• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia |OT| When Death is on the Line

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

ultron87

Yay. Good job all. It was pretty fun.

Looking back, you guys think I should have just revealed all the names I had right away? It turns out when I role claimed I knew 2 mafia, the serial killer, the doctor and the switcher. So it would've been revealing more non town roles and fully half the Mafia. Though that seemed terrifically lucky and a reveal could've gone pretty bad in other situations/game setups. And revealing the doctor would not have been ideal.

I definitely shouldve been taking more notes at points and keeping a running tally of what I thought of everyone. I probably wouldn't have saved Hornets had I thought more on it. But it was a pretty tense situation, lol.

Karkador

Banned
THAT WAS HARD. Congrats to Town on the win!

I feel like I could write a book about all the things I went through in this eternal game.
Thanks, Crab, for the special mention. You ran a good game.

So let me address a few things from my end:

The Doctor roleclaim - Not at all part of the plan! I had to improvise the craziest string of lies on my end when ultron would not quit with the accusations, AND had some evidence against me. If nothing else, I was pretty good at spinning a story under pressure.

There is truth in a lie, and my tactic was to say "yes, ultron is right", and try to base as much of my lies in facts. I defended ultron so much because I felt that for him to say I was lying was to discredit himself, too.

The good thing is that since I was neutral, I was completely comfortable with joining Town in Mafia-hunting, which probably bought me some time.

I would tell my girlfriend about how Mafia was going, and every time she'd just shake her head and say "you're going to get killed, and I'm gonna laugh".

Mistakes made - Despite Crab saying I was "almost too good", I was actually just about the worst at picking the right person to die! I'm just imagining Crab laughing as I sent him the command to target (twice!) the damn Doctor, completely undoing my own roleclaim.

If it wasn't that, it was a knack for targeting protected people - or trying to cast suspicion on El Topo, who happened to have a very prominent player as his Lover and guaranteed alibi.

I mean, most of the game was me reacting to how much worse the situation was getting (and most of it was my own fault).

Coming out as a Serial Killer - It was a lot of fun, but I was afraid that players would think I was throwing in the towel and giving the game away, but I eventually came up with a plan to keep it going and try to win.

It was a long, long road to try to win. I had to figure out a way to stay on Town's good side while trying to get both sides to kill each other at a pretty even pace. I would have liked for a Mafia player to die earlier, but when that window of opportunity came and went, I got a little desperate, and just wanted Mafia to die.

Ultimately, in lieu of finishing as a complete asshole to everyone, my goal was to make the game fun and hopefully, most of you not hating me, lol.

There really was an urge, more than once, to resign and ask Crab to find someone else to fill in for me. The pressure to hold up a lie online for MONTHS, and see some of y'all in other threads, and feel those eyes on me like "that Karkador piece of shit motherfucker god damn..."

Palmer_v1

Aww, no special mention for me?

I thought I did well in playing so pro-town that not even Staydead's role reveal was enough for people to distrust me! I was pretty dead on about the number of roles, etc. Haven't read the Mafia thread yet, but I honestly expected to die long ago, since it seemed clear town was not going to mis-lynch me. I'm still not sure why they killed some of the people they did, instead of people like MattyG and me.

I felt like Ultron was the best power role, overall. Turned out pretty crucial. Timeasis was my favorite non-power role. I mostly trusted him the whole game, which turned out to be well founded. I had no idea about the loves. I think I joked about about that existing, but didn't really expect it.

I thought Karkador played the most amusing game overall, though.

Any comments on my confession PMs, Crab? I could not keep it all bottled up.

Palmer_v1

all my gut feelings failed me

Yo! Sorry I picked on you at the start. You were probably my biggest mistake.

Edit: Hey, we can edit now!

That was fun. Keeping Karkador around was pretty useful.

If there's another mafia signup thread in the OT, I'll definitely join!

lol

I'm amazed I didn't end up lynched. I don't think I was very helpful at all for most of the game. I was basically just cruising along, trying not to piss off mafia. Although for a while, Palmer seemed pretty certain I was scummy. His suspicions pushed me to be a little more proactive.

To be fair, LoC and RNH was both very low post counts, and I really did expect some of the Mafia to be in that group. You did what I was hoping would happen, post more. Which ended up being pretty crucial when you found the RNH/Traube link. I never meant to actually attack anyone about their posting habits, but I do prefer to see more participation overall, and if it shakes something loose as well, that's awesome.

Double edit: And I told you guys I was just a sleepwalker!

Triple edit: From the Lovers thread, El Topo:
I think I'll vote next. I'm also highly sceptical about Palmer. He lied and pulled the same shit that RNH did. There's no way we have two sleepwalker, is there?

That said, Karkador next. So tired of his shit.

Just amused me. The lovers really went back and forth on trusting me at the end of the game. They also thought I was the Cop for a while! Seemed very well played by you guys, never drawing enough attention to get either of you killed.

Timeaisis

Aww, no special mention for me?

I dunno why, but I latched on to you from the start of the game as town and went from there. Whenever I thought of a regular townie, I pictured you, and used that to help define what I thought would be in the town's best interest. Also, thanks for backing me up. I felt we had others backs a lot and it went a long way. You played very pro town and didn't bandwagon, which I can't say the same for myself. :p

Ultron was my mvp for sure, though. He had good info and used it well, calling out players when he needed it.

Kingkitty and Zipperpinhead really came out at the end with some great analysis and smart plays. I gotta admit kingkittys analysis of RNH really set gears in motion for myself and a lot of people.

Kark, you sly bastard you. I loved everything you did, and enjoyed your every one of your posts.

Traube, you were damn clever in the end there. Almost convinced people you weren't scum. :p

Palmer_v1

To be fair, LoC and RNH was both very low post counts, and I really did expect some of the Mafia to be in that group. You did what I was hoping would happen, post more. Which ended up being pretty crucial when you found the RNH/Traube link. I never meant to actually attack anyone about their posting habits, but I do prefer to see more participation overall, and if it shakes something loose as well, that's awesome.

Just amused me. The lovers really went back and forth on trusting me at the end of the game. They also thought I was the Cop for a while! Seemed very well played by you guys, never drawing enough attention to get either of you killed.

Quadruple edit: Good fucking lord, the mafia thread wanted me dead pretty hard on Night 1/2. Still reading, and unsure so far of why I survived so long.

Palmer_v1

Also, how the fuck did I live so long, looking at the mafia thread lol.

That's what i'm saying! They even called us the unholy trio! How did I not get MVP when I apparently got them to waste a ton of power role usage on me!

If we dont go with Palmer, I'm good with traube's plan of trying to cast doubt on the unholy trio since they blitzed egruntz

Also, how the fuck did I live so long, looking at the mafia thread lol.

Homestly even though you posted a lot I never felt you were a threat. You never really attacked anyone, and I 'knew' you didn't have an active.

FYI Starting the night Ultron was blocked we kinda switched our MO to sniffing out active roled players with my ability. Mouthy players were no longer a priority.

Mafia Kill list For reference
Night 1- Barry
Night 2- Duress
Night 3- Kalor
Night 4- Karkador
Night 5 - Ultron
Night 6 - Nin1000
Night 7 - Quantumbro
Night 8 - Staydead
Night 9 - Ultron

tbh i still thought you were mafia till the end lol

This game has been a ton of fun for the last few months.

I gotta give it up for my partner in all of this El Topo. He called it weeks ago with robotnninjahornets and then lord of castemere. All I got was a very unhealthy obsession with traube after the no kill night.

To each of you, I hope that if we do this again we can come back. For a while I was sure about a mafia win, but karkador got the ball moving and it never really stopped.

And finally, a humongous thank you to Crab! Throughout weeks of gameplay, a neogaf ban, I'm sure a ton of prods, the ghost invasion, and monitoring three message boards you brought us a great narrative, a ton of fun, and a new perspective when I see players in other threads (to this day when I see Amir0x in threads I feel terrible and want to apologize)

Palmer_v1

The sleepwalkers threw the Mafia off a LOT. They wasted 3 or 4 nights worth of blocks on me, and a night kill on Staydead(they thought he was cop when he got caught targeting someone by LoC). In hindsight, my initial role reveal helped mafia more than town, though I didn't know that at the time. Opinions on that?

My eventual fake role claim also threw them into a panic for a bit, though they were smart enough to see my goal of getting killed while Ultron watched me that night. I still think that whole lie was worth the effort. I assume Ultron understood the general gist of it, since he didn't ask me to role claim specifically.

Crab, did you expect that to be the result of including that role twice?

adRz2sn.png

The final wall of shame, btw.

The sleepwalkers threw the Mafia off a LOT. They wasted 3 or 4 nights worth of blocks on me, and a night kill on Staydead(they thought he was cop when he got caught targeting someone by LoC). In hindsight, my initial role reveal helped mafia more than town, though I didn't know that at the time. Opinions on that?

Yeah we got unlucky there. If I had targeted anyone else Night 1 or if we had just killed every roled player I sniffed out the game would been completely different. Crab must have had a long giggle at our happiness when I got my positive result from targeting you.

Palmer_v1

Crab, did you PM all the dead? They may not be watching thread subscriptions for this any more.

Yeah we got unlucky there. If I had targeted anyone else Night 1 or if we had just killed every roled player I sniffed out the game would been completely different. Crab must have had a long giggle at our happiness when I got my positive result from targeting you.

I'm not sure it would have gone any better for you, though. If I died Night 2, Ultron could probably have inferred a lot from that death after he saw you visit me Night 1. I think it might have led to some earlier role claims and probably your an earlier death for you.

Sorta funny looking back now, cause we could have just killed Traube and let Karkador live as part of some weird pact.

nin1000

Banned
Yes! Good job everyone! I still fucking hate you karkador Haha that doc roleclaim was genius, as i wanted to keep on laying low and not come out and say that I was the doc in the game. But damn, I was several times so close to post a OBJECTION! Picture and throw you under the bus. Well played kark. Very well played sir. :D

Palmer_v1

Yay. Good job all. It was pretty fun.

Looking back, you guys think I should have just revealed all the names I had right away? It turns out when I role claimed I knew 2 mafia, the serial killer, the doctor and the switcher. So it would've been revealing more non town roles and fully half the Mafia. Though that seemed terrifically lucky and a reveal could've gone pretty bad in other situations/game setups. And revealing the doctor would not have been ideal.

I definitely shouldve been taking more notes at points and keeping a running tally of what I thought of everyone. I probably wouldn't have saved Hornets had I thought more on it. But it was a pretty tense situation, lol.

In hindsight, it probably would have been better to reveal it all. Not including yours, we had 7 roles that targeted every night, plus the mafia kill and Johnny's one shot kill. Two of those were fake out sleepwalkers. We had no way to know for sure that you had caught the majority of the important roles in the first few nights.

I think it would have become a power role bloodbath leaving all the normals to figure the rest out.

nin1000

Banned
I dont kno why Palmer but you always gave me those mafia vibes :D
a guy who postst that much could never be on the side of the good guys.
Guess i was wrong ^^

CzarTim

Just wanted to say I had a lot of fun watching this game as an observer. Really thought mafia was going to win for a while there, nice job townies!

That's one of the main reasons I never pushed to kill Palmer. He kept making accusations, but none ever really stuck. The town wasn't listening to him, until Rembrandt. Though Traube was worried he lied about being a sleepwalker, he was always a lower threat priority in my eyes. Like I said, Night 4 forced us to damage control the Ultron fallout, and caused us to start killing players i was catching with my ability. We choose to be a tad more proactive.

nin1000

Banned
That's one of the main reasons I never pushed to kill Palmer. He kept making accusations, but none ever really stuck. The town wasn't listening to him, until Rembrandt. Though Traube was worried he lied about being a sleepwalker, he was always a lower threat priority in my eyes. Like I said, Night 4 forced us to damage control the Ultron fallout, and caused us to start killing players i was catching with my ability. We choose to be a tad more proactive.

Well played Lord, well played.
well_done_sir.gif

I'm very curious to see all the actions on night 7. RHN should have blocked Karkador from killing Pants.

Did Quantumbro switch Karkador with someone else? I assume Karkador was blockable considering Nin didn't die on Night 5.

I'm very curious to see all the actions on night 7. RHN should have blocked Karkador from killing Pants.

Did Quantumbro switch Karkador with someone else? I assume Karkador was blockable considering Nin didn't die on Night 5.

Oh yeah, what the fuck happened here?

Also, JESUS CHRIST THIS WAS STRESSFUL. You townies had it easy. The last minute save I made for myself legit had me super on edge.

Dead
Barrylocke the Old Colonel [killed Night 1]
egruntz the Ordinary Tourist [1 prod] [lynched Day 2]
Duress the Real Tough Guy [killed Night 2]
johnnyquicknives the God-fearing American [lynched Day 3]
Foshy the Ordinary Tourist [killed Night 3]
Ward the Ordinary Tourist [killed Night 3]
Kalor the Ordinary Tourist [lynched Day 4]
irfanaator the Ordinary Tourist [killed Night 4]
Amir0x the Ordinary Tourist [lynched Day 5]
nin1000 the Medical Student [killed Night 6]
Rembrandt the Ordinary Tourist [lynched Day 7]

Boy, did that streak have me worried!

Would be interesting to go back to the early votes and see how many/if they were orchestrated by Mafia members.

It's been really fun, sorry I didn't post as much as others - but I was really stumped! The early votes made me suspicious of several players who would end up being Town.

I'd be happy to give running a game a go if Crab wants to take part in one. Don't know all the extra roles quite as well (games I've played in the past, despite having similar numbers, haven't been nearly as complex) but nothing that can't be read up on if there's no one else willing!

Yay! Thanks Crab for running this, and all my townie allies for putting up with my infrequent posting.

Also holy crap am I bad at this, between my suspicions of Palmer and defending Traube, I can see why people thought I might be mafia!

BTW we totally kllled Duress to put a target on your back.

Haha I was sure of that at the time, since I was the target it seemed incredibly obvious to me, but when you're the accused theres really no good way to defend yourself, especially that early in the game.
I kind of knew during egruntz-gate that being so vocal so early was going to be a risk.

nin1000

Banned
Haha I was sure of that at the time, since I was the target it seemed incredibly obvious to me, but when you're the accused theres really no good way to defend yourself, especially that early in the game.
I kind of knew during egruntz-gate that being so vocal so early was going to be a risk.

I am so fucking sorry Johnnyquickknives, i feel that i was the one who got the ball rolling on you mate :( it was nothing personal

El Topo

Here's the thing: You did a great job, yet you survived, which made you even more suspicious when the other sleepwalker appeared. As the game went on, basically everyone became suspicious, either because they did a good job and survived, or because they did basically nothing (which is the easiest cover for a mafia). Pretty sure everyone got accused in our discussion sooner or later. I think only after RNH came up with an updated list did we get an immediate roadmap (first RNH, then traube).

I think one of the more amusing (pointless) speculation we had was because of the following post.

I didn't have much of a strategy for last night. I looked at El Topo but no one targeted them. Can't all be slam dunks.

This post really threw me off, because I feared that he might actually know our role/predicament. Obviously in hindsight it was nothing.

ultron87

Lol. Yeah, that was just me not using a gendered pronoun when I wasn't sure. Though I suppose the "El" could let me make a reasonable assumption. :p

One interesting thing is that we somewhat lucked into getting Lord of Castemere to make that mistake. The tipping point for me revealing his name and forcing the role claim was that I got blocked on two separate nights after targeting him. I assumed it was a function of being some sort of immune Mafia role, but it turns out they just happened to block me separately on those two nights. I probably would've revealed it that day anyway with some convincing, but that coincidence made it way easier.

Zatoth

Game was a lot of fun.

@Karkador: Maybe I am missing something, but you did target El Topo twice, before you got lynched, right?

First time you got blocked by RHN, but how did he survive the second attack?

I think it was a good idea to reduce the day phase down to only four days. Imho there was too much idle time during the day phases.

Should you run a second round, crab, I'd suggest to stick with 4 day phases.

I am so fucking sorry Johnnyquickknives, i feel that i was the one who got the ball rolling on you mate :( it was nothing personal

Don't sweat it, like I said I feel I really set it into motion myself, and I definitely threw some accusations your way as well!

Also when I made the "That's what happens when you vote for me!" post I probably should have thought about how much scrutiny I was putting into other peoples posts and thought about how that would look. Hindsights 20-20 though eh? I'll play better next time!

Palmer_v1

Just wanted to say I had a lot of fun watching this game as an observer. Really thought mafia was going to win for a while there, nice job townies!

Join us for the next game! I wonder how many repeat players we'll get. I definitely want to play again. (Predicting Day 3 Lynch this time)

Palmer_v1

Here's the thing: You did a great job, yet you survived, which made you even more suspicious when the other sleepwalker appeared. As the game went on, basically everyone became suspicious, either because they did a good job and survived, or because they did basically nothing (which is the easiest cover for a mafia). Pretty sure everyone got accused in our discussion sooner or later. I think only after RNH came up with an updated list did we get an immediate roadmap (first RNH, then traube).

I think one of the more amusing (pointless) speculation we had was because of the following post.

This post really threw me off, because I feared that he might actually know our role/predicament. Obviously in hindsight it was nothing.

I'm still pretty surprised nobody really tried to go after me when Staydead was revealed. I thought I was doomed. Either Town would think I was lying and go for a Lynch(Only Karkador tried, and I'm pretty certain it was only to try and make me role claim. Confirm Kark?), or Mafia was going to assume I had an actual power role and kill/block me. This is the PM I sent to Crab that day, as I started my fake role claim attempt.

Two Sleepwalkers? You sick bastard! Ironically, I was considering lying about my role to draw heat away from other tourists, so I'm just running with it now. I have to confess all of this to SOMEONE.

My plan is to semi-blindly threaten two people with night kills. If I'm at all correct, the Mafia will kill me tonight before anything can happen. Hopefully the tourists will be smart enough to read into my bluff once they see my actual role.

If they DON'T kill me, I'm more inclined to trust whoever I was threatening. The wildcard is Karkador, and whoever else might be able to role block or stop deaths.

Anyway, sending this or posterity in case any of it works. I have no idea how well I'm actually playing this game. Did you make a separate forum for the dead to talk?

So yeah. As the only Town player that ever really tried a fake role claim, I'm not sure if it was worth it overall. It ultimately had no real impact cause the Mafia didn't go for it. I think I made it too obvious that I wanted Mafia to target me. Ultron was playing well enough, I probably could have gone simpler, and trust that he would target me. We had no way to know they had a second blocker at that point though. Based only on what information I had at the time though, what do people think of that whole thing overall?

Lol. Yeah, that was just me not using a gendered pronoun when I wasn't sure. Though I suppose the "El" could let me make a reasonable assumption. :p

One interesting thing is that we somewhat lucked into getting Lord of Castemere to make that mistake. The tipping point for me revealing his name and forcing the role claim was that I got blocked on two separate nights after targeting him. I assumed it was a function of being some sort of immune Mafia role, but it turns out they just happened to block me separately on those two nights. I probably would've revealed it that day anyway with some convincing, but that coincidence made it way easier.

Reading the Mafia forum, LoC was pretty stressed from the moment you revealed your partial list. As he's said, that was easily the most unlucky night for Mafia. "Catching" a fake role, and getting caught by you doing it.

nin1000

Banned

I just find it interesting that you got the information about me being a doctor and knowing aswell that Karkador was the killer but still not spilling the beans :D.
I was shitting my pants aswell as i knew you knew that i was the doc and Kark knew he was not the doc and me being the doc not revealing myself to the crowd lol.

As quantum stated the day before that he was a power role, this means that Karkador could either be the mentioned doc or a mafia role. Since there were 3 persons looking into timeasis,this got a lot more interesting! "

That was me trying to say " HEY GUYS THIS GUY IS LYING" :D

It does warm my a heart a little to know that one of my suspicion paths (the mass no lynch vote on day 1) was apperently right for a couple of mafia (And contributed to me being seen as an early threat). Im not sure how far I would have followed that thread if I had stayed alive though. I also note that my biggest early suspicion (Foshy) turned out to be pretty wrong. I have no regrets on pursuing a lynch for him though. I just need to remember to be flexibile in future games so that I can be open to new information that presents itself.

Regarding being the first to go, I anticipated this once I became the biggest pot stirrer of the first Day. It was obvious that the mafia wanted to coast through the first day and lay low to build relationships, and my thought process was that people needed to get heat under their butts quickly. Even if they were innocent, it could lead to other mafia taking actions that other townies notice. I figured that if my death led to conversations and people taking action, then it was worth it. Im not sure how successful that was with how long it took to get a kill (I was getting REALLY worried by Amirox's death), but I stand by it. It was fun working alongside Timeasis for a brief bit since he seemed to be somewhat likeminded with me in terms of playstyle. I'm not gonna lie though, a part of me imagined a crazy scenario where Timeasis was playing puppemaster all along.

I played like a vanilla because in my mind my power wasn't that powerful. The ability to control the lynch is one that required me to be aggressive in looking for info at least, and there was no way I could feel comfortable using that power in the first few days. Perhaps if I had a night role I would have been more conservative, but then again maybe not.

Overall, I had fun watching it all go down. I eventually stopped keeping super close tabs but I still watched the overview of stuff and did a little bit of back research to see if a couple people were being consistent. The biggest nailbiter was RNHs save. I was freaking out wondering how the hell the town was buying such a BS explanation in the final minutes of the day...only to turn around and think RNH really was an innocent, (albeit busy) town role on his lynch day. So I'll give the mafia major props for fooling me with that.

I look forward to the next one. I've played around with the idea of forming a game, but Ive never been a mafia game creator so Id need to take the time to get good balance and a fun scenario, so no promises any time soon. But I'll keep an eye out and am totally down to play again.

Karkador

Banned
@Karkador: Maybe I am missing something, but you did target El Topo twice, before you got lynched, right?

First time you got blocked by RHN, but how did he survive the second attack?

I lied. It was supposed to look like I meant El Topo. I wanted to get another town lynched.

The mystery name I was guarding, the person I attacked twice, the one that I said "could confirm the role of whoever stopped the kill", was none other than ultron, who did not survive the second attempt.

You would have all insta-lynched me if I just admitted that one..

Zatoth

I lied. It was supposed to look like I meant El Topo. I wanted to get another town lynched.

The mystery name I was guarding, the person I attacked twice, the one that I said "could confirm the role of whoever stopped the kill", was none other than ultron, who did not survive the second attempt.

You would have all insta-lynched me if I just admitted that one..

Ah crap. So I "wasted" my kill by picking the same target. :D

The biggest nailbiter was RNHs save. I was freaking out wondering how the hell the town was buying such a BS explanation in the final minutes of the day...only to turn around and think RNH really was an innocent, (albeit busy) town role on his lynch day. So I'll give the mafia major props for fooling me with that.

That was my highlight of the game. Still can't believe that we pulled that off.

ultron87

I just find it interesting that you got the information about me being a doctor and knowing aswell that Karkador was the killer but still not spilling the beans :D.
I was shitting my pants aswell as i knew you knew that i was the doc and Kark knew he was not the doc and me being the doc not revealing myself to the crowd lol.

That was me trying to say " HEY GUYS THIS GUY IS LYING" :D

Remember that I didn't know anything specific about the roles. Just that all three of you could target people.

Palmer_v1

Well I also picked ultron because I figured mafia would, too, and that could help pass off some of the blame on me (and I guess it did)

Fuck me, I totally thought one of you was just getting blocked. I'm not sure I ever considered there could be 1 death because you targeted the same person. Did anyone bring that up?

Top Bottom