• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Beardz

TheFallen said:
Well, the IGN tourney is almost done and having tried MAG for many weeks I have a few opinions/suggestions on how to make the point system better. So I wrote something up that I will probably post over at the official forums for Zipper to see and anyone else can discuss.

1) Increase Major Victory Bonus: If a match is won quickly, the winning team should get some sort of substantial bonus. Hopefully to stop players from wanting to farm experience by prolonging matches or by letting the other team get to C purposely.

2) Decrease FRAGO Bonuses: While on one hand it can reward players for sticking to their correct assigned areas, virtually any kill on the battlefield should be considered beneficial to a team. There are tons of players that use alternative routes or flank, of course killing them is just as important to the ones bum-rushing objectives. The FRAGO bonuses for using medical kits around the objective would then also be trimmed, stopping players from boosting in this way.

3) Increase Engineer Experience: It's piss-poor, they already have to deal with uselessness in some modes, so give them a reason to spend points on this.

4) Add a Killstreak Experience Bonus: No matter what you think of players who have great k/d ratios, you can't ignore the fact that they're valuable assets to teams. In war, you want your soldiers alive, as long as possible. Heavy casualties should be deterred. Give them some reward for staying alive. It will stop players from rushing in Rambo style willing to get themselves killed. Players will play more strategically with this bonus.

5) Duration-based Experience for Completing Objectives: I don't mind the single player bonus for completing an objective, but this is a team game. The entire team should get something like a 1 point bonus every 30 seconds for holding an objective. I would say only the assigned squads, however that will just lead to squad leaders changing FRAGOs often purposely.

What do you guys think? I think these would solve many of the issues we have in this thread over medics, snipers, engineers, and rambos.

1- Agreed
2- Nope, fragos should stay they way they are, same goes for healing/reviving players; you can't really boost this way, you get more points points completing objectives, than "boosting".
3- ??? You can switch classes all time, don't you know? Switching classes is basic for a game like this, as for me, being engineer is having a repair kit and that's all.
4- No! we don't need campers, tnxbye!
5- We don't need rooms full of players doing nothing.

Click said:
Man this thread has so many people talking out their asses.

From what I hear, TONS of Zipper employees are dedicated snipers and they can easily pin the opposing team down with ease.

People talking shit about snipers are either a) sick of being sniped, b) doesn't know how to snipe, and/or c) has never seen a good sniper snipe.

P.S. yes Inanna, you're STILL whining about map imbalance.

From what I hear, donkeys shit gold bricks.

Stop assuming that we are butt hurt by snipers, that is just stupid assumption. I said numerous times I have nothing against snipers.. selective reading FTW. I sniped in BF1942 and BF2 for awhile and was pretty good at it too. If I wanted I would probably be good at sniping in MAG too but also, I wouldn't be lying to myself that sniping is a huge benefit for my team.

For all we know zipper could be using aim-bots. :lol (I'm kidding if you're not bright enough to figure it out)

Click

Banned
Ze_Pershing said:
From what I hear, donkeys shit gold bricks.

Stop assuming that we are butt hurt by snipers, that is just stupid assumption. I said numerous times I have nothing against snipers.. selective reading FTW. I sniped in BF1942 and BF2 for awhile and was pretty good at it too. If I wanted I would probably be good at sniping in MAG too but also, I wouldn't be lying to myself that sniping is a huge benefit for my team.

For all we know zipper could be using aim-bots. :lol (I'm kidding if you're not bright enough to figure it out)

Stop assuming I'm talking about you. In fact, I never named anyone.
Making shit up FTL.

Kowak

Banned
Click said:
No. IGN lost to Eurogamer. And that was only the forum goers, not the actual editors / employees.

Zipper DESTROYED both of them.

I know Zipper destroyed IGN/eurogamer but by that time three quarters of IGN team were drunk(i had two pints while waiting and a beck inside for free so still had my senses) and eurogamers were all under 18 it seemed to me. Plus we had no way to communicate to each other in the squad as you couldnt hear the dam mics. Zipper were great but once i found my feet after a 2-11 start i managed to pull my way back.

cimg2729c.jpg

(i was actually please with my performence seeing my start was poor, managing to revive someone was a miracle as they all liked to bleed out, and i have never been the best with k'd ratios)

but anyways, the actual journalists who played zipper earlier in the day actually won according to deepbrown.

deepbrown said:
We won! =D 128 Euro journalists beat Zipper! Woo hooo!

But the same guy won two PSP's for being best player twice >_<

to be fair, i didnt see much sniping from them and maybe thats why they lost to the journalists, but then they were the bullet sponges known as Valor so it was impossible to kill them in direct combat.:D :D :D :D

Click

Banned
Kowak said:

I wasn't there so I wouldn't know, but if you were Zipper, wouldn't you also let JOURNALISTS win too? I mean, if you beat the shit out of them, how do you think you may be reviewed? It's like letting business partners or bosses beat you in golf....

People who played Zipper in the IGN tourny thing said they were crazy good snipers and therefore beat the crap out of good players playing against them. I couldn't care less about random forum users in Europe playing them, nor a bunch of journalists supposedly beating Zipper.

They should hold a real contest a month or 2 after the game's release... with the highest ranked 256 players against Zipper. THAT would be the true test to see how good Zipper employees are against good players.

Kowak

Banned
Beardz said:
5- We don't need rooms full of players doing nothing.

but you wouldnt be as you will be defending the secured target until it is time to move on, which you are actually already doing now but get no points for holding in for a longtime.

The Zipper guys actually won the second of the 2 journalist matches (when they were defending) but no-one seems to have noticed. Or saw the screens saying "MASSIVE DEFEAT". Everyone seemed to assume we won the second time.

EMCSquared

Neo Member
Unfortunately, I was not able to get into the beta, but I was curious about what you guys (those that played the beta) thought about how the actual teamwork will play out once the game sees a wide release?

-Do you think that the incentives that the game provides will be able to deter and/or eliminate griefers?

-Also do you think that the incentive/exp system is able to achieve useful teamwork (ie gameplay that does not revolve around ineffectual exp farming)?

Kowak

Banned
Click said:

but you give a dam about the guys who created the game and dedicated players against average joe.

Zipper would get destroyed in that as they would be going up against the best 256 out of a pool of hopefully 2 million+

Click

Banned
Violater said:
Game needs to be released, too much bitching not enough pew pew pew

I've been pew pewing the past week.

I'm just sick of reading all the bitching and ass-speak (lol, made this up) going on here everyday.

5 more days... 5 more days!!!

Click said:

I'm just sick of reading all the bitching and ass-speak (lol, made this up) going on here everyday.

It's cool man. Rationalize away your sniper lifestyle choice.

Violater

Click said:

Your pew pewing was for naught, its all been reset.
I want the real deal.

Click

Banned
Violater said:
Your pew pewing was for naught, its all been reset.
I want the real deal.

Doesn't matter to me.
This IGN thing was just practice anyway, as I've only played 4 days' worth of beta previous to this week.

Click said:

I know, right? All the bitching about how snipers should get more points for kills is getting boring. :lol

Just a few more days, indeed.

J-Rzez

Ze_Pershing said:
Not worthless but also not significant enough as you think. If you go 30-0 than good for you but why would you expect more points is beyond me. .

I don't think you're following here. I want an additional point or two for killing people at long range. Not overall kill number, because right now it's lopsided. I shouldn't be getting 200-250xp for killing 35 people which stopped them from getting into our bases. I'd like to say people running and gunning, dying repeated at the objective isn't as significant as you think. If you think sniping isn't just as significant as any other role, then you haven't played with a good sniper. If you're on an opposing faction to SVER, you'll find out then if we play against each other when your teammates say they have to take a different route because there's a sniper covering that one, or stay down we're getting sniped out of the base and can't make it back in. :p

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Click said:
Man this thread has so many people talking out their asses.

From what I hear, TONS of Zipper employees are dedicated snipers and they can easily pin the opposing team down with ease.

People talking shit about snipers are either a) sick of being sniped, b) doesn't know how to snipe, and/or c) has never seen a good sniper snipe.

P.S. yes Inanna, you're STILL whining about map imbalance.
Yep, you are STILL butthurt, for some odd reason... Do you even know the meaning of the word "whine"?

less cover on SVER map = sniper heaven = good for Raven/Valor to hunt those snipers down = waaaaaaaaaah! Wait, what?

You need to learn to read, and stop taking things personally. In case you didn't notice, most of us (at least I wasn't) are not talking about enemy snipers, but too many snipers in our own squad that do nothing to help take the objective when you're losing.

Raven maps having too much cover is good for the defending team. Not so much for someone who wants to become a career sniper and help the team. That's NOT a bad thing. I'm not ttacking snipers though, I love to snipe myself.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
J-Rzez said:
I don't think you're following here. I want an additional point or two for killing people at long range. Not overall kill number, because right now it's lopsided. I shouldn't be getting 200-250xp for killing 35 people which stopped them from getting into our bases. I'd like to say people running and gunning, dying repeated at the objective isn't as significant as you think. If you think sniping isn't just as significant as any other role, then you haven't played with a good sniper. If you're on an opposing faction to SVER, you'll find out then if we play against each other when your teammates say they have to take a different route because there's a sniper covering that one, or stay down we're getting sniped out of the base and can't make it back in. :p
Snipers are important, I agree. But it's annoying when half your team is sniping when you want them to be at the objective. Especially when you're attacking.

J-Rzez said:

That I can agree with. That way snipers could advance little bit quicker to get better equipment for sniping. It is fairly easy to max out a medic.

Sadly, at least until I max out my character, we shall not face each other. I will start out SVER, after that who knows, if I decide to change factions than there's a chance. I'm looking forward to it, I like little competition in any way, shape or form.

Hopefully we'll also have a chance to play on the same team. Having a good sniper looking out for you is always welcome.

As a run and gunner, on offense I view it like this. If I repeatedly keep eating sniper rounds while I'm doing my thing, the snipers on our team aren't really doing they're job. Much like how a sniper probably views getting stabbed in the back as a failure by the run and gunners to hold the line. Sorta give and take ya know? Obviously it depends alot on the situation but it's a general rule.

On defense I only get annoyed if the snipers are WAAAAY back of the objective. I'm a firm believer in killing people well before they reach the objective, and I question their ability to influence control over an area.

Kill:Death wise, I would expect snipers to have a good ratio, far more impressive is the number of kills they get. 10-15 kills is nice and all, but 30 or something (thinking sabotage mode I guess) means that dude wasn't just sitting there waiting for jobbers to walk into his crosshairs. I mean, I'm charging around actively looking for people to kill, and you can rival my # of kills? Very impressive.

High skill, high reward role. Just too many people like doing it. Balance seemed fine in the beta, the only thing would be the balance on some higher tiered rifles, as I doubt they were as prevelent as they will be in the final game.

Oh, and the small frago radius bugs me too. Maybe have it sorta fall off the farther you get? I tend to only get Frago points when the squad has failed and I'm retreating to retake the point. Generally you want the frontline not to be right on the objectives doorstep ya know?

Violater

Click said:
Doesn't matter to me.
This IGN thing was just practice anyway, as I've only played 4 days' worth of beta previous to this week.

Ok.
I was in 3 beta phases, so I got tired of having to start from scratch every time.
It will be interesting to see what I will do after reaching max rank.
IIRC Zipper still has not given us any official word on what faction invitation process is all about.
I know I am in for about 60 hours of playtime before I will want something new, maps/modes/weapons etc.

Click

Banned
Inanna said:
Yep, you are STILL butthurt, for some odd reason... Do you even know the meaning of the word "whine"?

less cover on SVER map = sniper heaven = good for Raven/Valor to hunt those snipers down = waaaaaaaaaah! Wait, what?

You need to learn to read, and stop taking things personally. In case you didn't notice, most of us (at least I wasn't) are not talking about enemy snipers, but too many snipers in our own squad that do nothing to help take the objective when you're losing.

Raven maps having too much cover is good for the defending team. Not so much for someone who wants to become a career sniper and help the team. That's NOT a bad thing. I'm not ttacking snipers though, I love to snipe myself.

In case you didn't noticed, I haven't been taking things personally.

Because if I did, I would've quoted the 20 pages worth of bitching and whining you did in the previous beta thread, the few you posted here, and even the Online section has you complaining about S.V.E.R. map imbalance and how unfair it is to be Raven playing against S.V.E.R. when you hilariously claimed that you weren't bitching in the previous thread and even more hilarious when you're claiming you're not whining here when you were on both accounts.

But I don't have the time nor patience to bitch-slap people on forums anymore so I don't even bother responding to your nonsense most of the time.

Oh, and there are plenty of sniping spots for attackers on S.V.E.R. defend Sabo. Maybe YOU just don't know where and/or how to snipe. I know where good sniping positions are for attackers and I've been sniped plenty of times by GOOD snipers. I also know how to neutralize them, once I know their position, while others constantly get sniped by them.

It's amusing reading you complain over and over about S.V.E.R. having such amazing sniping positions while poor Raven and Valor are shit out of luck if they want to snipe back. I can't wait to beat the living shit out of Raven GAF once this game comes out. But you'll just cry about our maps and awesome snipe spots for S.V.E.R. as usual when that happens.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
:lol

You're definitely butthurt, Click.

I was jokingly teasing GAFe guys in the online section and here, didn't think people would get THIS butthurt. Damn...

You really do have a selective reading problem, don't you? Most of my replies in this topic and the beta topic (even the online topic, it was actually that Valor dude) were replies to other people's complaints (most of the time, anyway). Yes, I still say that the Domination map is unfair, even YOU agreed that it was, now can we bloody move on?

Again, selective reading FTW! I meant sniping spots WHILE defending on Raven maps. :lol

I don't doubt that you would. GAFe guys are amazing players, and I'm sure they'd do great.

Click said:
But I don't have the time nor patience to bitch-slap people on forums anymore so I don't even bother responding to your nonsense most of the time.
I don't think you understand what the word "discussion" (as in 'Gaming Discussion') means. It doesn't mean bitch-slapping, and it doesn't mean that anybody who disagrees with you is bitching and moaning.

Same old Click, assuming only your criticism is valid, and that everything else is nonsense. I'm glad MAG has you to protected it from the teeming hordes.

You guys have been arguing about snipers for days :lol

If you are defending a good sniper or three is great. I don't see how they are any help when you are attacking. That is my only opinion on them, it's pretty simple.

Click

Banned
Inanna said:
:lol

You're definitely butthurt, Click.

I was jokingly teasing GAFe guys in the online section and here, didn't think people would get THIS butthurt. Damn...

You really do have a selective reading problem, don't you? Most of my replies in this topic and the beta topic (even the online topic, it was actually that Valor dude) were replies to other people's complaints (most of the time, anyway). Yes, I still say that the Domination map is unfair, even YOU agreed that it was, now can we bloody move on?

Again, selective reading FTW! I meant sniping spots WHILE defending on Raven maps. :lol

I don't doubt that you would. GAFe guys are amazing players, and I'm sure they'd do great.

Butthurt? Nah, just annoyed with your constant blathering, then after the fact, claiming innocence and lying about what you posted. Sure, you were just "joking" and "teasing" people when you complain about map imbalance.

You obviously don't know the snipe spots on Raven maps either. Because there are plenty and oh yeah, it's extremely hard to see Raven because they wear all black on a map full of black and dark green shadows and foliage.

And lol @ you trying to say it'd be GAFe winning. Me and GAFA beat GAFe more often than you guys beat us in KZ2. I don't need GAFe to win. In fact, I was the first person to sign up for S.V.E.R. GAF when nobody else would and when Cagen asked GAFe if they'd be in S.V.E.R.

NullPointer said:
I don't think you understand what the word "discussion" (as in 'Gaming Discussion') means. It doesn't mean bitch-slapping, and it doesn't mean that anybody who disagrees with you is bitching and moaning.

Same old Click, assuming only your criticism is valid, and that everything else is nonsense. I'm glad MAG has you to protected it from the teeming hordes.

Discussion doesn't mean complaining, whining, and bitching about the same shit over and over. A few times, OK. Everyone does that. Valid criticisms are perfectly fine. In fact, I love valid criticisms. It's how developers can identify what they may need to fix in their games. But when certain people repeat the same complaints for 20+ pages, spanning 3 friggin' threads, it gets old and annoying.

Oh, and who are you again?
Just some hater of mine?
Yeah, doesn't matter to me either way.

Violater

My biggest gripe at the moment has to be the significantly small number of maps. Additionally if there is a particular game mode that I do not like playing, the number of maps has become even smaller.

Can someone with some level of certainty explain how the Training mode maps are used?

Oh snap!
Zipper Interactive's Ben Jones has said that he believes Xbox Live is "more juvenile" than PlayStation Network, and that MAG "definitely fits more" to the PlayStation audience "because of the things that are being said over Xbox Live".

Speaking to GamerZines at an event held in London yesterday to celebrate the imminent launch of PlayStation 3's upcoming online multiplayer shooter MAG, Jones said:

"I actually consider Xbox Live the more juvenile of the two," blaming "the things that are being said over Xbox Live" by its users for the service's relative immaturity.
Ya heard.

http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/news/xbox-live-juvenile-zipper.html

deepbrown

Kowak said:
but anyways, the actual journalists who played zipper earlier in the day actually won according to deepbrown.

to be fair, i didnt see much sniping from them and maybe thats why they lost to the journalists, but then they were the bullet sponges known as Valor so it was impossible to kill them in direct combat.:D :D :D :D

That we did. Was a walk over first round and closer second round. They certainly were using sniper rifles...I know because they shot me down quite a lot - until I snuck behind them and took them out. Sniper's must learn to move positions :)

sk3tch

The IGN tourney goes until 3PM ET, Saturday 1/23 guys (11:59PM West Coast time Friday, 1/22)...so we have some time to play. I know I have my Friday night booked off.

KZObsessed

Click said:
Me and GAFA beat GAFe more often than you guys beat us in KZ2.

err that's a lie. GAFe won more overall. Not that clan matches in KZ2 mean anything anyway due to all the lag.

In fact, I was the first person to sign up for S.V.E.R. GAF when nobody else would and when Cagen asked GAFe if they'd be in S.V.E.R.

We signed up for S.V.E.R. because we were S.V.E.R in that last Beta. I always liked the look of S.V.E.R. and me and Lince just both happened to chose them during that last Beta, so when other people downloaded it they joined S.V.E.R so we could play together. Dunno what that has to do with anything tho...

theBishop

Banned
Violater said:
Both networks have an ample share of juveniles, racists, homophobes and overall asshats.

No doubt. But I've definitely been called a faggot more often on Gears of War than any other game.

On Killzone2 everyone sips gin martinis and discusses global politics.

Kowak

Banned
Violater said:
Both networks have an ample share of juveniles, racists, homophobes and overall asshats.

when i was trying to tell somebody to get their ass over to A instead of attacking B i got a message saying

your mum is at A

i laughed before scorning them with a message of my own, didnt want to really hurl abuse over the chat.

i havent come across any rascist comments so far compared with killzone and resistence. I just hope the immature kids dont bother with this game because its not mod war.

edit: mod war 2 was terrible for comments, it ruined the experience and turned me off the online play.

KZObsessed

Kowak said:
when i was trying to tell somebody to get their ass over to A instead of attacking B i got a message saying

i laughed before scorning them with a message of my own, didnt want to really hurl abuse over the chat.

i havent come across any rascist comments so far compared with killzone and resistence. I just hope the immature kids dont bother with this game because its not mod war.

You know what's weird, the most racism and what not I've heard in a PSN game is in U2. Dunno if it's just due to more people having a PS3/headset now or what. But I was quite taken back by it initially. edit: oh, how did I forget MW2 :lol

There was a few weird people in the MAG Beta who seemed to be treating it as if it was a real war :lol But most the community who spoke seemed quite mature. Maybe a lot of the SOCOM crowd will come over to it.

Violater

theBishop said:
No doubt. But I've definitely been called a faggot more often on Gears of War than any other game.

On Killzone2 everyone sips gin martinis and discusses global politics.

When they call me the N word I sometimes don't know what the best response is.
Do I

A) Commence team killing
B) Tell them how much their mom likes it that way
C) Laugh it off
D) Ask them if they are really that bumhurt about having a Black President
E) Mute them, (is there a mute option in MAG, if not it needs one)
F) Generally some combination of all of the above

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
20 pages? :lol

I wasn't complaining about it today though. Yeah, I did complain in the beta topic. Hell, everybody (who wasn't SVER) was complaining about it in that topic, and I contributed. NEVER started the conversation myself, even in the online topic someone else started the convo. But I don't see you mentioning them...oh no. TheFatOne was much more vocal/frustrated than I ever was but no mention of him anywhere. In fact, I was the one who told Vinci that SVER are NOT impossible to beat on Syr.

You're right...unlike SVER who wear sandy coloured clothes, that REALLY doesn't stand out AT ALL in their deserty environment. Black stands out like a bitch on the lightblue/gray/white-ish cemented floor.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I like GAFe guys, but goddamn am I glad I'm still Raven. At least I won't have to deal with cranky/weird people.

KZObsessed

Well the game's are 128 players with only 8 man squads, so it's not like you'll run into the same guys all the time.

Having said that... *defects to Raven* :lol

TheFallen

FFObsessed said:
There was a few weird people in the MAG Beta who seemed to be treating it as if it was a real war :lol But most the community who spoke seemed quite mature. Maybe a lot of the SOCOM crowd will come over to it.
There's still a lot of players (especially when they're with their clans) that are pricks. A couple clans have been team-killing SVER GAF in the IGN tourney for absolutely no reason.

Make no mistake, PSN isn't at the level of immaturity that XBL has just yet, but I have a feeling that's only due to the fact that the microphone is not free to the average consumer.

I'm not even sure who is worse, the people with headsets that will talk to random people in their own room or the immature pricks. Last night, we had to sit through a match with a guy talking on the phone with his buddy. Just hogging up the channel.

KZObsessed

TheFallen said:
Make no mistake, PSN isn't at the level of immaturity that XBL has just yet, but I have a feeling that's only due to the fact that the microphone is not free to the average consumer.

I've heard so many people use that as a criticism of PSN, but for me it's such a blessing.

Boogat

templeusox said:
I like to join squads which are clan heavy. I know that there will be some attempt at coordination during the game.
I do the same thing. if I'm not playing with my clan at the time, I ALWAYS try and get into the squad that has the most clan members in it. Generally this will turn out much better than playing with a bunch of clan-less guys because they typically (not always) understand what team work is about and also will communicate with each other.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lagspike_exe said:
So little time until launch.

Can't wait to hear bitter Raven and Valor tears.

SVER SUPERIORITY
I seem to recall Valor beating SVER's ass really bad in the beta. :p

Violater said:

PSN did have a golden era. Any gamer that was on both networks after launch will be able to tell you this.

When the PS3 was $599 up until and beyond the first price drop it was really like the adult lounge. :lol

FFObsessed said:
*defects back to S.V.E.R.*

S.V.E.R for lyfe!!1
I'll give you five bucks to join Valor. No questions asked. We'll also throw in some free steak knives.

Anyways, now that this game is about to hit, and we have some beta-veteran players here, what advice would you give for noobs that will soon slam into the floodgates of the MAG launch?

For my part, I'd advise:

- Make sure you have a mic, and that its ready to go.
- Listen to your squad leader and head for those Frago objectives.
- Play defensively. You die quick in this game, but if you use cover and move forward at a steady pace you'll reduce your frustration and move your attacking line up inch by inch. Check the level map and get your bearings before moving out. Level knowledge is whats going to keep you alive over time.
- When in doubt, don't strike out alone. Pick another squad mate and shadow him, not too close, but close enough to provide covering fire as needed.
- If you find yourself alone, in the front, against a defended objective, backtrack a bit and hold tight. Cover your squad getting back into position and when you're rallied together, try to take the objective en masse.
- Medic is a great skill tree to start with, so even if you aren't a rambo or eliter sniper, you'll aid your squad tremendously.

Any more you guys would like to offer up?

Top Bottom