• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Palmer_v1

Different subject. Actually I'm wondering if mafia have a reverse cop role of some sort.

How so? Like makes someone appear guilty? That would only matter if we also had a Cop, which we may or may not. It feels like most of this game was about watching who got targeted, and by whom, for information gathering.

There are also quite common mafia roles that will scan as town aligned even when they're not, and a few town roles that can scan as mafia even when they're not, which we haven't seen so far. I'm more and more inclined to think we have no cop, and thus no abilities that would mess with those checks.

What I wonder most about is if the Mafia has a switcher like Quantum.

Palmer_v1

Oh, and if you're suspecting traube, then you can also consider that RNH's "report" tries to cover for traube

Remember:

I don't disagree with anything that was posted about Traube and RNH, but if it's accurate, and we're catching 2 more Mafia, it quickly slides Karkador back to wanting to kill tourists for his win condition.

Do we lynch RNH, then Traube(assuming RNH is mafia), then probably Karkador? I don't think the mafia is going to waste any night kills on Karkador at this point.

Either way, Kingkitty, you're off my list pending the results of all of this. Absolut as well for now.

I'd like to apologise for my lack of activity lately, and I will be making a proper post later. I've just got into work so I'll say that I will have made a post explaining things by 9PM (GMT, as I imagine from how people seem to post at awkward times for me that most people aren't in England). All I'll say for now is that I didn't quite realise how much effort and how long this game was going to take, hence the small amount of posting.

Yeah. Stuff will happen within the next 12 hours. Sorry for the inactivity everyone.

Palmer_v1

I'd like to apologise for my lack of activity lately, and I will be making a proper post later. I've just got into work so I'll say that I will have made a post explaining things by 9PM (GMT, as I imagine from how people seem to post at awkward times for me that most people aren't in England). All I'll say for now is that I didn't quite realise how much effort and how long this game was going to take, hence the small amount of posting.

Yeah. Stuff will happen within the next 12 hours. Sorry for the inactivity everyone.

Yeah, seems like 90% of us are in a NA time zone. -5ish GMT. It's definitely been more time intensive than I expected, as well, but luckily I have some leeway to fuck around at work. Plus Mobile GAF. You guys probably don't want to know how much of my posting has been from a bathroom.

Karkador

Banned
Well, while we wait for that, I want to start another discussion otherwise, we're burning time.

Topic 1). What side would a no-lynch benefit the most this round?

Well, while we wait for that, I want to start another discussion otherwise, we're burning time.

I feel it depends on how many mafia are left or not and whether they are just goons, have passive abilities, or if they still have an action.

If any mafia person has a passive ability that prevents night time death then I have to say voting no-lynch benefits mafia more without question until that person is dead. If the only way for the tourists to win is if all the mafia are dead, and if there is a mafia person that can only be killed during the day, then not voting, even if we kill a tourist, actively prevents us from winning (as opposed to just delaying a victory due to lack of evidence).

If the mafia do NOT have an ability like that, i.e. all goons or some other passive, then voting no-lynch probably helps town more. However, this is more due to the lack of concrete information/mafia screw ups that have helped us the last few days.

Palmer_v1

A no lynch while you are still alive does not benefit town. At some point, we do have to string you up because the mafia isn't going to do it for us. Even if you are still trying to kill Mafia(debatable), they could have someone immune to it. I honestly am not sure what prevented multiple deaths recently, but this could be part of it. As such, I feel like a no-lynch does benefit Mafia.

We all need to decide soon if we're lynching RNH or Karkador. I'm the only one with an actual vote right now, and we don't want Mafia to be able to scum a plurality vote on me at the last minute.

So pending RNH's stuff:

Vote: RobotNinjaHornets

Know that if RNH is Mafia, Traube goes onto my list. If not, Kingkitty is back on it.

Timeaisis

Well, for now at least...

VOTE: RobotNinjaHornets

A no lynch right now is a bad idea. I would think there's a mafia immune to Karkador so a lynch is the only weapon we have. Who'd you target last night anyway, Kark?

Palmer_v1

What are the chances that mafia have another role blocker?

We know they don't have a killer, we killed their tracker(LoC), and a blocker(Pants). Not sure what other active roles would be common. A Mafia switcher like quantum maybe? If RNH is Mafia, he must have an active role. Guess they could have a Mafia Sleepwalker?

Considering we don't seem to have a cop, it feels like two role blockers would be overkill for Mafia.

It feels like the important question is how many generic mafia goons do they have? How stacked did Crab make the game?

Palmer_v1

Remember, my kill did not go through last night. I don't know why, but one person here must know.

I guess if we had a town role blocker, who targeted someone other than you, they probably would have come forward with that info, since it's likely whoever they blocked was the assigned mafia killer. That's an easy lynch for us, if so. That would also mean you're lying about StayDead and did kill him.

On the other hand, if they role blocked you, it means Mafia killed StayDead. This just seems odd. Maybe LoC investigated him at some point and they thought he had something better than Sleepwalker? StayDead was just a complete non-entity as far as town went. But don't we already know that your role kills role blockers when they visit you? Or was that fluff in pants death?

Last role blocking option is someone else got blocked, and either you or the mafia were unable to kill a target for some reason, or the Mafia chose not to, but I dunno why they'd do that.

A mafia switcher might explain some things as well. Perhaps your target got swapped with StayDead and you did kill him without knowing it. Still doesn't explain the missing kill, and again, why Staydead?

Could be some combination of a Mafia switcher and town role blocker or other passive defenses as well.

Timeaisis

That was N2 though, wasn't it? Didn't QuantumBro switch me out at that point with someone else or something?

Like I said before, I have no special role that prevents me from death. So I'm not sure what happened there.

Palmer_v1

Nah, that's not the one I targeted.

Back to our lack of role knowledge, there's a chance they have more than one unkillable night person, right? Though I guess I find that unlikely from a balance perspective, cause it makes it nearly impossible for the Serial Killer to win. Not that they usually win anyway, but that would just be brutal. Who has Karkador tried to get Lynched in the past? That could provide us some clues.

Aside from that Karkador, is there a chance you were just role blocked on a night you made the attempt against this nefarious person?

Palmer_v1

Well, after he inexplicably didn't die once, why waste another night action on Timeaisis?

From Quantumbro:

Night 1: SWITCH: Timeaisis and nin1000
Night 2: SWITCH: Timeasis and Karkador
Night 3: SWITCH: Kalor and Ward
Night 4: SWITCH: Amir0x and Quantumbro

Wouldn't he have survived because you essentially targeted yourself? Can you even attack yourself? Is this how you burned one of your lives?

Karkador

Banned
Aside from that Karkador, is there a chance you were just role blocked on a night you made the attempt against this nefarious person?

This was N2.

QuantumBro switched Timeaisis with me.

I attacked Timeaisis, which would then mean I'd attack myself and use up a life- except I get a notification when this happens, and I didn't for this.

nin1000 targeted Timeaisis. If his heal was successful, we would get a daytime notification about it (like we did for ultron). We didn't.

If pants had blocked me that night, I would have been notified. I wasn't.

So that's three bells that did not ring, and no one else showed up on Time's visitor report that night.

It's beyond explanation.

Timeaisis

Maybe you're just not allowed to target yourself, so the attack just fizzled out when you became your own target? I know you're trying to get me to roleclaim here, but I already did. I'm still just an ordinary tourist.

In any event, I PMed Crab for some clarification.

Palmer_v1

Maybe you're just not allowed to target yourself, so the attack just fizzled out when you became your own target? I know you're trying to get me to roleclaim here, but I already did. I'm still just an ordinary tourist.

In any event, I PMed Crab for some clarification.

I'm not sure we can get Crab to confirm any part of karkador's abilities while he's alive. Karkador probably could, but it means we have to trust his word when he reports back.

My other worry is if Nin1000's heal did trigger, but he forgot the message.

Can you verify that was not the problem, Crab?

Timeaisis

I'm not sure we can get Crab to confirm any part of karkador's abilities while he's alive. Karkador probably could, but it means we have to trust his word when he reports back.

My other worry is if Nin1000's heal did trigger, but he forgot the message.

Can you verify that was not the problem, Crab?

Well, it's more for clarification on whether or not Kark would actually get notified if he accidentally targeted himself. He's under the impression he would.

Either that or nin's message didn't go out, as you said.

Regardless, I'd still like to know who you targeted last night. It's obviously not me. And, according to you, someone was protecting them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I can't comment in Karkador's role, but nin1000's save message doesn't trigger unless the save would otherwise have died. The save and the message are sort of independent. It's designed that way so that ordinary players can be almost definitively cleared if they get saved, whereas an air of ambiguity is kept to roles that have multiple lives, other things protecting them, redirect effects, or the like.

Karkador

Banned
Regardless, I'd still like to know who you targeted last night. It's obviously not me. And, according to you, someone was protecting them.

They either protected them, or stopped me. The former heavily implies the person is town. The latter could go either way.

So my thinking is, if they come out and say the name, I can confirm, while I'm still alive, that they are probably (99%) town.

Karkador

Banned
I can't comment in Karkador's role, but nin1000's save message doesn't trigger unless the save would otherwise have died. The save and the message are sort of independent.

Specifically "died", as in killed and out of the game, or "died" as in the hit went through (independent of whether or not they would survive it)?

Palmer_v1

I can't comment in Karkador's role, but nin1000's save message doesn't trigger unless the save would otherwise have died. The save and the message are sort of independent.

So to be clear about Nin's role, here's a question with known quantities. If Nin1000 had targeted Duress on the night he last the first of his two "lives", what would have happened?

1. Nin1000's role doesn't trigger at all, Duress loses 1 life.
2. Nin1000's role does trigger, preventing loss of 1 life, but since it wasn't stopping an immediate death, we get no message.

Palmer_v1

That explains that, then

I'm still not 100% clear. Does that mean #2 from my post is what happened that night to you?

You attacked yourself, nin stopped you. You got no message that you lost a life, and because you wouldn't have died, nin broadcast no message that he saved a life.

Jesus H Christ what a confusing night. I would love to have seen Crab's face when that set of interactions came through.

Karkador

Banned
That's correct, Palmer. I didn't lose a life, but since I wouldn't have died either way, his save went unannounced (which helped preserve my role's secrecy, so I see the reason for it).

Palmer_v1

That's correct, Palmer. I didn't lose a life, but since I wouldn't have died either way, his save went unannounced (which helped preserve my role's secrecy, so I see the reason for it).

So the end result is it means Night 2 is not proof of anything in regards to Timeaisis, since nothing ever actually happened to him, accept for the Quantum switch. Whatever he may be, he's not immune to that kind of night role, at least.

Timeaisis

So the end result is it means Night 2 is not proof of anything in regards to Timeaisis, since nothing ever actually happened to him, accept for the Quantum switch. Whatever he may be, he's not immune to that kind of night role, at least.

Basically, we're back where we started with me haha. It's all good. It gives more clarification on what could have happened, last night, I think.

They either protected them, or stopped me. The former heavily implies the person is town. The latter could go either way.

So my thinking is, if they come out and say the name, I can confirm, while I'm still alive, that they are probably (99%) town.

Why do you say that? Couldn't the protector have just as easily been a mafia protector and protected the person you targeted to kill?

Or do you believe that's less likely because we've already outed (and killed) a mafia roleblocker and a protector would be overpowered?

Zatoth

I even pointed it out...and guess who defended RNH, and shifted it towards Ultron.

I did mention one more possibility. One that you forgot. Like I said today, Ultron is most likely town, but there is still the possibility that it is an amazing plan of the Mafia.

I am still not sure why Mafia did not kill Ultron. His power is dangerous for Mafia players. So why keep him alive? Especially last night, with the risk of QuantumBro's switch gone, it would have made much more sense to take out Ultron than Staydead.

The night he got saved by Nin1000 it is also possible that this happened because QuantumBro switched him with another person. Making him a target.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So to be clear about Nin's role, here's a question with known quantities. If Nin1000 had targeted Duress on the night he last the first of his two "lives", what would have happened?

1. Nin1000's role doesn't trigger at all, Duress loses 1 life.
2. Nin1000's role does trigger, preventing loss of 1 life, but since it wasn't stopping an immediate death, we get no message.

and there we are night 2's mystery of one death is solved...

Nin saved Karkador from a hit, but we were not informed because it would not have killed him. This also gives credence to him having at least 1 life.

Still doesn't solve night 5 though.

Karkador you said that you visited Nin on night 5, but did not receive a notification for a night of passion. So that rules out Pants blocking you. Nin could not self visit, so he could not have saved himself (and besides he was saving ultron).

So that leaves three options Another doctor, you lied about who you targeted and got the mafia person who doesn't die, OR a town blocker.

Timeaisis

Except that night is the night that Quantumbro switched Karkador for YOU...

Its post 919

I forget...did we get a notification from nin1000 that someone was saved that night? If we didn't, it means that whoever was targeted would not have died. Meaning traube is immune to nigh tkills.

Palmer_v1

and there we are night 2's mystery of one death is solved...

Nin saved Karkador from a hit, but we were not informed because it would not have killed him. This also gives credence to him having at least 1 life.

Still doesn't solve night 5 though.

Karkador you said that you visited Nin on night 5, but did not receive a notification for a night of passion. So that rules out Pants blocking you. Nin could not self visit, so he could not have saved himself (and besides he was saving ultron).

So that leaves three options Another doctor, you lied about who you targeted and got the mafia person who doesn't die, OR a town blocker.

Or there was a switch? Do we know who quantum targeted night 5?

Karkador

Banned
Had to review my murdering scrapbook, for accuracy

Their precious faces, in order:

1 Duress
2 Timeaisis
3 Foshy
4 irfaanator
5 nin1000
6 nin1000
7 pants
8 <redacted> *smuggrin*

Zatoth

Except that night is the night that Quantumbro switched Karkador for YOU...

So he said. But we have not confirmation that he told the truth about his targets.

Didn't he say that he can not target the same person twice in a row?

Would that not make it risky for him to reveal his real targets?

Palmer_v1

So he said. But we have not confirmation that he told the truth about his targets.

Didn't he say that he can not target the same person twice in a row?

Would that not make it risky for him to reveal his real targets?

He claimed to have targeted Timeaisis on Night 1 and 2, so that holds no water. His role reveal on death also does not mention any such restriction. His only limitation was that he could not target himself.

He claimed to have targeted Timeaisis on Night 1 and 2, so that holds no water. His role reveal on death also does not mention any such restriction. His only limitation was that he could not target himself.

You are right, Quantumbro's Death role reveal specifically said that he could not target himself, yet on night 4 in his reveal post he says that he switched amir0x and himself.

Night 5 he said he switched Karkador and Traube

Night 6
he said he switched Absolutbro and Robotninjahornets

then again before he died he said that he could switch others with himself

I think he threw that in so that Mafia would think that he could switch himself, because to do anything else would have instantly killed him. Sadly, Quantum's gambit kind of throws everything he said out the door with the exception of night 2.

Top Bottom