• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

I'm mainly using the sniper rifle in MAG but I'm against a bonus for sniping, it would just encourage exp-whores to stop doing objectives etc.
You get a medal/ribbon for 3 kills over 120m, that's enough :p

on a related note, winning and loosing should result in a much bigger exp difference, similar to KZ2 but based on how your team did.

TheFallen

J-Rzez said:
I can tell you this much as far as sniping goes. It's tough to find some decent spots on maps sometimes. Even then, for example with the current sabotage mode now, Point C has barely any useful spots to snipe from unless you're Valor on their map, or attacking SVER's C. Usually you can find a spot to snipe when on A and B, but everything locks down on C.

I can also tell you this much too, it sucks going 42-3 and only getting 300xp for it. The need to work in another bonus, like a "long shot +2/3" when killing people with a sniper at range perhaps.

Also, don't bother sniping off the bat. It's not worth it until you can have enough skill points to max it out in one shot via respec. Not having a proper scope and the final sniper rifle means you have some tough times on your hands.

I know it's nice to have a good sniper as you can really help out greatly, be it shutting down a couple routes, forcing the enemy to go elsewhere, or helping clean out the objective area (when maps allow this). Also they can "spot" for you. But the game doesn't reward snipers enough, and with everyone using heavy armor and extra hp, you need headshots. I mean, I love doing it, it's a challenge and satisfying, but it sucks seeing others getting 3x's the XP as you for going 10-18.

Oh.. about those LMGs. Something needs to be done about those things. It's not SVERs either, but all three need to be adjusted. Nothing like being sniped by those things, or watching them mow down 6 people all with headshots from thin air.
You must hate playing with me. :lol

Inanna Dan said:
Yet we have pride, courage, uber skills and good hygiene. As long as we have that, and as long as we stick together, we shall never be defeated. >:|

GO RAVEN!

You have no pride, you just fight for your high paychecks :p

My friends and family die, while cowards survive! I belong to the warriors!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Vinci said:
Raven seems to be the only faction with a hard-on for snipers at this point
I disagree that Raven are the only one with a massive hard-on for sniping. SVER love sniping like no other, so do Valor especially on C. Whenever I get to top of C, I see at least 4 or 5 snipers lined up on the roof.

It's just that sniping actually works in their favour, while it only hinders Raven. It's just a matter of random newbies realising that if you are Raven, being a LMG/AR + medic/Eng class is going to help the team (and themselves) far more than being a sniper. I'm AGAINST the idea of more rewards for snipers - less for medics. Random players rarely want to spend skill points into support/medic skill tree as it is. Also, snipers are far away from the main action, most of the time you win matches because of people fighting it out near the objectives AND the medics. Engineer class is the only class that deserves more rewards.

Vinci said:
Oh, quit pretending... 'beyond me,' a Dr. Pepper avatar? South. Definitely the South.

That, or you're one culturally confused Englishman. ;)

:lol That is fantastic.

Inanna Dan said:
Can you believe people (SVER!) were actually complaining about Raven being over-powered during first few beta phases?

Raven shall rise again! I salute each and every one of my Raven brethren and sistren, for not coping out by switching to the dark side, taking an easy way out. Our paths may be tougher, our numbers may be fewer and our futures may be screwd-er. Yet we have pride, courage, uber skills and good hygiene. As long as we have that, and as long as we stick together, we shall never be defeated. >:|

GO RAVEN!

I want to quit Raven sooo bad but I would feel so terrible beating them time after time and remembering the absolute hate and frustration I felt on their side of the fence. Ahhh I could never do that to anyone intentionally.

Hopefully when Zipper see that the breakdown between factions is: 50% SVER | 49% VALOR | 1% RAVEN they will get a fu#$ing clue.

Vinci

Danish
Inanna Dan said:
I disagree that Raven are the only one with a massive hard-on for sniping. SVER love sniping like no other, so do Valor especially on C. Whenever I get to top of C, I see at least 4 or 5 snipers lined up on the roof.

It's just that sniping actually works in their favour, while it only hinders Raven.

Perhaps that's it. I just know there have been times when I've seen six or seven Raven folks going sniper right from the go. Which is just unnecessary. But you might be right in a more general sense.

It's just a matter of random newbies realising that if you are Raven, being a LMG/AR + medic/Eng class is going to help the team (and themselves) far more than being a sniper. I'm AGAINST the idea of more rewards for snipers - less for medics. Random players rarely want to spend skill points into support/medic skill tree as it is.

I'm fine with rewarding for medic and support skills, Inanna. And you have to admit, my suggestion for rewarding snipers wasn't exactly something some nobody is going to pull off. It's going to mostly be clan folks that know where they need to be looking and how to help - at least in my example.

Also, snipers are far away from the main action, most of the time you win matches because of people fighting it out near the objectives AND the medics. Engineer class is the only class that deserves more rewards.

But you sound like you're demeaning snipers when, in fact, I've seen them (myself included) help turn the tide in fights that seemed hopeless before. Why wouldn't you want them to be rewarded for doing a good job?

Vinci said:
But you sound like you're demeaning snipers when, in fact, I've seen them (myself included) help turn the tide in fights that seemed hopeless before. Why wouldn't you want them to be rewarded for doing a good job?
I'll demean them. In a game about holding and taking territory, snipers do neither. All the real work is done by the ground-pounders moving directly into the fray, physically taking and physically holding territory through shock action and unit tactics.

Snipers are effective to take out other snipers, and they can provide a very limited secondary defense, but besides that?

I'd take a bloodthirsty grunt willing to dash into the shit over a guy hiding in a bush any day.

Vinci

Danish
NullPointer said:
I'll demean them. In a game about holding and taking territory, snipers do neither. All the real work is done by the ground-pounders moving directly into the fray, physically taking and physically holding territory through shock action and unit tactics.

Snipers are effective to take out other snipers, and they can provide a very limited secondary defense, but besides that?

I'd take a bloodthirsty grunt willing to dash into the shit over a guy hiding in a bush any day.

I'm not disagreeing with you, man. I'm 100% cool with assault folks getting the majority of the bounty. They unmistakably do the most work. But snipers - good ones - are very beneficial to those beautiful bastards' work. This is true in real life and in MAG. Again: I'm advocating rewards for snipers that are good, not morons just trying for easy kills.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
oktarb said:
Team killing happens to the best of us. Intentional team killing is a one way trip to gamer hell.
Oh no, he was ISA (scum), I was Helghast. :p

FFObsessed said:
That's just because he got aroused. He's kinky like that. :lol

Belgian you see.
Heh, yeah... :| Otherwise, he's a real gentleman.

SolidusDave said:
You have no pride, you just fight for your high paychecks :p

My friends and family die, while cowards survive! I belong to the warriors!
We picked Raven, despite being at a disadvantage. Why? Because we are the heroes of tomorrow! :p

You should ask for a higher pay check too. Your company is worth multi millions...Where does all that money go? I wonder. :p

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hopefully when Zipper see that the breakdown between factions is: 50% SVER | 49% VALOR | 1% RAVEN they will get a fu#$ing clue.
You'll see that Raven's are actually good at Acq. But then again we used to do pretty good in Dom during closed beta, dunno what changed.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Vinci said:
I'm not disagreeing with you, man. I'm 100% cool with assault folks getting the majority of the bounty. They unmistakably do the most work. But snipers - good ones - are very beneficial to those beautiful bastards' work. This is true in real life and in MAG. Again: I'm advocating rewards for snipers that are good, not morons just trying for easy kills.
How would you distinguish between the two though?

Vinci

Danish
Inanna Dan said:
How would you distinguish between the two though?

What I said earlier:

Vinci said:
Hell, I'd be happy if they set a special bonus for snipers that's hard to achieve but rewards a great deal of experience: Headshot 20 people with the sniper rifle in a round. Something along those lines.

Most snipers right now, particularly on Raven's side, are going for center mass rather than headshots - so that's not easily achievable for anyone except those who know what they're doing. [I'm not claiming I do, FWIW.]

Most scrub snipers are not going to be able to pull that off. Also, we're fine with medics - but J-Rzez already detailed a situation in which assault people weren't doing their jobs properly. Trying to heal and nothing else. Meanwhile, a sniper could have been doing a good job and still got far less experience than those morons did.

The point is: Anyone, regardless of his or her class, can suck. But so far, only one profession is rewarded regardless.

Vinci said:
...This is true in real life and in MAG. Again: I'm advocating rewards for snipers that are good, not morons just trying for easy kills.
I get what you're saying, but in real life snipers have more opportunities to show their worth, taking out command & control, high value targets, demoralizing the enemy, even disabling vehicles, etc. And all of this in a world with far more varied objectives, and no team balance, and no respawns, and only after you've got more than enough infantry to take and hold the objective :)

But hey, not hating on snipers in particular. It just seems that in THIS game, they have less utility overall. They're a luxury that you can only afford after you're swelled to the brim with ground pounders. I just don't want to see my squads filled with too many snipers taking potshots and wondering why we never win. So yeah, scoring has to be handled really carefully here.

Arnie

Oh fuck, going back over some old media this game has shot up the hype meter for me, straight past ME2. When I get these home on the same day I'm going to have a tough time allocating my time. Plus, I should have a fresh KFC and a couple of Red Bulls to keep me going.

Vinci

Danish
NullPointer said:
I get what you're saying, but in real life snipers have more opportunities to show their worth, taking out command & control, high value targets, demoralizing the enemy, even disabling vehicles, etc. And all of this in a world with far more varied objectives, and no team balance, and no respawns, and only after you've got more than enough infantry to take and hold the objective :)

But hey, not hating on snipers in particular. It just seems that in THIS game, they have less utility overall. They're a luxury that you can only afford after you're swelled to the brim with ground pounders. I just don't want to see my squads filled with too many snipers taking potshots and wondering why we never win. So yeah, scoring has to be handled really carefully here.

I don't want that either, man. But that's why you clan up. That's why you talk to people and say, "If you don't know how to snipe, get your ass an assault rifle and medical kit - and haul holy ass over here!" If they don't listen, kick 'em.

I'm just saying - I've seen snipers help massively in pulling out a win, and I sure as hell feel that my sniping performance in a match or two has helped us win. That one match I mentioned before especially - and even then, I didn't have 20 headshots. :lol

EDIT: Keep in mind, I only snipe when I feel the situation warrants it. Otherwise, I'm a ground pounder like the rest of you.

Kowak

Banned
JonathanEx said:
Review embargo is Monday 25th January 5.00pm GMT / 6.00pm CET / 9.00am PST.

If anyone has any questions about the game they want put to Zipper, let me now before tomorrow. I'm at the launch tooo.

If you see a blond male in early 20s with a blue arsenal hoodie representing IGN and getting very frustrated as random grenades and rockets kill him, then it is most likely me!!!

depward

I never really paid attention: how much was the EXP bonus if you were the winning side?

Maybe they can also put a cap on how much exp you can get per game from rezzing? Getting a 10 exp + 10 exp frago bonus for each rez is a lot!

Sooo pumped for the retail version to come out..

Kowak

Banned
the best thing about snipers is that they stop the enemy concentrating on the objective as everyone always respawns and then goes on the hunt for the sniper. Although sadly, it seems those on the other squad, and my squad not from GAF, like to go hunting for them as well.

Vinci said:
EDIT: Keep in mind, I only snipe when I feel the situation warrants it. Otherwise, I'm a ground pounder like the rest of you.
Good to hear it. We need all the fodder soldiers we can get.

Kowak said:
the best thing about snipers is that they stop the enemy concentrating on the objective as everyone always respawns and then goes on the hunt for the sniper. Although sadly, it seems those on the other squad, and my squad not from GAF, like to go hunting for them as well.
Counter sniping, like sniping, is a great thing to have provided very few of your team is actually committed to it.

Arnie said:
Oh fuck, going back over some old media this game has shot up the hype meter for me, straight past ME2. When I get these home on the same day I'm going to have a tough time allocating my time. Plus, I should have a fresh KFC and a couple of Red Bulls to keep me going.

Damn, nice idea, I'm gonna hit some Burns or Bulls as well.

slider

Quick everyone, gather round.

DL'ed the 290odd MB initial beta DL. Then the 1.8gig one... and then I get this...

slider's PS3 said:
_UL_launcher_error

Only option I have is OK. Guess I'll try it again but has anyone had something like this before?

Ooh, then I get...

slider's PS3 said:
_UL_launcher_np_auth_fail

This one repeats so I PS buttoned it outta there.

I know it's a beta but I've never had this sort of thing on a console before so... I'm freaking out!

EDIT: Feck it, it worked thereafter. Still, was exciting for me.

The only issue I have is my favorite "job" is engineer/anti armor. It doesn't get the most points but its fun for me.

If I load myself out with the Engineering Tool, Missile Launcher, The SCAR and Smoke grenades I never have enough to outfit myself with a Med Kit, that gnaws at me.

Kowak

Banned
bear10.jpg

Watch out SVER and hillbillies, are newest recruit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19365041&postcount=87

Kowak

Banned
theBishop said:
Would anyone here be opposed to a downloadable pack adding an all-female PMC called The Amazons?

i would be opposed
but only if they are not in bikinis and have small breasts

theBishop said:
Would anyone here be opposed to a downloadable pack adding an all-female PMC called The Amazons?
Not opposed at all, but I'm pretty sure Zipper said that they couldn't fit female textures/animations into memory. So I'm afraid its a sausage fest.

oktarb

NullPointer said:
Not opposed at all, but I'm pretty sure Zipper said that they couldn't fit female textures/animations into memory. So I'm afraid its a sausage fest.

All the vehicles are girls.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Getting 20+ sniper headshot isn't necessarily going to help you win the match. Besides, most individuals that snipe are 90% of the time concerned about getting kills for themselves. For example, on Sab while attacking, I've seen people sniping from the get go but they rarely budge or put down their sniper rifles even if their team is losing. Sure, they'd get tons of headshots and kills but ultimately that isn't helping with the objectives. Getting rewards for that is only going to encourage people to snipe more.

As for medics, it's actually one of the tactics posted on the official forum to have a few dedicated medics+engineers that stay back, be stealthy, don't draw enemy gunfire and do nothing but heal, revive, and repair stuff. Trust me, it works wonders in Acq. They help MUCH more than snipers.

J-Rzez

NullPointer said:

:lol

I assure you, sniping can have a major effect on a battle. Like it or not, they're just as valuable as the people running into the objectives. Be it thinning numbers to help your attacking squad, getting people off of high areas raining down grenades and LMG spray and prayers, stopping them from getting back into the objective area you just capped, stopping the offensive rush of another team, or locking down an access route funneling the enemy into your stronger defenses.

Maybe you just don't see this when you're running into a group of people with red-mist rage in your eyes holding down the trigger. :p

Wes

venison crêpe
JonathanEx said:
Review embargo is Monday 25th January 5.00pm GMT / 6.00pm CET / 9.00am PST.

If anyone has any questions about the game they want put to Zipper, let me now before tomorrow. I'm at the launch tooo.

Find out when the ****ing headset bundle will be available to pre-order in the UK :*(

J-Rzez said:
I assure you, sniping can have a major effect on a battle. Like it or not, they're just as valuable as the people running into the objectives. Be it thinning numbers to help your attacking squad, getting people off of high areas raining down grenades and LMG spray and prayers, stopping them from getting back into the objective area you just capped, stopping the offensive rush of another team, or locking down an access route funneling the enemy into your stronger defenses.
Yeah, but in every one of those scenarios, you could accomplish the same thing with an assault soldier, AND be able to take and hold the objective.

Snipers aren't useless. Just less useful than a grunt is all.

I'd love to be wrong and see some real sniping awesomeness out there, because right now I do see it as a "luxury" class, and one that people will no doubt load out with when they feel like they're losing, just to get kills.

Every game that has ever had snipers has too many damn people picking them.

oktarb said:
All the vehicles are girls.
My mind asplode.

Kowak

Banned
Inanna Dan said:
Getting 20+ sniper headshot isn't necessarily going to help you win the match. Besides, most individuals that snipe are 90% of the time concerned about getting kills for themselves. For example, on Sab while attacking, I've seen people sniping from the get go but they rarely budge or put down their sniper rifles even if their team is losing. Sure, they'd get tons of headshots and kills but ultimately that isn't helping with the objectives. Getting rewards for that is only going to encourage people to snipe more.

i was like that at first, i use to love playing attacking sver because i would just snipe. I would never bother going for the objective, didnt know about the med kit, and always would bleedout. Then when i started playing with you and Darkpen I realised that the game was more then just padding stats(which i was happy with because my kill ratio was terrible). Thats what made me fall in love with the game, the fact i was working with a team that had a purpose and that communicated, thus i rushed out the next day and got a mic. I know try and always have a look at the levels of the rest of the squad so that i can communicate to them about what needs to go down, which no one did for me when i first played.

edit: i now rarely snipe and dont even think i had the sniper in one of my layouts by the end of the open beta.

Kowak

Banned
Vinci said:
I've never seen anyone but SVER use the poison gas grenade, and I'm not high enough to get it. I will once I can though. Believe me.

nothing gives me more pleasure then seeing them throw in poison gas and then they rush in, i just hold back and let the gas weaken them before poping them off.

While I have talked up BFBC2, I do think it will be the more polished and better playing game, I don't think I can deny the depth of MAG which will likely compel me to play for a good amount of time.

I'll probably day one it, got sick of MW2 quick and need some shooting fix.

Kowak

Banned
From Raven Industries

It’s come to our attention that both Valor Company, Inc. and S.V.E.R. (the closest things we can consider “competition”) have been tracking our movement across markets worldwide. A clear sign of paranoia. They feel threatened, as they should. –Antoine Jeannette, CEO

BattleMonkey said:
While I have talked up BFBC2, I do think it will be the more polished and better playing game, I don't think I can deny the depth of MAG which will likely compel me to play for a good amount of time.

I'll probably day one it, got sick of MW2 quick and need some shooting fix.

rambo.jpg

Kowak said:
From Raven Industries

A pathetic PR that clearly demonstrates chaos among Raven forces with an attempt to rally them by trying to downplay competition. It matters not, since the final blow will be dealt a few days after the inevitable launch. DEATH TO OUR ENEMIES!

hugo+chavez.jpg

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Raven LMG requirs skill to use, bloody thing has maaad recoil! Does almost the same amount of damage as AR, only real advantage is that it holds 100 bullets per clip. I was terrible with it at first, recoil put me off so I would stick with ATAC, now I love my LMG just as much as ATAC. I still suck with the second medium machine gun, too much recoil, Dannie rocks it like I haven't seen anyone. Trust me, those things require skill to use.

I was like that in KZ2, Kowak. :p Tried sniping in the first phase as SVER, got tons of kills but damn it was boring as hell. I enjoy being out there now, defending/attacking/reviving/repairing.

J-Rzez

NullPointer said:
Yeah, but in every one of those scenarios, you could accomplish the same thing with an assault soldier, AND be able to take and hold the objective.

Snipers aren't useless. Just less useful than a grunt is all.

I'd love to be wrong and see some real sniping awesomeness out there, because right now I do see it as a "luxury" class, and one that people will no doubt load out with when they feel like they're losing, just to get kills.

You play with some real shitty snipers then. Or you just don't realize what's actually happening as many other run and gunners in other games have shown in the past. I've ran into bases with my PDW to take them back or cap them as well. Fact is, snipers are just as valuable as "grunts". You need to be multi-faceted to succeed, especially in this game, with the insane number of players, you need your snipers and grunts (who double as proper medics when played correctly).

Inanna Dan said:
You should ask for a higher pay check too. Your company is worth multi millions...Where does all that money go? I wonder. :p

They told me it was for building lots of orphanages and buying magic trees for our vehicles :/

@importance of snipers:
You can also help your team by being a scout as well, you have an overview over the battlefield and can inform your squad via headset. Enemy position etc.
Actually, I think the scale of MAG allows this to be more useful than in most games.

Kowak

Banned
Today is a day to celebrate the birth of S.V.E.R. After years of duty, one botched operation left me for dead. From that moment on, the only pursuit was that of survival.

I was abandoned by my commanding officer. My leg was shattered. My ribs broken. I had no choice — I had to move on. For six miles, I crawled until I finally reached the Pakistani border. Guards lined the station, but they had no idea what was advancing towards them. Pulling out my lone rifle, I shot my way through the line of guards.

This perseverance is shared among all of S.V.E.R. I see it everyday in the passion of our company. We will not stand for defeat. We will not stand for death. Every operation is as important as the next. There is no such thing as hope, only relentlessness.
18346_230557163115_167563503115_3082164_4963027_n.jpg

You are led by someone who is shit in combat and didnt have the respect of her commanding officer.

although to be fair, at least your CEO has written a letter Valors CEO hasnt bothered on facebook yet, i guess they are leaderless.

TheFatOne

Kowak said:
You are led by someone who is shit in combat and didnt have the respect of her commanding officer.

although to be fair, at least your CEO has written a letter Valors CEO hasnt bothered on facebook yet, i guess they are leaderless.

Nah I'm too lazy to post anything on my facebook.

Click

Banned
J-Rzez is one of (if not) the best snipers I've seen so far in MAG beta.
Dude goes apeshit sometimes and scares the other team to death (literally).
It's nice to have a great sniper on any team. In fact, I believe every squad needs at least 1 or 2 good snipers.

But yeah, I agree. Zipper needs to tweak the XP given to medics and snipers.
Medics shouldn't get so many points for revivals and heals.

Sure, they need some XP to encourage people to help out fallen teammates, but as it stands now, people that primarily do most of the killing (and therefore, winning), keeping the enemies from storming objective areas, aren't getting enough XP.

Me and J-Rzez constantly get insane K/D ratios and are the major reason why our teams win games. However, at the end of the day, if we don't stick around the frago area and/or be medic whores, there's no way we can be top 3 in points at the end of the game.

I know this game isn't about who gets the highest K/D ratio, but it shouldn't be about being a revive / heal bot either. I hope Zipper does something about this soon.

Top Bottom