• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Lince said:
same here, I finally accepted the random bullet pattern that Zipper patched out of nowhere after months of betas and 5-6 weeks of retail and now I'm really enjoying the game again. I'm nowhere as aggressive as I used to be though, no more 70-80 kills and 4.0 K/D ratio, now I'm taking my time repairing stuff around the map or setting claymore traps, sticking with other squads when mine is clueless taking the towers instead of the bunkers and stuff like that, good times.

That's funny I have adopted almost that exact play style. I am just playing all-around more strategically in every map which leads to a greater sense of satisfaction and also makes it far more possible for you to actually end up winning the game.

Click

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Just got back into the game about a week ago after my seriously heavy blood binge of GOW3. After all the ups and downs I have had with this game it has come out on top as being one of my favorite MP games of this gen. Even though at times I also hate it more than any other game when your having a good match with good people its almost untouchable. These last couple months have done wonders for Raven as far as the kind of people I am ending up with in a match. Seems the scales are finally tipping toward the favor of the hardcore players who actually know how to play the game.

You gotta play with us MAG "vets."
It's 'night and day' difference when we get a full squad of GAF'fers.

A lot of us are coming back to the game.
With the exception of Telemachus, Prez, and a few others, we're all in Raven GAF now...

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/04/12/mag-qa-with-zipper-interactive/

4.) There have been rumors that there will be a 4th fraction. Is that true? An African or Asian faction would be amazing.

Alan Van Slyke: While I won’t comment directly, I will say that one of the things we’re happiest with about MAG is that we’ve built a capable platform. Adding gametypes, factions, weapon types, vehicle types, expanding command structure… the opportunities are limitless, and we’ve only scratched the surface of what we can do with our engine and networking capabilities.

6.) We know eventually that included DLC will be new maps but what else can we expect in terms of DLC? New game modes, new weapons, new gear, new attires?

Jason Olander, Designer: MAG was designed and built to be an ever-expanding platform, so without revealing specifics I think I can safely say that we are constantly evaluating making additions to almost all aspects of the game, which would of course include weapons, gear, uniforms and more.

There is a total of 13 questions in the interview.

My view on this? The MAG, as a platform, strategy is completely wrong. Adding stuff to a game months after the release with barely a few thousand players online is a waste of resources. If Zipper is going to release any huge stuff later they may found themselves asking why exactly have they done all that stuff when only 25-30k players inserted the disc to try it out and if the number of players remain as as low as it is today.

It may be wiser to focus on SOCOM 4 and prepare MAG 2 for the inevitable Playstation 4 launch. With all the experience gained and new hardware, MAG 2 could easily settle for really, really high metacritic and sales results. Think Killzone 1 --> Killzone 2 jump.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man, the player count seems so low lately. Getting into a domination match actually requires a 3-5 minute wait, it sucks. Acquisition doesn't even exist anymore. I jumped over to the official MAG forums and what do ya know, a bunch of posts on the front page about player count. What makes it worse is how determined Zipper seems to put out new content for it, which I can't wait for, but is pointless if no one is playing. Only 2 months out, but 2 months of the exact same 12 maps is meeehhhh.. They should really do more double exp weekends, like every weekend!

Anyway, once I finish SVER, it's over to Raven. Hopefully if GAF decides to consolidate on Raven that'll work out.

Honestly I'm glad there are less people playing, it's probably the idiots that left. As soon as I'm done with FFXII I'll be right back in there to play with you guys.

Lince

Banned
can't stress enough what a brilliant idea it was to designate the cooling towers as the default objectives, fucking brilliant, I mean, they're in front of the enemy spawn points with a few turrets overlooking them... of course sending hundreds of noobs everyday to a sure death round after round isn't frustrating and wouldn't let to such players quitting the game am I right? really great idea, kudos Zipper.

3 months after the game launched and 90% of the games the squad leader won't set a FRAGO. Sure this doesn't frustrate or annoy the rest of players does it? brilliant, two-time veterans with headsets having to cope everyday with this really, Zipper need to think this through again for future games, MAG is ruined already and it's a shame since it promised a lot.

we’ve only scratched the surface of what we can do with our engine and networking capabilities.

:lol

stop scratching the goddamn surface and put the servers to good use, they barely can run Domination, the framerate lag and ping spikes are ridiculously bad, online only game hello? does that ring a bell? have a look at Warhawk (2007).

edit: just read the rest of the interview, they seem so confident about the game lasting a long time, this will be dead and buried well before summer, mark my words. Acquisition is already dead, Sabotage is boring as hell and Domination is taking longer every day to find a game (most of them already started, so you're filling empty slots with the game about to end and of course losing).

Lince said:
edit: just read the rest of the interview, they seem so confident about the game lasting a long time, this will be dead and buried well before summer, mark my words. Acquisition is already dead, Sabotage is boring as hell and Domination is taking longer every day to find a game (most of them already started, so you're filling empty slots with the game about to end and of course losing).

I doubt it. There's no big new online game out for the entire summer (that I know of), so as soon as people finish with that shitfest bad company 2 then the MAG servers will go up and steady off until fall.

I think they really need to put MAG on PSN for $30.

With most online games a hardcore base of a few hundred is enough to keep matches going for a long time, but in MAG with large game sizes, plus the dividing effect of separate factions and modes, you really need several thousand players just to keep the servers going.

The game is also not new player friendly, since there's a lot going on and the tutorial doesn't really help walk you through the game types or tell you anything about Fragos or how to be an effective leader.

In short if Zipper wants this game to survive, they need to get it into a lot of new players' hands quickly AND show them how it's meant to work.

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:
I think they really need to put MAG on PSN for $30.

With most online games a hardcore base of a few hundred is enough to keep matches going for a long time, but in MAG with large game sizes, plus the dividing effect of separate factions and modes, you really need several thousand players just to keep the servers going.

The game is also not new player friendly, since there's a lot going on and the tutorial doesn't really help walk you through the game types or tell you anything about Fragos or how to be an effective leader.

In short if Zipper wants this game to survive, they need to get it into a lot of new players' hands quickly AND show them how it's meant to work.

You forgot the fact that MAG is too big of a game to release in DD form.
I'm sure Zipper / SCE wished it was a PSN game, but they can't do it.

I personally don't agree with the doom and gloom being posted here recently.

While MAG isn't expanding its playerbase right now, I don't believe the game is going to die in the near future. It was released at a bad time IMO, with so many great games in all genres coming out so soon after MAG did. Once the summer game drought hits and people get sick of BF:BC2, GoWIII, FFXIII, etc. etc., they may come back to MAG. It will be crucial that Zipper releases a lot of DLC content around May, latest June, to attract former MAG players as well as new players back to the game.

Lince

Banned
Click said:
While MAG isn't expanding its playerbase right now, I don't believe the game is going to die in the near future. It was released at a bad time IMO

definitely it was, just in those couple of months between MW2 and BFBC2, Zipper should have just delayed it until early May or June, the game clearly needs some further tweaking in key areas (server performance, game modes, weapon and map balance...)

Click said:
It will be crucial that Zipper releases a lot of DLC content around May, latest June, to attract former MAG players as well as new players back to the game.

I really hope they have something big planned, what about the Shadow War? that idea was never fully realized or developed, who's winning it? where are the incentives apart from the same XP/leadership bonus over and over again? there should be some type of exclusive perks or incentives for those winning and losing it, also, if you win a certain number of Domination matches against the same PMC make your PMC defend that map instead of your home map for a week or something with exclusive rewards and such if you succeed, same for the PMC trying to regain it. Don't know, something new!

Lince said:
I really hope they have something big planned, what about the Shadow War? that idea was never fully realized or developed, who's winning it? where are the incentives apart from the same XP/leadership bonus over and over again? there should be some type of exclusive perks or incentives for those winning and losing it, also, if you win a certain number of Domination matches against the same PMC make your PMC defend that map instead of your home map for a week or something with exclusive rewards and such if you succeed, same for the PMC trying to regain it. Don't know, something new!

Good ideas.

Click

Banned
Lince said:

Yeah, Zipper needs to stop stalling, saying how they have so much DLC planned, and just release the damn DLC already. But again, people need to keep in mind just how large MAG maps are and how much QA testing is required to make each map as glitch-free as possible.

As for the Shadow War... it was originally a decent idea. However, Zipper eventually realized that in practice, it just doesn't work that well in MAG. If they made people defend their faction's map over and over again, it would be even more boring than it is now. The Shadow War would also cause an even bigger skill imbalance between the factions than what we've seen so far. People would flock to the best faction and flee the shittier ones. This would in all likelihood, destroy the game.

While I give Zipper credit for thinking outside the box and trying to do something different with the FPS / online shooter genre, in the end, their Shadow War idea didn't work out and only serves as a means to give players small bonuses for doing well in a given game mode.

Like I said a few months back, I would have preferred a system where each team gets to attack and defend the same map somehow. It would eliminate the sense of map imbalance, as each team gets a chance to both attack and defend. The problem with this idea is that MAG already takes a long time to complete 1 game. Playing against the same teams for an hour (Domination) most likely wouldn't work out. A lot of people would leave the 2nd "round."

I believe Zipper should have just gone with the tried and true random map selection system present in most FPSs these days. Yeah, Zipper took the time and effort to make each faction have a "home base" feel for every game mode, but I believe a random map selection system would solve a lot of issues present in MAG. Everybody gets an opportunity to defend every map without having to grind to lvl 60 and switch factions, people wouldn't be nearly as frustrated or pissed off at the map imbalances, and the sense of "lack of maps" would be minimalized.

There are so many "little" things Zipper should've and could've done to make MAG a better game. If I had more time, I'd list them all....

I still want a (e.g. 192 player) mode in which all three PMCs fight at the same time.
Technically it shouldn't be a problem at all.
There are tons of interesting scenarios thinkable and it would be something new.

e.g. 2 attackers, 1 defender (doubled in team size) on a map which is easier to attack and basically the attackers are competing.
Or introduce a new neutral map in which all three PMCs try to set foot in King of Hill style.

The MAG engine&server-structure feel a bit wasted at the moment because you could do so many interesting new mp-layouts on a big scale.

edit: or include even morale choices: announce temporary alliances between 2 PMCs to achieve a common goal against the third PMC within the same match but you would still be able to attack each other including gaining exp (=your choice if you attack or help the other PMC). There would be matches in which most players would work together and other matches in which the two "friendly" teams would fight it out against each other.
I should stop dreaming :(

Kowak

Banned
I really need to get back on this. havent touched it in months. I am stuck on level 56 or something.

just been bust getting real life things done that gaming has been put aside

ibu

edsPREZ said:
Ibe, there are a few of us on the US east coast that play later in the night. Everyone now and then you can catch some on in the afternoon, but later on is the sure bet.

Cheers for the add. Will be on tonight definitely, going to have a long bath now. Relax... then join in some online murkage.

May as well, birthday in a couple of hours. Beer and MAG... sweet. Maybe some cake too!

Click

Banned
peetfeet said:
Posted?

Ultra hi res overhead views of all maps on PSBlog Flickr account

HERE

Finally.
People have been wanting these images for a long time.

Those really are ultra hi res shots, lol.
5480 x 4320 WTF

The Domination images show how insanely large MAG maps really are.

Click said:
The Domination images show how insanely large MAG maps really are.

2w4ipnn.jpg

one normal sized car on the SVER Domination map :lol
in this resolution you would hardly be able to see the actual players, only in the 5000x4000 ones if there were any ^^

also you get a feel of how detailed&&diverse the maps are, it's not just one big empty space.

Click said:
You forgot the fact that MAG is too big of a game to release in DD form.
I'm sure Zipper / SCE wished it was a PSN game, but they can't do it.
The open beta was everything but the suppression and acquisition maps and it wasn't that huge. It'd be a big download, but nothing unprecedented for PSN.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The maps are great, but really hard to learn..even for someone who's been playing since launch. There are what, a total of 16 different spawn zones for each side in domination? The first thing I always do when I get in a domination map is press start and see which part of the map I'm in, check where my artillery/sensor is, and check where the towers are. Some of the spawns are different enough that I can distinguish them at first sight and go, ok THIS one. But some, like Valor's defense ones, can really look the same. I think there are still certain spawn points I've never even experienced. Makes the scale wonderful, but it can be a bit frustrating. I'm actually glad those pics are out since now I can finally see everything and be like ah yes yes this is here and that's there..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the entire time I was on Valor, I only defended the A/B side once or twice.

So is the game really that unpopulated?
I was actually thinking of picking it up this week.

Depends on the day/time/mode. Sabotage is always pretty quick, and there's good numbers on weekends, but Acquisition mode and morning US numbers get really low.

I'm an expert

Pick it up! We need more players! It's not that you can't find games, it's just that the ease of going from game to game has sort of died down a bit since the content has gotten stale. The new DLC, whenever it comes, should really liven things up. This is the only online FPS I've ever been able to stick with, so give it a shot!

worldrevolution said:
Pick it up! We need more players! It's not that you can't find games, it's just that the ease of going from game to game has sort of died down a bit since the content has gotten stale. The new DLC, whenever it comes, should really liven things up. This is the only online FPS I've ever been able to stick with, so give it a shot!

Ah cool.
I really enjoyed the Beta, but I got caught up in other things.

I'm an expert

Maybe try Raven first since a majority of GAF seems to be there right now. Playing the game with them will make it much more enjoyable at first.

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
So imbalanced

of course man, we were 6 vs 15 trying to take that damn bunker down, half the team left as soon as they noticed it was SVER we were facing.

good games anyway, we finally managed to grab the squad leadership a couple of times...

edit: fuck you Zipper with your cooling towers obsession, you're just breaking the teams between people knowing what to do (bunkers) and the retards following your silly hint to death over and over again.

Kogepan

Lince said:
of course man, we were 6 vs 15 trying to take that damn bunker down, half the team left as soon as they noticed it was SVER we were facing.

good games anyway, we finally managed to grab the squad leadership a couple of times...

edit: fuck you Zipper with your cooling towers obsession, you're just breaking the teams between people knowing what to do (bunkers) and the retards following your silly hint to death over and over again.

Can we really blame Zipper? Guys that are level 30+ STILL rush the towers, and even guys with mics have actual arguments whether to take the towers or bunkers first. Frankly, i think some people like having the enemy spawn points close to the towers so they can get more points.

Attacking SVER, i think alot of people assume its going to be too hard to take out all four bunkers and just settle for buffing their K/D ratio near the towers for the FRAGO bonus.

What I think Zipper NEEDS to do is make some of the rear areas more accessible , especially SVER DOM maps.

Click

Banned
Violater said:
Only Jamaican u will ever meet that doesn't :lol
and ur tag is well deserved ;)

You disappoint me.

TelemachusD said:
The open beta was everything but the suppression and acquisition maps and it wasn't that huge. It'd be a big download, but nothing unprecedented for PSN.

The beta also had compressed audio and video, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, Das-J.

All I know is, Zipper claimed they couldn't fit MAG into DD form. That's what I based my comment off of.

SolidusDave said:
in this resolution you would hardly be able to see the actual players, only in the 5000x4000 ones if there were any ^^

also you get a feel of how detailed&&diverse the maps are, it's not just one big empty space.

5168 x 4470 resolution:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/4518054839/sizes/o/in/set-72157623847816420/

I've noticed SVER's domination damage bar fills up MUCH faster than Raven or Valor's. I think it might be Zipper's temporary map balancing. Defending one match, only one platoon's pumps opened at all and the enemy held only one letter for maybe two or three minutes total and the damage bar at the end of the match was more than half full.

On the other hand, attacking Raven you need all 8 pumps open and you have to hold multiple letters for a long time to win.

Also, Zipper please fix the "whoever gets the last repair point gets the credit" issue. If I'm standing there the entire time something is being repaired and watching the bar fill up, it should count for me and anyone else there, not just whoever got lucky. But beyond that, I've been team-killed by idiots who don't want me stealing "their" roadblock repair, while I'm just trying to fix our defenses.

TelemachusD said:

yeah, Siren: Blood Curse was about 10 GB if you downloaded the whole game.

seriously, Zipper, put this on PSN somehow... i will buy it instantly. would be perfect to have this type of game on the HDD ready to go and jump into.

ibu

Right it is my birthday, I am laid up at home with a fucked up knee...

SVER GAF... come on and entertain a motherfucker.

Right then.... what the fuck happened to this game?

It has dropped dead... I reckon I may have to jump into bad company 2 at this rate.

I'm an expert

I put in a good 2 hours last night on SVER. Played only one domination match because the wait is just too long. Sabotage is fun, but it just doesn't have the exp opportunities dom has and I have to pray half my team doesn't leave in the first few minutes. At least SVER had the 5% exp contract in sab.. But as of now sabotage is the only mode you can consistently get into. Acqui actually had 0 SVER at one point.

Lince

Banned
worldrevolution said:
Acqui actually had 0 SVER at one point.

and Domination had less than 100 Raven players early this afternoon so I couldn't play any match at all, sucks to pay full price for an online only game which you can barely play because simply there are not enough players there (just 10 weeks after launch)... free DLC + double XP weekend + price cut / PSN version needed now.

the game has become so boring with everyone using LMG+heavy armor anyway, they intended to nerf the LMGs with patch 1.03 but at the end of the day they fucked every weapon so much with the random bullet spread that ironically the best weapon to use after that silly patch is the LMG again, lol.

I'm an expert

Pretty much every weekend should be double exp weekend. It was really fun last time and made me pick up the game when I hadn't touched it for 2 weeks or so.

Lince

Banned
oh man this guy wouldn't set a FRAGO for the entire match and people were already leaving the squad (we were down to 5) so I urged him to do something and actually he did it... he frago'd the motherfucking bunker in the middle of the line of bunkers... awesome, tonight was the first time I got a negative K/D ratio since the first days of the closed Beta, for sure raging and complaining 90% of the time didn't help :lol

I'm an expert

Me, Telemachus, and Prez were just apart of something..special. Sorry I had to run after guys, gotta get back to work. Good stuff!

Mully

I'm thinking about getting this game soon, but I am a little worried that I'll just run into a wall for the first 15 levels.

I played the Beta extensively on Valor and did pretty well. I think I got up to Rank 34. Anyways I joined rather late in the game and I remember the first few levels being absolutely overwhelming due to the difference between perks, guns, and gun upgrades.

worldrevolution said:
Me, Telemachus, and Prez were just apart of something..special. Sorry I had to run after guys, gotta get back to work. Good stuff!
Oh man that guy was annoying. The OIC was team broadcasting the entire match about "strategy" when defending SVER domination is dead easy, and he periodically wanted everybody to fire their guns in the air, and then wanted us to all gather up at the end of the match for a 128 man group hug or something. He would literally not shut up for more than ten seconds at a stretch. There's no way to mute him either.

I switched to SVER. I'd be glad to play with you if I catch you in an hour or so when I get on.

ID DadliestCatch
I'll send you a SVER GAF invite tomorrow animlboogy.

I'm thinking about getting this game soon, but I am a little worried that I'll just run into a wall for the first 15 levels.

I played the Beta extensively on Valor and did pretty well. I think I got up to Rank 34. Anyways I joined rather late in the game and I remember the first few levels being absolutely overwhelming due to the difference between perks, guns, and gun upgrades.
Get the revive skill immediately and just concentrate on being a medic until you get some levels; it's by far the easiest way to gain xp. Use the LMG and concentrate on the Athleticism tree early on; explosive resistance and 120 health will save you from many deaths. Also try to play with one of the GAF clans.

Top Bottom