• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

sym30l1c

I've got the boat glitch too.

Done 2 side missions for the Haitians. When I talk to Emmanuel, game says I'm done and one of my objectives is to get more rackets. After a while, I get the boat icon again, exactly in the same place I had already cleared out. I go there and there are no enemies and no boat. I reload the game and sometimes the boat sign spawns on the ground, and other times in different locations. My objective changes from "get more rackets" to the same objective "steal the boat"I had already completed before.

I'm loving the game, but this is fucking annoying. I've already reloaded a previous save file twice and got the same problem every time. Now, I'm going on with the main missions and I'll avoid finishing that side quest until it's fixed, which hopefully is soon, since many people are having exactly the same problem.

Rellik

I've got the boat glitch too.

Done 2 side missions for the Haitians. When I talk to Emmanuel, game says I'm done and one of my objectives is to get more rackets. After a while, I get the boat icon again, exactly in the same place I had already cleared out. I go there and there are no enemies and no boat. I reload the game and sometimes the boat sign spawns on the ground, and other times in different locations. My objective changes from "get more rackets" to the same objective "steal the boat"I had already completed before.

I'm loving the game, but this is fucking annoying. I've already reloaded a previous save file twice and got the same problem every time. Now, I'm going on with the main missions and I'll avoid finishing that side quest until it's fixed, which hopefully is soon, since many people are having exactly the same problem.

It maxes out after 2. It tells you that after the 2nd mission. There is no more to do until you advance the story. It's meant to be like that but just a piss poor job of explaining it and shouldn't leave the quest open.

Reule

There is a trophy for flipping 16 racket bosses but because I forgot to tap a junction box, I had no choice and killed one. Am I screwed or are there more than 16?

sym30l1c

It maxes out after 2. It tells you that after the 2nd mission. There is no more to do until you advance the story. It's meant to be like that but just a piss poor job of explaining it and shouldn't leave the quest open.

I noticed the first time it maxes out, but what I find annoying is that the boat spawns in different locations and sometimes even on the ground, which makes me doubt whether it's something I'll unlock alter or just a real bug...this along with the fact that the objective reverts to the same objective I had before I'd maxed out the rackets.

Just got past the intro, about to face the first racket boss. Just a few things:

1) The soundtrack is phenomenal. Probably the best in-game track selection since Vice City. Any game that can let you rampage through the streets to The Supremes can't be all bad.

2) So far the acting and writing are a cut above, too. The conclusion to that intro hits pretty hard, even if you see it coming from a mile away.

3) I adore how the cars handle? Even with just the "normal" handling, all of the cars have a real weight to them. Like, the truck in the first mission has a ton of momentum to it, and you have to slam those brakes hard to get it to stop if you're at speed.

4) Boy howdy, that AI, though.

ekim

Should I bite when I'm expecting a story driven game like M2 but more open but still having an amazing atmosphere? Is the Xbox version somehow hampered by small numbers of NPCs and cars?

Nameless

What? The shooting is the 2nd best part of this game after the story.

What issue do people have with stealth? I have no problem sneaking around ganking guys.

The act of shooting your gun and the ways enemies react to being shot are great. That's not my issue. It's that the A.I. is too dumb, awkward, and limited to make encounters, loud or quiet, interesting.

Also not a fan of the reticle size and how it gradually picks up speed as you move it(though heavier weapons handle a little better).

Triteon

I keep going back and forth on this game. I really liked the start then i got bored while taking the second area. I got drawn back in when taking over the waste disposal area and handing it off.

Nyx

Almost done claiming a 5th district and still having fun, I just play 45-60 minute sessions and then do something else.

Been playing Fallout 4 too and it made me wonder why we don't have an open world RPG with a mafia/gangster setting?

Rellik

I.R.A. Don't Ask just glitched on me. The 2nd car isn't marked so I can't find it.

Edit: I just randomly saw it parked on a street lol

brawly

For those far into the game how has the story been? (No spoilers please)

I'm halfway through by the looks of things. There's not much of a story past the opening. It's literally what you think it is: you go after t
he 9 underlings of Marcano by taking over 9 territories
to get to him. You have your chats with Donovan, get to see a bit more of the priest babbling on and of that old white guy talking how it all went down. There's no surprises or turns so far.

It's meant to be like that but just a piss poor job of explaining it and shouldn't leave the quest open.

It's not meant to be like that at all. It's glitched.
When you've done a few of Diaz's missions it tells you in bold black letters that all rackets are at max at to come back later. Which is clear as it can be.

The confusion with Emmanuel is that it only sometimes tell you to come back later and other times the mission is open.

sym30l1c

It's not meant to be like that at all. It's glitched.
When you've done a few of Diaz's missions it tells you in bold black letters that all rackets are at max at to come back later. Which is clear as it can be.

The confusion with Emmanuel is that it only sometimes tell you to come back later and other times the mission is open.

Exactly.

The question is: when I unlock and assign more rackets to the Haitians, does this solve the problem? I mean, does the boat actually spawn and everything goes back to normal or does it stay glitched?

TheKeyPit

Banned
m3vsbav.gif

Rellik

I'm halfway through by the looks of things. There's not much of a story past the opening. It's literally what you think it is: you go after t
he 9 underlings of Marcano by taking over 9 territories
to get to him. You have your chats with Donovan, get to see a bit more of the priest babbling on and of that old white guy talking how it all went down. There's no surprises or turns so far.

There's some minor stuff in Vito's side missions for people who played Mafia II as well.

Truant

I really liked the intro up until you start the open world proper. However, the bugs and performance is seriously getting to me. I'm going to put this on hold until I'm done with Gears. Hopefully they'll have a patch or two out by then.

The devs made some bullshit nonsense about showing the dark side of America and shining a light on real racism...but then made all the Irish family and gang members wear green outfits like they're on a box Lucky Charms. It's painful how stereotypical these characters are, it's painful at times.

rdytoroll

Fuck no, my minimap is bugged. Indoors it's normal but as soon as I go outdoors everything is zoomed in like crazy, which causes me to miss items. Anyone else with this problem?

this only happens after the latest patch

RedStep

Enjoying the game so far, but most of my glitches have been of the funny rather than game-breaking kind...

This chair is clearly struggling with existing in multiple dimensions at the same time
5xRtSu1.gif

No idea why the world suddenly turned into a fiery hellscape... I think that bitch put some acid in my drink.
9aS5K4R.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nolan North being casted as a
white supremacist saying the N word
has me a bit shook.

Rellik

The
crane falling down on the construction site
making that area fresh was pretty cool. I wish all the repeated areas were like that.

The devs made some bullshit nonsense about showing the dark side of America and shining a light on real racism...but then made all the Irish family and gang members wear green outfits like they're on a box Lucky Charms. It's painful how stereotypical these characters are, it's painful at times.
No surprise there really.

Was walking around downtown, hunting circuit boards, weapons holstered.

Hear dispatch "negro loitering around downtown".

Cops show up, shoot on sight.

First i was all "wtf is this bullshit", then... had to admit that it made sense.

game might be buggy, but god damn if it doesnt have its moments

dealer-

Yup all the Oireland tropes are in there - drunk, references to the IRA, explosives expert, green clothing.

I randomly got charged for Mafia III by Sony. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, will I be able to get a refund? I never placed an order and I've never even played any of the Mafia games

dealer-

How's the PS4 version of the game? Also what's the install size for the game? I have a physical copy.

Fine for me, no major glitches or crashing. Install is 45GB I think, takes longer than most installs so you might have to wait 30-45 minutes before starting.

B00TE

Picked up the deluxe edition on PS4 as an impulse buy, it's pretty alright. The lack of polish really hurts, the lighting and other graphical issues really hurt the immersion for me. That being said, the story presentation is pretty fantastic, at least early on. Really does seem to taper off once the game gets going full swing, which kinda sucks. The stealth is laughably bad, but the actual combat is a lot of fun. Usually I much prefer to sneak my way through missions, but it's just a lot better for the game overall if you go in guns blazing. The gunplay is punchy and sound effects are ace, as are the animations. Soundtrack is top notch.

Kinda regret this as an impulse buy (especially the deluxe edition, oof), so I may just end up blazing through the rest of this and trading it in, the various bugs and oddities really hold it back from being great, imo. The usual open world jank is, for the most part, fine by me, but the crashes and odd graphical issues just absolutely kill it for me. The gameplay loop is fine for me, and I actually enjoy it greatly in small spurts (I've been loading the game up and play through one of the 'helping lieutenants' parts, then shut it off). Not totally disappointed by it, but I do feel let down quite a bit.

Shady859

This game is so weird....
It shouldn't let you start on C until A & B are done...

I'm pretty sure I've beat the game BUT I skipped a few main story missions along the way simply because other story missions were closer on the map. Now i'm having to go back and do these and the cut scenes keeps talking about how i'm leading up to discovering how to get to guys I've already killed.

Powered through it in 2 days Redbox rental: $1.75 after coupon and free rental code. I had nothing else to do this weekend, it's worth playing but I wouldn't recommend anywhere near full price.

Rellik

Exactly.

The question is: when I unlock and assign more rackets to the Haitians, does this solve the problem? I mean, does the boat actually spawn and everything goes back to normal or does it stay glitched?

I just went a little further in the main story and it's now changed that side mission to "Rackets at max earn" so it will figure itself out.

It also shows in Intel as Completed 2/2.

There is a trophy for flipping 16 racket bosses but because I forgot to tap a junction box, I had no choice and killed one. Am I screwed or are there more than 16?
Same thing happened to me...I think we're screwed.

And I really don't want to go through this game again...well maybe I'll plow through it.

edit: I'm doing all the side missions and collecting all the collectibles but maybe I can plow through the story missions on a 2nd playthrough.

btw is there a way to skip cutscenes, the stupid crew arriving to the racket scene is pretty bland.

SJRB

Gold Member
There's something really satisfying about taking out a whole room of people with the silenced pistol.

When does that stuff unlock anyway?

It says I need to do a favor for Vito but the game never explains what the hell that even means. I saved his life and brought his business back from the dead, surely that should be more than enough to give me a suppressed weapon.

Adnor

Banned
Question about distributing rackets and districts. Can I give a racket to, say, Vito, but then give the district to Cassandra? That would give me Vito's lieutenant smuggle sidequest for the racket and Cassandra's favour sidequest for the district? Or if I give a racket to someone I also give them the district when I finish it?

TheKeyPit

Banned
There's something really satisfying about taking out a whole room of people with the silenced pistol.

When does that stuff unlock anyway?

It says I need to do a favor for Vito but the game never explains what the hell that even means. I saved his life and brought his business back from the dead, surely that should be more than enough to give me a suppressed weapon.

You have to assign one or two additional rackets to Vito.

Rellik

Question about distributing rackets and districts. Can I give a racket to, say, Vito, but then give the district to Cassandra? That would give me Vito's lieutenant smuggle sidequest for the racket and Cassandra's favour sidequest for the district? Or if I give a racket to someone I also give them the district when I finish it?

Whoever has the district gets all the rackets too.

Top Bottom