• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

hbkdx12

How do you get and complete favors? There are lots of unlockables if you complete them. I'm 12 hours into the game and haven't found a way to start these missions, wtf?

You're able to do them as you give your lieutenants rackets and districts

So I've unlocked all these rackets to mess with now and I'll need to assign districts. But I'd like some guidance about how to go about this. I have two ideas.

1. Each underboss will get two rackets and the district between the three we have available. Like I'm giving Burke the Car Theft and Smuggling district, etc.

2. Two get one of each of the rackets available and then one will run the district...not sure how this would go over.

I'm leaning towards Option 1.
I won't spoil anything but assigning districts doesn't really work the way your thinking

Combat in this game is insanely satisfying omg

2VGjdz8.gif

hbkdx12

Wait, what? How do I do this? I've already completed three districts and the two"delivery" quests for each boss.

Spoilers

Each district that a lieutenant owns equals one favor that you can do. If you've only done the first three districts, then there's only 1 favor available per lieutenant

Sidequest spoilers

The "delivery" sidequests require your lieutenants to have a certain amount of rackets before you can do it as the whole idea is that you're delivering the contraband to different rackets for that lieutenant

So just keep assigning rackets and districts and you'll be fine

vypek

Doing it evenly is impossible because there's one more than can be given equally, no?

I've just been giving them all the two adjacent districts to their original territory, and am probably going to give Vito the extra one because Vito's awesome.
Ah. Didn't even realize there was an extra. I'll try something similar to that. Want to keep in good standing with all of them

Spoilers

Each district that a lieutenant owns equals one favor that you can do. If you've only done the first three districts, then there's only 1 favor available per lieutenant

Sidequest spoilers

The "delivery" sidequests require your lieutenants to have a certain amount of rackets before you can do it as the whole idea is that you're delivering the contraband to different rackets for that lieutenant

So just keep assigning rackets and districts and you'll be fine

Ahhaaaa...thanks! This game explains nothing, lmao.

SJRB

Gold Member
An open world game in 2016 where you cannot change the appearance of your character whatsoever just blows my fucking mind.

When was the last time we had a game where customization wasn't an option, Prototype or something? Back in 2009?

bosseye

Played about 4-5 hours last night - love it so far, it's been a nice story slow build up, but very compelling even though it seems to be at its heart a simple revenge story, at least your motivation is clear. I like how you
have this massive scar as a constant reminder and your first stash is in the burned out ruins of your 'family' home
. It's wonderfully presented and the period stuff is excellent.

The combat is fantastic too, really punchy and aggressive, the way the bad guys react when you shoot them is very well done, I like the way guns your feel really meaty, like the bullet is actually doing damage. The shotgun is brilliant, sends guys flying.

Graphically on PS4 I think its really good. Like most games there are lower quality areas but the atmosphere evoked from the whole is excellent. I really like the lighting, it's very oversaturated, very bloom heavy. Being from the UK I might be entirely wrong, but I always assume the south is humid and moist and sort of heavy air, so this lighting gives me this sensation, especially when it goes all dark and stormy over a bright setting sun with light rain, puddles everywhere, lots of nice reflections. Looks great. There are also plenty of details, the world is a nice place to potter around looking at the environment, soaking it all in.

I guess I haven't played long enough for repetition to set in yet though. It will, always does in open world stuff for me, but I'm not so bothered. So yeah, very solid game so far.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
An open world game in 2016 where you cannot change the appearance of your character whatsoever just blows my fucking mind.

When was the last time we had a game where customization wasn't an option, Prototype or something? Back in 2009?

The weird thing is you already do have different outfits throughout the missions, not sure why that isn't there, lol.

I'd much rather just have the tshirt look from early in the game.

-BLITZ-

2VGjdz8.gif

I hated that in Mafia 2 I had to aim in order to shot from a cover and every time when I was aiming from cover I was loosing 80% of health from one shotgun shot. Finally they implemented what suppose to be from the beginning of Mafia 2.

Nyx

Just killed
Tony Derozio

Loved that mission and how it ended.

Eventually escaped from the hotel by driving the car that Tony fell on lol

hbkdx12

Just killed
Tony Derozio

Loved that mission and how it ended.

Eventually escaped from the hotel by driving the car that Tony fell on lol

Same :)
Walking from floor to floor slowly and methodically with a shotgun just blowing dudes away was amazing.

Meh, putting the game on a 10 day auction on ebay then i'll buy BF1 premium with the proceeds. After GTA5 this feels really underwhelming to me. Oh well.

Kuldar

The story at the radio about
the white guy Dupree who shooted two black men looking for help
sounds like something we could see in the news today. :(

dealer-

2VGjdz8.gif

Yeah chaining together brutal takedowns never gets old.

When everything comes together in this game it's awesome ie the one really good story mission in ten with great direction that pushes the story forward. Voice acting, cutscenes are great here and makes the repetitive busy work of rackets more frustrating.

Elven_Star

I know people have been criticising the way the game looks, but I really really like it. The graphics simply fit the setting perfectly, in my opinion. Not gonna touch this game with any kind of reshade and ENB. That would be a crime. Whole different story on the technical side of things, of course.

Jb

Why would the game make you sneak/fight through sub-bosses HQs like the distillery or slaughterhouse in Pointe Verdun twice (once as part of the racket stuff and once to neutralize the boss)? It completely takes away any thrill of exploring a new location to find your target.

I thought I would play most of the game stealthily but the AI is so goddamn stupid and the stealth so easy it got pretty boring and repetitive. Instead I just bought the best weapons available and go in guns blazing. It's still very easy but at least it's faster.

This also has to be a contender for worst looking big budget game of the year

What the fuck.

Roufianos

Only done about 3 racket missions and I'm bored as fuck.

Copy & Paste level design like this should be saved for side quests, or better yet, not be in the game at all.

I'm getting fucking sick of this gen and the perception that bigger = better.

This game and MGSV would have been absolutely incredible games if they were half the length but as well paced as their opening.

The only games that have got it right are Witcher 3 and GTAV.

Everything else just feels like it was created in Infamous' level editor.

I want my missions to have context, have set pieces, be unique. Not something that feels like the last one I made but with a few adjustments made on a slider.

Respect the fucking player's time.

Arkanius

Only done about 3 racket missions and I'm bored as fuck.

Copy & Paste level design like this should be saved for side quests, or better yet, not be in the game at all.

I'm getting fucking sick of this gen and the perception that bigger = better.

This game and MGSV would have been absolutely incredible games if they were half the length but as well paced as their opening.

The only games that have got it right are Witcher 3 and GTAV.

Everything else just feels like it was created in Infamous' level editor.

I want my missions to have context, have set pieces, be unique. Not something that feels like the last one I made but with a few adjustments made on a slider.

Respect the fucking player's time.

This.
The game main missions feel like one huge sidequest.

The combat is satisfying but the gameplay loop doesn't seem to keep me interested between cut scenes.

Love the story, but it's just... Boring between each assassination.
Reminds me of Assassins Creed I

So after this patch I think I lost all the money from my vault. Had about 15k in there and now I only have $80 left. Not sure what happened there

I know people have been criticising the way the game looks, but I really really like it. The graphics simply fit the setting perfectly, in my opinion. Not gonna touch this game with any kind of reshade and ENB. That would be a crime. Whole different story on the technical side of things, of course.

Same. I get that it might not hold up to scrutiny, and people on this site really have an aversion to post processing/filters/color timing, but the hazy postcard look the game goes for sometimes is successful much more often than it's not IMO.

bosseye

Same. I get that it might not hold up to scrutiny, and people on this site really have an aversion to post processing/filters/color timing, but the hazy postcard look the game goes for sometimes is successful much more often than it's not IMO.

Agree. I find it insanely atmospheric, evocative, whatever. I can feel the humidity. I assume that's what the devs were going for.

Jb

The fact that it can look really nice in very specific circumstances make it extra-jarring when it looks like shit, which it does most of the time.
It's a fucking mess.

Rellik

The option is coming in an update.

Nyx

The fact that it can look really nice in very specific circumstances make it extra-jarring when it looks like shit, which it does most of the time.
It's a fucking mess.

I'd say it is the other way around, it looks good most of the time, really bad sometimes.

Why would the game make you sneak/fight through sub-bosses HQs like the distillery or slaughterhouse in Pointe Verdun twice (once as part of the racket stuff and once to neutralize the boss)? It completely takes away any thrill of exploring a new location to find your target.

Because repetition is the name of the game. I remember after the prologue seeing a body armour icon on the mini map, so i scoped the it out and discovered the burlesque theater, Once in it said I was in enemy zone and I thought i'd stumbled on some cool side mission area. I stealthed my way through killing everyone inside without alerting anyone, including the two guys arguing in the office upstairs. Got my self a few grand in the bank, some body armour and was felling pretty good about how open the game was gonna be...
..then the 1st mission sent me right back there...but everyone had respawned. I killed them all again and finished the mission....only to be sent back again on the next fucking mission >.<
So I inadvertently added a redundant playthough ontop of the other two the game makes you do anyways.
Right out the gate the game killed any thirst to explore the world in case this happens again. So frustrating.

It's a fucking mess.

The game can look very strange if the lighting/skybox bugs out, but I still have like 3 GB of screens on my PS4 and I'm really not straining myself to find "very specific circumstances." More often than not the artstyle comes across strongly in my experience, particularly in the Bayou.

Jb

The game can look very strange if the lighting/skybox bugs out, but I still have like 3 GB of screens on my PS4 and I'm really not straining myself to find "very specific circumstances." More often than not the artstyle comes across strongly in my experience, particularly in the Bayou.

I'm not really talking about the artstyle but about how the lighting will make the whole world look completely awful >50% of the time, how low res and aliased the cars and buildings look (on PS4 at least).

I actually really like the style they're going for. It's evocative and it fits the overall tone of the game beautifully. I just wish the artstyle was something I could focus on instead of the mountain of graphical glitches and poor IQ.

Scotia

Banned
The game keeps crashing in the same spot for me and there's no way to prevent it. I don't actually think I'll be able to keep playing it ffs

Mideon

Just had to interrogate someone did that stabbed them and they won't die and the objective won't go away as completed. What a joke.

I just got shot to death during a cutscene...I don't...I can't...
He just stood there chatting away to the priest while the cop kept shooting at him. There wasn't even an APB out.

Sasie

Those who dislike the gameplay but liked the previous games should at least look up the cutscenes on youtube. It's about four hours long but once I started last night I just couldn't stop.

I personally played up until I claimed the first district before I decided the gameplay just wasn't worth it. However the story had been so strong I just had to see the rest.

Heavy spoilers:
By the end of the game Lincoln is just as much as monster as those he fight. The camera footage of the priest through out the game completely broke my heart. Especially his final scene at the end and that church scene where Lincoln decide to remain as a criminal.

Dave1988

Does anyone know how many
Racket Informants are there in the game? I killed one by mistake and I'm wondering if I'm screwed out of the trophy or not...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Got the game this morning and 15 minutes in it's already glitched.

Robbed the safe and defending, killed the guards but one is upstairs and I have no access to him so I can't kill.

So I drive half-way across the map to do a side mission for the Haitians which involves stealing a boat. When I get to the icon, I discover the game has neglected to load the boat. Do I need to give Cassandra more territory?

Top Bottom