• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm kind of worried about MAG though..player count numbers seem ridiculously low lately. I'm guessing this game is a bomb though I hate to say it..

worldrevolution said:
I'm kind of worried about MAG though..player count numbers seem ridiculously low lately. I'm guessing this game is a bomb though I hate to say it..

Game should have never been priced @ $60.

Click

Banned
I guess a lot of the SVER GAF crew are in Raven now.

We should get through Raven asap, then switch back to SVER and stay there... possibly making a consolidated clan of active GAF'fers.

Das-J

Law of the West
Invites sent to all of you in Raven, but those of you in Valor need to make the switch before I can invite you! :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So....MAG is still going strong?
I've been intrigued with this game since the beta but I haven't heard anything about it for awhile....
I kind of want it but I feel like it would be a bad idea to try and get into it at this point.

Das-J

Law of the West
^^^

We've got a TON of new content on the way and we plan on heavily supporting the title for a while, so now's just as good a time as any to jump in and check it out!

ibu

I have been away a few weeks but today has been the longest I waited to get into a game.
3-4 minutes.

In now... speak of the devil.

Fox Mulder

how easy is this game to pick up? I always have an interest in these kind of games, but I always seem to get behind in picking them up or get busy with other games. Then it's a problem of being behind the curve and getting owned by vets.

What exactly is the consensus on each faction? I was never really planning on a tour of duty or anything since I don't get a chance to play tons. I stuck with SVER since the beta and have been going strong, any need to switch it up ever? I'm completely content scavenging weapons (frequently), so I really don't have a strong desire to see all the weapons.

bkfount said:
how easy is this game to pick up? I always have an interest in these kind of games, but I always seem to get behind in picking them up or get busy with other games. Then it's a problem of being behind the curve and getting owned by vets.

I picked up the game and was able to jump in easy because of the beta. However, the learning curve wasn't so much a curve. Instead, each new gametype is briefly explained, it might make some sense, and your first couple of rounds are brick walls.

I'm sure this could easily be countered by doing some reading on how to make a round of domination work (at the lower levels we were all running around like chickens with our heads chopped off) so don't worry much about that. Also with a patch awhile back, the points needed to re-specialize your character went wayyyy down, so you can always correct a mistake in your skill tree/experiment for not that high of a cost.

Lince

Banned
Das-J said:
Invites sent to all of you in Raven, but those of you in Valor need to make the switch before I can invite you! :D

yeah sorry... I switched over to Raven this morning, invite please?

PSN: Lince_SPAIN

hey, i'm thinking of getting this game... i got one question though, how easy/fast is it to rank up and unlock stuff? how long will it take to reach max rank in a faction..? say, if i play 2-3 hours every day or so. will it take a week or two, or a month or more? assuming that i'm halfway decent and useful for my team, earning XP at a normal pace.

i wonder because i'm afraid of some other games stealing my online gaming time in the coming weeks :p (RDR and Skate 3...)

astroturfing said:
hey, i'm thinking of getting this game... i got one question though, how easy/fast is it to rank up and unlock stuff? how long will it take to reach max rank in a faction..? say, if i play 2-3 hours every day or so. will it take a week or two, or a month or more? assuming that i'm halfway decent and useful for my team, earning XP at a normal pace.

i wonder because i'm afraid of some other games stealing my online gaming time in the coming weeks :p (RDR and Skate 3...)

I think it took me around 45 hours, with KDR of around 1.8. Faction was SVER, which means that my XP was probably a little accelerated since SVER wins more often than other factions.

Lagspike_exe said:
I think it took me around 45 hours, with KDR of around 1.8. Faction was SVER, which means that my XP was probably a little accelerated since SVER wins more often than other factions.

hmm ok. that's fairly acceptable i guess. i think i'll take the plunge. (i'm OCD about online ranks so i just HAVE to go max before i quit lol).

Click

Banned
I've asked once before, but can someone please send a Raven GAF invite to J-Rzez?
His PSN ID is Johnny_Rzeznik. Thanks.

BTW, what's your PSN ID, Das-J?

Click said:
I've asked once before, but can someone please send a Raven GAF invite to J-Rzez?
His PSN ID is Johnny_Rzeznik. Thanks.

BTW, what's your PSN ID, Das-J?
He's Bagelbeard.

If I'd known everybody was coming back I would've stayed in Raven a while longer.

Trevelyan

Banned
Is there anyone left on Valor-GAF? I rolled to Valor from Raven and while it's been fun flying solo, I'd prefer a nice little group of gaffers to play with.

Anton668

Click said:
I guess a lot of the SVER GAF crew are in Raven now.

We should get through Raven asap, then switch back to SVER and stay there... possibly making a consolidated clan of active GAF'fers.

ugh.... I dont know if I have it in me to grind through 60 lvl's again.

the only reason I did the Raven thing was the X2 weekend.

Hell, If I switch, theres always gulp.... Valor... left to do. But I really dont feel the need to suffer through that.

Nothing really wrong with Raven anyways.

Meh, who knows, I'm rambling now anyways...

maybe the next X2 weekend.......

Patch notes leak from the German Playstation forum:

new patch is comin on 22.04.2010

google-translation:

Actualisation announcement: MAG v1.05

I greet and salute you, MAG fans! During the past weeks we have prepared some background updates for you to make your Shooter experience even better. The result of the hard work is the new, yet better version 1.05 from MGY. To come to the pleasure of this version, you must begin the play simply, as usual, the automatic Downloader does the rest.

As soon as the new actualisation is installed, some technical mistake removals should minimise, perhaps, appearing falls which raise chance of good leaders and make your weapons with various weapon updates even more realistic. The MAG version 1.05 will be available from tomorrow, 22nd of April, 2010, at 10 o'clock.

The complete list of all changes stands below, and for a chronicle all MAG-Bugfixes and actualisations you visit best of all our official side with the actualisation tips under http://blog.mag.com/blog/patch-notes/.

- Actualisation v1.05 Available from the 22nd of April, 2010 | XX mb (Third-Party-Patching-System), XX mb (download service) Gameplay

- Automatic leader-choice criteria were improved, with it players are selected with microphone with higher likelyhood than player without microphone (tip: This does not stop player without microphone, nevertheless from being chosen the leader.).

- Automatic leader-choice criteria were adapted, with it the leader-whole score share to the preferential formula is. Technical A mistake was repaired, the player who were fight-incapable and were revived then has stopped from throwing shells, until they could reload.

- A problem was repaired with which on finishing a round the screen became black and has "frozen".

- A fall was repaired which sometimes appeared, after more than 15 rounds as a result of were played.

- A problem was solved that in rare cases led to the play fall if the Intro video was played.

- Various localisation changes for texts within the play. Weapons The open visor was adapted to deliver a better view for the following weapons to the players: AK-103, M4A1, PKP, apex 100, RTK-74, Boudini shotgun caliber.12, and T-195.

- The precision with all open visors and laser visors was improved.

- The recoil upwards by all machine guns was raised. The precision for guns, precision guns and MPs was easily raised. You want to discuss this?

The dude from Zipper responds with:

Hey guys,

The German post is an unintentional error. Patch 1.05 is still in QA -- the text posted isn't final, the feature list isn't final, and the date posted there isn't correct (also, if you notice, the file sizes are still X'd out).

In other words, this was early text published before the patch has been finalized, approved and dated. 1.05 will be out in the next few weeks, for sure, but the list of actual changes and the notification with that date will be closer to its release.

http://forums.mag.com/t5/MAG-Discussion/MAG-v1-05/td-p/429988/page/2

Violater

just had the most frustrating game against... wait for it ......
SVER :(
sorry about all the swearing FF

Game froze on me again, back to BC2

dazed808

Violater said:

Uhuh yep that was my experience all night. 1st time playing for 3 weeks or so and had constant disconnects, horrendous lag and I've been trying to join you and FF in games and sending squad invites for hours but it wasn't having any of it.
Welcome back indeed :/

Lince

Banned
thanks for the invite! I'll be online tomorrow night after Real Madrid vs Barça (aka match of the forever), hope to see you guys there, specially my GAFe friends... we haven't played anything together in a long time.

bunbun777

Just hit 60 on SVER- thanks svrgaf for the games!

I have now joined Raven- the guns are better.

If Gaf ever consolidates, I hope it's with RVN...

Lince

Banned
Rick just sent you an invite, hope to play with you again tonight or tomorrow, sorry for the swearing (I realized your little one is somewhere near you listening) but I just can't stand the randoms, no mics, no FRAGOS, no coordination, they just do *random* stuff... it's like the first day but with half-empty teams. Zipper don't think this through when most of the team keep going for the cooling towers instead of taking on the bunkers first, they've had plenty of time to release some kind of guide or tutorial...

Anton668

Lince said:
Zipper don't think this through when most of the team keep going for the cooling towers instead of taking on the bunkers first, they've had plenty of time to release some kind of guide or tutorial...

at least they were going for the towers.

I had a SL and a few of his friends who swore up and down the the first thing to get was the AAA gun. kept trying to go past the towers and the bunkers to get the damn gun.

we lost, go fig.

dazed808

Lince said:
Rick just sent you an invite......

Thanks mate, I'll try and get on this afternoon for a few rounds. No worries about the swearing as I wear headphones when little one's within earshot. That last game was just ridiculous, I gave up with 5 minutes to go as our entire team apart from you were attacking the wrong objective, smh. If I didn't need to grind to upgrade my crappy low level guns I would stick to GAF squad only games exclusively, though I'm not sure we ever have the numbers on for that anymore.

Lince

Banned
I feel robbed every time I play Domination and check my DSL2+ router log, hundreds of instances where the download speed fluctuates, packets loss, ping spikes (3000 ms :lol)... playing Acquisition or Sabotage is fine though, but I can't believe they asked full price for an online only game where the servers struggle so much running the main mode (the only one worth it really). On the other hand I tried Warhawk again (UK server) and after a full game the event log was empty, no packet loss, no ping spikes, no nothing... just 20ms goodness.

dazed808 said:
If I didn't need to grind to upgrade my crappy low level guns I would stick to GAF squad only games exclusively, though I'm not sure we ever have the numbers on for that anymore.

almost no one's playing, only two guys logged in yesterday... they were playing sabotage exclusively and didn't bother replying to my group invites.

edit: and oh 28 secs to spawn if I decide to switch my loadout ? really? go fuck a pig.

invite sent to J-Rzez btw

ibu

Anyone on tonight? Still in SVER going to go veteran here before I change to anything else.

I guess I will have lots more time to play this game as well considering I am awaiting knee surgery.

Lince

Banned
ibu said:
Anyone on tonight? Still in SVER going to go veteran here before I change to anything else.

I guess I will have lots more time to play this game as well considering I am awaiting knee surgery.

I'll be alone again playing Raven... hope your surgery goes well mate.

Lince said:
I feel robbed every time I play Domination and check my DSL2+ router log, hundreds of instances where the download speed fluctuates, packets loss, ping spikes (3000 ms :lol)... playing Acquisition or Sabotage is fine though, but I can't believe they asked full price for an online only game where the servers struggle so much running the main mode (the only one worth it really). On the other hand I tried Warhawk again (UK server) and after a full game the event log was empty, no packet loss, no ping spikes, no nothing... just 20ms goodness.

It's like they're doing wrapped up alpha tests for SOCOM 4. :p

Let's hope they still push free DLC... I'd fell very, very bad if they put out paid DLC. :lol

ibu

Lince said:

Aye cheers fella, got scans this week. Fears it could be a ruptured ligament/Meniscal injury... both of which will require surgery.

I am the only one on SVER it seems, no one else is ever online on it these days... I do need to catch up though.

Has everyone sacked off Raven as well now?

Lince

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
It's like they're doing wrapped up alpha tests for SOCOM 4. :p

Let's hope they still push free DLC... I'd fell very, very bad if they put out paid DLC. :lol

paid DLC will kill the game for good, as it's now it's already hard to find full teams for Domination games except weekends prime-time. When I paid full price for this I took for granted they were cooking some new modes, maps and even PMCs... guess sales weren't that good, but partially they killed sales themselves with the poor impression the terrible rubber-banding and overall lag made during the first couple of weeks.

ibu said:

there 40+ members in Raven GAF, but I'll be damned if I see two of them online these days (it only happened once)... they only play Sabotage so I don't care anyway.

Lince said:
paid DLC will kill the game for good, as it's now it's already hard to find full teams for Domination games except weekends prime-time. When I paid full price for this I took for granted they were cooking some new modes, maps and even PMCs... guess sales weren't that good, but partially they killed sales themselves with the poor impression the terrible rubber-banding and overall lag made during the first couple of weeks.

Indeed. Although if they do some nice things with 1.05 and 1.06 (since Smash is already hyping it on the MAG boards :p) and give us a few packs of a little beefier DLC than the last one they may inject new life into the game. Oh, and give us the pre-order armor in EU and price cut so we have some newbs to grind XP on.

Lince said:
there 40+ members in Raven GAF, but I'll be damned if I see two of them online these days (it only happened once)... they only play Sabotage so I don't care anyway.

I'll switch to Raven after I'm done with Valor. Halfway there already, although the 2nd half may take a little longer since I don't have 2xXP no more. :lol

Click

Banned
Lince said:
thanks for the invite! I'll be online tomorrow night after Real Madrid vs Barça (aka match of the forever), hope to see you guys there, specially my GAFe friends... we haven't played anything together in a long time.

Wish Madrid won but they got killed. ; ;

Lince said:

I try to log on at least once a day, usually at weird hours.
Was on earlier today but was only one online in Raven GAF.
Someone logged on later but I had to stop playing.

We need to get everyone together again somehow...

Anton668

Lince said:

Im on a lot. But its true, for all the ppl asking for a Raven invite, there isnt many ppl on ever. So if theres nobody on i'll play sabo for the cheap an easy leadership points so I can get me medal.

Lince

Banned
we got a party of 5 yet neither of us got the squad leadership which of course went to some random dude with no mic and clueless about how to set a FRAGO, good times.

Hate Raven's LMGs, all of them, but the ARs are not a viable option thanks to Zipper latest patching efforts, basically I'm just grinding my way until I reach lvl 60 and go back to SVER or just call it quits, let's see what a future DLC might bring to the almost empty table we have now.

Click said:
Wish Madrid won but they got killed. ; ;

you don't mess with Messi, that's all.

Click

Banned
Lince said:
we got a party of 5 yet neither of us got the squad leadership which of course went to some random dude with no mic and clueless about how to set a FRAGO, good times.

Let's hope the leaked, translated patch notes are true.

I've always wanted leadership points to matter most when determining who gets leadership positions and not level-based like it is now.

Lince said:
Hate Raven's LMGs, all of them, but the ARs are not a viable option thanks to Zipper latest patching efforts, basically I'm just grinding my way until I reach lvl 60 and go back to SVER or just call it quits, let's see what a future DLC might bring to the almost empty table we have now.

Yeah, Zipper has done a pretty bad job at "balancing" weapons IMO.

While I agree that we need real DLC content asap, I also realize how hard it is to create and test the gigantic maps MAG has.

In any case, I'm happy with the 180+ hours I've gotten out of MAG so far.

Lince said:
you don't mess with Messi, that's all.

Dude's a beast.
Definitely going to be voted Player of the Year again this year.
Wonder how he'll perform in World Cup this summer...

edsPREZ

ibu said:
Aye cheers fella, got scans this week. Fears it could be a ruptured ligament/Meniscal injury... both of which will require surgery.

I am the only one on SVER it seems, no one else is ever online on it these days... I do need to catch up though.

Ibe, there are a few of us on the US east coast that play later in the night. Everyone now and then you can catch some on in the afternoon, but later on is the sure bet.

ibu

edsPREZ said:
Ibe, there are a few of us on the US east coast that play later in the night. Everyone now and then you can catch some on in the afternoon, but later on is the sure bet.

Alright will probably catch you later on then :D looking forward to it. I have played with you before like... but I haven't really played much MAG of late.

Just got back into the game about a week ago after my seriously heavy blood binge of GOW3. After all the ups and downs I have had with this game it has come out on top as being one of my favorite MP games of this gen. Even though at times I also hate it more than any other game when your having a good match with good people its almost untouchable. These last couple months have done wonders for Raven as far as the kind of people I am ending up with in a match. Seems the scales are finally tipping toward the favor of the hardcore players who actually know how to play the game.

Lince

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Seems the scales are finally tipping toward the favor of the hardcore players who actually know how to play the game.

hardcore indeed, this afternoon the total player count for Domination was less than 200, with Valor being under 30... seems like it's only playable at night (2k-3k players) but then it's always on US servers and lag and all that jazz.

Lince said:
hardcore indeed, this afternoon the total player count for Domination was less than 200, with Valor being under 30... seems like it's only playable at night (2k-3k players) but then it's always on US servers and lag and all that jazz.

Makes me sad this game is going the way of the dodo since I finally have been playing consistently great games.

Lince

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Makes me sad this game is going the way of the dodo since I finally have been playing consistently great games.

same here, I finally accepted the random bullet pattern that Zipper patched out of nowhere after months of betas and 5-6 weeks of retail and now I'm really enjoying the game again. I'm nowhere as aggressive as I used to be though, no more 70-80 kills and 4.0 K/D ratio, now I'm taking my time repairing stuff around the map or setting claymore traps, sticking with other squads when mine is clueless taking the towers instead of the bunkers and stuff like that, good times.

Top Bottom