• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Click

Banned
icechai said:
Mag Update! Pre-order bonuses are now available for free to those of us who didn't pre-order... and close range weapons are better. Sniper rifles slightly worse, probably too many people complaining of us using the light sniper rifle and killing machine gunners in med/close range :p Oh well got my 1000+ kills already with it hehe.

Nice. Sold my Valor armor for $30, lol.

No scoping with sniper rifles was very easy. I did it for a day or two and got many kills that way. But I preferred sniping the classic way more.

Guess I'll be playing MAG again now that spring break is over and I'm getting kinda sick of playing BF:BC2 (PC). I'm stuck in Raven right now with no clan. Really sucks.

Still have to buy and play FFXIII and then GoWIII though....

Violater

Click said:

No scoping with sniper rifles was very easy. I did it for a day or two and got many kills that way. But I preferred sniping the classic way more.

Guess I'll be playing MAG again now that spring break is over and I'm getting kinda sick of playing BF:BC2 (PC). I'm stuck in Raven right now with no clan. Really sucks.

Ha welcome back, or am I lttp.
:p

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Click said:

why dont you join up with raven gaf?

Dresden

hey guys,

I'm looking for another online shooter to play, does this have a healthy community? And is having an extensive friends list required? I usually game online on XBL, so the PSN is kinda foreign to me.

commish

Dresden said:
hey guys,

I'm looking for another online shooter to play, does this have a healthy community? And is having an extensive friends list required? I usually game online on XBL, so the PSN is kinda foreign to me.

community seems okay - there's no problem finding a game. There are a few of us gaffers who play regularly, but it depends on which side you pick. There are three different sides, and you can't change sides unless you delete your character or reach level cap and start over.

I'm semi-interested in this as well, but was wondering if the community was losing steam already.

Modern Warfare didn't do anything for me, and I've got the itch. Seems like there's nothing out there aside from Killzone 2 as far as FPS goes on the PS3.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't think the community is losing steam, but I don't think it's gonna grow any larger either. Valor GAF is all but dead right now it seems..I'm almost 60 though and I'll probably be switching to Raven next and SVER last.

I love this game though. Domination is a blast. Wish there were more maps..

icechai

Click said:

welcome back! Sick of playing BC2 already? How does the squad style teamplay compare to MAG? There's too many games on my list to get in to BF:BC2 (AC2/FF13/GW3), but I love jumping into MAG games even when Valor are incompetent :p

Euphor!a

Banned
So I got to 60 with SVER and thought it would be a good idea to try a new PMC so I picked Valor. That was an absolutely terrible idea. I think I was something like 100W-20L with SVER and after like 10 or so matches as Valor I don't think we've won a single match.

Violater

Euphor!a said:
So I got to 60 with SVER and thought it would be a good idea to try a new PMC so I picked Valor. That was an absolutely terrible idea. I think I was something like 100W-20L with SVER and after like 10 or so matches as Valor I don't think we've won a single match.

Say goodbye to easy mode. :lol

Sorc3r3r

weekend_warrior said:
Anybody play the new patch yet? Did they secretly nerf the assault rifles again?

It seems the same to me,i've played a lot of games today, and i use only the ARs.
So...

Click

Banned
commish said:
why dont you join up with raven gaf?

Was banned for a month so I couldn't post here to ask for an invite.

I did send PSN messages to a few Raven GAF members that I saw in-game, but got no invite. Guess they weren't officers and / or didn't ask the officers to send an invite to me.

Got sick of playing MAG anyway and needed a break. If I do start playing again, I'll vet Raven then switch to SVER for good. We should start a consolidated GAF clan soon...

icechai said:
welcome back! Sick of playing BC2 already? How does the squad style teamplay compare to MAG? There's too many games on my list to get in to BF:BC2 (AC2/FF13/GW3), but I love jumping into MAG games even when Valor are incompetent :p

Well, there's only 4 people to a squad in BC2. You can respawn on any squad member that's alive, which is both a good and bad thing. Good when you're doing it and bad when you're shooting someone and out of nowhere pops 1-2 of his squadmates.

BC2 is a very good game but after a while, it kinda loses its appeal. I love the graphics and destructible environments. It just lacks gameplay modes and most people are either grenade launcher whores or snipers. You're soooo gimped for the first 10-15 hours. You don't get each class' essential tools until you've played A LOT as that class. Oh, and everyone's always trying to jump into the tanks and helos because they're somewhat overpowered, but can be destroyed rather easily too.

On PC, almost nobody uses a mic. I've only heard 2 people talk EVER. I think it's because of some bug or something. It's also a pain in the ass to find a good room on the PC, but that's the problem with a lot of PC shooters. Wish I got it for PS3.

Anyway, I'm not gonna trash BC2, because it can be a very fun and addictive game. It just doesn't have nearly the same scale and scope of MAG. It's very similar to MAG in several aspects but to me personally, just not as fun.

Ok, what the hell is it with team killing just so people can steal your objective? Is there really no decency in this game?

It's happened twice tonight for me, first time I was planting an explosive on a door only to have a member of my squad knife me in the back and promptly plant it themselves. I then chose the option to kick them but nobody else in the team did so I decided to hunt them down for the remaining 10 minutes of the game. Actually felt pretty good after revenge killing them for the fifth time.

Anyway, I was team killed again, this time I was in the middle of repairing a mortar, once again so they could just get a few extra points. Unfortunately they weren't in my squad and I wasn't able to find them again.

Similar events have happened to me in the past as well and it's currently the most annoying thing in the game for me. There really should be a greater automatic punishment for this, perhaps as far as even kicking them out of the current game, but there may be a problem separating the abusers from accidental team killing.

I vetted over to Raven from Sver today. First game was an "OMG, what have I done!" moment. Quick sabo as a lvl 1 rook. Defense vs Valor, pre-game half the members of one squad leave, first 15 seconds of the game 3 people on my squad are tk'ed. Needless to say we lost the match, and as a lvl 1, I had the top score in my squad and nearly the top score on my entire team.

Luckily things got better. Had a great game defending dom vs Sver, until I got disconnected (lost all my xp too which has never happed). And another great dom defense vs Valor where our platoon never let them unlock the letter objective.

Also noticed a bug. For some reason the AP mines where unlocked right out of the gate, didn't have to spend the skill points to add them in my loadouts.

Zakkath

I haven't checked on this game for a while now, I was waiting for them to balance the factions before I try it. Is SVER still imbalanced ?

roxya

Zakkath said:
I haven't checked on this game for a while now, I was waiting for them to balance the factions before I try it. Is SVER still imbalanced ?

Player wise, I think it's evening out, but SVER are certainly more competent than Valor.

The maps haven't changed but I don't think there's a huge problem there.

Starting to tire from the game. With 150 hours in, the nuisances are catching up. The weapon imbalance really irritates me anymore. I'm constantly trying out the other weapons but it just seems pointless to use anything but the LMG. More ammo, more power, less CC cost. Plus Raven is trash. I'll be back once new maps come out.

We had some good games last night. We managed to get 6 GAFers in a group, which is the best we've had in a while. One match we beat SVER on domination even though one side never opened their letters. The A/B side on SVER's dom. map is so much easier to attack than either of the helicopter sides. On A/B once the AA is down, you can continually parachute in 40m from the objective whereas on G/H you're spawning 100m+ away or nearly 300m if your heli is blown up (which it often is).

icechai

weekend_warrior said:
Starting to tire from the game. With 150 hours in, the nuisances are catching up. The weapon imbalance really irritates me anymore. I'm constantly trying out the other weapons but it just seems pointless to use anything but the LMG. More ammo, more power, less CC cost. Plus Raven is trash. I'll be back once new maps come out.

I find the other weapons quite refreshing, especially the P90 :) Also assault rifles silencer or grenade launcher is pretty deadly, if you need to stop a wave coming in at the door launch a grenade and watch those LMG people fall. The light sniper rifle is also pretty awesome at holding down a chokepoint if you're good at aiming. I got bored of LMG and haven't looked back since.

Raven I find to be pretty damn good since I joined 2 days ago, wayyyyy better than Valor :D

yeah GG last night GAF, that was an intense domination round, had my first epic moment in acquisition chasing down the stolen vehicle in an apc dodging other enemy apcs trying to block me :)

andycapps

TelemachusD said:
We had some good games last night. We managed to get 6 GAFers in a group, which is the best we've had in a while. One match we beat SVER on domination even though one side never opened their letters. The A/B side on SVER's dom. map is so much easier to attack than either of the helicopter sides. On A/B once the AA is down, you can continually parachute in 40m from the objective whereas on G/H you're spawning 100m+ away or nearly 300m if your heli is blown up (which it often is).

Yeah we had some decent games. I thought our squad always did well and held the slack when the squads next to us had already abandoned their bunker. Good times having 6 Gaffers in a squad. Started out with 3 and just grew after each round.

GodofWine

Now would be a great time for Zipper to unveil a new game mode and map for each faction..for free...and stuff it to Activision and their $15 map pack (boooooo)

roxya

GodofWine said:
Now would be a great time for Zipper to unveil a new game mode and map for each faction..for free...and stuff it to Activision and their $15 map pack (boooooo)

I don't think adding game modes is realistic. The existing queues are already fairly long, and it's just getting worse.

roxya said:
I don't think adding game modes is realistic. The existing queues are already fairly long, and it's just getting worse.

I've not had to wait much longer than normal. I took a few weeks off and really didn't notice anything different last night. Player counts was still around 10,000 total (not even including the death match type mode). Other than domination the other two modes don't have to really have huge player counts to make the ques go quickly.

Great games last night Raven Gaf. Few losses on domination with 2 minutes left and the heartbreak loss with 7 seconds on sabotage. Still good fun though!

andycapps

Cellbomber said:
I've not had to wait much longer than normal. I took a few weeks off and really didn't notice anything different last night. Player counts was still around 10,000 total (not even including the death match type mode). Other than domination the other two modes don't have to really have huge player counts to make the ques go quickly.

Great games last night Raven Gaf. Few losses on domination with 2 minutes left and the heartbreak loss with 7 seconds on sabotage. Still good fun though!

Man, that sabotage loss with 7 seconds left was ridiculous. One of the closest games I've had and was just a shame that seemingly our whole squad got wiped out and had to respawn and run all the way up that hill and into C. Still, good effort to make it that far. We also held B for quite some time which was pretty impressive as it seems pretty hard to hold onto.

GodofWine

roxya said:

I don't see that, from the day I got the game (week 2 maybe) to now, I've seen no peaks of 15,000 people in game, and no less than 9,000 each week.

They need to breath life in to Acq somehow, its like Domination-lite, but I think Domination is just out of hand most of the time with clueless people.

Sabo is a great game mode that I think other FPS's will pick up on.

I also think they need to do some 'story line' to the 'war'. Have each PMC start developing new weapons / perks / gadgets...give SVER some new low tech mines / mortar, Raven gets some new high tech gadget / scope, Valor gets tatoos and 'roids? :)

GodofWine said:
I also think they need to do some 'story line' to the 'war'. Have each PMC start developing new weapons / perks / gadgets...give SVER some new low tech mines / mortar, Raven gets some new high tech gadget / scope, Valor gets tatoos and 'roids? :)

Yea they need to add more incentive to winning contracts. Either weapon or vehicle upgrades (for owning the acquisition contract) or some sort of other perks. The 5% increase per contract is not much of a variety.

andycapps said:
Man, that sabotage loss with 7 seconds left was ridiculous. One of the closest games I've had and was just a shame that seemingly our whole squad got wiped out and had to respawn and run all the way up that hill and into C. Still, good effort to make it that far. We also held B for quite some time which was pretty impressive as it seems pretty hard to hold onto.
The last Acquistion I played yesterday (with The Prez) went the other way; after throwing ourselves against the same Valor bunker for 10 minutes, we finally broke through but still couldn't get a vehicle. The other platoon got one out, and then I was able to sneak into the base, blow the gate, and drive out to win with less than 30 seconds left. I was pretty surprised it worked: nobody disarmed the gate while I was getting to the vehicle, there were no mines around, only one guy defending the panel, and the one humvee that could have blocked my exit completely failed to do so.

commish

TelemachusD said:
The last Acquistion I played yesterday (with The Prez) went the other way; after throwing ourselves against the same Valor bunker for 10 minutes, we finally broke through but still couldn't get a vehicle. The other platoon got one out, and then I was able to sneak into the base, blow the gate, and drive out to win with less than 30 seconds left. I was pretty surprised it worked: nobody disarmed the gate while I was getting to the vehicle, there were no mines around, only one guy defending the panel, and the one humvee that could have blocked my exit completely failed to do so.

Sorry I had to bail last night.. on the last domination I was in with you guys, about 30 seconds left, my ps3 froze. I got so mad I just turned it off for the night :) It was my first time playing Mag in a week or two, and I fell in love with it all over again. I really hope it's properly supported by zipper.

Btw, I tried out the AR + 4x scope, and it's pretty fun. There are some deaths that I wouldn't have taken if I had my LMG, but there are also some distance kills I wouldn't have even attempted with the LMG. Basically, you have to play a different way. I need to gain a few levels so I can get my mines and shotgun back. Love the shotty.

commish said:
Sorry I had to bail last night.. on the last domination I was in with you guys, about 30 seconds left, my ps3 froze. I got so mad I just turned it off for the night :) It was my first time playing Mag in a week or two, and I fell in love with it all over again. I really hope it's properly supported by zipper.

Btw, I tried out the AR + 4x scope, and it's pretty fun. There are some deaths that I wouldn't have taken if I had my LMG, but there are also some distance kills I wouldn't have even attempted with the LMG. Basically, you have to play a different way. I need to gain a few levels so I can get my mines and shotgun back. Love the shotty.

After getting my 1000 sniper kills I also respec-ed to AR.
Second SVER AR + grip + 4x scope + status bonuses + silencer.

Still have to find a playing style suitable for me, but I already have about the same kill amount as with the unbuffed LMG. In Domination I like getting behind enemy lines and it takes some time for them to realize why everyone is dying, silencers+stealth/signal jammer are great :lol
Sometimes it feels like enemies are bullet-sponges with the AR, especially for distance kills I'm still used to my precise single-shot sniper kills ^^

GodofWine

Played 3 games of Sabo last night (tried to join the Raven Gaf game, it was full...there were 9 people on!), and I had to attack Valor three god damn times in a row...(won 2, but thats not the point).

They need to come up with a way to vary it up...'If you win attacking Valor, then you defend the Valor Map next' that would make sense? no?

Other Ideas :
-Give a bonus % to XP for selecting 'Directives' (like 20%?).
-Douple points weekend for Acquisition to get some people in there - rotate the double points around every weekend
-Defend maps you captured..attack to win back 'your base'

Will give this one last blast, to be honest you need to be playing with a good team or it's pointless. They should have put an AI squadlead/commander etc option in.

roxya

GodofWine said:
Played 3 games of Sabo last night (tried to join the Raven Gaf game, it was full...there were 9 people on!), and I had to attack Valor three god damn times in a row...(won 2, but thats not the point).

They need to come up with a way to vary it up...'If you win attacking Valor, then you defend the Valor Map next' that would make sense? no?

Other Ideas :
-Give a bonus % to XP for selecting 'Directives' (like 20%?).
-Douple points weekend for Acquisition to get some people in there - rotate the double points around every weekend
-Defend maps you captured..attack to win back 'your base'

There is a directives bonus, 10% I think.

GodofWine

roxya said:
There is a directives bonus, 10% I think.

No way!? I'll look into that....

Edit - Yea way!

ok...but I still want Double XP weekends rotating amongst game types, and to defend the base we captured / attack to win back....hell, attack to get back vehicles / repair refinaries (sp?) too

roxya

There's a new patch announcement http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/03/patch-alert-mag-v1-04a/

Gameplay

- Adjusted player boundaries to limit “spawn camping” exploits in Darien Network, Copper Hills Relay and Syr Daria Uplink maps.

Map – Syr Daria Uplink

- Pushed in physical defensive boundary for Attacker’s “Alpha Squad” spawns 10 meters.
- Removed two short staircases in front of Attacker’s “Alpha Squad” spawn.
- Relocated box truck to block sightline on attacker’s right side at “Objective A” stairwell.
- Added box truck to block sightline exploit to Attacker’s “Alpha” squad main entrance.
- Added fence line to Attacker’s right side at “Objective A.”
- Pushed parachute drop near “Objective C” forward by 25 meters.
- Added new entrance to “Objective C” building in right corner.
- Added additional geometry near “Objective C” to block sightline exploits near main door.
- Added and removed various small object and panel locations to repair or enhance sightlines.
- Multiple terrain repaints in various locations.

Technical

- Fixed crash that sometimes occurred when reviving players who died while interacting with objective.

GodofWine said:
We had room in the group. Just send a PSN message and we'll invite you next round.

Edit: I never really thought Syr Daria Uplink was that unbalanced. The key is using tunnels and stealth to get as close to A and B as possible while avoiding enemies.
- Relocated box truck to block sightline on attacker’s right side at “Objective A” stairwell.
- Added box truck to block sightline exploit to Attacker’s “Alpha” squad main entrance.
- Added fence line to Attacker’s right side at “Objective A.”
Additional cover will help with snipers--but I love knifing snipers.
- Pushed parachute drop near “Objective C” forward by 25 meters.
This seems like it'll just be easier for the defenders to gun down parachuters.
- Added new entrance to “Objective C” building in right corner.
This one should be interesting.

I hope this patch doesn't have the effect of concentrating more defenders in the objective buildings since SVER's main weaknesses on this map are how spread out they get and how defensible the objectives are once the attackers get into them.

commish

TelemachusD said:
Edit: I never really thought Syr Daria Uplink was that unbalanced. The key is using tunnels and stealth to get as close to A and B as possible while avoiding enemies.

Against a competent Sver team, it's very hard to win in light of the fact that it's impossible to coordinate all 4 attacking squads. Like you, I think the tunnels are the best way to get to the objectives, but that's only because sver teams are often dumb on this map and don't guard the tunnels. If they put, say, 5 to 6 men down to guard the tunnel, the map because exceedingly difficult compared to the Raven and Valor sabo maps. It's easy to flank on Valor and Raven sabo maps, but near impossible on SVER's cuz of the open firing lines.

darkwing

looks like we have our first real DLC

http://asia.playstation.com/th/en/psn/addonDetail/134262

"Trooper" Gear Pack
n :When the enemy won’t surrender a position and a polite “excuse me” just won’t do, the Trooper Gear Pack is the ticket to entry. A lethal package of Special Edition Machine Guns, two new uniforms specifically tailored for urban and interior combat and the addition of flashbang grenades to blind and disorient opponents, the Trooper Gear Pack ensures your entry to every party…invited or not. All items contained in the Trooper Gear Pack can be found in game in the "Armory" once downloaded.

Special Edition Light Machine Guns: Raven's "APEX 100SE", S.V.E.R.'s "RTK-74 Vla" and Valor's "Mk 46 Mod 1"
New Flashbang Grenades, used to confuse, disorient, or momentarily distract a potential threat. Includes the Raven "Valkyrie", S.V.E.R. "ZUL" and Valor "M84" flashbangs
"Trooper Dark" Urban Camouflage Uniforms for all PMCs
"Trooper Light" Urban Camouflage Uniforms for all PMCs

it says 3/26 for the release date

Anton668

Ok, squad points, does it matter (more points/less points) what mode you play or if your squad or platoon leader?

Also, can anybody read Japanese? I got a message from somebody after a match and I have no idea if they are calling me a mother fucker or saying good game.

And changes to the SVER sabo map seem a bit much, but I havent played it a whole lot yet, so we will see.

Anton668

http://blog.mag.com/blog/2010/03/mag-free-dlc-and-extended-double-xp-march-25/

MAG Free DLC and Extended Double XP March 25
posted by Jeremy Dunham, March 18, 2010 2:08 pm

On behalf of everyone here at Zipper Interactive, I’m pleased to announce that beginning March 25, our first official MAG downloadable add-on will be made available to players worldwide absolutely free of charge!

Dubbed the “Trooper Gear Pack,” our first DLC addition to the MAG universe will offer a number of cool goodies for veterans and first timers alike. Out of everything in the pack, the most popular will likely be the oft-requested “Flashbang Grenade” that can be used to confuse, disorient or distract your enemies in a single throw.

Of course, there’s more to the Trooper Gear Pack than Flashbangs. We’ll also be including new special edition Light Machine Guns for each PMC. Raven’s APEX 100SE, SVER’s RTK-74 Vla, and Valor’s Mk 46 Mod 1 weapons will provide both a new look for your favorite LMGs and a number of performance adjustments as well.

The last element of the pack will be two additional uniforms – “Trooper Dark” and “Trooper Light.” Available to all three PMCs, these uniforms are specifically designed for urban and interior combat situations and give you two more aesthetic options to diversify your character with.

The best part of the Trooper Gear Pack? It’s just the beginning of our ongoing commitment to MAG. In the coming months, you can expect to see plenty of other add-ons and goodies that we can’t quite tell you about yet (but know you’ll enjoy).

But that’s not all. To commemorate the release of our DLC, we want to throw in a little extra. And so, as a thank you to all of our fans, we’re offering Double XP to any and all MAG players starting March 25. Simply log in at 12am Pacific/ 3am Eastern/ 8am GMT and play MAG as you normally would. Every time you complete a game your experience doubles, and yes, this bonus stacks for Veterans who already have an XP bonus to begin with! Just make sure you actually complete the games you play – if you quit early, your bonus won’t apply.

Expect the Double XP promotion to run until 11:59pm Pacific time on Sunday, March 28. Be sure to take advantage of it as much as you possibly can until then.

Top Bottom