• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Vinci said:
But according to a plethora of folks earlier in this thread, people don't care about objectives or helping their squad so much as padding their k/d ratio. It makes more sense, to me at least, that by making Objectives the only route for progress you make them keenly more important than anything else. Padding your k/d ratio would be completely worthless, regardless of how effective you are at shooting people in the head, if you aren't doing so in regards to capturing or holding objectives.

What I'm saying is... Frago points are fine, as they are directly tied to active Objectives. But anything else seems like icing that doesn't necessarily feed into the point of the game.

People who go into a game like MAG worried about K/D ratios are playing the game wrong, and really there is nothing that can be done about that, people play like this for any FPS and treat is like some kind of badge of honor.

K/D rations mean nothing especially in MAG, it gets you nothing, being a team player gives you the most bonuses and benefits.

Vinci

Danish
BattleMonkey said:
People who go into a game like MAG worried about K/D ratios are playing the game wrong, and really there is nothing that can be done about that, people play like this for any FPS and treat is like some kind of badge of honor.

K/D rations mean nothing especially in MAG, it gets you nothing, being a team player gives you the most bonuses and benefits.

That's... what I said. Are you agreeing with me?

Violater

deepbrown said:
We won! =D 128 Euro journalists beat Zipper! Woo hooo!

But the same guy won two PSP's for being best player twice >_<

Nice.
I see your strategy of playing dead and running like a girl came in handy :lol

Vinci said:
That's... what I said. Are you agreeing with me?

Yes but your going to still have tons of people going into the game just disregarding this for the sole purpose of their k/d ego. I don't think any FPS will ever get players minds out of that gutter.

Vinci

Danish
BattleMonkey said:
Yes but your going to still have tons of people going into the game just disregarding this for the sole purpose of their k/d ego. I don't think any FPS will ever get players minds out of that gutter.

Probably not. But that's why you let those people buy it, find it's not what they want, and stop playing it - while those who do connect with it stick around. Thus, improving the experience for everyone playing.

Violater

BattleMonkey said:

I want it all, good KDR, frago points and the victory and I will play whichever role is necessary to achieve this.
But by far the win comes first, though it sucks when the game ends and your XP meter barely moves :lol

BattleMonkey said:
Agreed too. K/D ratios have sucked the fun out of most team modes I've played this gen. Its always the same damn thing, every time. People come up with whatever ways they can to boost their stats at the cost of having a fun time and a good matchup.

J-Rzez

Once again, perhaps it's too hard to see what snipers are doing actually, and perhaps it's that the majority are not playing the way the better team orientated one's are. I can assure you snipers can aid, or even change the tide of a battle. Even on the offensive, you're thinning numbers out for the ground pounders. You're stopping them from getting back into their base. You're getting them out of the windows or high vantage points raining grenades/lead down having the vantage point. Sure, usually the ground pounders are running into the objective, but snipers should be thinning out the numbers of the enemy before they even get there.

There are many-many games where we're on offense and I'll get 2-5 kills even before the real shooting starts. It's all how it's played, and Sniping has just as much significance as any other role, like it or not.

Violater

J-Rzez said:

No need to worry man, you will snipe and lookout and I will hunt and bring home the bacon.
Cagen will be the guy that goes in ahead of me and kills everything that moves.
Seph is the meat shield :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
Have we heard anything from the tournament/launch event yet?

Gimme my microphone bundle info dammit :mad:

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:
Have we heard anything from the tournament/launch event yet?

Gimme my microphone bundle info dammit :mad:

Just got back, and the word is nope to the UK. Mainland will get it but they have not finalised anything in the UK.

IGN raven did bad, we got our vechile stolen and then couldnt get sver's. it was rather shit because no one could hear anybody on the mic. domination against zipper devs was sweet. i took f and held it all by myself for a good 5 minutes. most of the people were first timers so we never stood a chance.

i will try and upload some pictures tomorrow.

cimg2732eq.jpg

cimg2731f.jpg

cimg2730.jpg

best steelbook i have seen for a game for a while. gonna see if there is anyone who i can actually play it with tomorrow, just happy i will be able to play it with american raven gaf from the 26th.

Arnie

J-Rzez said:
Once again, perhaps it's too hard to see what snipers are doing actually, and perhaps it's that the majority are not playing the way the better team orientated one's are. I can assure you snipers can aid, or even change the tide of a battle. Even on the offensive, you're thinning numbers out for the ground pounders. You're stopping them from getting back into their base. You're getting them out of the windows or high vantage points raining grenades/lead down having the vantage point. Sure, usually the ground pounders are running into the objective, but snipers should be thinning out the numbers of the enemy before they even get there.

There are many-many games where we're on offense and I'll get 2-5 kills even before the real shooting starts. It's all how it's played, and Sniping has just as much significance as any other role, like it or not.
Definitely agree. I remember back in the original beta, the map where Valor was attacking Raven, Raven snipers could set up in good defensive positions and dominate. That helped them stop Valor from establishing initial air support to push the line, which in tern helped them to victory.

I think Zipper have done a good job, from the limited exposure to maps I have received, in allowing snipers to have good defensible positions that really impact the games outcome. Not to mention they have allowed each level a good layer of verticality.
Kowak said:
Sexy steelbook pics
Thanks for that Kowan. Definitely going to put in an order for the steelbook tomorrow from Shopto. That should get it to me a day earlier as well. So hyped now.

Boogat

Kowak said:
Steelbook pics.
Oh man, I would LOVE to get the steelbook edition. I have found one place so far that will ship to Canada @ a decent price (it was actually a few cents cheaper than what I'm paying for the regular edition), but I'm not sure if I want to wait until mid Feb to play.

Das-J

Law of the West
deepbrown said:
We won! =D 128 Euro journalists beat Zipper! Woo hooo!

But the same guy won two PSP's for being best player twice >_<

I can't believe that multiple Gaffers were there and no one bothered to say HI! :( that is unless you unwittngly interviewed me... :lol

Kowak

Banned
Das-J said:
I can't believe that multiple Gaffers were there and no one bothered to say HI! :( that is unless you unwittngly interviewed me... :lol

where you in the zipper vs ign/eurogamer game that finished about two hours ago???

i love the steelbook i dont usually go for them but it looks so nice and would have been worthy of my money had i not gotten it for free.

oh were you actually in London? if you saw a tit with a red arsenal woolie hat that was me.

Kowak

Banned
Bleepey said:
I was there, tall black guy, black-hooded jacket, yellow top.

so you were the guy who didnt listern to me when i told you to make sure you stood by the gate to repair it.

thats the last time i take you anywhere.

deepbrown

Kowak said:
where you in the zipper vs ign/eurogamer game that finished about two hours ago???

i love the steelbook i dont usually go for them but it looks so nice and would have been worthy of my money had i not gotten it for free.

oh were you actually in London? if you saw a tit with a red arsenal woolie hat that was me.
You what? Did you all get steelbooks? They wouldn't even give any of the journalists review copies (seriously Sony sucks)

Check out this email I got from Sony today saying I should buy the official remote to play with MAG. This guy looks like he's having a blast. He's in their base killing their dudes!!

SON_Bluetooth_EM_02.jpg

Kowak

Banned
deepbrown said:
You what? Did you all get steelbooks? They wouldn't even give any of the journalists review copies (seriously Sony sucks)

yeah we all got the steelbook collectors edition, my mate Bleepey was only on the guestlist but got to play and so got a copy as well. i am not sure if it was a sony thing or ign/eurogamer giving them out to their players as we had to hand in out mag id card.

Boogat

deepbrown said:
I have a question about the reviews... How exactly is that going to work? Yeah Sony can give out review copies, but they wont exactly 'work' unless Zipper has their servers up. One of the devs on the MAG forums said that servers won't be going back up until January 25th (after the current tourny is over).

Even if the reviewers had access to private servers, there for sure wouldn't be enough people online for them to truly review the larger game modes. So does this mean reviews wont be going out until a few days after the game is released?

Kowak

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Check out this email I got from Sony today saying I should buy the official remote to play with MAG. This guy looks like he's having a blast. He's in their base killing their dudes!!

SON_Bluetooth_EM_02.jpg

the cgi dude doesnt even have his finger on the trigger or any of the buttons.

edit: bogart ther is a review embargo till the 25th.

deepbrown

Kowak said:
yeah we all got the steelbook collectors edition, my mate Bleepey was only on the guestlist but got to play and so got a copy as well. i am not sure if it was a sony thing or ign/eurogamer giving them out to their players as we had to hand in out mag id card.
Those MAG ID cards, were OUR MAG ID cards which we gave back to them.

You hear this Zipper and Sony - Review copies please?

Good for you though :)

The embargo is over on the 25th. I assume Sony knows that magazines which review an online-only game before the servers go up will be laughed at.

Kowak

Banned
deepbrown said:
Those MAG ID cards, were OUR MAG ID cards which we gave back to them.

You hear this Zipper and Sony - GIVE REVIEW COPIES TO THE JOURNALISTS WHO HAVE FOLLOWERS IN THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS, NOT JUST THE GAMERS WHO WILL TALK TO THEIR FRIENDS ABOUT IT AND WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT ANYWAY.

Good for you though :)

lol, i dont think it was sony or zipper but rather ign/eurogamer as it was part of their competition.

deepbrown

Boogat said:
I have a question about the reviews... How exactly is that going to work? Yeah Sony can give out review copies, but they wont exactly 'work' unless Zipper has their servers up. One of the devs on the MAG forums said that servers won't be going back up until January 25th (after the current tourny is over).

Even if the reviewers had access to private servers, there for sure wouldn't be enough people online for them to truly review the larger game modes. So does this mean reviews wont be going out until a few days after the game is released?
I presume it'll be based on today and the beta (for those who want to get the review out quickly)

Kowak said:
lol, i dont think it was sony or zipper but rather ign/eurogamer as it was part of their competition.

That's fine and all - but they could have saved on the postage...and with the review embargo up in 5 days, what's the point in sending them all out - we don't have the time. Odd.

Madman

Violater said:
I want it all, good KDR, frago points and the victory and I will play whichever role is necessary to achieve this.
But by far the win comes first, though it sucks when the game ends and your XP meter barely moves :lol
At the end of the last beta, I ended up getting 20 kills, 7 deaths, and over 750 exp in a round where I defended B and then C in Sabatoge. Level 11 or so at the time. So awesome.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kowak said:
Just got back, and the word is nope to the UK. Mainland will get it but they have not finalised anything in the UK.
BOOOOO!!! I hate Sony/zipper! Why do they hate UK so much?!? :""{

Click

Banned
LOL, all the people claiming K/D ratio means nothing in MAG are just being ridiculous.
It's usually what shitty players claim in all shooters.

"Hey look! I have a 5-19 record this game but I was the first MVP cuz I camped the FRAGO and was a med/revive whore! I did more to help the team than the guy who went 46-7!"

Having a good K/D ratio does mean something. It means you can kill more often than you die, which usually means you're a good player.

Being able to kill the opposing team = other team not being able to kill you and your team. It also means they have to get revived or respawn, which means less people trying to take over your objective.

Of course K/D ratio doesn't mean as much in MAG as it does in other shooters, seeing as how you can't see stats of other players or there even being a leaderboard (yet). But don't try and kid yourselves by saying it means nothing.

Violater said:

This.

Click

Banned
Kowak said:

Damn that's sexy. Did you get your copy early?
I want to get the steelbook but don't feel like paying $85+ and not have the game a week+ after it comes out (yes, my KZ2 steelbook took over a week to get to me from Shopto).

Click said:
LOL, all the people claiming K/D ratio means nothing in MAG are just being ridiculous.

"Hey look! I have a 5-19 record this game but I was the first MVP cuz I camped the FRAGO and was a med/revive whore! I did more to help the team than the guy who went 46-7!"

Having a good K/D ratio does mean something. It means you can kill more often than you die, which usually means you're a good player.

Being able to kill the opposing team = other team not being able to kill you and your team. It also means they have to get revived or respawn, which means less people trying to take over your objective.

Of course K/D ratio doesn't mean as much in MAG as it does in other shooters, seeing as how you can't see stats of other players or there even being a leaderboard (yet). But don't try and kid yourselves by saying it means nothing.

This.

Being a good player can be defined in many ways and K/D ratio is a fairly poor metric actually.

J-Rzez

UntoldDreams said:
Being a good player can be defined in many ways and K/D ratio is a fairly poor metric actually.

Not necessarily. If you're not thinning out the numbers, or have people just running in to their deaths, it accomplishes nothing. If a player is pulling some hefty KDRs here, it's obvious they're where the action is, and thus impacting it directly.

I'd take someone with a good-proven KDR any day over someone in poor numbers.

I understand you guys hate snipers since they pick you off before you're in range to do something back, but like it or not, myself for example going 35-2 is positively helping our team. Same can be said of someone like Click that has pulled off some crazy numbers for someone in the fray. People act like if you have a good KDR you're not doing what you're supposed to. Rushing a point all game long dying in a hail of fire/mines is not helping out your team.

Click said:

I have to strongly disagree as this only applies if you have a low amount of kills.
for example 22-21 (and high FRAGO exp) CAN mean you just played very aggressively in order to achieve your objectives by all means necessary. You helped way more than a 22-3 guy (possible even with low FRAGO and healing exp) who is too obsessed about his k/d ratio to participate in a clusterfuck to e.g. plant the bomb at C.

edit: This doesn't mean you should all go berserk, everyone has his playing style/role and it's important to e.g. having middle/long range teammembers picking of enemies as they have a better overview of the fight etc.

There is not even a point counter for the teams like in Battlefield conquest mode so your kills/deaths mean NOTHING in MAG as long as they didn't help getting an objective done

and yes, killing enemies around objectives obviously helps but so dies reviving because as long as you have more teammembers than enemies the chance to e.g. hold an objective is higher.

Bradach

I've put a few hours into the beta and i'm not sold. I'm a big fan of MW2 and the compared to that the controls are slow and not as responsive. Visuals are relatively poor also. It's not all bad though, might pick it up later in the year... When it's cheap.

obonicus

J-Rzez said:
I understand you guys hate snipers since they pick you off before you're in range to do something back, but like it or not, myself for example going 35-2 is positively helping our team.

The thing is, not necessarily. Let's take the following hypothetical situation:
The rest of your squad is afraid of being shot (happens a lot) and sits back, trading ineffective potshots with defenders, and you're a damned good sniper. You find a nice vantage point, settle down, and start killing folks near the objective. Because your team is useless, no one's capturing the objective. The enemy keeps repopulating the objective, you keep on killing them. Your K/D shoots right up.

Are you actually helping your team? Only slightly more than your useless squadmates who won't take advantage of the openings you're creating. And in my experience, this isn't that huge a stretch.

Sniping's useful, but only if you have decent people in front-line positions. Without those front-line rushers, you don't get anything done.

Maybe snipers deserve more points, but really the sniper rifle itself is usually a good incentive for players. There are plenty of bad snipers out there and they really add zero to a team, as opposed to a bad medic, who at least might save you a trip from the spawn point.

MAG's unusual in that it doesn't cost you much to be a medic, you still get to carry most of the cool toys, but without a serious incentive people won't play medics. Or they'll just save their shots for themselves, and not risk needing to wait for a recharge when they're in trouble. I'm not talking about clans, but about pubs. Clan-play is always different, but in clan play who cares about points? You care about winning.

As to people saying that points should be based on squad/plattoon performance, that'd be the quickest way to get people to never try the game again. If you play with strangers, how often are they just useless? I can already see new players struggling with what seems like vast amounts of experience needed to progress, based on the 50xp new players will probably get in their first few matches.

Same can be said of someone like Click that has pulled off some crazy numbers for someone in the fray. People act like if you have a good KDR you're not doing what you're supposed to. Rushing a point all game long dying in a hail of fire/mines is not helping out your team.

That's true, but there are different flavors of KDR. If you're doing 1:3 you're probably not helping much, at best you're soaking bullets. But if you're in the fray, doing 3:1 or 2:1 might still be a really good KDR, but nothing compared to your 17:1. Hell, 1:1 might actually be good if you have a good medic getting you back on your feet and keeping you at/near the objective.

Top Bottom