• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Palmer_v1

Is it just me or does it sound like they stealth bumped snipers by making it harder to kill them from long range? That's spectacular. Let's encourage more people to snipe when 9 out of 10 are already a waste of squad space.

Also, why did the shotgun and SMG need to be nerfed? I've never felt they even came close to dominating an MG user.

I love the RPG boost since it will also make it easier to kill vehicles.

Palmer_v1 said:
Is it just me or does it sound like they stealth bumped snipers by making it harder to kill them from long range? That's spectacular. Let's encourage more people to snipe when 9 out of 10 are already a waste of squad space.

Or it means giving snipers more of a purpose. One of the issues with snipers is that one could sniper with an assault rifle just as easily, only real difference was snipers having longer ranged scopes. Snipers are a waste in the game, but they were even more worthless before since assault rifle users could do similar role and be more useful for other purposes as well.

Course if your playing in squads with 9 of 10 being snipers, something is really awkward going on, never seen anything close to that.

Violater

Palmer_v1 said:

Also, why did the shotgun and SMG need to be nerfed? I've never felt they even came close to dominating an MG user.

SMG killing you from assault rifle range is ridiculous.
Sniping with an LMG is even more ridiculous and I have been doing it since day 1 so I should know.

Next thing they need to nerf is that long distance commando knife swipe.

Fixed1979

Palmer_v1 said:

This is also really good, I would have also been happy with the ability to increase the amount of ammo we can carry. It was pretty stupid to hit something with all of your rockets only to have to go back and re-supply with more in order to take it down.

Malvolio

So glad they fixed the LMG. I went from 0-60 using the AR and never got one Grim Reaper medal and my kill streak record was 12. I've been using the LMG for 4 days and I have probably 30-40 Grim Reaper medals and a new kill streak of 32. Can't wait to get back to the flexibility of the AR.

Battle rifles are already quite accurate, the only boost I can imagine is bumping their damage to be more in line with the LMG damage.

Violater said:
SMG killing you from assault rifle range is ridiculous.
Sniping with an LMG is even more ridiculous and I have been doing it since day 1 so I should know.

Next thing they need to nerf is that long distance commando knife swipe.

Except in mag, SMG's killing at assault rifle range is not common, this isn't MW where one can somehow snipe people with a machine pistol. The baffling about the nerfs is that it wasn't an issue with MAG.

Palmer_v1

BattleMonkey said:
Battle rifles are already quite accurate, the only boost I can imagine is bumping their damage to be more in line with the LMG damage.

Except in mag, SMG's killing at assault rifle range is not common, this isn't MW where one can somehow snipe people with a machine pistol. The baffling about the nerfs is that it wasn't an issue with MAG.

The MG nerfs are to be expected, but i agree that the shotgun and SMG nerfs are coming out of left field here.

Violater

BattleMonkey said:

Dunno man I have seen it happen and complained about it more than once.
Obviously other people did too.

BattleMonkey said:

I'm and SMG user, and I have sniped people at the top of the Valor Sabo C stage while on the ground...that is extreme range, and thanks to zero recoil from the SMG, perfectly doable.

MrPliskin

Banned
Violater said:
Now show us some new maps. :/

The game has been out for what, maybe a month if that? I don't think they're going to pump out new maps THAT fast.

I think what they should do, ultimately, is make "neutral" maps, where the factions are battling for territory. Throwing maybe 3 neutral maps in the mix with the PMC specific ones should balance things out quite nicely.

The maps as they are, are large enough and varied enough that defending a different set of burnout towers is enough to really feel completely different from another spot. The problem is the area's after the burnout towers. Those are all identicle for the most part, and there's almost no variety in defending those areas. They should focus on fixing that.

Rotating out your defensive areas and / or attacking areas though is like different maps with similar settings, not boring to me at all.

icechai

wooo awesome patch. Should be interesting to see how this changes play dynamics, also should make bi-pods more useful now that there's more recoil.

surefire1982 said:
I'm and SMG user, and I have sniped people at the top of the Valor Sabo C stage while on the ground...that is extreme range, and thanks to zero recoil from the SMG, perfectly doable.

Except it's barely sniping since it still takes a bunch of hits before anyone dies. If idiots are sitting their as you plink them to death with a SMG then that's their own problem for not moving. And if you get a head shot with a reflex sight, good on ya.

I just hope they didn't go stupid and kill the range too heavily on the SMG as it already was not that amazing of a gun, nor was "sniping with smg's" a problem with the game.

CozMick said:
Is the down the iron sights accuracy of the lmg getting nerfed also?

Getting picked off from 200yrds is damn annoying.

Most maps you can't even see something at over 100 yards, I really doubt people are sniping at such extreme ranges with reflex scopes. The game does have a draw distance.

MrPliskin

Banned
One thing I wish they would do is increase the zones for FRAGO bonus's. Sometimes I feel like you are encouraged to let the enemy start pushing into your base. It would be nice to see something like zones, so really close to the FRAGO get's a 2x bonus, but further out still get's a .5x bonus, and outside of that gets no bonus. I think it'll help keep pacing a bit better in battles and give players some incentive to venture off and try to take out the enemy in a larger battle zone.

I really can't describe this well, does anyone get what I mean? Maybe I need to make a diagram, lol.

BattleMonkey said:
Except it's barely sniping since it still takes a bunch of hits before anyone dies. If idiots are sitting their as you plink them to death with a SMG then that's their own problem for not moving. And if you get a head shot with a reflex sight, good on ya.

I just hope they didn't go stupid and kill the range too heavily on the SMG as it already was not that amazing of a gun, nor was "sniping with smg's" a problem with the game.

Most maps you can't even see something at over 100 yards, I really doubt people are sniping at such extreme ranges with reflex scopes. The game does have a draw distance.

It is sniping though. There is no reason for an SMG to kill anyone from a distance. They are used for close range secondary fire only (i.e. you're in a gun fight, run out of ammo, and need to switch). As it is right now, it IS overpowered for it's purpose. You shouldn't be able to kill anyone (rliably) over 75m, max.

Things like Assault Rifles should be able to kill between 75m and 150m easily, with 150m-300m requiring ironsights and stability perks. (The problem here being draw distance).

LMG's now look like they serve their purpose as area target weapons capable of laying down surpressive fire to groups of enemies, instead of being point target weapons (which was absurd). That is, afterall, what they were designed to do.

Also, you can see people from distances of 100m in the game, and beyond that you can still see their name above their head (unless they have the necessary perks to get rid of it). With a little practice, it's not a problem shooting below the name with LMG's and SMG's, unfortunately. The only weapon that should be doing that is maybe the Assault Rifles and the Sniper Rifles for sure.

MrPliskin said:
The game has been out for what, maybe a month if that? I don't think they're going to pump out new maps THAT fast.

I think what they should do, ultimately, is make "neutral" maps, where the factions are battling for territory. Throwing maybe 3 neutral maps in the mix with the PMC specific ones should balance things out quite nicely.

The maps as they are, are large enough and varied enough that defending a different set of burnout towers is enough to really feel completely different from another spot. The problem is the area's after the burnout towers. Those are all identicle for the most part, and there's almost no variety in defending those areas. They should focus on fixing that.

Rotating out your defensive areas and / or attacking areas though is like different maps with similar settings, not boring to me at all.

I was thinking the same... Maybe a pack of 2 Sabotage and 2 Acquisition maps, with defenders and attackers being switched depending on the Shadow War? Throw in some nice art style into the mix (I believe there was an awesome concept of a football stadium that I would LOVE to see in the game) and you've got me day 1. :p

MrPliskin said:
It is sniping though. There is no reason for an SMG to kill anyone from a distance. They are used for close range secondary fire only (i.e. you're in a gun fight, run out of ammo, and need to switch). As it is right now, it IS overpowered for it's purpose. You shouldn't be able to kill anyone (rliably) over 75m, max.

You're talking about PDW's, they're talking about the SMG primary I think.

---

So is the battle rifle the assault rifles? Or the first sniper (marksman?) rifle?

You know I never thought the hip fire with the LMG was the problem, it's horriblely inaccurate and takes a long time to kill someone like that. Granted you have 100 bullets to spray at someone, but clip size is central to LMG's. Otherwise it sounded like any nerfing the LMG received, the assault rifles got hit with as well. I never thought the shotgun was broken, I've was planning on using it soon, but it's never bothered me being used by an opponent.

And yeah, killing someone with an SMG at range takes a LONG time. I dunno, I felt the SMG was fairly balanced for it's cost.

EDIT

Tuned weapon damage for all factions is annoyingly vague.

MrPliskin said:
Which faction gets an SMG as a primary? I thought that they were only Secondary weapons?
All factions get SMG as primary...in the CQC tree....the Raven one is a P90, which is deadly accurate at range, with ZERO recoil.

Yes, I am plinking them with damage, but all my bullets should not hit. I should be struggling to hit something at 200m+ with an SMG

surefire1982 said:
All factions get SMG as primary...in the CQC tree....the Raven one is a P90, which is deadly accurate at range, with ZERO recoil.

Yes, I am plinking them with damage, but all my bullets should not hit. I should be struggling to hit something at 200m+ with an SMG

hmmmmm

What does SVER get as theirs?

GodofWine

I cannot count how many times I received a sniping range SMG death via head shot, they were overpowered, maybe not in damage, but in range or something.

To me, it sounds like they got this patch perfectly correct, a coworker of mine agrees with all the tweaks as well.

Now :

LMGs are beastly, but cannot be used in close quarters as well - that sounds right
LMGs will not snipe well anymore - right
AR's now have a purpose - right
Top tier AR's worth having - right
SMG's will have SUB-machine gun range - right

Respec change, totally cool with me.

MrPliskin

Banned
surefire1982 said:

Ah, I never did anything in the CQC tree. I had assumed those were secondary weapons since they were paired with the Pistol for reload times and stuff.

Edit: The problem with the SMG's wasn't the range. Range isn't an issue with them. It's the accuracy OVER range.

If an assault rifle has a maximum effective range for a point target at 300m, then an SMG should EASILY be half of that (i.e. you should have trouble picking off a point target from 150m or greater). The reason AR's are so much more effective at further distances is because they are fired with two hands with far more support, vs an SMG which is basically fired similarly to a pistol. Should be WAY less accurate. But don't nerf the range, that's just silly.

MrPliskin said:
Ah, I never did anything in the CQC tree. I had assumed those were secondary weapons since they were paired with the Pistol for reload times and stuff.

The pistol/knife/PDW stuff is in the Personal Defense Tree....confusing, i know...:lol

Valor randoms are really outdoing themselves tonight. Blatant racism and/or homophobia three games in a row.

@Rahxephon91: Send me a message over PSN if you want another clan invite.

awesome patch!

one thing though:

* “Medium Improved” Armor now works as intended with the speed properties of Medium Armor and a defensive value greater than Medium, but less than Heavy Armor.

How about finally giving me and others the armor which we paid for by buying the more expensive PAL CE?
I know SCEE is responsible for this, but still...

sk3tch

Yeah, we'll see how the SMG nerf plays out. I'm currently running SMG and I have been pretty happy. You CAN snipe pretty well with it due to the long-range accuracy and the fact that you can toss in a suppressor and electronics and you're basically invisible. So you may not one-shot kill but you can get in your 4-7 shots to kill because folks are running towards you and not sure where it's coming from if you are at the right angle.

And when I say snipe I refer to camping out in a relatively hidden spot and killing dudes as they stream in or as they go to an objective (for example).

I hope SMG isn't over nerfed... Currently running a commando setup and I need like 150 more kills for the SMG medal, so I hope it's not too bad. :p

Dai Kaiju

I clicked on this thread by accident, but for some reason I still read the OP. I don't know jack about this game other than what was mentioned there. I don't even have a PS3. I saw the 3 factions though and I'm just curious to know what happened to all the Asians after WW3. Or were they all on the side that lost? :lol

sk3tch

Dai Kaiju said:
I clicked on this thread by accident, but for some reason I still read the OP. I don't know jack about this game other than what was mentioned there. I don't even have a PS3. I saw the 3 factions though and I'm just curious to know what happened to all the Asians after WW3. Or were they all on the side that lost? :lol

I think the S.V.E.R. PMC has Asian dudes in it. We're just masked up to scare ya so you can't tell!

Lagspike_exe said:
I hope SMG isn't over nerfed... Currently running a commando setup and I need like 150 more kills for the SMG medal, so I hope it's not too bad. :p

I'm sure that short-medium range, SMG's will still rock (running a commando setup as well), but long ranges we'll just have to forget about it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Interesting changes. Everyone will admit that LMGs are ridiculous, and I'm noticing that as more and more ppl use SMGs, they are a bit crazy too. I used ARs for the first 30 or so levels as SVER, so I'm eager to see how improved they are. Just making hip-fire less accurate isn't going to change much, since I don't hip-fire too I like some of the attachments for the AR, so I hope its a viable substitute for the LMG.

Also glad to see they fixed the "defuse door bomb through the door" bug on SVERs map. Always infuriated me.

Just read through the patch notes. Sounds substantial and they have already addressed a lot of my issues. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Lince

Banned
nice and mostly fair patch, LMGs were too awesome to be true (let's face it, they're better than an AR + Sniper rifle combined) so can't wait to try them out now. I love the changes to the re-spec system, now if you're bored with your character you can switch to sniper/commando/stealth or Rambo specs more often. And 3 "easier to aim" rockets to blow up a turret + no more disarming C4 from inside the pump stations ? can't wait for SVER outrages, black-mailing and massive defections starting tomorrow.

on the other hand...

Modified all short-ranged weapons (pistols, PDWs, shotguns, SMGs) so that they’re less effective at long distances.

shotguns? FFS, Valor shotgun can't kill shit 3 feet away from the fucking barrel as it is now...

Palmer_v1

One of my favorite recurring scenarios is this:

1. Deliberately spawn in the back on domination so I can grab a vehicle for bunker/AAA defense
  2. Proceed to kill 20-30 people in the first 10 minutes as they attempt to overrun said objectives
  3. Have some random fuckwad jump in the driver's seat, despite me actively shooting at people with the turret
  4. Rage in prox chat as he drives back to the spawn area so he can fix the fucking sensor array or a random gate
  5. Watch in horror as the bunker/AAA I was formerly protecting gets blown to shit
  6. ?????
  7. Profit?

It happens to me every other game I think. I'm often platoon leader when I grab the vehicles so I don't even need to worry about repairing it for the most part, but it's all for naught when any dipshit can jump into your vehicle. I wish there was an option to prevent non-squad members from entering an occupied vehicle.

Lince

Banned
commish said:

he also left the clan... maybe switched over to Raven?

anyway, I had 3 Domination games and called it a night since I'm really tired today, Valor steamrolled both Raven and SVER, it was a fantastic way to put an end to this "version" of the game. Let's see how it goes from tomorrow on.

edit: people already complaining on the official forums, can't wait!

methane47

Oh lawdy lawd... patch tommorow with weapon [fixes]?

I better play the game now and get some kills cuz clearly tommorow night the game will be nerfed (SMG + LMG specced) :(

Barnzini

Neo Member
SolidusDave said:
awesome patch!

one thing though:

How about finally giving me and others the armor which we paid for by buying the more expensive PAL CE?
I know SCEE is responsible for this, but still...

Im in Aus and imported the Pal collectors edition (product code BCES 00558/S) And entered my redeem code and was able to download the themes and of course the armour upgrade is nowhere to be seen....

If i buy games from UK i can download DLC from the aus store and it works fine....guess this time it didn't.

Found this link http://forums.mag.com/mag/board/message?board.id=issues&thread.id=5179
Which basically says ring up Sony to get a new code.. Well i tried that and was told since its a UK game i'm shit outta luck

Ohwell.

Holy crap, where the hell are all you guys located, I get brutal lag in those matches we play.

And if anyone was wondering why I wasn't covering the explosives on the AAA with the APC, I couldn't. It looked like I had a clear shot, but for some reason the bullets were clipping on something, I dunno it was mildly frustrating.

archnemesis said:
Valor randoms are really outdoing themselves tonight. Blatant racism and/or homophobia three games in a row.

@Rahxephon91: Send me a message over PSN if you want another clan invite.
I would if I knew your PSN name. I'm on at the moment so yeah!

Palmer_v1 said:
One of my favorite recurring scenarios is this:

1. Deliberately spawn in the back on domination so I can grab a vehicle for bunker/AAA defense
  2. Proceed to kill 20-30 people in the first 10 minutes as they attempt to overrun said objectives
  3. Have some random fuckwad jump in the driver's seat, despite me actively shooting at people with the turret
  4. Rage in prox chat as he drives back to the spawn area so he can fix the fucking sensor array or a random gate
  5. Watch in horror as the bunker/AAA I was formerly protecting gets blown to shit
  6. ?????
  7. Profit?

It happens to me every other game I think. I'm often platoon leader when I grab the vehicles so I don't even need to worry about repairing it for the most part, but it's all for naught when any dipshit can jump into your vehicle. I wish there was an option to prevent non-squad members from entering an occupied vehicle.

It's awesome when you can't ever use the APC as a spawn because some asshole drives it straight at a bunker every fucking time.

commish

Lince said:
he also left the clan... maybe switched over to Raven?

anyway, I had 3 Domination games and called it a night since I'm really tired today, Valor steamrolled both Raven and SVER, it was a fantastic way to put an end to this "version" of the game. Let's see how it goes from tomorrow on.

edit: people already complaining on the official forums, can't wait!

No way can I go Raven... I just don't have it in me. If you guys stick with Valor, I'll stay Valor. If you go back to SVER, I'll go back to SVER. If you go Raven, I'll cry.

Anyway, is any of the regular valor gaf crew getting bad company 2 next week? I'm considering....

Palmer_v1

weekend_warrior said:
It's awesome when you can't ever use the APC as a spawn because some asshole drives it straight at a bunker every fucking time.

Yeah, the crappy APC driver is definitely a corollary to my problem.

commish

if you ever want to see valor gaf mad, PLEASE take our apc and drive somewhere retarded with it. it's an instant "what the FUCK are you doing?!" I love it.

Lince

Banned
commish said:
No way can I go Raven... I just don't have it in me. If you guys stick with Valor, I'll stay Valor. If you go back to SVER, I'll go back to SVER. If you go Raven, I'll cry.

Anyway, is any of the regular valor gaf crew getting bad company 2 next week? I'm considering....

I'm staying Valor until the first DLC (new maps, PMC or modes) hits, I realized a gold trophy isn't worth of grinding my way in Raven alone since no one intends to switch over/have switched yet. Bad Company 2? too many singleplayer goodness incoming (GoW and FF) so maybe in mid-April...

Top Bottom