• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah happened to me as well. I chalked it up to me sucking.
It wasn't me. There may be an officer kicking people from the clan but I don't see why they should, everybody starts at the bottom so you can't expect people to be good immediately. I'll reinvite you if you like.

---

Just had my best Sabotage ever attacking SVER, along with two Valor GAF clan members TigerHeli (who got disconnected) and Acos. We were short several players at the beginning, but me and Acos immediately sneaked into B and capped it. I was the platoon leader so I thought I should help A since they were short-handed too. I went through the train tunnel and walked right into A where I knifed a couple dudes and took it, with me and the A squads barely holding them off until C opened. Then I basically got on team broadcast for the rest of the match and yelled at everyone to stop sniping, throw smoke, cover the catwalk, and move up. We must have planted on C ten times before we finally got it. I finished 37-7 with a 12 streak and double the second place MVP's points.

It may sound like I'm bragging but I'm honestly not that good, so for me it was an amazing match where I felt like I really influenced the outcome.

We missed a lot of the regulars last night. Where are you guys?

Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah happened to me as well. I chalked it up to me sucking.
I'll re-invite you again. Who is kicking low-level Valor members? There are no reasons to kick anyone until we reach the clan size limit. Stop it, please.

Edit: :( Rahxephon91 already joined another clan. Now we have even less people playing. I also sent an invite to MyName1sMud.

Puck

Banned
I seriously reckon Sony should bundle this game with all consoles in the near future, or do a MAG + PS3 headset combo.

Hardware Online Action had a very large community with its bundling with the PS2 network adapter.

I really think having MAG as a staple game that is common would be a great thing for Sony.

2w4jr0n.jpg

There already is a headset bundle in some European countries. It's a bit pricey though, 799 sek ($110, £71, 81€) in Sweden .

Puck said:
I seriously reckon Sony should bundle this game with all consoles in the near future, or do a MAG + PS3 headset combo.

Hardware Online Action had a very large community with its bundling with the PS2 network adapter.

I really think having MAG as a staple game that is common would be a great thing for Sony.

Also be nice to have a constant flow of new players through bundles. I just doubt they would want to bundle an online only title.

Lince

Banned
TelemachusD said:
It wasn't me. There may be an officer kicking people from the clan but I don't see why they should

an officer kicking people? the plot thickens :lol
maybe it is something related to the stats/info servers acting up last weekend? I've been "kicked" from the clan twice, the first time I thought it was after a 5:5 error and had to ask FFO for another invite, then that very same night I was playing a Sabotage match with him and our clan tags wouldn't show anymore, after a few games it was ok again.

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 and just got Heavy Rain CE in the mail... I'll be playing MAG later tonight though, gotta crush SVER at least one more time.

edit: it really suits the Valor PMC having an officer kicking/TK'ing mates, not GAF though :/

So I picked this up yesterday, kinda confusing at first but after a while I figured things out. It's really fun, I just wish they made the default sensitivity higher because I felt like I was aiming so slow for over an hour until I realized I could adjust the sensitivity.

uraldix

TelemachusD said:

My internet connection is messed up and they can't fix it until Saturday. I should be back to back to getting my ass kicked in MAG on Sat or Sun.

Somebody has to be the bullet sponge so you guys can take the objectives :D

CozMick

Banned
S.V.E.R just got pounded @ home,

Defending against Valor was an absolute nightmare.

The only 3 players with anything but a respectable score was me and 2 other dudes from Gaf.

Baclk to the fight I go.

Violater

krioto said:

New to PS3 online gaming?
New stuff comes out people who are bored leave.
I know I have already pre-ordered my copy of BF
Its only been a month I know but the same modes same maps are getting boring.

krioto

Violater said:
New to PS3 online gaming?
New stuff comes out people who are bored leave.
I know I have already pre-ordered my copy of BF
Its only been a month I know but the same modes same maps are getting boring.

No, not new at all, but I can't really see the appeal with BFBC.

New stuff will be released, as well as patches - I can't see MAG going anywhere for a while.

Violater

krioto said:

New stuff will be released, as well as patches - I can't see MAG going anywhere for a while.

People will still play, hell people are still playing warhawk.
But the point is many more are going to leave next week, just watch.

krioto said:

It will be around as does any shooter, but the playerbase is going to go to shit. The player numbers is not increasing, it's been on a pretty constant decline since release, and when competition comes out, it just takes more chunks.

And with this game depending on a queue system, it makes getting matches going even harder. Past couple days even it's been taking me longer and longer to get into a match than normal. Game with such large player matches needs a strong community to keep it going when it's queue based.

Neverfade

I picked this up last night.

Not bad, but leveling is painful as I not only went sniper, but I picked the fucking useless first "4x" scope as my first skill. What a waste of 2 points.

Is there anything to repair in suppression? Having the repair gun in a loadout for those matches is useless right?

Neverfade said:

Not bad, but leveling is painful as I not only went sniper, but I picked the fucking useless first "4x" scope as my first skill. What a waste of 2 points.

Is there anything to repair in suppression? Having the repair gun in a loadout for those matches is useless right?

Suppression is supposed to be a training mode, so there's not much you can do but shoot the other team.

Violater

Neverfade said:

I find playing suppression to be even more useless. :/

sk3tch

Neverfade said:

Use the Sabotage mode to level up. Put all your first points into the med kit and resurrection. Use that to farm XP to upgrade your gun. I recommend the heavy class first (use the LMG) and upgrade that baby to the max. Use this to plan your moves.

You know, I like MAG a lot, but I reached level 42, and got bored with it within a week.

The main problem I think, is the lack of maps. I know there's some variety in starting placement and environments, but they all feel the same to me.

sk3tch

SirButterstick said:
You know, I like MAG a lot, but I reached level 42, and got bored with it within a week.

The main problem I think, is the lack of maps. I know there's some variety in starting placement and environments, but they all feel the same to me.

Yeah...it's happening for me and the bummer is it happened right after I hit 60. I don't want to leave S.V.E.R. but without getting XP there seems to be no point. I kinda hate that they have a level cap of 60 and you get nothing for sticking with your PMC. It's like the parents pushing you off to college and telling you to get out of the house. :lol

Ah well...BFBC2 hits next Tues. I will still return to MAG from time to time (except on another PMC, I guess).

SirButterstick said:

Main issue with maps, is that theres lots of them, but we are limited as they are PMC specific.

If they let players switch sides and play on other maps/sides, it would greatly increase the amount of variety in the game.

Issue with variety is with the skill system. Everyone is limited to being effective in one or two roles. My maxed 60 guy had LMG, Athletics, Electronics, the medic stuff plus some knife stuff from Personal defense. Effectively my 4 loadouts were LMG + Motion sensor + Medkit + RPG/Smoke/Frag/Medium Armor. With the 5th being LMG + sensor jammer + medkit + heavy armor for when I got jammed. The point is I'm extremely limited in what I can do. If I want to snipe, or fool around with a shotgun, I have to do a respec, and then I'm stuck doing ONLY that again. I don't mind playing on only a few maps, the problem is I'm stuck doing the same thing over and over again. I can't decide 'gee maybe I'll goof around with a sniper rifle for a bit'. I can't even react to what the team needs, 'gee the team really needs some countersniping right now, OH WELL NOTHING I CAN DO' . In this team game, this is crazy. I feel that's what is limiting the variety. Insert some new maps, I would still be doing the same thing. Loosen up the skill system and it would be a whole new game.

And it's all for no reason that the skill system is so limiting. I find placing the 60 points makes for some interesting decisions, but there's no reason to limit me to one build.

Oh andI haven't been on cause I've been busy with some stuff for my parents, didn't get home until late and only snuck in 1 or 2 games. Hopefully more tonight.

jorma

is now taking requests
Ok so i'm approaching 60 now and want to know what faction to veteran into.. What is the current word in Ravengaf? =)

I was originally thinking Valor since that's where Sver went, but the stories i hear about assholes and teamkilling puts me off a little. I guess i'm leaning towards SVER atm, and will get the smg medal while there. And hopefully the "win 100 major/minor victories" medals as well. I will get the medals for losing before i'm done here in Raven i'm sure :) (even though we've been kicking some ass in Sabotage, 9 of my latest 10 games have been major victories)

fyi:

Patch 1.03

Patch v1.03

Available February 25, 2010 | 41MB (TPPS), 49MB (DLS)

Gameplay

* Overhauled tuning of multiple weapons of all types (see “Weapon” section below)
* Improved speed of weapon and gear swapping by approximately 500 milliseconds.
* Fixed bug in SVER’s Aralkum Mechanical Acquisition map and Absheron Refinery Domination map that allowed players to defuse a charge planted on a repaired gate or door.
* Added a “solid tone” sound effect near the end of a charge’s beeping detonation timer so that players know when the charge can no longer be defused and that they should vacate the area.
* “Medium Improved” Armor now works as intended with the speed properties of Medium Armor and a defensive value greater than Medium, but less than Heavy Armor.
* Changed resuscitated player’s camera orientation to match the last camera direction used while incapacitated instead of the pre-harm camera.
* Players no longer lose XP if a teammate is killed by an objective explosion caused by a charge they planted.
* Respec Point requirements in Barracks have been changed from 3K, 5K, 10K, 17K, 26K, and 26K-Repeat to 1K, 2K, 3K, and 3K-Repeat.
* Lowered the amount of damage necessary to kill an incapacitated enemy
* All fired projectiles (RPGs, Turret Rockets) have been given a steadier aim.
* Mines that haven’t been triggered are no longer removed from the map when the dead player that deploys them respawns unless that player changes their Loadout (note: The maximum number of mines you can plant cannot exceed the number you initially spawn with).
* Fixed bug that prevented “fully-resuscitated” players with more than 100 health points from receiving their full HP.
* Fixed bug that caused players to take unnecessary damage from both friendly and enemy vehicles when touching them.
* Players no longer lose leadership points after entering “Veteran Mode.”

Weapons

* “From the hip” firing for Light and Medium machine guns have stronger recoil and are less accurate when moving.
* Tuned weapon damage for all three factions.
* Modified all short-ranged weapons (pistols, PDWs, shotguns, SMGs) so that they’re less effective at long distances.
* Made Battle Rifles more effective.
* Reduced accuracy bonus for using iron sights and reflex sights so that players can no longer snipe with weapons that aren’t intended to do so.
* Increased damage values for all rockets to make them more effective (ex: three rockets can now destroy a DE turret).
* Shooting through thin materials (fences, tents, etc.) will be more consistent.
* Increased spread on shotguns.
* Improved animations for rocket launchers.

Graphics

* Fixed bug that caused the recoil animation to end early or stop animating if a player was firing their weapon for a long period of time.
* Changed detonation time on smoke and poison gas grenades to prevent them from exploding in mid-air.
* Added realistic fogging effects to sky-domes.

Technical

* Fixed most conditions that caused players to be caught in a “respawn loop” which kept restarting the respawn queue when the countdown clock reached 0.
* Changed in-game conditions to make it less likely to experience in-game freezes.
* Improved client-side stability.

EDIT: Posted the whole thing

surefire1982 said:
fyi:

Patch notes
Finally a fixing of the re spawn loop.

Now all we need is some info on actual new content.

I'll re-invite you again. Who is kicking low-level Valor members? There are no reasons to kick anyone until we reach the clan size limit. Stop it, please.

Edit: :( Rahxephon91 already joined another clan. Now we have even less people playing. I also sent an invite to MyName1sMud.
Oh I just made a geek clan that at this moment contains only myself. I'll leave it soon if you actually do want to re-invite me.

surefire1982 said:
* “From the hip” firing for Light and Medium machine guns have stronger recoil and are less accurate when moving.

Fuck yea!

surefire1982 said:
* Modified all short-ranged weapons (pistols, PDWs, shotguns, SMGs) so that they’re less effective at long distances.

Wha? Shotguns already are useless past like 10 feet.

surefire1982 said:
* Made Battle Rifles more effective.

This is interesting.

surefire1982 said:
* Increased damage values for all rockets to make them more effective (ex: three rockets can now destroy a DE turret).

Maybe people will now use rockets!

surefire1982 said:
* Increased spread on shotguns.

Don't know if this is meant as a nerf or to make them more deadly at close range.

surefire1982 said:
fyi:
* Respec Point requirements in Barracks have been changed from 3K, 5K, 10K, 17K, 26K, and 26K-Repeat to 1K, 2K, 3K, and 3K-Repeat.

To me, this is probably the most exciting change, as I love to fine tune my specs and loadouts.

hmm i guess its time to use scope again with the LMG since firing from the hip is less effective? or shouldnt matter as much since i have so many rounds per clip?

I'm wondering what they mean by "Made Battle Rifles more effective"

-more damage?
-better accuracy at range?
-higher reserve ammo capacity?

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Nightz

surefire1982 said:
It seems like the max respec cost will be 3k, and will reset back to 1k
I think 3K-Repeat means once you've hit the 3K respec mark, the rest of your respecs will only cost 3K.

surefire1982 said:
I'm wondering what they mean by "Made Battle Rifles more effective"

-more damage?
-better accuracy at range?
-higher reserve ammo capacity?

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

I doubt they'll modify the ammo capacity. Slightly higher damage would be my guess.

roxya

Hope the shotgun spread nerf isn't too drastic. I stopped enjoying the game long ago and only found it fun again when I switched to shotgun.

Fixed1979

Fixed bug in SVER’s Aralkum Mechanical Acquisition map and Absheron Refinery Domination map that allowed players to defuse a charge planted on a repaired gate or door.

About time. I smell a MAG weekend coming on.

Lots of nice changes in that list, looking forward to it being released.

Violater

Bamelin said:
Thank god they fixed the "disarm explosives from behind door" bug. Maybe SVER domination will be worth playing on again.

Cowards.
Facing SVER in domination is what I look forward to the most.

Top Bottom