• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Kogepan

commish said:
I get at least 3 or 4 TKs myself on every Domination map from teammates standing near a bunker or whatnot as it explodes. Happens every game.

yeh, this happens to me alot too cuz I equip the motion sensor, and the beeping from that and the C4 sounds similar and I don't realize i'm standing next to a gate/bunker thats ready to blow.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Getting d/c so much tonite, but not just from MAG, from the whole PSN. Frustrating.

/tries again. :D

TheFallen

Kogepan said:
I did read post and took exception to it because you are throwing a hissy fit over 1 game out of 'more than 50-60 hours' of gaming that turned to crap because of a couple of douchebags. So basically 99.99% of your games don't turn out to be TK fests then?

Srsly...wtf with all the whining about randoms not setting fragos? Its the INTERNET..+ 256 players. There will be some idiots from time to time...RELAX.
I'll pretend you're new to this thread and that you completely ignored every post by the more active players. 1 game out of more than 50-60 hours? Even if it only occurred 1 instance, that's still 30 minutes of my time. Excuse me for being frustrated throwing away time better spent enjoying the game. It's unbelievable how someone can be so ignorant that they can't comprehend other players are going to have different experiences with an online game.

Nobody is here trashing MAG. Obviously we've put more hours into it than a majority of games for the past few years. That must mean something. Especially considering how much we've praised the game in the past here in this thread. So I'm not sure why you feel the need to discount our experiences with the game over your own. As you said, and others have said, this is an online game, you have to expect idiots from time to time. So, nobody should be surprised from our complaints. Venting about those occurrences is part of the purpose of a message board, get used to it.

Kogepan

TheFallen said:
I'll pretend you're new to this thread and that you completely ignored every post by the more active players. 1 game out of more than 50-60 hours? Even if it only occurred 1 instance, that's still 30 minutes of my time. Excuse me for being frustrated throwing away time better spent enjoying the game. It's unbelievable how someone can be so ignorant that they can't comprehend other players are going to have different experiences with an online game.

Nobody is here trashing MAG. Obviously we've put more hours into it than a majority of games for the past few years. That must mean something. Especially considering how much we've praised the game in the past here in this thread. So I'm not sure why you feel the need to discount our experiences with the game over your own. As you said, and others have said, this is an online game, you have to expect idiots from time to time. So, nobody should be surprised from our complaints. Venting about those occurrences is part of the purpose of a message board, get used to it.

I never said you were trashing MAG. Only that you gave the impression that the game was messed up due to 'rampant' TKers. And if 30 minutes of your time was wasted due to some psycho, why not just quit out of the game? Instead we have to read ad nauseum about how awesome you are and how all the 'randoms' are stupid and retarded because they can't set a frago so u earn a couple more experience points.

uraldix

Gen X said:
Getting d/c so much tonite, but not just from MAG, from the whole PSN. Frustrating.

/tries again. :D

Had that problem on Friday. Had my worst Dom match ever and then got d/c 4 straight times. Decided to take a MAG break and finish up Dante and Bioshock 2. Back to MAG tonight, hopefully things will go better :)

methane47

SVER gaf sorry for not grouping last night... I wasn't at my PS3 i went outside to watch some tv... and when i came back i was like oh :(

Lince

Banned
Kogepan said:
Instead we have to read ad nauseum about how awesome you are and how all the 'randoms' are stupid and retarded because they can't set a frago so u earn a couple more experience points.

the difference is not a couple more XP points, you fail to understand the very basics of this game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Lince said:
the difference is not a couple more XP points, you fail to understand the very basics of this game.
True, frago is not just for points. It's for Random people in your squad that never use mic, and for whatever reason can't hear you or can not understand you (foreigners.. like Europeans or Japanese).

Lince

Banned
Inanna said:
True, frago is not just for points. It's for Random people in your squad that never use mic, and for whatever reason can't hear you or can not understand you (foreigners.. like Europeans or Japanese).

attacking: waypoint + Frago = get here to destroy this important thing first
defending: Frago + waypoint = defend this while keeping an eye on that

sk3tch

Is anyone else a bit disappointed in the level 60 "end game"
- no in-faction PMC notification or video or kudos...and when you logout/login all you get is the "hit square to go Veteran mode" at the screen. Sure you get a trophy which is cool (although I'm not a collector, really)...

I thought there'd be cool emails or videos or something from the other factions saying "join us!" - i.e. more active recruitment. Oh well. :)

I don't want to jinx this but the games I have had the last 3 or 4 days have been pretty excellent with Raven. If we get in a game and the Squad Leader doesn't know how to frago I am able to get him to step down and hand it to me pretty early if he doesn't want to learn. The general player knowledge seems to be better as well.

I also don't want to brag but I am a pretty kick ass Squad Leader though it doesn't take much to be a good Squad Leader. Knowing when to call in Mortar strikes and using your UAV effectively can give you a huge edge. Constantly changing the objective where you see weak links be it protecting another bunker, repairing road blocks, destroying APCs(This one is critical) or defending key enemy channels gives you a big advantage.

I got 15 kills with a mortar strike yesterday. Poor bastards.

So.... I just signed into MAG.

Accepted my Valor GAF invite.

three minutes later it says I am not in the clan anymore.

my PSN is MyName1sMud

Don't bother sending me another invite. That changed my mind.

P.S.

Someone please explain to me how to use FRAGO

Lince

Banned
MidnightRider said:

my PSN was MyName1sMud

lol? maybe it was a bug or something, ask the guy who sent you the invite. The game was acting up on Saturday night, I was playing some Sabo games with FFO and our clan tags wouldn't show anymore, we thought we had been kicked. If you change your mind again I'll send you another Valor invite.

sk3tch

MidnightRider said:

newav-1.jpg

join S.V.E.R. - we're friendlier ;)

MidnightRider said:
P.S.

Hit select and bring up the map. Use the hot links on the left or manually scroll and hover over a bunker, apc, roadblock ect. that you want to frago and click X.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
sk3tch said:
Is anyone else a bit disappointed in the level 60 "end game"
- no in-faction PMC notification or video or kudos...and when you logout/login all you get is the "hit square to go Veteran mode" at the screen. Sure you get a trophy which is cool (although I'm not a collector, really)...

I thought there'd be cool emails or videos or something from the other factions saying "join us!" - i.e. more active recruitment. Oh well. :)
No idea why it's not there, I've watched at least 2 interviews where they mentioned you'd be "recruited" by other PMC's once you get to higher levels.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I also don't want to brag but I am a pretty kick ass Squad Leader though it doesn't take much to be a good Squad Leader. Knowing when to call in Mortar strikes and using your UAV effectively can give you a huge edge. Constantly changing the objective where you see weak links be it protecting another bunker, repairing road blocks, destroying APCs(This one is critical) or defending key enemy channels gives you a big advantage.
Putting FRAGO's on enemy APC's is definitely important. I rarely see squad leaders putting frago on it though.

TheFallen

MrPliskin said:
So I've killed well over 40 paratroopers. No trophy, stats still say 0 killed. Is this a known issue?
Sometimes stats don't get counted. I've got the same issue with a few. I'm missing medals/ribbons as well. I know they changed their stats server not long ago, perhaps your kills were pre-server change when it was bugged? Could be still happening I guess.

Inanna said:
Putting FRAGO's on enemy APC's is definitely important. I rarely see squad leaders putting frago on it though.

Yeah its a big deal. Ill be in games where the SVER or VALOR will park a APCs somewhere our turrets can't reach them and because its being used as a central spawn point they can wreak havok on your base. That's why I always set them as the objective.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah its a big deal. Ill be in games where the SVER or VALOR will park a APCs somewhere our turrets can't reach them and because its being used as a central spawn point they can wreak havok on your base. That's why I always set them as the objective.
It's also highlighted when it's FRAGO'd so they can't drive away or hide behind million covers on Raven bases. I know you can look at the map, but not everyone is going to do it plus you have to stand still for a few sec and you don't have time for that when things are going crazy.

CozMick

Banned
Finally picked this up today, Awesome game, but more of that later,

Why is the LMG so god damn overpowered?

It's just basically an Assault Rifle with a huge magazine.

S.V.E.R 4 life!

CozMick said:

S.V.E.R 4 life!

Not as accurate especially on the move as the rifles, but with upgrades in skill tree it is pretty accurate especially aimed which I think is one of the biggest problems with it. Also besides most ammo, they do generally most damage per shot. So more ammo, more damage, makes them overpowered. What does accuracy matter when you just hold down trigger and let the bullet volume make up for accuracy issues?

CozMick

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Not as accurate especially on the move as the rifles, but with upgrades in skill tree it is pretty accurate especially aimed which I think is one of the biggest problems with it. Also besides most ammo, they do generally most damage per shot. So more ammo, more damage, makes them overpowered. What does accuracy matter when you just hold down trigger and let the bullet volume make up for accuracy issues?

Until I unlocked the Reflex Scope the LMG was reason enough to think about giving up using the AK,

Also, how do I go about joining S.V.E.R Gaf now that Click has been banned?

Thanks.

CozMick said:

S.V.E.R 4 life!

I don't know I think the Assault Rifle w/ Silencer makes them both a good balance. Numerous times I have wiped out a whole time with my AR plus Silencer because I wasn't popping up on their radar.

Lince

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Numerous times I have wiped out a whole time with my AR plus Silencer because I wasn't popping up on their radar.

that's why I spent skill points on improved shot detection and the acoustic device, for 200cc you sneaky bastards will always show as a red dot on my mini-map :p

Lince said:
that's why I spent skill points on improved shot detection and the acoustic device, for 200cc you sneaky bastards will always show as a red dot on my mini-map :p

i think i will go down the tech tree now lol. i have 5 points to spend. i got full health res and using the lmg. is it worth getting the foregrip if i will be shooting from the hip majority of the time vs scoping?

Malvolio

CozMick said:
Until I unlocked the Reflex Scope the LMG was reason enough to think about giving up using the AK,

Also, how do I go about joining S.V.E.R Gaf now that Click has been banned?

Thanks.

Invite has been sent.

Malvolio

duracell017 said:
i think i will go down the tech tree now lol. i have 5 points to spend. i got full health res and using the lmg. is it worth getting the foregrip if i will be shooting from the hip majority of the time vs scoping?

The foregrip is a must IMO. It has a bigger effect on accuracy than any other talent as far as I can see. In fact, on certain loadouts I strip my gun down to regain some weight, but I never ever remove the foregrip. Only exception is for bi-pod loadouts which are rarely used for me.

Kyoufu

Some douchebag just voted to kick me from the game, and I had the highest score in the squad and was setting up FRAGO points for the objective. Pretty annoying...

Did I miss something? :/

uraldix

I got booted again last night and couldn't reconnect to the server. Is anyone else having connection problems repeatedly? I had problems every now and then before but it seems to be getting worse.

GodofWine

uraldix said:
I got booted again last night and couldn't reconnect to the server. Is anyone else having connection problems repeatedly? I had problems every now and then before but it seems to be getting worse.

Yea, played a few games, last one was with bishop and bajan, and then I lost my connection, but I had spent most of the day vomiting (yea really), so I was ready to log off anyway.

I still, for the record, have no clue whats going on in Domination....acquisition I kinda grasp now (depending on if Im attacking or defending, and where my bunker is, my level of understading varies though.).

and, if they made me attach Valor one more time in Sabo last night, I was gonna scream
(and vomit)

uraldix said:
I get disconnected at least once every night. It's usually the 5:5 error, but sometimes I get a 4:5 or a 13:5.

MrPliskin

Banned
TheFallen said:
Sometimes stats don't get counted. I've got the same issue with a few. I'm missing medals/ribbons as well. I know they changed their stats server not long ago, perhaps your kills were pre-server change when it was bugged? Could be still happening I guess.

Well that sucks! I guess the rage messages I got during that Sabatoge match are all for nothing.

I swear, when my team starts sucking it up and I'm playing with random's, I'll just head back to Charlie (only on the Valor map, valor player BTW) and climb into the attic and pick off paratroopers.

I can't imagine how frustrated one guy was when he dropped in solo about 4 times, each time I took him out :lol Following that he sent me a rage message telling me I was being cheap.

Damaged

Okay im getting paid at the end of the week and seriously debating picking this up, my major concern is that im going to have to sink lots time into the game to get the most out of it.

Will I be able to enjoy this from the get go or am I going to spend the first five hours getting murdered till I can level up enough? My problem is that I dont really have as much time to game these days so I dont want to get put off the game right away by being fresh meat.

icechai

Damaged said:
Okay im getting paid at the end of the week and seriously debating picking this up, my major concern is that im going to have to sink lots time into the game to get the most out of it.

Will I be able to enjoy this from the get go or am I going to spend the first five hours getting murdered till I can level up enough? My problem is that I dont really have as much time to game these days so I dont want to get put off the game right away by being fresh meat.

Join S.V.E.R. for your faction, first few levels fly right by if you're decent at FPS games. Pick up med kit as your first upgrade and resucitation/improved healing. Playing the medic is the fastest way to level up. Playing sniper is the slowest. But all the roles are fun to play once you get around level 40 and can respec to the max of whatever tree you want.

I tried the silenced sniper rifle yesterday and it is fun! Got pretty ridiculous in one match when I would just be proning between grass areas and sniping off those Ravens like crazy. If any got too close the first sniper rifle still works decently as a pistol type gun, and they're never quite sure exactly where you are until they're dead :D Whats even funnier is in domination when I was on a road parallel to their helicopter proning behind a wall, everytime they got out they kept running and dying, but they all thought it was from someone in the building buahhaa.

Damaged

icechai said:
Join S.V.E.R. for your faction, first few levels fly right by if you're decent at FPS games. Pick up med kit as your first upgrade and resucitation/improved healing. Playing the medic is the fastest way to level up. Playing sniper is the slowest. But all the roles are fun to play once you get around level 40 and can respec to the max of whatever tree you want.

I tried the silenced sniper rifle yesterday and it is fun! Got pretty ridiculous in one match when I would just be proning between grass areas and sniping off those Ravens like crazy. If any got too close the first sniper rifle still works decently as a pistol type gun, and they're never quite sure exactly where you are until they're dead :D Whats even funnier is in domination when I was on a road parallel to their helicopter proning behind a wall, everytime they got out they kept running and dying, but they all thought it was from someone in the building buahhaa.

Cool, im not bad at shooters (played allot of COD4/MW2 and counter strike) but im not great. just a bit fed up of disorganised team death match rounds and this sounds like it could be what im looking for with players working together more.

What sort of hours play am i looking at to get to a decent level? I tend to just enjoy playing as a standard grunt / assault rifle type class

MrPliskin

Banned
Damaged said:
Cool, im not bad at shooters (played allot of COD4/MW2 and counter strike) but im not great. just a bit fed up of disorganised team death match rounds and this sounds like it could be what im looking for with players working together more.

What sort of hours play am i looking at to get to a decent level? I tend to just enjoy playing as a standard grunt / assault rifle type class

You'll probably invest about 15 hours before you've got enough skill points to really 'flesh out' your character. Once you've invested about 25+, you should be around the 25-30 level (depending on your playstyle, maybe higher).

Some important things to invest in if you plan on using assault rifles is the foregrip and stability perks, they'll do more for you than wasting your points on the stupid sights (don't waste your points on those).

CozMick

Banned
I take it ranking up becomes more tedious in the later levels?

I've been playing for 8hrs and I'm already rank 20.

Amazing game, Sabotage is my favourite game type, that shit gets crazy, fast!

uraldix

CozMick said:
I take it ranking up becomes more tedious in the later levels?

I've been playing for 8hrs and I'm already rank 20.

Amazing game, Sabotage is my favourite game type, that shit gets crazy, fast!

It gets slower as you go. I remember moving from 55-60 seemed to take forever. When I vetted, I went from level 5 to level 11 in one game and that was quite the change :)

aristotle

Malvolio said:
The foregrip is a must IMO. It has a bigger effect on accuracy than any other talent as far as I can see. In fact, on certain loadouts I strip my gun down to regain some weight, but I never ever remove the foregrip. Only exception is for bi-pod loadouts which are rarely used for me.

I haven't yet bought the bi-pod but is there any use for it? I assumed it's only worth it if you go prone alot.

Malvolio

aristotle said:
I haven't yet bought the bi-pod but is there any use for it? I assumed it's only worth it if you go prone alot.

I don't go prone often, but when I do the bi-pod is amazing. I keep one loadout set with it and switch to it once we've taken a firm hold on our objective and go into defense mode. When you can catch a whole squad running through a door and have no movement on your sight whatsoever the kills come in faster than you can imagine. Even with it's limited use it's worth the points IMO. However, I would save it for the end. Better to have points in Athletics, Electronics or Explosives. I use those talents every match.

MidnightRider said:

my PSN is MyName1sMud

P.S.

Yeah happened to me as well. I chalked it up to me sucking.

Top Bottom