• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

I've put close to ten hours into it so far, but it still feels like there's a ways to go. I have killed two or three targets, and am working on the first two racket boss.

Note that I'm trying to do almost everything I can.

- Can be quite fun, but isn't always.

- Looks nice sometimes, but very muddy and dated at others. Nighttime especially. Some cutscenes lack definition.

- Mafia II was better, but I'm enjoying this.

- It's neat that it turns your car around, or parks it.

- The weed shipment I was supposed to pick up in the water keeps getting stuck in the sky.

- One crash so far.

Really, Mafia 3, really?

(Downtown area spoilers)
Donovan tells you that Tony Derazio is holed up in the penthouse suite of the Royal Hotel, so Lincoln comes up with a brilliant idea to flush him out: Take over the rackets in the area. So, you do that and Tony comes out of the hotel for a brief cutscene, only to return to the hotel again.

The next mission: Infiltrate the hotel and take out Tony.

Jesus, why not just let me skip the tedious bullshit and do that from the fucking start.

The missions give you the security codes to access the elevator etc. You can't just walk through 30 floors of civilians and hostiles, that's the point.

DukeBobby

The missions give you the security codes to access the elevator etc. You can't just walk through 30 floors of civilians and hostiles, that's the point.

There's a similar mission in Mafia 2 where
Vito and Joe make their way through a hotel disguised as window washers

They didn't need any damn codes. Where's that level of inventiveness here? Also, I'm sure that
Donovan, the guy who can find out information about any guy in the criminal underworld, could find out about some silly elevator code

All I'm saying is that there's several ways the mission could have taken place without needing to do all of the tedious busywork beforehand.

Elios83

I'm progressing through the game and I've now conquered three districts and the relative allies.
Unfortunately I can confirm that at this point the whole thing is getting really repetitive.
It's basically like the first Assassin's Creed or Far Cry or Watch Dogs. Basically Ubisoft open world design philosophy :p
The activities are not bad per se, actually they can be quite fun, but overall you're doing the same things over and over to unlock a more interesting and fun main story mission.
There are many interesting places in the city but you basically can't do anything besides fighting gangs and taking down rackets.
Many things are well done, I like how your allies can support you on the fly with different things and overall the combat is well done and fun.
The story is still well done and interesting although compared to the initial first hours it is penalized by the repetitive gameplay structure as well. They constantly introduce useless characters to provide you with targets for the side activities.
Overall I think it's a decent game, 7.5 seems to be a fair score. It's not a masterpiece but it's not bad either. The game could have been much more though, so it's a shame.

I sold it. Yeah, after 13 hours...this is just boring. I'm pretty sure they changed the developement team and game design after the intro (2-3 hours) because it felt like a true successor to Mafia 2 at first.
So sad. Atmosphere, Soundtrack and Cutscenes are amazing. The actual game is awful. Searching for playboys is the best part of the game.

pa22word

lol hanger 13 is located in navato, right?

Elevator code being 0451 can not just be a coincidence. Some definite Bioshock 2 blood running in that studio.

Oynox

Finished it. Actually did not expected that you have such big choice to make in the end. It is like you make the story if the game.

turned my back on the city and drove away.

story went perfectly with Vito ruling over new Bordeaux.

Selling this game now. It fun entertaining but definitely not worth the 135 buck collector's edition which is a pity. Best part about it are those collectibles, love those authentic playboys and thanks to that I got to know Vargas. Really dig those pictures they are somewhat aesthetic.

Finished it. Actually did not expected that you have such big choice to make in the end. It is like you make the story if the game.

Selling this game now. It fun entertaining but definitely not worth the 135 buck collector's edition which is a pity. Best part about it are those collectibles, love those authentic playboys and thanks to that I got to know Vargas. Really dig those pictures they are somewhat aesthetic.

How long did it take you? I've played for a while, but it doesn't feel like I've put a dent into it.

I took out the guy at the theme park, then started the next group of rackets. I've got the three underbosses hired, and am working on the Irishman's right now, after doing Vito's and grabbing the guy in the street as he tried to take off.

pa22word

So vito's truck missions aren't spawning for me anymore even though I just gave him more territory. Do I have to do another story mission for them to spawn? I already maxed out his hitman gig as far as I can go thus far.

Elios83

How long does it take to finish the game?
After you recruit
Cassandra, Vito and Burke
does the formula change? Are there more main story missions?
Because doing the same things I've done for the first three districts for the rest of the city again would be tedious.

Tovarisc

Is the majority of glitches on the pc version? I've only seen some minor clipping issues so far on ps4 and a car that wouldn't start till I re entered.

Game isn't that glitchy on PC either, mostly your usual open world jankiness.

It says steal the boat......but there is no boat there lol wtf!!

Your rackets are max income so you can't increase them further hence no boat spawn.

-------------------------------------------

Beat the game. If Steam is to be believed I put ~40h into the game. I did all rackets and all racket objectives, maxed out all racket income and did all sub-boss favors. I didn't hunt down all collectibles, couldn't care less tbh.

Game definitely loses a lot momentum after prologue is over, prologue is off the hook and gives story sooo much momentum. When looking at story segments from prologue to documentary style cutscenes to capo kills there is very specific style of telling story and thought out story to tell. Where it stumbles and breaks down somewhat is that game is open world with open world approach to progression causing quite large caps between story segments. Would have preferred if they used city as backdrop like Mafia 2 did, but Mafia community / fans demanded this kind open world stuff that Mafia 3 has so here we are.

Doing favors to sub-bosses is worth it so everyone should do them! You do some basic missions for them, but they are used as tool to tell personal stories related to each of your sub-bosses. Cassandra favors resulted in some cool story, my favorite out of all three.

Gameplay loop was very basic like I expected it to be and repeated through whole game like I expected. How good combat feels in Mafia 3 made it okay and didn't feel like chore. Audio and visual feedback when shooting and stabbing mobster is meaty and graphic. Suppressed shot, sound of bullet hitting head, splatter across the wall and mobster drops like sag of rocks. That said I do hope devs would have went extra mile and varied it up more.

French Ward and Frisco Fields have some racket and capo stuff that is quite unique, but requires you to sneak around so you get to see and hear it. Worth it, in kinda depressing way, so try sneaking those areas.

Ending felt very fitting and tied up story nicely, imo.

Donovan is unhinged dude, and I love it. Maybe best character in the game.

There is cutscene mid credits.
mafia3_2016_10_10_03_ajqfh.png

Oynox

How long did it take you? I've played for a while, but it doesn't feel like I've put a dent into it.

I took out the guy at the theme park, then started the next group of rackets. I've got the three underbosses hired, and am working on the Irishman's right now, after doing Vito's and grabbing the guy in the street as he tried to take off.

You still got more than two thirds before you I think.

How long does it take to finish the game?
After you recruit
Cassandra, Vito and Burke
does the formula change? Are there more main story missions?
Because doing the same things I've done for the first three districts for the rest of the city again would be tedious.

The formula does not change at all. To exaggerate, it feels a bit like the first Assassin's Creed. It is always the same. Talk to your information guy, he assigns you tasks, you do them to disturb the underbosses goons, you take them out, underboss shows up to take you out, you kill him. You do that a total of 9 times (if you got your three underbosses already, only 6 left). Calculate with that. The final chapter of the game does not take too long.

Cannot say for sure how long I really played since stupid Xbox does not show the invested time anymore, had turned trueachievements of and the game does not offer an ingame statistics screen. Been playing since Friday and since I have got literally nothing to do I played like the whole days and nights sometimes until 4/5 am in the morning. Would say like 20~30 hours?

It really is sad that Hangar 13 did not achieve their goal at all, the open world is as empty as it was in Mafia 2 if it is not even worse. They tried to put interesting things in it but those consist out of repetitive "side" missions you need to proceed and which vanish after you progressed. The only thing left then are all those collectibles of which 70% are useless wiretaps need to uncover the map and the next collectibles. Picked up everything in one district, nothing left to do at all. Nada, only empty restaurants.

I definitely prefered Mafia 2's pseudo open world + the movie like story over this one...

Elios83

You still got more than two thirds before you I think.

The formula does not change at all. To exaggerate, it feels a bit like the first Assassin's Creed. It is always the same. Talk to your information guy, he assigns you tasks, you do them to disturb the underbosses goons, you take them out, underboss shows up to take you out, you kill him. You do that a total of 9 times (if you got your three underbosses already, only 6 left). Calculate with that. The final chapter of the game does not take too long.

Cannot say for sure how long I really played since stupid Xbox does not show the invested time anymore, had turned trueachievements of and the game does not offer an ingame statistics screen. Been playing since Friday and since I have got literally nothing to do I played like the whole days and nights sometimes until 4/5 am in the morning. Would say like 20~30 hours?

It really is sad that Hangar 13 did not achieve their goal at all, the open world is as empty as it was in Mafia 2 if it is not even worse. They tried to put interesting things in it but those consist out of repetitive "side" missions you need to proceed and which vanish after you progressed. The only thing left then are all those collectibles of which 70% are useless wiretaps need to uncover the map and the next collectibles. Picked up everything in one district, nothing left to do at all. Nada, only empty restaurants.

I definitely prefered Mafia 2's pseudo open world + the movie like story over this one...

Thank you! And yeah I made the comparison with the first Assassin's Creed myself based just on the first three districts....
Point is that for the time Assassin's Creed while being repetitive also introduced a really innovative parkour exploration system and an incredibly immersive setting plus killing people as an assassin was new and cool, while this game has just a pretty tired open world formula going for it.
Yeah it's a shame because there are still many positives and overall I don't think that it's a bad game, but doing the same things for 9 districts......emmm... I see myself dropping it to play Tomb Raider on tuesday unfortunately.

hbkdx12

Anyone know why some of the paid perks on the weapon wheel cost different amounts sometimes?
As far as i know they're usually $3000 if you don't have any markers.

One time the police bribe was only $1500. I assumed that maybe it was because i was in a district owned by burke but i didn't actually look into it at the time

Now im out doing a moonshine run and im in the bayou and called for the hit squad and it cost me $5000 and i'm not sure why

Edi:

I think it goes up the more you use it because my operator perk i don't really use and it only cost me 1000. but i've certainly used the hit squad quite a bit

ViciousDS

Banned
Ah, so basically the game should say I'm at max income for rackets but instead gives me the mission. I know the other bosses it actually says to expand but for Emmanul it doesn't say that.

For alma it actually says all rackets at max

For Emmanuel though it actually gives marker, location and mission description. I'm guessing it's not supposed to say that but instead say max rackets

heringer

I admit I cancelled my refund. The crashes stopped and I'm having fun with it.

This is pretty much The Godfather. I think that game gives a good idea if someone can enjoy this or not. I can endure the repetion when the fundamentals are really fun, and they definitely are in Mafia 3. Believe it or not but I enjoy the shooting here even more than in Max Payne 3, which has excellent shooting mechanics too.

Also, the cutscenes are very impressive. Even more impressive for being real time (I thought they were FMV, but apparently they are not).

And thank God for Reshade. Dare I say the game even looks good with the right settings. It looks like a blurry mess without it.

Tainted

Another nice little detail ... if you get into the passenger seat trying to jack a car when someone is driving, instead of the driver jumping out screaming like they do in GTA, they actually stay in the car and fight you for control of the wheel.

Not sure how long they do it for, I just bailed out and decided to jack a parked car instead :)

Also unsure if all drivers do that, only tested it once.

hollomat

Banned

Yup. The only way to get to the top was to do the exact same thing you've been doing nonstop since the start of the game.

Game is extremely disappointing. If you've played 15iks of the game you've played the entire game.

pa22word

Another nice little detail ... if you get into the passenger seat trying to jack a car when someone is driving, instead of the driver jumping out screaming like they do in GTA, they actually stay in the car and fight you for control of the wheel.

Not sure how long they do it for, I just bailed out and decided to jack a parked car instead :)

Also unsure if all drivers do that, only tested it once.
Game has tons of little small details like that, that I expect only like 1% of players will ever see and I kind of love the game for it. For instance I was doing a scare drive mission once with an informant who jumped into a car, and I take off, do my thing, etc. same thing i've done a couple times now when...

Suddenly when I hit 105MPH dude just fucking bails the fuck out of the car like a torpedo and rams into an oncoming truck while saying something like "hope you have good insurance, prick".

me:

not-mad-amazed.gif

Tainted

Game has tons of little small details like that, that I expect only like 1% of players will ever see and I kind of love the game for it. For instance I was doing a scare drive mission once with an informant who jumped into a car, and I take off, do my thing, etc. same thing i've done a couple times now when...

Suddenly when I hit 105MPH dude just fucking bails the fuck out of the car like a torpedo and rams into an oncoming truck while saying something like "hope you have good insurance, prick".

me:

not-mad-amazed.gif

I concur....that is amazing. It's a shame there are so many good aspects to this game that (like you say) many will not find or they get overshadowed by everything else.

Personally the only issues I have so far is with the mission structure as it is starting to feel a bit grindy.....but the tech issues haven't bothered my in the slightest. I'm happy scaling the gfx quality down a bit if it isn't running too well, this is just 2nd nature for me in most games anyway.

I think it's a bit sad that most of the conversation around the game is about the performance and graphics quality and less about the game itself (at least for the PC crowd)

hbkdx12

Just got done killing (District underboss spoiler)
Tommy Marcano

Man, i don't know if im just lucky in the order im taking over these districts but each one was been much better than the last.

Walking through a compound/building going room to room, floor to floor while slowly walking with a brandished shotgun is like my favorite thing to do. Its the ultimate terminator/punisher feeling. And i'm not a big shotgun guy in games most of the time but they're so awesome here and work wonderfully with Lincolns animations.

any point to doing the purple side missions or are they pointless busywork
All the side missions are busywork to get your racquets more money. All of them are "go here, steal this thing, bring it back"

Adnor

Banned
List of best characters so far:

1) Donovan
2) Vito
3) Spoiler for a boss
Enzo, the only intelligent person who said "Fuck it, let me grab my coat and I'll go in peace

Last place) Thomas Burke, fuck him, he's a prick
who hates his daughter, or at least is "dissapointed" in her because she's lesbian

hbkdx12

Nope. You get to do some murderin' too.

Edit: If people are fans of Mafia 2 they should see the Vito side mission through.

yeah true

I wish they were more inventive with the favors as far as what you need to do considering it's meant to flesh out the characters a bit

Krakn3Dfx

14 hours in and still loving it.The look of the world, the music, the characters, the story, it all pulls up what would otherwise be a pretty repetitive mission structure.

TheKeyPit

Banned
27 wiretap parts isn't that much tho. If doing bare minimum and only tapping for racket boss recruitment.

Edit: Okay, my math sucks. Every district has 2 rackets so you need double that. I wonder how I have never ran out of parts as I never hunted for them....

I actually just finished wiretapping the whole city. (I realize a lot of it isn't necessary) Thankfully there's more fuses than you'll ever need but i'm glad to be done with it.

The scrap is laid out in a way that you can pick it up along your way and don't really have to search for it.

I just god damn love this game.

And holy shit unlocked the silenced pistol and increased pistol accuracy.

A mix of silently popping heads and doing silent takedowns is the best way for going stealthy.

--------

How much does assigning districts influence the story?

Jocund

I'm liking the game more as I play it. Maybe even love. The writing is consistently excellent, and the missions that cap off territories are great. I figured I'd be close to burned out by now, but the gunplay/animation is so solid that it makes killing dudes reliably satisfying. Game looks pretty when the lighting isn't fucked, too.

Oh, and shooting from the hip is great in this game. It's something about the way Lincoln handles the firearms, swinging them around and whatnot. It looks so cool.

hbkdx12

Do retaliation squads only show up when your doing the delivery side missions? Because it seems like that's the only time i ever encounter them

TheKeyPit

Banned
Do retaliation squads only show up when your doing the delivery side missions? Because it seems like that's the only time i ever encounter them

Looks like it and it's annoying. Nothing worse than driving a slow truck and getting attacked by that hit squad.

hbkdx12

Looks like it and it's annoying. Nothing worse than driving a slow truck and getting attacked by that hit squad.

seriously

I just unlocked the Strommer.
Thanks burke
I may need to abandon my terminator/punisher shotgun combo
atleast until i get that tactical shotgun from cassandra

peakish

A downside to this open world structure is the lack of an actual home you're driving to and from each mission. I'm not getting a feel for New Bordeaux since I'm always driving directly from one mission to the next. In the previous games I learned how to travel through the city since I started out and went back to the same place after every mission which was satisfying to me, although I get that some people thought of it as filler.

In a way it makes sense that Lincoln doesn't have a lot of downtime since he's set on revenge but as a player I feel like the city blends together a bit without this support.

E: Late on this but the game feels so much better after the 60 fps patch.

Moreche

Just returned mine to Amazon so I'll pick it up again after it's on sale with a few patches on PS4.
Console gaming is really starting to push my patience as I'm getting extremely annoyed with games releasing needing updates and full of glitches. I realise they're more complex nowadays but I think I'll pick games up when they're either a few months old and hopefully fixed or when game of the year/ complete editions are released.

Top Bottom