• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Zatoth

Oh, before I forget it. Thanks crab for the hard work. Must be quite the challenge to keep up with all the roles and message you receive.

Personally the flavor means little to me. I've frequently been in Themed games that had you against a malignant force from whatever the Theme was from. For the record, I'm not SUPER fond of Themed games based on an IP because while they can be tons of fun (I did say how much I loved Mother 3 mafia), I find those games often devolve into people trying to find the odd character out, since many only have but so many characters. If that route is taken, it's best to pick an IP with a shitton of characters, or maybe multiple IPs in a battle royale.

Other than that, I'm whatever with flavor.

Palmer_v1

I prefer Werewolf a little bit. Easier to add strange roles with the mystical elements compared to Mafia, where everything is more grounded.

I'll happily play either way though.

Timeaisis

I prefer Werewolf a little bit. Easier to add strange roles with the mystical elements compared to Mafia, where everything is more grounded.

I'll happily play either way though.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference? I've only ever had experience with Mafia, but never played Werewolf. Is it just thematic?

Palmer_v1

Out of curiosity, what's the difference? I've only ever had experience with Mafia, but never played Werewolf. Is it just thematic?

It's mostly just the theme. The general rules are identical. It comes down to variations on roles, and because Werewolf is a fantasy setting, you can have other roles that don't always make sense in a modern setting. That can go both ways, though. I guess it's mostly just personal preference.

I just gotta say I really enjoyed following this game. Great job on both sides, especially mafia, I thought there would be more than what you were. I would have signed up if I actually visited the OT more often... but anyway I was rooting for you Karkador to overcome the odds! Looking forward to whenever the next game is run, hopefully I can get in!

nin1000

Banned
Thank you very much for the effort Crab, you did an outstanding job right there.
Who wants to take over the game now ? Would love to play again with all of you guys it was one hell of a ride.

I don't envy the person who has to try and run a game after the amazing amount of effort crab put into this one!

I've only played a handful of games, and this was the only one that wasn't in person and was on a large scale, so I'm nowhere near experienced enough to run one. I'm definitely in to play another round though.

MattyG

Banned
We should play every round with a different theme. There's obviously werewolf, but a Star Wars theme with roles like bounty hunters as neutrals, the Hutt mob as the mafia, etc would be awesome. It wouldn't really be an actual change in terms of rules, but it would be an interesting change up to the story and feel of it all. I'd love to run one like that.

Then later there could be a medieval themed on, or a WWII themed one or something. I don't know if any of there would work or if the mafia theme is essential, but it'd be a cool experiment.

We should play every round with a different theme. There's obviously werewolf, but a Star Wars theme with roles like bounty hunters as neutrals, the Hutt mob as the mafia, etc would be awesome. It wouldn't really be an actual change in terms of rules, but it would be an interesting change up to the story and feel of it all. I'd love to run one like that.

Then later there could be a medieval themed on, or a WWII themed one or something. I don't know if any of there would work or if the mafia theme is essential, but it'd be a cool experiment.

Themed games are very much a thing. My thoughts on it from earlier.

Personally the flavor means little to me. I've frequently been in Themed games that had you against a malignant force from whatever the Theme was from. For the record, I'm not SUPER fond of Themed games based on an IP because while they can be tons of fun (I did say how much I loved Mother 3 mafia), I find those games often devolve into people trying to find the odd character out, since many only have but so many characters. If that route is taken, it's best to pick an IP with a shitton of characters, or maybe multiple IPs in a battle royale.

Other than that, I'm whatever with flavor.

MattyG

Banned
Themed games are very much a thing. My thoughts on it from earlier.
Awesome, I totally missed those posts! We should have everyone propose themes and then hold a vote. I'd love to run the next round and make it Star Wars themed. I think there should be enough characters and types of chracters to avoid your problems with IP based themes.

Awesome, I totally missed those posts! We should have everyone propose themes and then hold a vote. I'd love to run the next round and make it Star Wars themed. I think there should be enough characters and types of chracters to avoid your problems with IP based themes.

I'm on a pretty big SW kick at the moment, between running an Edge of the Empire game and playing a ton of X-Wing, so I'd be SO in for a SW game.

And I swear, this time I won't be such an infrequent poster!

MattyG

Banned
I'm on a pretty big SW kick at the moment, between running an Edge of the Empire game and playing a ton of X-Wing, so I'd be SO in for a SW game.

And I swear, this time I won't be such an infrequent poster!
If enough people are interested and think it's a good idea, I'd be happy to run it. That is, if Crab needs a break and everyone wants it. If he wants to run the next round, it's all him.

I've been on a Star Wars kick too, since last summer. I'm almost done every current comic issue released and I'm reading all the books. Almost done Tarkin. It is SO GOOD.

The only problem I could see having with this theme is the narrative. With so many planets in the galaxy and modes of travel, do you choose one planet or use multiple? If only one, how do you strand people in a singular location when you have ships capable of jumping to hyperspace? I'm sure I could figure it out easily enough though. After all, if Vader and Palpatine can be stranded on a planet (that's the concept of Lords of the Sith), I'm sure ordinary people can be as well. Having multiple planets would be interesting, but I don't see how that would work in the context of a game of mafia.

Palmer_v1

If enough people are interested and think it's a good idea, I'd be happy to run it. That is, if Crab needs a break and everyone wants it. If he wants to run the next round, it's all him.

I've been on a Star Wars kick too, since last summer. I'm almost done every current comic issue released and I'm reading all the books. Almost done Tarkin. It is SO GOOD.

The only problem I could see having with this theme is the narrative. With so many planets in the galaxy and modes of travel, do you choose one planet or use multiple? If only one, how do you strand people in a singular location when you have ships capable of jumping to hyperspace? I'm sure I could figure it out easily enough though. After all, if Vader and Palpatine can be stranded on a planet (that's the concept of Lords of the Sith), I'm sure ordinary people can be as well. Having multiple planets would be interesting, but I don't see how that would work in the context of a game of mafia.

You simply do it within a ship. Go 5th Element on it as well. We all "won" a trip to some resort planet, got picked up by a luxury ship, and now the pilot(host of the game) is dead, and the warp drive and comm systems are sabotaged. Some people are Hutt assassins, some people are their targets, and the rest are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That said, I still generally prefer the two traditional formats of Werewolf and Mafia, but I'll play anything.

MattyG

Banned
You simply do it within a ship. Go 5th Element on it as well. We all "won" a trip to some resort planet, got picked up by a luxury ship, and now the pilot(host of the game) is dead, and the warp drive and comm systems are sabotaged. Some people are Hutt assassins, some people are their targets, and the rest are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That said, I still generally prefer the two traditional formats of Werewolf and Mafia, but I'll play anything.
That's good. That's damn good.

If people want to do traditional werewolf or mafia though, I'm down with that. Just let me know.

At the end of the day, the flavor posts are just that, flavor. They don't need to fit in any sort of canon, it's ultimately dressing for the game itself. So go wild with whatever context you need for the game.

MattyG

Banned
The theme I want is America's Next Top Model.

But I'll go with whatever.
tumblr_lov14mgBBl1qhxr17o1_250.gif

Palmer_v1

Since we have a few people talking about hosting a new game, and with Crab currently MIA, here's a few questions that seem important:

1. Was 27 players too many or too few players? I personally wouldn't want to go much larger, but I was alright with the player count.

2. Do we have enough return players(and a few strays like OceanicAir) to simply start a new game? Maybe half of us have explicitly said we would play again.

3. If we need to recruit, should a new thread be created in Off-topic for recruitment purposes? By whom?

4. Who is willing and qualified to host the next game? Of those candidates, who do we pick? I'm inclined to let Crab pass the torch however he desires, assuming he doesn't want to run the next game himself. If this becomes a permanent GAF thing, we can make a rotation of hosts more codified.

5. Should any of Crab's framework of rules be reconsidered? i.e. we already shortened the Day phases. We might need a blurb on whether we should or should not continue posting after a Majority vote has been reached, after a Day has ended with no majority, after somebody uses a daytime command that Crab hasn't resolved(MattyG or Barrylocke), Ghost Trolling, etc. Other things are up to host's preference, i.e. do we know what roles exist, how many mafia vs town vs neutral. For the posting bit, I don't personally think it caused any problems. It was entertaining to see stuff like LoC's tirade after he got lynched. There is potential for trouble, though.

6. Seriously, who killed Crab? I blame Kabouter.

MattyG

Banned
Since we have a few people talking about hosting a new game, and with Crab currently MIA, here's a few questions that seem important:

1. Was 27 players too many or too few players? I personally wouldn't want to go much larger, but I was alright with the player count.

2. Do we have enough return players(and a few strays like OceanicAir) to simply start a new game? Maybe half of us have explicitly said we would play again.

3. If we need to recruit, should a new thread be created in Off-topic for recruitment purposes? By whom?

4. Who is willing and qualified to host the next game? Of those candidates, who do we pick? I'm inclined to let Crab pass the torch however he desires, assuming he doesn't want to run the next game himself. If this becomes a permanent GAF thing, we can make a rotation of hosts more codified.

5. Should any of Crab's framework of rules be reconsidered? i.e. we already shortened the Day phases. We might need a blurb on whether we should or should not continue posting after a Majority vote has been reached, after a Day has ended with no majority, after somebody uses a daytime command that Crab hasn't resolved(MattyG or Barrylocke), Ghost Trolling, etc. Other things are up to host's preference, i.e. do we know what roles exist, how many mafia vs town vs neutral. For the posting bit, I don't personally think it caused any problems. It was entertaining to see stuff like LoC's tirade after he got lynched. There is potential for trouble, though.

1. I think 27 was a fine amount. Many more and it would be harder to keep track of than it already was, and I'm sure there'd be a higher chance of getting people who wouldn't participate.

2. We probably do. Whoever does the next round could send out a mass PM and find out who wants in again, since a lot of people probably stopped monitoring the thread when they were killed.

3. Probably. Whoever we decide will run next round should make it.

4. Either Crab should decide or we should vote. Like I've said, I'd do it, but only if everyone agrees on it. That's only if Crab wants a break. If he wants to carry on, that would be great because he's an excellent host.

5. I can't think of any rules changes that we need that haven't already been made off the top of my head. I'll think about it.

The Suited Man did it.

The biggest thing with getting a good game to run is balance. It's the one thing about running a game that I'd be worried about and have to account for. I can come up with a scenario off the bat (even if it's a fairly generic one) but you really want to make sure you don't go too crazy with roles and make the towns or the mafia too strong.

MattyG

Banned
The biggest thing with getting a good game to run is balance. It's the one thing about running a game that I'd be worried about and have to account for. I can come up with a scenario off the bat (even if it's a fairly generic one) but you really want to make sure you don't go too crazy with roles and make the towns or the mafia too strong.
This is pretty much the only thing I'm worried about. I'd love to run it, but I wouldn't want to let everyone down by choosing roles poorly and throwing everything off.

If we have multiple people interested though, we could make a queue and just either do random drawings or go in a certain order.
Nobody take my Star Wars theme if you go before me. IT'S MINE.

I'm a bit late to the celebration party, but good job everyone. It's a bit funny reading through the Mafia messages and seeing them just as confused as everyone else. Mega thanks to Crab for hosting it all, couldn't have been easy.

Looking forward to see all of Quantumbro switches.

Here they are if you can believe me...
Night 1: SWITCH: Timeaisis and nin1000
Night 2: SWITCH: Timeasis and Karkador
Night 3: Switch: Kalor and Ward
Night 4: SWITCH: Amir0x and traube
Night 5: Switch: Karkador and traube
Night 6: Switch: RobotNinjaHornets and AbsolutBro
I forget who I switched on Night 7 since we didn't PM Crab.

1. It turned out alright in the end. Maybe give the Mafia side one more person since the town won pretty easy this time.

2. I'm in for another game and I have a friend on here who'd be interested in joining if we have the room. We want to have more than we need in case we have to replace someone.

3. Someone could just bumb the old thread.

4. I don't know if I would want to host, but I'd probably make it a Twin Peaks or Pynchon themed game.

5. I think the 96 hour days and the 72 hour nights worked well, just need to make sure that everyone sticks to them. Not knowing any of the roles and number of mafia was more fun since you always had to guess. Only suggestion I have is starting the game on Night 1 instead of Day 1.

So here's a controversial idea. If we start a new game fairly soon, maybe when we should have a 12 or 24 hour period where only people who weren't in the last game can sign up to get new people who think it seems interesting to give it a shot. Then after that open the remainder of the slots for everyone.

pants

I think multiple games should be run not just one (if interest is high enough). I'd want to play a more compressed version of the game with themes like star wars, comics etc but with 20 players and phases that last no longer than 48 hours.

It could also be the ODI to this game's test match

MattyG

Banned
I think multiple games should be run not just one (if interest is high enough). I'd want to play a more compressed version of the game with themes like star wars, comics etc but with 20 players and phases that last no longer than 48 hours.

This. I'd also love to keep playing with most of our original group (I'd obviously welcome new players though!)

And the shorter phases would probably work well. The thread got a little dead sometimes, and I think shorter phases might encourage more participation.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Just a suggestion, but if there's a lot of interest, you could always do multi-ball. It could be Mafia vs Town Vs Yakuza, or something to that effect.

Timeaisis

I think for the next game we should have the following set-up:

1/3 Switchers
1/3 Sleepwalkers
1/3 Roleblockers

EDIT: I forgot we need at least one Tracker and one Watcher in there for mass confusion.

Palmer_v1

I was thinking simultaneous games might be possible as well. It feels like we'd easily hit 30 players between old and new recruits. Split into two 15+ player games could work.

My only concern with that, and barry's idea(which sounds like it MIGHT exclude current players?), is that you might lose some of the familiarity you develop with recurring players. Frankly, games run much smoother and faster that way.

Palmer_v1

Multiple games at the same time? That sounds confusing. Count me in. :D

Not quite what you think. It would be totally separate players in each game. No real overlap, normally.

I think for the next game we should have the following set-up:

1/3 Switchers
1/3 Sleepwalkers
1/3 Roleblockers

Nothing but generic town. No mafia, no killers. We slowly lynch each other to death in some perverted popularity contest.

Top Bottom