• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
No prod night? No prod night.

I'm gonna read through the thread again in full tomorrow. I've sort of fallen behind on everything, which makes catching up and contributing kind of hard.

ultron87

I'm generally of the opinion that most of the things actually typed by people in general conversation is bupkis in terms of evidence. You can think your posts through too much that you probably aren't going to give yourself up that way. So we need to at least look at the actual actions taken in terms of voting, since that adds some reasons to vote things that don't make sense because you know it is good for your team and makes it so you have to (or don't have to) explain yourself.

The most interesting thing that's happened is the railroading of Egruntz. Let's look at why everyone did it. Or claims they did it.

Kalor: Says they are just voting to get voting started and see what people vote.

Timeaisis: Had been debating back and forth with Egruntz for a bit. Disagreed with reasons for Egruntz's accusations.

Palmer_v1: "just throwing votes out"

Rembrandt: Agrees with Timeaisis, theorizes a Mafia member trying to hide as a valuable townmember.

johnnyquicknives: "I'm going to throw a vote in the mix" Doesn't have gut feeling, but says that there have been too many posts that suspicious and weird.

------------ This is where egruntz makes the post saying it is "fine" that he'll get lynched and that we aren't cool or good at Mafia ----

Karkador: Votes because Egruntz was being elitist and talked down to the thread.

Irfaanator: Says since Egruntz basically gave up might as well vote him.

Pants: Going with the crowd.

Zippedinhead: Has reasoning in previous post where says torn on the vote. Then changed mind a minute later. Talks about how the majority of active players seems against egruntz, which could be bad.

Staydead: Joining bandwagon.

El Topo: Not convinced, but says lynching someone will give info.

Lord of Castemere: Doesn't think they're Mafia, but also doesn't think they have a role.

In looking at all of them, a lot were just wishy washy especially at the end after Karkador finished the job egruntz started and painted him as a bad sport elitist who isn't fun. The more I look like it Kark's post makes less and less sense to make. Obviously this is easier in hindsight, but dropping a huge pipebomb on a player who is doing a bit of self immolating sounds like an awfully opportunistic move that a Mafia member is very likely to make.

VOTE: Karkador

Karkador

Banned
Karkador: Votes because Egruntz was being elitist and talked down to the thread.

In looking at all of them, a lot were just wishy washy especially at the end after Karkador finished the job egruntz started and painted him as a bad sport elitist who isn't fun. The more I look like it Kark's post makes less and less sense to make. Obviously this is easier in hindsight, but dropping a huge pipebomb on a player who is doing a bit of self immolating sounds like an awfully opportunistic move that a Mafia member is very likely to make.

VOTE: Karkador

Actually, I owe egruntz an apology for unfairly bringing 'politics' into the lynching decision.

Yes, I did get pretty mad that he was talking down to us, because that sort of play always pisses me off in games, but I will admit that was unfair to do. From the sounds of it, he's going through some stuff IRL that I guess just bled into the game (and I found this out afterwards), and I shouldn't have been so harsh on that behavior. That part of my vote was operating on the desire for everyone to have a fun atmosphere, and shitting on the rest of the team like that was not going to be tolerated.

But aside from that, I felt that we were being very ambivalent in deciding who to kill, and IMO that puts the ball in mafia and night-phaser's court too much.

I ultimately felt that whether egruntz was good or bad, he made enough of a stand that we would learn something from his death - and I believe we did. By lynching egruntz, we confirmed that he was certainly not bullshitting us. If we had left that for mafia and night-phasers to decide, would they have afforded us the same information?

As for what I've been saying "making less and less sense", I'm not sure I follow. I've posted less than I've wanted to, but I think I've been fairly consistent in trying to nudge people to look at "the case" in a logical manner. There was info to go on Day 1, and there is even more to go on Day 2, but I'm wondering why some people haven't followed through on their conclusions with a vote. I think some people are watching and waiting.

Which reminds me that I have to enter my vote, too, but I've said enough in this post, so it'll go into a new post.

Karkador

Banned
So as for who I'm voting for, its:

VOTE: johnnyquicknives

Foshy's theory put me over the edge on him - egruntz and Duress were the only ones to vote for his lynching, and they're now dead (with johnny involved in voting for egruntz).
Of everything that has happened, this is the most obvious lead to follow. There's been so much controversy over this one person, I think it's time we confirm it for ourselves. Good or bad, this lynch will help us sort out who's who.

Foshy

Alright we're all over the map. Can we discuss the votes so far?

Kalor (2)
irfaanator (1)
Timeaisis (1)
nin1000 (1)

Ok, so this is our lineup it seems for potential lynch. Honestly the problem is nobody has really stood out much, no matter what intricate theorizing people are doing about this person or that person. There's just not a lot to go on right now. No consensus at all.

There were a few posts on this page that made a "fumes-esque" argument about Kalor which was basically the best argument I heard so fa and the only reason I voted, but even that was weak to say the least.

Can people who voted for irfaanator and Timeaisis make the argument for them vs. Kalor or nin1000?

Where are you going with this, exactly? Not a lot to go off right now, true, but is there any reason you're second guessing the votes on irfanaator and timeaisis specifically and accept johnny's reasoning on nin without asking him to elaborate further?

Foshy's theory put me over the edge on him - egruntz and Duress were the only ones to vote for his lynching, and they're now dead (with johnny involved in voting for egruntz).
Of everything that has happened, this is the most obvious lead to follow. There's been so much controversy over this one person, I think it's time we confirm it for ourselves. Good or bad, this lynch will help us sort out who's who.
I'm going with this too now.

VOTE: johnnyquickknives

Rembrandt

Banned
My fucking computer broke. I'll make an effort to read through all this tonight. My bad, guys. I see some votes flying around for a couple different people, I must have missed some good stuff.

Sorry guys I've been caught up in Dying Light, and haven't taken the time yet to post.

I'm going to get my thoughts, and possibly a vote on paper in the next few hours after I eat.

pants

VOTE:Amir0x

I'm voting for you not because I'm convinced you are mafia, but because I am convinced your behavior is peculiar. You mentioned not remembering to post in this thread, but I kinda don't believe you for a second, you likely are subbed to this thread, like all of us. To me it's irreconcilably strange that I see you post tens of times in other threads throughout the day, but not here. I expected you to be the most active member, and the fact that you're not (especially since you likely know you're somewhat of an opinion maker on here) tells me you're either scared of being targeted or you have a role that allows you to influence this game without being overly vocal about it. That may not necessarily be a mafia role, but to my mind you're the absolute most peculiar person for me. (It sux, but it kinda counts against you that I'm familiar with you, but not so many of the other people in this thread, thus it's easy to see when you act odd)

El Topo

I'm voting for you not because I'm convinced you are mafia, but because I am convinced your behavior is peculiar. You mentioned not remembering to post in this thread, but I kinda don't believe you for a second, you likely are subbed to this thread, like all of us. To me it's irreconcilably strange that I see you post tens of times in other threads throughout the day, but not here. I expected you to be the most active member, and the fact that you're not (especially since you likely know you're somewhat of an opinion maker on here) tells me you're either scared of being targeted or you have a role that allows you to influence this game without being overly vocal about it. That may not necessarily be a mafia role, but to my mind you're the absolute most peculiar person for me. (It sux, but it kinda counts against you that I'm familiar with you, but not so many of the other people in this thread, thus it's easy to see when you act odd)

I completely agree with your analysis and in general I would expect mafia (and special roles I guess) to keep a low profile, but I think deliberately being inactive and then lying about it would be a dick move and I'm not sure if he'd do that. So either he lied about it or he forgot about it, in which case he probably has an unimportant role?

kingkitty

going inactive on purpose just to avoid suspicion as mafia might be...kinda poop because it delays the game while we wait for Crab to start prodding.

but it's still a strategy a mafia might use to ward off suspicion...or something

shouldn't discount it

not that I'm saying Amirox is doing that.

kingkitty

question: if we end up with a tie in votes, such as for two players, does that mean those two players are lynched, or that no one is?

kingkitty

i see, i don't think it's in our best interest to go a day without a lynch so this tie needs to end soon...

for a while i've considered voting for johnnyquickknives which would break the tie.

some have voted for him based on the fact that the two people who wanted him lynched last round both ended up dead...but would mafia really be that obvious in their strategy?

or maybe they're purposely being obvious, hoping that we would expect them to be more subtle.

or maybe i don't fucking know

vote: kalor

i found quantumbro's reasoning more persuasive i suppose.

pants

I completely agree with your analysis and in general I would expect mafia (and special roles I guess) to keep a low profile, but I think deliberately being inactive and then lying about it would be a dick move and I'm not sure if he'd do that. So either he lied about it or he forgot about it, in which case he probably has an unimportant role?

I expect if Ami was just a normal townie he'd be posting more in this thread trying to use his posts to influence the game more, I could be reading him wrong and his disinterest could be based on the fact he doesn't have a special role and don't feel like putting in the work, or alternatively he could have simply forgot. There isnt lots to go by just yet, this is all I have for now and I'm giving Ami every opportunity to prove me wrong.

Johnnyquickknives assailants being removed seems like such an obvious ploy, but that's what makes it so genius. A risky gambit.

I held my suspicions, but Foshy convinced me. I believe Johnnyquickknives is Mafia. Everything that happened is just too damn coincidental.

VOTE: johnnyquickknives

Kalor

No-one has done a updated vote list in a while so here's one.

Kalor 3
johnnyquickknives 3
Timeaisis 1
nin1000 1
Karkador 1
irfaanator 1
Amir0x 1

If I was to vote for someone I would vote for johnnyquickknives based on the arguments presendted for them. However since we are tied for the most votes right now I don't want to appear to be trying to save myself so I'm not going to vote for now.

Zatoth

I still have a feeling that Kalor or Timeasis is Mafia. Maybe even both.

I'll go with with Kalor because he was the first one to vote to lynch egruntz yesterday.

Egruntz did not the greatest job to making himself look innocent to tell the truth. Maybe Mafia noticed this and tried to get the voting to lynch him started because of this.

VOTE: Kalor

Timeaisis

Looks like we're all over the place, huh?

I'm voting irfaanator. He was my secondary suspect the previous night, and I haven't really seen anything that bumps anyone else higher on my suspect lost.

irfaanator

StayDead

Either this is going to completely bite me in the ass if I'm wrong, or it'll be me making a good decision, but I think I support this post. I know I myself haven't been the most active player, but I certainly haven't said I'd forgotten to post here since it's been on my subscription since I got in the game (when someone quit?).

I don't really know Amirox all that much, but I know he's been active outside of this thread, and I find it very odd that someone that active wouldn't subscribe a thread they're supposed to be posting in. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me at all.

There's a lot going on between johnny and Kalor, but personally I haven't seen anything hugely condeming for either of them. Although saying that, so far I haven't seen that for anyone as it still seriously feels like we're shooting in the dark with the lynches. I'm going to make the decision purely based off of of his behaviour to:

Man, I seriously still have no idea. Johnny's an obvious one, but it seems too obvious. But then that could've been what they were going for in the first place.

Johnnyquickknives assailants being removed seems like such an obvious ploy, but that's what makes it so genius.

yup, double bluff? triple bluff? its easily argued either way. No matter what way the vote ends up going for me the one thing that the Duress kill was guaranteed to do was ensure that I was thrust into the limelight for the day and that a lot of the discussions and voting would be focused around that.

I've been away for a couple of days so have a few posts to catch up on.

So it's now looking like a 3-way tie between me, Amir0x and Kalor.
Amirox still gets my "player causing the most gut-based suspicion" award. Theres a couple more posts now, still nothing really worthwhile.
Kalor has been pretty gung-ho, but that has helped stimulate discussion and I've basically found his votes to be straight down the middle, nothing that inclined me to view him on either side.
I agree that a tie isn't in our best interests but, like Kalor stated, us voting just looks like self preservation and I'm still fine with my reasoning for voting Nin so I'm going to leave it and let things fall where they fall. Since we're passed the deadline I presume we could end at any time.
I thought it was interesting that I called Nin out, with one of the reasons being irrelevent posts and inactivity(despite seeming eager/excited) only for him to instantly come back and reply meaning he was almost certainly keeping an eye on the thread.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently out at the moment with only phone access; I'll be back about 22:00 GMT; the night will begin then. Feel free to keep going at the moment. Currently Kalor would be lynched.

El Topo

I have no idea who mafia is, but it seems our choice boils down to johnnyquickknives and Kalor, not because of particularly convincing reasons though, but because they're ahead of the rest.

I'll be honest, I've had other suspects, e.g. Palmer_v1 (given e.g. inconsistencies in his behaviour/comments) and irfaanator. Amir0x is suspicious as well, but then I'm willing to believe he just forgot. So I have to vote for Kalor or johnnyquickknives? I'll go with my guts.

VOTE:johnnyquickknives

El Topo

Stupid question: I don't want a tie because that means we wouldn't lynch someone. Can I set up my vote such that I automatically switch to Kalor if we're at a tie?

Karkador

Banned
Also, if your doubt is, "Isn't it too obvious for the Mafia to kill people who voted against johnny?", here are my thoughts:

There will be doubts about whether it's a bluff/double-bluff/triple-bluff until we can confirm the role of johnnyquicknives. We can solve that mystery right now with a kill, and I doubt any night-phasers are going to do it for us. They are going to go for the least informative kill.

FWIW, there are other people who are worth killing for deductive information, and I think that's what's causing the split, but we can't let this go to a tie.

El Topo

If your tie-breaker favors Kalor getting lynched, then it seems you should vote Kalor from the start

If I vote Kalor, he's ahead by two votes and almost through. People will look at that and think "Meh, might as well vote Kalor". Since I haven't had much time to follow the thread lately, I listened to my guts, but I don't want to force other people to do the same, especially if they were more active than I was.

MattyG

Banned
Johnnyquickknives assailants being removed seems like such an obvious ploy, but that's what makes it so genius. A risky gambit.

I held my suspicions, but Foshy convinced me. I believe Johnnyquickknives is Mafia. Everything that happened is just too damn coincidental.
I still don't feel 100% on either johnny or kalor being mafia, but I actually do think that this is a serious possibility.

BUT, I just remembered this post. This...

Morning Guys.

So, everyone clear on what happens if you vote for me, yeah? Cool.

...is just too obvious, right? Would a member of the mafia really post something like this? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the post, but this seems like a very open threat, no?

I'll hold off on voting for a couple hours, but right now I'm leaning towards Johnny.

El Topo

Also, if your doubt is, "Isn't it too obvious for the Mafia to kill people who voted against johnny?", here are my thoughts:

There will be doubts about whether it's a bluff/double-bluff/triple-bluff until we can confirm the role of johnnyquicknives. We can solve that mystery right now with a kill, and I doubt any night-phasers are going to do it for us. They are going to go for the least informative kill.

FWIW, there are other people who are worth killing for deductive information, and I think that's what's causing the split, but we can't let this go to a tie.

That makes sense. I think the problem is that some people have been very vocal and active, which means there's a lot more "ammunition" against them and it puts them in the spotlight.

I honestly don't really like either nomination. I mean if I was mafia, I'd lay back and enjoy the town tearing itself apart, I wouldn't vote first and I wouldn't post really lengthy explanations on who could be mafia. From my little experience in real life mafia (or werewolf actually), it's usually those that stay in the shadows.

The problem is that there could always be that one guy that tries to fool us all, you know? Sometimes the obvious choice is the right one, even if it's not what I would do.

MattyG

Banned
We have about an hour and 20 mins before Crab will declare it night, just in case.
Oh, I missed that. Thanks for the heads up.

Well, I guess I'll vote now then, and I can change it by 5 EST if any compelling evidence comes out in favor of Johnny.

VOTE:johnnyquickknives

ultron87

Don't hedge for the town voting wrong. Lynching someone on the tourist team is bad. It doesn't gain helpful information. Everyone that voted for them just goes "oops, guess I had the wrong feeling! Ha ha." just like what happened with Egruntz's. We didn't gain anything from that besides a vague idea that the Mafia are probably somewhere in that group of votes.

"Let's just hang them for the information" is classic mafia speak to get the town to continue to feel okay about hanging non mafia members. The goal is to kill the Mafia and not kill the townspeople.

Foshy

wow this is a mess

Roundup of the votes so far, because it's ending soon

quantumbro: kalor http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149296316&postcount=500

palmer: irfanaator http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149368568&postcount=510

amirox: kalor http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149613392&postcount=523

(kalor: irfanaator http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149685002&postcount=525 UNVOTE http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149824592&postcount=541)

ward: timeaisis http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149758934&postcount=536

johnnyquickknives: nin1000 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149771123&postcount=538

irfanaator: palmer http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=149996717&postcount=550

ultron: karkador http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150000749&postcount=552

karkador: johnnyquickknives http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150007766&postcount=554

foshy: johnnyquickknives http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150009368&postcount=555

pants: amirox http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150060047&postcount=559

kingkitty: kalor http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150093635&postcount=564

lordofcastamere: johnnyquickknives http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150098624&postcount=566

traube: kalor http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150104261&postcount=568

timeaisis: irfaanator http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150104387&postcount=569

staydead: amirox http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150104534&postcount=570

el topo: johnnyquickknives http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150112805&postcount=575

mattyG: johnnyquickknives http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150118121&postcount=583

johnnyquickknives: 5
kalor: 4
irfaanator: 2
timeaisis: 1
nin1000: 1
palmer: 1
karkador: 1
amirox: 1

Looks like the mafia is not going for a bandwagon on somebody innocent this time, but spreading out the votes as much as possible while hoping other people catch on their reasonings.

I'd say we keep an eye out for people quickly trying to force a tie or banding together to change the lynch result.

Karkador

Banned
Don't hedge for the town voting wrong. Lynching someone on the tourist team is bad. It doesn't gain helpful information. Everyone that voted for them just goes "oops, guess I had the wrong feeling! Ha ha." just like what happened with Egruntz's. We didn't gain anything from that besides a vague idea that the Mafia are probably somewhere in that group of votes.

"Let's just hang them for the information" is classic mafia speak to get the town to continue to feel okay about hanging non mafia members. The goal is to kill the Mafia and not kill the townspeople.

You're right, I agree that it is dangerous and potentially wasteful to kill people that might be good. But in the case that the person in question has made a lot of accusations, or otherwise tangled in some web where revealing one role says a lot about everyone else involved, then I think the kill can offer information, and if egruntz was alive right now, we might still be arguing over whether he's good or not. At least now, we have something to go on.

If it seems like I'm being loose with kills right now, it's because we have lost less people than we could have, and we didn't lynch day 1 - we have a little bit of wiggle room to work with right now, but that's likely to change soon (and I won't be so casual then).

I mean, if you think my logic is flawed, please tell us what a better rationale would be; I'm not saying I have this thing completely figured out. Debate of my ideas is welcome, but just labeling what I'm saying as "classic mafia tricks" offers nothing.

Before the day ends, anyone have any suggestions for who the cop (if there is one) should investigate?

My vote would be for timeaisis. He's taken up the leader role and I'd like to know if he can be trusted.

A couple of people have mentioned things above and I want to clarify that I do not for a second regret voting for egruntz; innocent or guilty he posted a lot of shit and refused to comment on it.

There's not really anything for me to say so I'm going to head up to my room now.

Trying to get my first vote in.. still have no idea who to go for though! (Missed first day due to inactivity, didn't agree with egruntz vote on the second day)

I'll go with Timeasis and Palmer and say:

Vote: irfanaator

With none of the recent talk changing Timeasis' thoughts from Day 2, I'll take that as having something to it other than being catch of the day.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Vote Count |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

johnnyquicknives: 5 / 12 [MattyG, El Topo, Lord of Castamere, Foshy, Karkador]

Kalor: 4 / 12 [traube, kingkitty, Amir0x, Quantumbro]

irfanaator: 3 / 12 [Timeaisis, Palmer_v1, tomakasatnav]

Amir0x: 2 / 12 [pants, StayDead]

Timeaisis: 1 / 12 [Ward]

nin1000: 1 / 12 [johnnyquicknives]

Palmer_v1: 1 / 12 [irfanaator]

Karkador: 1 / 12 [ultron87]

No option reached a majority. At the deadline, johnnyquicknives, the God-fearing American, had a plurality of the votes, and was therefore lynched.

God-fearing American
Welcome!

You are a God-fearing American.

You are aligned with the Tourists.

These goddamned Europeans wouldn't be in such a state if they knew their Second Amendment rights, dang-nabbit! You, on the other hand, have the very gun God blessed you with hidden away. If it becomes necessary, you can help restore American freedoms to this socialist hellhole. Once per game, during the night phase, you may select a player to kill by PMing me the command KILL: Crab.

You win when only Tourist-aligned players remain.

Night 3 has begun. Night 3 will end on Tuesday 3rd February at approximately 23:00 GMT.

Please do not post in this thread until Night 3 has finished.

Well done to everyone for having a no-ping night.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Foshy's death was fairly gruesome, sure. Never nice seeing a man with his throat slit open like that. But, in comparison... Ward's body was just something else. He looked like he'd been shredded, violently ripped limb from limb. I mean, there's even something that looks like toothmarks here and there. Frankly, it's quite enough to put one off one's delicious breakfast croissant.

Night 2 has ended. During the night, Foshy the Ordinary Tourist and Ward the Ordinary Tourist were killed.

Day 4 has begun. Day 4 will end on Tuesday 10th February at approximately 23:00 GMT.

You may now resume posting. Everyone got everything in on time tonight, so well done!

Timeaisis

RIP Foshy and Ward. Dammit. We still don't know if it's a vigilante or some kind of mafia hitman, but if anything it means we're probably going to be getting 2 night kills from now on.

Timeaisis

Also, Ward is a weird choice for a hit. Possibly trying to throw some suspicion my way, as I was the last person he voted for?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Foshy's will:

Foshy said:
I'm sorry.

I'll take the responsibility for Johnny's death. I guess I wasn't wrong in him having a killing role, but I did not expect this outcome.

It's gonna be hard, but you guys can still win. I believe in you.

Top Bottom