• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
roxya said:
I agree with anyone who doesn't like the way Zipper "fixed" the weapons, however, for me there are far more important issues that are ruining the game for me.

The worst thing for me is the crippling lag from Europe, the level of which wouldn't have been acceptable 10 years ago on a 56k modem (I know, I played the shit out of quake 2 on 56k). How many more times can I die from bullets that were shot at least 500ms ago while I'm already in cover? Or shoot someone in the face with a shotgun but it doesn't register because the server thinks I'm already dead, and my client didn't know it yet? I like how they don't tell us our ping or rate our connections...

Second is the reliance on teamwork when 90% of people playing are idiots. FRAGO gets ignored, people think objectives will somehow magically be taken if they stand 50-80m away and have a long range battle with the defenders. People drive APCs straight to a spot with line-of-sight for two bunkers, over and over.

I don't think Zipper can do anything about the latter, except make a different game.

The stupidity of squads is the most annoying thing. After 100 or so hours of being a grunt, I am now trying out being SL, and it's just infuriating. I frago to destroy the bunker, and 3 ppl snipe the burn-off, 2 people run around looking for SVER to shoot at, 1 goes for the bunker and the last quits. And I've had enough of idiots getting into APCs and running off and driving the apc into a turret's range and getting out.

GodofWine

BruceLeeRoy said:
I use the LMG exclusively and I still have no problem taking people out a good distance away. I can no longer snipe with the gun but that's the way it should be. I have never had a moment where I am like ah shit the guy just ran out of my effective shooting zone guess I am fu#@ed. .

Exactly...any gun in the game can still get you out of any situation you are in, but now there are guns you wish you were carrying at certain times...and this is right.

Also, while we all want our 'online persona' to be a super soldier who can hit an apple with an Assault rifle/LMG/SMG from the hip at 250m (or scoped), not many people are going to be that accurate in real life...so its time to face it, we are not cyborg-marksmen :D (though I swear with the Hollis from 100m I can hit 9/10 times when firing using only sights and no attachment).

roxya said:
The worst thing for me is the crippling lag from Europe, the level of which wouldn't have been acceptable 10 years ago on a 56k modem (I know, I played the shit out of quake 2 on 56k). How many more times can I die from bullets that were shot at least 500ms ago while I'm already in cover? Or shoot someone in the face with a shotgun but it doesn't register because the server thinks I'm already dead, and my client didn't know it yet? I like how they don't tell us our ping or rate our connections...

They have dedicated server farms (for free) around the world and among other factors you are directed to the one with the most players of your region/country (= also no lag exclusively for a specific region myth)
I don't think you can make a 256 player shooter that much better server-wise.

Maybe an option like KZ2 to choose your region but this would affect the dynamic of the game (healthy playerbase 24/7).

Though I agree the occasional dying behind cover sucks, but sometimes I think it actually was legit due to a last hit to a bodypart not yet behind cover (and the hitboxes are really accurate even if your ego-view doesn't show it) + me falling forward in my point of view (I see this when I'm sniping people running)

roxya

SolidusDave said:
They have dedicated server farms (for free) around the world and among other factors you are directed to the one with the most players of your region/country (= also no lag exclusively for a specific region myth)

I thought it was said that the server is selected based on where the majority of queued people are from, rather than putting you in a region specific queue? If I'm queued mostly with Americans (and 90% of voice chatter I hear is American, so I assume this is the case), then I'm likely playing on American servers.

In any case, this is mostly in Domination. Sabotage isn't laggy but Sabotage is boring, same goes for Acquisition...

roxya said:
I thought it was said that the server is selected based on where the majority of queued people are from, rather than putting you in a region specific queue? If I'm queued mostly with Americans (and 90% of voice chatter I hear is American, so I assume this is the case), then I'm likely playing on American servers.

mhh this is possible, though in this case you should also only be playing with Americans in the late evening/night GMT as more of them are online by then.

roxya

SolidusDave said:
mhh this is possible, though in this case you should also only be playing with Americans in the late evening/night GMT as more of them are online by then.

I work full time so I'm pretty much only playing late evening :(

BruceLeeRoy said:
I use the LMG exclusively and I still have no problem taking people out a good distance away. I can no longer snipe with the gun but that's the way it should be. I have never had a moment where I am like ah shit the guy just ran out of my effective shooting zone guess I am fu#@ed.

Well I dunno how else to put it. Before I could aim better than most people I met, I still can now, but my bullets just spread wildly so it doesn't matter.

BruceLeeRoy said:
And the there are several spots on SVERs domination map that have been changed to make it not such a bottleneck if your attacking.

Wasn't aware of that, are there pictures of this somewhere?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Didn't play the game for a week and jumped on yesterday..I didn't really notice any difference. I took the chance to respec but went with my good old LMG and it felt the same as ever. Shot the wall a few times to check the bullet spray and it didn't seem crazy or anything. Felt like good old MAG to me!

Couple things I noticed with my respec..

Not having knife speed/range really sucks.. when you have them it feels like they don't do anything but going from having them to not having them is definitely noticeable. Not sure if I want to go back and get them though.

Trying out the tier 5 Valor sniper rifle. Wow. This thing makes sniping fun. I've always been a sniper in FPS games and this is the most fun I've had. I only brought it out on Sabotage when A and B were destroyed, otherwise I doubt I'd get much XP for a game. I really want to try it in Domination though..

krioto

roxya said:
I work full time so I'm pretty much only playing late evening :(

This is odd - I pretty much only play late in the evenings (GMT) and have no issues with lag, and often am teamed up with americans. Do you have issues with any other online games?

commish

TelemachusD said:
Can I get a Raven GAF invite? I just veteraned over.

Traitor! I'm level 59... so close... did you get Bad Company 2? I guess I'll know when I hop online later.

andycapps

So, Raven GAF, I will return once I've finished Heavy Rain and Bioshock 2. So probably another week or two at the rate I play games. But if I need a break from those I'll probably hop on.

Also, I got the PS3 keypad so I have something to type back with now if you guys send me a message so I don't just have to respond with, "K" or "U too". :lol

GodofWine

Raven Battle Rifle Review:

Packs good punch, with 4x scope and grip, it is extremely accurate at range. Accurate from hip, very accurate when prone.

25 bullets per clip is troublesome, and still leads me to want to use the LMG.

Why is acquisition so low in terms of player count? I really though that Domination would fade first...

and does anyone else just go into suppression and ask the high ranking people in there why they are play that mode only??

GodofWine said:
and does anyone else just go into suppression and ask the high ranking people in there why they are play that mode only??

probably because it's the only mode in which it's possible to kill all these stupid fucks of your PMC with no penalty, actually you even gain exp ;)

GodofWine

roxya said:
Acquisition is basically a more boring version of Domination.

Yea, I just figured people would graduate from Sab, to Acq, to Dom...but they seem to skip Dom...which is why no one has a clue what they are doing in Dom.

ibu

Been away for a while... sorry folks. I am doing my training for the marines and I have my physicals this and next month. They have crept up out of the unexpected blue.

So I won't be on half as much as I would like to be, each day is a long run/swim and weights for me.

But I may pop on for a quick 30-45 mins now as I am not off to the gym till 2:45pm GMT.

Liberty4all

Banned
I haven't played in a couple weeks now, I really need to try out the game post patch. The big problem (for me ) though is that there are too many games vying for my attention. Sega All Star Racing, Aliens vs Predator, Greed Corp, and of course Battlefield. Not to mention a massive backlog of older titles.

Speaking of Battlefield did anyone notice a drop in population last night?

lol this game sounds exactly like BF2 when it first released, people whined and bitched and DICE nerfed/broke the game. They took them 4 patches (1.4) to finally get the right balance.

I haven't touched the game after the patch but it sounds weird that they nerfed ARs as well. I thought those were pretty balanced gun, right there between sniper and SMGs. IMO SMGs were the problem here. I gotta give it a try.

andycapps

Bamelin said:
I haven't played in a couple weeks now, I really need to try out the game post patch. The big problem (for me ) though is that there are too many games vying for my attention. Sega All Star Racing, Aliens vs Predator, Greed Corp, and of course Battlefield. Not to mention a massive backlog of older titles.

MAG changed a lot with the patch, to me. The 1st tier Raven LMG is pretty much useless from the hip and useless other than 3 round bursts. Which is probably as it should have been. Regardless, I switched to the second tier assault rifle with 4x scope, foregrip, and suppressor and am loving that so far, minus the decreased clip size obviously.

commish

Bamelin said:

I didn't notice a drop in population (although EVERYONE on my friends list but telemachus was playing BC2) but I noticed a drop in Valor skill level. We were losing our sabotage map within 5 minutes numerous times in a row. I admit I was being useless and fooling around with sniping until they opened up C (um, 1 minute, 14 seconds). Before, I might lose 1 or 2 sabo defenses a night, tops. It's so easy to defend.

I played around with the weapons last night after hitting 60 again. Snipers are useless; I don't know how people play that for hours on end, every map type. The A/R was okay, but the small clip size (25 of the gun I was using) made it infinitely worse than a LMG. I'm just gonna stick with my shotgun and mines. Hearing people bitch over proximity chat about shotguns or, even better, "be careful over here, he has a shotgun".

GodofWine

andycapps said:
MAG changed a lot with the patch, to me. The 1st tier Raven LMG is pretty much useless from the hip and useless other than 3 round bursts. Which is probably as it should have been. .

And that makes you smarter than 99% of the people who complained about the new LMG.

I respec'd to the T3 AR (raven), with 4x scope, its a total jack of all trades, but if that had a 40 bullet clip, it'd be godly.

I really think they need to start giving each PMC specific toys...like do a Raven announcment upon log in that 'We have developed a new lightweight AR' / 'thermal scope', or have valor find an even bigger and heavier LMG , and give Sver more duct tape to wrap around their guns (perhaps a new grendade or something). Keep it fresh by adding PMC specific perks that go along with their story.

Lince

Banned
GodofWine said:
And that makes you smarter than 99% of the people who complained about the new LMG.

?

well, if you still fail to understand why in a videogame a single shot should be accurate if aimed properly... I can adapt to anything recoil and range wise but seeing a perfect aimed shot flying sideways, just no. I guess I'm not as smart as you guys.

Harry_Manback

Neo Member
Lince said:
?

well, if you still fail to understand why in a videogame a single shot should be accurate if aimed properly... I can adapt to anything recoil and range wise but seeing a perfect aimed shot flying sideways, just no. I guess I'm not as smart as you guys.
Don't bother. They're not listening.

Violater

Lince said:
?

Def not as smart as me but that's off topic :lol

Playing BC2 makes me realize the things zipper got right and also the things they got horribly wrong. to name a few

Voice chat, proximity chat is pure ace.
Unlock and gear system is great

There should be a spawn on squad leader function.
There should be no way the enemy to get past a certain point to spawn camp.

theBishop

Banned
roxya said:
It's quite rare for me to see a Raven officer online, though I only play GMT evenings...

RavenGaf in general has been hit hard. Not many people on. I'm an officer though, I'll send invites.

Trevelyan

Banned
theBishop said:
RavenGaf in general has been hit hard. Not many people on. I'm an officer though, I'll send invites.
I'm still here! Just on a mini-vacation visiting the woman in San Fran. Once I'm back in Tahoe I'll be back on every night like usual. :D

WarMacheen

theBishop said:

Send me an invite, I was going with Sver, but changed my mind. Raven now.

PSN = WarMacheen

andycapps

Lince said:
?

I'm guessing you're talking to him, but if it was to me then I agree with you. The first shot of course should be accurate and then recoil should start to increase on a LMG. I haven't tried it much other than to know that they nerfed it with the patch and therefore that I was respecing. And it was obvious to me before the patch that it was way too accurate before. The only time the LMG should have been that accurate was when it was setup on a bipod and it was deployed.

Harry_Manback

Neo Member
andycapps said:
I'm guessing you're talking to him, but if it was to me then I agree with you. The first shot of course should be accurate and then recoil should start to increase on a LMG. I haven't tried it much other than to know that they nerfed it with the patch and therefore that I was respecing. And it was obvious to me before the patch that it was way too accurate before. The only time the LMG should have been that accurate was when it was setup on a bipod and it was deployed.
It's not just the LMG though, not even the handgun shoots the first shot straight.

andycapps

Harry_Manback said:
It's not just the LMG though, not even the handgun shoots the first shot straight.

The default handgun is completely useless.. That's almost the weapon that if you die by it, it should have some alert popup to you and everyone in squad embarrassing you that you got killed by it. And yeah, it is completely inaccurate and shoots way too slow for what is supposed to be a semi-automatic weapon.

I know they weren't trying to go for an uber-powerful handgun, but it isn't necessary to make it as weak as it currently is. If I run out of ammo I don't even try using my pistol. If I see someone I just run the other way or try to knife them. It's not worth trying to kill them with the pistol.

Lince

Banned
why is everyone mentioning the LMG when I complain about single-shot accuracy? every weapon except for sniper rifles show the same random pattern issue, ffs, I have thousands of kills with the assault rifle, even with the shotgun, sniper rifle and knife I hit 900+ kills with each before I called it quits due to the silly patch. It's not like I am some LMG noob (Violater I'm looking at you :lol)

faridmon

wait, i keep hearing patch. what patch? what did it improve?

and i am enjoying this game, i never play online games but this game is just fun even though you get killed without knowing who killed ya.

CozMick

Banned
faridmon said:
wait, i keep hearing patch. what patch? what did it improve?

and i am enjoying this game, i never play online games but this game is just fun even though you get killed without knowing who killed ya.

Ask Lince about the bolded :lol

GodofWine

I know for a fact the t3 rifle with scope and grip is nearly 100% accurate on single shots, burst, and darn near it spraying (at least while not moving).

Lince, I did agree with you that a single stationary shot should be accurate earlier (there is an Edit in one of my posts..), at least with an AR...but I, for the most part, think they are still pretty accurate(at least with grip, especially with scope.)

Level up that AR and slap a scope on it.

andycapps

GodofWine said:
I know for a fact the t3 rifle with scope and grip is nearly 100% accurate on single shots, burst, and darn near it spraying (at least while not moving).

Lince, I did agree with you that a single stationary shot should be accurate earlier (there is an Edit in one of my posts..), at least with an AR...but I, for the most part, think they are still pretty accurate(at least with grip, especially with scope.)

Pretty much this.. I put the 4X scope on the 2nd tier Raven AR and did okay the first round and then much better the 2nd and following rounds. With the LMG I could just aim for center cavity/head. Now with AR, I really have to aim and go for the head more, but it takes people down ridiculously fast and with minimal recoil, almost none with the suppressor on.

Lince

Banned
GodofWine said:

I attached a reflex+silencer+grip on my AR (Valor top tier AR) and I was still suffering from the random bullet madness... maybe that's not the case with the 4x scope? I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes, thanks for the info!

Anton668

theBishop said:
RavenGaf in general has been hit hard. Not many people on.

Same goes for SERV. That or my schedule is more fucked up than I thought.

Every time I log in there is only one or two ppl on, if any at all!

Top Bottom