• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Flame_AC

I've read both the entire AC and Star Wars Mafia and must say I've enjoyed the Star Wars insanity much more. Also, can someone put me on the sign-up/waitlist. Thanks.

Cheers Guys!

I'd mostly like to thank exmachina and QuantumBro for doing my entire job for me!

And apologise to Terra for getting him killed :'(

First Hutt down as well. It's a good day here, time to go and catch up on Devillage Ass for sure.

Makai

JCUDLl6.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
@Crab & Co: Do you know other places besides wiki.mafiascum.net with templates to build a game?

Heh, are you running for moderator next round?

Mafiascum is basically the best resource on the net I know of. It's not something it's very easy to write about; most of design you learn through having fucked up before. Smogon and xkcd forums both have big mafia communities, they might have stickies there if you have a search.

Karkador

Banned
@Crab & Co: Do you know other places besides wiki.mafiascum.net with templates to build a game?

While that site doesn't have the most comprehensive listing of roles that have ever been conceived for these games, it has the most insightful descriptions for the roles they do have. It helps for avoiding some problems that might come up with certain roles.

Zatoth

Mafiascum is basically the best resource on the net I know of. It's not something it's very easy to write about; most of design you learn through having fucked up before. Smogon and xkcd forums both have big mafia communities, they might have stickies there if you have a search.

Thanks. Will check that out. I am having an idea. Not sure if and how it will work. But I am thinking about it.

And thanks for your pm, Kark.

I'd like to put my name down for moderating as well, but I'll concede it if there are some people feeling really passionate about doing it; even though I really want to, I'm fine just playing next season.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to put my name down for moderating as well, but I'll concede it if there are some people feeling really passionate about doing it; even though I really want to, I'm fine just playing next season.

I imagine we'll get enough people to run at least 3 games, with some luck. That's 3 moderators, easily.

Karkador

Banned
I'd love to try running a smaller, more experimental game next time

Of course, I also have my duty to teach the next generation

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
If there is room I definitely want to mod a game, I've already got most of the roles I want to use planned out. The only problem would be that it would have to be a bigger game by design.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
I can only imagine what kind of cluster the first few days would be... sounds fun!

SalvaPot

I have a small fast game I want to host. Clan Wars.

20 players. 4 teams. Each team has 5 members.

Investigator: Can check the role of one member each night.
Assassin: Can kill one person each night.
Saboteur: Can distract one person each night, making their role useless for that night.
Bodyguard: Can protect one person each night.
Leader: His vote counts by 2.

The catch is that no one know who his teammate is at the start of the game and the tension is figuring out who your teammates are and to screw the other teams over, a fast paced game where everyone is scum and alliances are made between enemies to survive.

This may end up being one of those "we won't know until we try it", but having so many players could backfire on us - there could be even more inactives, there'll be more "waiting to see what they say". It might be a cluster in the worst way.

Palmer_v1

I think it's better to play a few more relatively normal games before we get crazy. A lot of people don't even seem to understand some of the basic concepts yet.

Makai

Saboteur: Can distract one person each night, making their role useless for that night.

The catch is that no one know who his teammate is at the start of the game and the tension is figuring out who your teammates are and to screw the other teams over, a fast paced game where everyone is scum and alliances are made between enemies to survive.
So, Naruto themed.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
This may end up being one of those "we won't know until we try it", but having so many players could backfire on us - there could be even more inactives, there'll be more "waiting to see what they say". It might be a cluster in the worst way.
The size for my game is honestly only a balancing issue. If it wasn't the game could end REALLY quick, and a couple of roles might not get to be fully explored.

Darryl

Banned
I wanna get in with whoever wants to setup a Final Fantasy one. Lots of potential for roles and it'll be hilarious because the town will end up being the bad guys. Moral conflicts abound.

squidyj

......i don't even understand how that would work, how would anyone ever be able to figure out that they are on the same team?

If we're doing 'other' game modes I'd be down for some Resistance. love the strategizing in that game.

For those who aren't familiar in resistance you have 'the resistance' and 'spies' (very suited to a star wars theme amongst others). Every 'day' there's a new leader of the game and the leader has to nominate a group of people to go on a mission, once nominated all of the players except the leader vote on whether or not they want to send that group on the mission. If they decide not to send that group control passes to the next leader who nominates a new group for the same mission, if too many mission teams are rejected it is counted as a failure. On a mission each member sends pass or fail secretly to the mod, resistance members can only send pass whereas spies can send either pass or fail(generally, you can have specific missions require double failure). A mission fails if a single member of the team 'votes' to fail it, the votes are then revealed at the beginning of the next day phase (not who voted what of course, but the number of passes and fails). Each successive mission generally requires more people for the mission team. Spies win when they cause enough failed missions and resistance wins by succeeding that number of missions.

Personally, there's only a few themes I can picture and wrap my head around. Anything else, I'll leave in the hands of others. Animal Crossing was probably the furthest theme from my mind, but goddamn it if Kark didn't make it a kick ass experience.

SalvaPot

......i don't even understand how that would work, how would anyone ever be able to figure out that they are on the same team?

The investigator has the duty to figure out who their teammates are and finding them. You can also claim the team you belong to and have your other teammates claim their roles to you. Of course, they can lie about it, so its going to be hard to figure out who you can trust and who you can´t.

Kevyt

Sign me up! I wanna play! (And hopefully make it past Day 2 :p)

squidyj

The investigator has the duty to figure out who their teammates are and finding them. You can also claim the team you belong to and have your other teammates claim their roles to you. Of course, they can lie about it, so its going to be hard to figure out who you can trust and who you can´t.

the investigator gets back team alignment?

kingkitty

my theme would be Salem Witch Trials.

we spend 20 days slaughtering innocents, one by one, trying to find the witch.

everyone's role is ordinary townie.

Zatoth

I think it's better to play a few more relatively normal games before we get crazy. A lot of people don't even seem to understand some of the basic concepts yet.

I agree. I'd assume that balancing becomes very difficult with complex settings. Don't think my idea should be too crazy.

Palmer_v1

I agree. I'd assume that balancing becomes very difficult with complex settings. Don't think my idea should be too crazy.

To some degree, you don't care about balance within certain themes. Role madness or bastard games. The whole point is to just see how crazy things will get. It's all for fun, after all.

At some point, we'll end up with one of those joke games where every player is the Lyncher role, or everyone is a Serial Killer, etc.

The only issue is if we continue to run games concurrently, since some will be shorter due to their nature. I don't particularly see a need to start future games at the same time though.

Ourobolus

Banned
If the assassin gets taken out, are there no night evictions? And otherwise, are there theoretically FOUR night evictions each night?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Strongly agreed. Especially considering how young a community we are and how we should keep things relatively simple to attract newbies and keep expanding.

CzarTim

The only issue is if we continue to run games concurrently, since some will be shorter due to their nature. I don't particularly see a need to start future games at the same time though.

Yep. Also wouldn't mind if the next wave of moderators started discussing their setups with kark and matty now so the turnaround is quicker.

Top Bottom