• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Tainted

I definitely don't care about that, just wanna recruit bosses

It is also useful for side missions if you need enemy Intel for a particular area where they happen to be... But if you are just doing the main missions doing as you say should be enough.

I think doing all the wiretaps is purely for the completionists

I really wish they had a car indicator for where you last got out of your vehicle. It'll be irrelevant when I get the covert car theft perk but it's still annoying.

SJRB

Gold Member
The only actual benefit I see from the wiretaps is that the enemies in the tapped area appear on your radar and you can see them with your batvision. Makes infiltrating pretty much any location a cakewalk.

I'm still not sure why I should keep racket bosses alive, aside from a small difference in payout at the end of the racket takeover.

hbkdx12

The only actual benefit I see from the wiretaps is that the enemies in the tapped area appear on your radar and you can see them with your batvision. Makes infiltrating pretty much any location a cakewalk.

I'm still not sure why I should keep racket bosses alive, aside from a small difference in payout at the end of the racket takeover.

There's a perk that does this lol

Wiretaps have to have been solely thought up for the collectibles but then tied it to recruiting bosses and spotting enemies to make it seem more relevant

Tovarisc

Wiretaps have to have been solely thought up for the collectibles but then tied it to recruiting bosses and spotting enemies to make it seem more relevant

Which makes absolutely no sense when considering time period. Mobsters don't have cellphones in their pockets that you could track. Even Lincoln is dragging huge brick sized radio in his pockets.

hbkdx12

Which makes absolutely no sense when considering time period. Mobsters don't have cellphones in their pockets that you could track. Even Lincoln is dragging huge brick sized radio in his pockets.

It makes zero sense for spotting purposes but i understand it as far as recruiting bosses. The idea is that you're listening to their conversations and blackmailing them into working for you. Like a lot of other things, the game does mentions this but doesn't make it as pronounced as it could

Going to have to set this game aside until the patches come out. The clipping issues and funky weird cloud shadows are too irritating to deal with.

kobu

Why am I no longer getting an option to save these guys? Lincoln just kills them without giving me a choice.

Tovarisc

Gotta wiretap the area. For every district...

27 wiretap parts isn't that much tho. If doing bare minimum and only tapping for racket boss recruitment.

Edit: Okay, my math sucks. Every district has 2 rackets so you need double that. I wonder how I have never ran out of parts as I never hunted for them....

Tainted

not sure how I missed this bit of information

I think the game inundates the player with alot of information over a small time period regarding the mechanics of how all the territorial stuff works...it's easy to miss vital pieces of info or just plain forget about things early in the game.

I still don't know why for example why I am receiving kickback from a couple of locations and not others..and I only just learnt from reading this thread I actually have to drive over and pick up that kickback cash from time to time.

Jocund

How much are you guys wiretapping? I usually only do the one nearest to a mission with a capturable underboss and it works out fine.

hbkdx12

How much are you guys wiretapping? I usually only do the one nearest to a mission with a capturable underboss and it works out fine.

I actually just finished wiretapping the whole city. (I realize a lot of it isn't necessary) Thankfully there's more fuses than you'll ever need but i'm glad to be done with it.

ALL OF THEM. As soon as they appear. I don't bother with all the collectibles, just enough fuses to keep up a stockpile and the Playboys, of course. I'll grab the other stuff if it's not too far out of my way.

Gilzor

I'm really sorry if this has been answered already, but how do I enable getting more rackets? The game is telling me to assign someone to a district... and I have no idea how too...

Tovarisc

I'm really sorry if this has been answered already, but how do I enable getting more rackets? The game is telling me to assign someone to a district... and I have no idea how too...

Each district has set amount of rackets. In order to give more rackets to e.g. Vito you need take over new district of city and give those rackets and district to him.

Gilzor

Each district has set amount of rackets. In order to give more rackets to e.g. Vito you need take over new district of city and give those rackets and district to him.

Thanks! And is that just a case of going into districts looking for places/people to take over?

Tovarisc

Thanks! And is that just a case of going into districts looking for places/people to take over?

First 3 districts you take over are for loyal sub-bosses [Cassandra, Vito and.. umm.. Irish dude] and can't be assigned to anyone else than to boss who operates in X district. After that game gives you more districts to take over and those you can assign to any boss you want.

So I'm not super far but if I'm reading right, things are a bit repetative and then more varied missions open up? Is that right, and how far into the game is that?

hbkdx12

So I'm not super far but if I'm reading right, things are a bit repetative and then more varied missions open up? Is that right, and how far into the game is that?

There's some variation but not a ton to get your hopes up. A lot of "go here, steal this thing, drive it back" plus it's all gated by how many districts and rackets you own.

DukeBobby

Really, Mafia 3, really?

(Downtown area spoilers)
Donovan tells you that Tony Derazio is holed up in the penthouse suite of the Royal Hotel, so Lincoln comes up with a brilliant idea to flush him out: Take over the rackets in the area. So, you do that and Tony comes out of the hotel for a brief cutscene, only to return to the hotel again.

The next mission: Infiltrate the hotel and take out Tony.

Jesus, why not just let me skip the tedious bullshit and do that from the fucking start.

There's some variation but not a ton to get your hopes up. A lot of "go here, steal this thing, drive it back" plus it's all gated by how many districts and rackets you own.

I'm not too concerned with burn out as I really enjoyed mad max also so, I think as long as the story keeps up I'll be good. The combat is insanely fun for me.

hbkdx12

Really, Mafia 3, really?

(Downtown area spoilers)
Donovan tells you that Tony Derazio is holed up in the penthouse suite of the Royal Hotel, so Lincoln comes up with a brilliant idea to flush him out: Take over the rackets in the area. So, you do that and Tony comes out of the hotel for a brief cutscene, only to return to the hotel again.

The next mission: Infiltrate the hotel and take out Tony.

Jesus, why not just let me skip the tedious bullshit and do that from the fucking start.

Because you didn't know the code to the elevator

Tovarisc

I'm not too concerned with burn out as I really enjoyed mad max also so, I think as long as the story keeps up I'll be good. The combat is insanely fun for me.

Model for taking down rackets will be pretty much same through whole game with few unique objectives here and there. French Ward and Frisco Fields were best districts imo when it came to busting rackets. Variety comes from hauling materials to your sub-bosses and doing favors for them. Favors basically tell small story related to boss for whom you are doing favors.

Story does lose some momentum after prologue, but still delivers very good moments and storytelling!

Model for taking down rackets will be pretty much same through whole game with few unique objectives here and there. French Ward and Frisco Fields were best districts imo when it came to busting rackets. Variety comes from hauling materials to your sub-bosses and doing favors for them. Favors basically tell small story related to boss for whom you are doing favors.

Story does lose some momentum after prologue, but still delivers very good moments and storytelling!

Sweet sounds good to me!

Randdalf

I feel like this game is pretty average so far. Considering it's produced by the same company, lord knows why they didn't just get the tech from GTA V and use that. I've heard R* are notorious for having spaghetti codebases, but even so...

Rellik

It got even better for me when I unlocked the silenced weapons.

I just did a side mission where you have to steal a slow Police truck. That was hell escaping the cops with all my tires blown. I obviously couldnt use my usual tactics of leaving the car and running. In the end I used the train track.

pa22word

I think this game is really good proof to the concept that you really only need to play a few open world games a generation. They're all so stagnant and derivative now that if you've played one then you've mostly played them all.

The last open world crime game I really put any time into was Sleeping Dogs, so this kind of fell at the right time for me to enjoy it enough that the repetition doesn't drive me insane, but if I'd played a ton of GTAV, Watch Dogs, Infamous SS, Ass Creed's yearly copypasta, etc I'd probably be raging at the game.

DukeBobby

Because you didn't know the code to the elevator

I'm sure the developers could have come up with a better way to make Lincoln learn of such a basic piece of information.

But, of course they couldn't divert from the brilliant mission structure they had in place.

I think this game is really good proof to the concept that you really only need to play a few open world games a generation. They're all so stagnant and derivative now that if you've played one then you've mostly played them all.

The last open world crime game I really put any time into was Sleeping Dogs, so this kind of fell at the right time for me to enjoy it enough that the repetition doesn't drive me insane, but if I'd played a ton of GTAV, Watch Dogs, Infamous SS, Ass Creed's yearly copypasta, etc I'd probably be raging at the game.

I play almost all of em because I love the genre and have a soft spot for collectathons, but yeah the stagnation of game structure and mission design is a constant source of frustration. Even with GTAV where you can see every dollar they spent on the screen even in side missions like the Strangers & Freaks, those production values are wasted on limp storytelling and boring scenarios (as well as bad combat mechanics). There's no open world game that has gotten it all the way right.

The Witcher 3 made some big strides though. There's an absurd amount of dialogue in that game that gives life to many of the lower tier missions which don't actually have a lot going on. Doesn't hurt that killing beasts is sort of a day job for Geralt, and it allows the game to go on tangents with lots of people from all over the map. I don't even think The Witcher 3 needs a main story thread to be successful, just lots of episodic arcs.

TBH, I'm not too bothered that the game has received average scores so far. I would have loved for it to be higher but it could have been worse, lol. Some of my favorite games were scored as average. I'm just glad that the comments of the story were scored well. Plus, repetitiveness in a lengthy game is a given. The trick that only a few companies have master is masking the repetitiveness as refreshing.

I just god damn love this game.

And holy shit unlocked the silenced pistol and increased pistol accuracy.

I am basically this.

Movies_Films_T_The_Terminator_010629_-12.jpg

Is the majority of glitches on the pc version? I've only seen some minor clipping issues so far on ps4 and a car that wouldn't start till I re entered.

Top Bottom