections the game uses to frame the story. Very slick. However, for a game that puts itself out there saying it's going to be dealing with racism and racial prejudice in a serious and realistic manner the story itself is almost on the level of a blaxploitation-style revenge thriller, with our ridiculously competent and overpowered hero smashing and brutalizing his way through a bunch of cartoonishly over the top racists and rich white men. I've no problem with this kinda story, hell, to be honest I was totally invested in everything by the end no matter how cliche, but I couldn't help but feel somewhere that I was expecting more. I'm not sure quite sure WHAT I was expecting given that Mafia 2 was a completely straightforward adaptation of every mob movie ever made. But at least it seemed to know what it was and never suggested that it was anything more, while Mafia 3 literally opens with a disclaimer from the devs saying that they were going to portray some hard truths about the era that would be unpleasant to modern ears and eyes but had to be done lest they compromised their integrity and commitment to telling the story. A story...which frankly could be the plot of a Punisher movie.

The first 3 or so hours of the game are amazing, no joke. One of the strongest opens in a narrative-heavy game I've seen in a while, even with Uncharted 4 and MGS5 in the mix. It's flashy, it sets a great tone, it gets to the point and actually lets you play the game pretty quickly (something the aforementioned games should have done). And it even addresses those hard themes the game was advertising in a fairly serious manner. But then I got out of the prologue, and saw what the REAL game is. It's side-quests. Constant, never ending side-quests. Doing repetitive missions, "conquering" territory, complete 4 or so mini-objectives, fight a boss, do it again and fight another boss, and THEN you can do one enjoyable story based mission. And then you get to do it all again! It's, frankly, mind-numbing. And you have to do it over 10 times! This is the same repetitive mission design that ruined Mad Max and whats even more baffling is that this game's predecessor, Mafia 2, avoided this problem entirely and gracefully. It was a linear set of creative and interesting missions where the open-world just served as the framework you moved through to get from one to the other. It was never anything more than background, but it never needed to be, simply letting you bask in how atmospheric and "authentic" it was without forcing you to interact with it in an exceptionally video gamey way. Unlike Mafia 3, which wants me to believe that there are 3 identical orange cars on their same gorgeously rendered and designed city block and I need to steal them ALL (2 even spawned in the exact same spot).

The actual moment to moment gameplay is actually a lot of fun though, ignoring WHY you are doing things for the sheer pleasure of doing them. This is something else Mad Max did, incidentally. Just running around as Clay, popping gang members and doing takedowns is smooth and responsive and the shooting has this nice visceral feel to it that excuses how simple the game is, tactically. The AI is completely worthless, as others have said, making stealth broken and overpowered, but in a way it definitely plays into the whole power fantasy element the game has going for it. Sneaking or Shooting, whatever you do Clay is a monster and tears through opposition like tissue paper and that ties in cathartically to the events of the story. You WANT Clay to be an unstoppable badass; he deserves to be and needs to be so the bad guys get their comeuppance. So your average redneck goon wandering into a big pile of his friends just to get knifed in the face is excusable, to a degree.

I really want to like this game. I loved Mafia 2, warts and all, and when this game is at its best it really feels like the true next-gen successor I wanted. But more often than not it feels like it's completely forgotten what made Mafia 2 good in favor of chasing the kind of open world design trends people were tired of 2 years ago. It's a good game, that sometimes moonlights as a great game, and that just makes it all the more disappointing.

I'm not sure where all the praise for the story is coming from for this game.

It has a somewhat interesting opening, but the rest of the game so far has just been one big revenge tale. I don't mind, because I think the game is fun to play, but I definitely wouldn't say that the story is good so far.

Mr. Tibbs

That is indeed the reality. A critical failure and NONE of them on the team haven't worked on others titles, including those that would identify the basic structure of options on the platforms.. Those exact failures I listed are indeed whats going on.

Or we can believe this team that were new(but not at all), on a new engine, in a new generation somehow magically learned that this mattered and how to do it, all that in 2 days. Which if thats true is actually a bit worse since they should have known those things prior.
I'm not suggesting it's okay for consumers to have to deal with technical problems. It's not, but developers don't set release dates. Publishers do. Given how quickly the patch released, there's little doubt that 60fps was working until something had dire unforeseen consequences that forced the team to pull it.

Every single part of a game's development is staggeringly, stupefyingly difficult. Shit happens. Designs change while the game is in progress, systems change, and sometimes you don't go back and fix everything that was a consequence of the original design.

It's possible that the physics simulation was locked at 30hz regardless of the rendering thread to make physical interactions 100% reliable independent of framerate (this can be a fucking nightmare to deal with), then you get the game up and running on console and the render thread is also locked at 30hz so you don't see things ever get out-of-sync or stutter (like the original Bioshock). Then, when nearing ship, you realize that when you upcap the framerate on the PC version, you see all sorts of weird issues with physics updating slower than the rest of the game, and when you uncap physics the entire fucking game shits itself.

Then you make the call: "we have to ship this on time", and the PC framerate gets bumped to zero-day patch, and sometimes that slips a few days.

It's a veteran team: ex-Visceral, Lucas Arts, 2K Czech, Playground Games, Epic, etc...

I'm not sure where all the praise for the story is coming from for this game.

It has a somewhat interesting opening, but the rest of the game so far has just been one big revenge tale. I don't mind, because I think the game is fun to play, but I definitely wouldn't say that the story is good so far.

I think a lot of the people who are really praising the story have only played the prologue, which actually does have a lot of likable characters and some legitimately good storytelling. That, or they just really like revenge stories.

Cornbread78

I think a lot of the people who are really praising the story have only played the prologue, which actually does have a lot of likable characters and some legitimately good storytelling. That, or they just really like revenge stories.

Everyone loves revenge stories, lol. Check out 91 Days at some point..

May I say this game has the most tedious territory takeover system I've ever experienced in a game? It'd be a lot better if it was just your standard "do this one objective to take over this piece of land" system like every other game with territory mechanics. Instead you gotta talk to Donovan, then talk to the two contacts, do a dozen mini objectives, return to the contacts, get the six items for the junction boxes and unlock them where the racket bosses are, do racket boss missions (who are in the same location you already cleared while doing mini-objectives), do actual good story mission, and then the sit-down meeting.

And all of that with no fast-travel system goddayum! Did anyone in Hanger 13 actually play their own game from start-to-finish?

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's a fairly typical revenge plot, but I absolutely love the way it's presented. I find the documentary aspect to be pretty awesome.

Stiler

Do the collectibles (playboys/vargas paintings, etc) give you ANYTHING in the game (like a special car/outfit, etc) or are they entirely for the achievement people to get points and no real reason to collect them?

This is probably going to make my GOTY list. This game is amazing. I have over 12 hours i would say, and i have been having so much fun. The gun-play is amazing and makes the weapons have impact. Really great game.

Karak

Almost through it a second time. Really do like the entire story. Regardless of revenge or not

I dunno. No issues otherwise... At least one other person i've encountered has had an extremely lengthy install.

Did you install from disc? I had a digital download.

Yes, that must be it.

Do the collectibles (playboys/vargas paintings, etc) give you ANYTHING in the game (like a special car/outfit, etc) or are they entirely for the achievement people to get points and no real reason to collect them?

There's no trophy for the collectibles. It's just for T&A!

They just should have put all that "zone control" part of non-mandatory progression of your character, like story mission getting really harder and it's easier for you to upgrade your character with the money unlocked by taking territories.

Now this system of progressions is just nonsense. Sorry about ranting about it again and again...

Kard8p3

So question about a side mission if anyone knows. Where is
the boat for Emmanuel so you can pick up the reefer and deliver it?
Don't see anything to trigger this and talking to him does nothing.

My first weed mission popped up after a few hours, it was right after Lincoln calls the meeting.

hbkdx12

Just had my second sit down. Really like (mild presentation spoiler)
how the dialogue changes depending on how the last sit down went.

How do you get and complete favors? There are lots of unlockables if you complete them. I'm 12 hours into the game and haven't found a way to start these missions, wtf?

So I've unlocked all these rackets to mess with now and I'll need to assign districts. But I'd like some guidance about how to go about this. I have two ideas.

1. Each underboss will get two rackets and the district between the three we have available. Like I'm giving Burke the Car Theft and Smuggling district, etc.

2. Two get one of each of the rackets available and then one will run the district...not sure how this would go over.

I'm leaning towards Option 1.

So I've unlocked all these rackets to mess with now and I'll need to assign districts. But I'd like some guidance about how to go about this. I have two ideas.

1. Each underboss will get two rackets and the district between the three we have available. Like I'm giving Burke the Car Theft and Smuggling district, etc.

2. Two get one of each of the rackets available and then one will run the district...not sure how this would go over.

I'm leaning towards Option 1.
I'm honestly really worried about this as well. I don't know if there is just one 'right' way to do it, but I hope there's a simple way of assigning territory to keep all three of the underbosses happy

SliChillax

8 hours in I'm enjoying the game but man what a disappointment this is when compared to Mafia 2. Even graphically it looks worse than Mafia 2 half the time. It's the typical boring open world do the same thing over again kind of game which I do not mind that much but I was expecting a sequel to Mafia 2 not Mad Max set in New Orleans.

pa22word

What's the best way to
keep the family happy? Give them districts evenly?

Doing it evenly is impossible because there's one more than can be given equally, no?

I've just been giving them all the two adjacent districts to their original territory, and am probably going to give Vito the extra one because Vito's awesome.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gonna echo a lot of what I've been seeing. The opening hours are really damn good and much more focused, but now that I've been in the world for a bit...I dunno. I feel like it lost so much focus as I'm going around rackets, all the way down to the weird character dialog where you both just kinda stand there which is a shame considering how good the VA and animations have been.

Luckily the combat is satisfying as hell but I'm not sure how long this can keep my interest.

Gamezone

Gold Member
8 hours in I'm enjoying the game but man what a disappointment this is when compared to Mafia 2. Even graphically it looks worse than Mafia 2 half the time. It's the typical boring open world do the same thing over again kind of game which I do not mind that much but I was expecting a sequel to Mafia 2 not Mad Max set in New Orleans.

Yes. Mafia 1 was better than Mafia 2,and Mafia 3 is the worst.

Top Bottom