• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

Braag

You've maxed it out. Move on with other missions.

If you're still unsure then go check intel and it should say Completed 2/2.

yeah it says 2/2 but for some reason the mission icon in still there on the map so I thought I could do more missions for him.

Your rackets with Cassandra are at maximum income. Game doesn't generate new weed runs until you get more rackets for her to run.

Oh, I see.

Merino

So maybe 10 hours in, going to give some impressions of my own that will probably echo what's already been said:

- Atmosphere, soundtrack, story, world building is all very great and keeps pulling me back in
- Game seems very repetitive so far with it's missions and tasks
- More so it seems incredibly repetitive in the way it is all setup. There is always a kill-corridor towards a boss, there are always two guys talking to each other while I'm hiding out stealthy nearby then when they finish talking one guy walks away and I can stealth finish both of them. Rinse and fricking repeat in the next session.
- Junkboxes and collectibles. I guess it is an open world game and the trope has been established that this stuff belongs in those kind of games but it is unoriginal, uninspiring and I don't give a shit about stopping every corner to go find a junkbox or magazine cover.
- The whole police simulation is interesting but doesn't take it far enough. When I commit a crime it is far to easy to just speed away and avoid cops. They probably should have made the blue circle a bit larger. Would like the seek-and-hide mechanics to be more evolved so it actually feels like the cops are a danger that you have to carefully circumvent (maybe it's an idea for a Drive like videogame where the hide-and-seek mechanics of avoiding cops is been taken to the absolute extremes).
- Kinda wish I could still turn on an option for traffic violations and petty crimes type stuff.

Tovarisc

yeah it says 2/2 but for some reason the mission icon in still there on the map so I thought I could do more missions for him.

Oh, I see.

Game is bad at communicating that to the player. Information about rackets being at max income and you needing to get more rackets gets shown so fast and badly you can miss out on it.

Basically adopt this rule of thumb: Is there new rackets that boss X runs? If yes do 2x Y runs [e.g. weed] to get new rackets to maximum income. Once done 2 runs [1 / new racket] ignore weed objectives until new rackets given to X.

Rellik

Game is bad at communicating that to the player. Information about rackets being at max income and you needing to get more rackets gets shown so fast and badly you can miss out on it.

Basically adopt this rule of thumb: Is there new rackets that boss X runs? If yes do 2x Y runs [e.g. weed] to get new rackets to maximum income. Once done 2 runs [1 / new racket] ignore weed objectives until new rackets given to X.

Game is bad at communicating a lot of stuff. I wouldn't have known how to save the racket bosses if it wasn't for this thread. I must have completely missed the part where that was described to me.

vypek

Game is bad at communicating a lot of stuff. I wouldn't have known how to save the racket bosses if it wasn't for this thread. I must have completely missed the part where that was described to me.

Its pretty easy to miss. Its when you go after the boss after the first wiretap. It says something like "Remember when you wiretapped this area? Now you can recruit this guy"

EDIT: And I spent a lot of areas thinking I had to wiretap them before hand but only later realizing that I could just go to the bosses district after they appear and wiretap

Maybe it's just me, and my play style as I don't get to play hours on end, but the format of missions and style doesn't really bother me. Yeah its samey but everything else works for me to bring it all together and I'm also not playing this 2 days straight. I've got other games I'm jumping to and I dont get hours of time to play everything everyday.

Catdaddy

So far I’m enjoying the game – just locked down my first district. I like the story, gameplay is fun and that soundtrack holy shit – best I’ve experienced in a game – they had me when ‘Paint it Black’ fired up… I like the vehicle handling, as an old timer the cars handle like my dad’s 1977 Chevy Monte Carlo that I learned to drive in – also at times the acceleration even seems to have that wonderful carbureted engine lag and hesitation when starting the car.

I have run into a couple of bugs – nothing major – lighting gets wonky at times. Couldn’t start a car during a mission until I got out and reentered, seen a couple of floating parked cars and saw one accident where a truck rear-ended a car and the truck flew up in the air about twenty feet and crashed down in front of the car – cool to watch but obviously not intended. At one point, I was hiding waiting for an enemy to walk toward me to do a corner takedown – took him down and my radar showed another walking my way – corner takedown #2 – continued until I was standing with 5 dead baddies behind me.

Not perfect – and not the best open world I’ve played but far from the worst.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So did anyone besides me (Frisco Fields spoiler)
just start chucking molotovs into the crowd of klansmen
?

I mowed everyone of those mother fuckers down with my assault rifle. Noone escaped and no one lived. What they were doing was horrific and that whole part of the game had me fuming with rage and on a rampage.

I must admit some of the open world jankiness/interactions came into play when doing this part. (More Frisco Fields spoilers)

I rescued people who had been victims of some horrific abuse and captured to be sold off as slaves, and they run out of their trapped room, go outside and someone in a typical pedestrian voice all of a sudden goes '"oh my! it's raining today!" as it happened to be raining

BFIB

So I'm about 5 hrs in and I can already tell this is going to be another game I have to play in shorter bursts so it does not get repetitive quickly.

Its a real shame, because the world that was built is ripe for new ideas to be instituted to the open world genre. Instead, its the same rinse/repeat cycle we've seen time and time again. I'll play through it all the way, but just like most AC games and lately, The Division, shorter 1-2 hr bursts a few times a week will be the only way I can play this.

Can anyone confirm for me that the running tackle is in the game? I can't seem to pull it off, yet I can remember seeing vids of Lincoln pulling this move off?

Tovarisc

Can anyone confirm for me that the running tackle is in the game? I can't seem to pull it off, yet I can remember seeing vids of Lincoln pulling this move off?

If you sprint at the enemy and hit Q he usually tackles enemy down and knocks him out. Or shoves bowie knife through their eyesocket, but you know... what ever gets job done.

vypek

I forgot to mention something that I found odd/funny when I played yesterday. I was taking out a beat crew and after I had taken them out I saw there was a lady tied to a chair. As soon as I remove her bindings, she became a witness and tried to call the police lol

Erban1

It's in and my favorite first move to pull when i go loud, anyone who happens to be around to see it gets temporarily stunned opening the next victim up for a headshot or a brutal execution.

omgkitty

Last night I discovered that on doors you have to break into, you can just hit circle instead of square to kick the door in. Saves a lot of time if you're not trying to be sneaky.

FatalT

Banned
The brutal executions you perform when you stun an enemy (three punches from what I can tell), then hold the punch button to release in the designated area are FUCKING NASTY! I love it, holy shit.

This game could have been something special, as it stands it's pretty good. Enjoying my time with it, but why didn't they think how this mission structure would wear on the game? The story missions have all been great so far.

vypek

Last night I discovered that on doors you have to break into, you can just hit circle instead of square to kick the door in. Saves a lot of time if you're not trying to be sneaky.

Yep, there is even an achievement/trophy based on that. I don't know if the game gives you a popup to teach you that. Not sure why I kicked one in. Maybe there is a small prompt in the corner for it

omgkitty

Yep, there is even an achievement/trophy based on that. I don't know if the game gives you a popup to teach you that. Not sure why I kicked one in. Maybe there is a small prompt in the corner for it

I just did it on accident when I hit the other button by a door.

kobu

if this game had more gta style missions and let the racket stuff be completely optional it would probably be in my top 3 games of the year

Budi

Oh boy, that mission in the (early game location)
amusement park
made me feel I was playing something truly excellent for a while! The atmosphere especially indoors was great. Intense stuff.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Fucks sake. Do all these tedious missions to lure a guy from a hotel only to then have to go into the hotel to get him?

Why not fucking do that in the first place.

Game is so dull, can't play it more than a few hours.

I'm not having any fun here, unlocked the 3 associates, done a few missions for them, how far till it's finished? I want it to end

Every mission is go kill dump ai, please tell me it gets better

People/ign review talked about how excellent the theme park mission was but I didn't even like that

Gaf help

Adnor

Banned
Question about side-quest and district distribution:

If I want to get all of Vito's revenge side-quests, do I need to give him 4 districts, fucking over one of the other lieutenants? Or if I give the districts evenly I'll get everyone's last sidequest?

I'm not having any fun here, unlocked the 3 associates, done a few missions for them, how far till it's finished? I want it to end

Every mission is go kill dump ai, please tell me it gets better

People/ign review talked about how excellent the theme park mission was but I didn't even like that

Gaf help

For me that mission was average too :/

If I want to get all of Vito's revenge side-quests, do I need to give him 4 districts, fucking over one of the other lieutenants? Or if I give the districts evenly I'll get everyone's last sidequest?

I dunno but I do know you should be screwing Burke over anyway because he's a prick.

brawly

What the hell is this Santangelo bullshit?
The dude drops on you with like 20 dudes and then the cops swarm you aswell.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
When do I get silenced weapons?

I've done Vito's side missions (Which are the same as the main missions lmfao) and didn't get one. Do I need to give him a district AFTER the sit down?

Tovarisc

You don't need fuck anyone over. Just do even split of districts. Only reason to favor someone over others is to unlock all tiers of perks.

Adnor

Banned
You don't need fuck anyone over. Just do even split of districts. Only reason to favor someone over others is to unlock all tiers of perks.

Oh so I don't lose the side-quests? perfect, don't care that much for the higher tier of perks anyway. Thanks for the answer!

Muffdraul

If you sprint at the enemy and hit Q he usually tackles enemy down and knocks him out. Or shoves bowie knife through their eyesocket, but you know... what ever gets job done.

I'm about 8 hours in and didn't even know you could sprint until now. They tutorialed everything else, must have been an oversight.

d00d3n

Is there a way to maintain a car speed under the speed limit? Mafia 1 had a button for this if I remember correctly. PC version played with a 360 controller here.

Top Bottom