• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

J-Rzez

Lagspike_exe said:
More DLC...

New armor (400 credits for "Improved Light Armor") and 3 modified sniper rifles (basically, the same stuff as before, just this time there are loadout changes instead of cosmetic changes to armor). Releases next Thursday.

PR:

http://blog.mag.com/blog/

You guys know how much I support Zipper, but they're really not helping the situation at this time. This is not the right "DLC" for the game. Armor and enhanced but still probably useless sniper rifles are not the way to go. They need new MAPS AND MODES to get back all the people that are burnt out on the game. This pack needs to be cheap, as it won't be free how they're saying this is "free" so much.

J-Rzez said:
You guys know how much I support Zipper, but they're really not helping the situation at this time. This is not the right "DLC" for the game. Armor and enhanced but still probably useless sniper rifles are not the way to go. They need new MAPS AND MODES to get back all the people that are burnt out on the game. This pack needs to be cheap, as it won't be free how they're saying this is "free" so much.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. And any map pack that costs ANY amount of money will kill of the population even further...

Lince

Banned
if the "big" DLC they keep hyping so much costs anything more than $0 say hello to 20 minutes queue waiting, this is, game over, we already have less than one hundred people playing certain modes. Are they gonna think for a second that they charged full price for an online only game in the first place? ffs Zipper way to lure gamers into your next Socom game, I'm already extremely cautious about it.

The only way out of this is if 1.06 actually does some thing useful, followed by free map pack DLC, double XP weekend and a world wide price cut for the game.

Lince

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
The only way out of this is if 1.06 actually does some thing useful, followed by free map pack DLC, double XP weekend and a world wide price cut for the game.

and a cheap PSN release, that would inject a lot of new users already burnt out on BFBC2/MW2, just make sure 1.06 addresses the real issues and lack of modes/maps. And don't forget to turn that European server back on...

Click

Banned
*Sigh*
Zipper has been disappointing us a lot the past few months.

You know what I don't get about these "free" DLC "packs?"
They're adding new weapons to existing overused and overpowered weapon classes.
Seriously Zipper? We need more snipers (that camp all game long and don't help take over / defend objectives) and LMG-whores (of which I am one)? These new and improved weapons are just going replace the existing ones. What an awesome way to spend your design and Q/A team's time and effort. WTF is the project manager in charge of DLC thinking?

Oh yeah, and how about giving us back the balaclava, face wraps, and other cool (cosmetic or functional) character customization options available in the beta but got taken out for the retail? It still pisses me off that they limited character customization especially given the fact that all ads and even their game cover has art with something covering the face of Raven and SVER characters.

I hope they don't keep throwing us bread crumbs.
We need the entire slice asap.

Violater

Armour guns? :lol :lol

That's the HUGE update?

OHH FFS just pull the plug.

"Our DLC after this one will be b-i-g."
free or go home.

Edit fuck it MAG bomba total, any talk of socom 4 is just asking us to roll over and get fucked some more.

Click

Banned
This update once again shows that Zipper really has no clue what they're doing when it comes to post-release support.

Besides what I've already said, it's retarded to be handing this "DLC" out to EVERYONE.
It goes back to what I wrote yesterday. Why would you hand out "free" upgrades to everyone and not have them EARN it?

I'd understand if they gave us improved armor and weapons for going Vet. and/or performing well consistently. Giving them to everyone isn't going to give people the incentive to earn it. People are just going use it in place of the "normal" editions of the weapon and armor. They're still going to FEEL bored because there's no progression after a certain point in the game.

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:
I'm pretty sure me and Prez have more time played in MAG than anyone else here (300+ hrs each). I'm willing to switch, but are you guys actually going to stick with it? Also there's a few active people in SVER who need to get to 60 (icechai, worldrevolution, thebishop), I'd hate to ditch those guys.

I only have about 200 hours logged, on my 4th Vet. though.

Totally understand your situation. Stay with SVER until those dudes reach 60 and switch over with them if we decide to stick with Raven. But yeah, it's great having most of "regulars" from SVER GAF still playing MAG.

Hopefully some Raven GAF members come back to the game... so we can show them how the "sweep" tactic works. :D

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Thanks for the concern Telemachus, but trust me I'll get up to 60 just fine if you and Prez switch over. I went at it hard yesterday after you guys left..so much that I actually respeced to sniper for a change of pace and to get some kills for my 1000 kill medal. I know I'm in the minority, but I LOVE sniping..so this dlc is actually a bit interesting. I know I'm usually pretty high in points, but that's because I want to level asap so I can make the final switch to Raven. I actually like sitting back and giving cover fire or thining reenforcements much more in a game than being on the front lines. Went 35-3 in a sabotage match last night and I can say I actually contributed to the team winning. But anyway, I realllllly wanna get SVER done with so I can play with a big GAF group like the old days.

Click

Banned
Anton668 said:
ok, so.. um... I may be reading that wrong, but it almost seems the sensor jammer isnt really worth it.

to me it reads that it only affects overhead scans.

so.... is it really worth it?

I'm not sure if they fixed the Platoon Leader's Sensor Sweep ability. If Zipper has fixed it, then the Sensor Jammer can be a bit useful. I'm also not sure if the OIC's Satellite Sweep counts as a Sensor Sweep. If it does, then the Sensor Jammer would be even more useful, as that skill lasts for roughly 3 minutes. The OIC can use it 2-3 times per battle (depending on if the OIC screwed up the timing of his skills and if he is defending or attacking).

So no, as of now, I don't believe the Sensor Jammer is worth it. In a future patch (unless they've already patched it in), the Jammer will be worth it if you don't have the Improved Stealth ability... which IMO is an essential passive ability everyone should always use. 2 points for a skill that's always active, doesn't cost anything in your loadout, can jam Motion Sensors, and is on a skill tree (Athleticism) that should be mostly filled up anyway.

BTW, Pens suck.
I'd laugh so hard if Ottawa can somehow win the next 2 games.

icechai

worldrevolution said:
Thanks for the concern Telemachus, but trust me I'll get up to 60 just fine if you and Prez switch over. I went at it hard yesterday after you guys left..so much that I actually respeced to sniper for a change of pace and to get some kills for my 1000 kill medal. I know I'm in the minority, but I LOVE sniping..so this dlc is actually a bit interesting. I know I'm usually pretty high in points, but that's because I want to level asap so I can make the final switch to Raven. I actually like sitting back and giving cover fire or thining reenforcements much more in a game than being on the front lines. Went 35-3 in a sabotage match last night and I can say I actually contributed to the team winning. But anyway, I realllllly wanna get SVER done with so I can play with a big GAF group like the old days.

i really loved sniping too, this game really rewards the roving sniper if you keep most of your kills at objective or from objective. Alas, 1000 some kills later I had to move on, and now I'm digging the shotgun :) I think the biggest issue w/ people who don't know what they're doing is that the tutorial level sucks too badly, that really killed it for those of us who jumped into it from the beta.

The wait times are getting kind of ridiculous. I think they should implement some smaller game modes on the bigger maps. Like, if there's less than 1000 people playing domination, make the matches only have two platoons, but the damage bar fills twice as fast, or in acquisition, just use one side of the map. One platoon in that mode is often preferable since the morons in the other platoon can easily lose the game for you. It kind of goes against the "256 players" ideal, but when the wait gets so long people stop waiting and give up, a smaller version is better than nothing (or having Sabo as the only viable game mode).

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
45 minutes till pew pew pew

hope I can make it, right now I'm fiddling around with my VDSL2+ connection upload speed and latency through my ISP control panel, basically I'm downgrading upload from 1200 KB/s to just 320 KB while keeping max download at 3200 KB/sec so latency is down to a mere 20-25 ms instead of 80 ms when pinging a West Coast server from Spain (the worst case scenario when playing MAG from Europe), the hard part is making this by creating profiles so this low upload/latency profile only triggers when using MAG ports so I could keep the excellent upload speed and very good latency for other games / PC... fricking retarded Spanish ISPs, you gotta do everything yourself.

I'm still positive the lag is a server-side issue since I can play everything else no problem since I upgraded to VDSL2+ getting host in p2p games all the time (thanks to lo low latency and excellent upload bandwidth), but I just gotta try something, Domination lag is driving me insane.

J-Rzez

TelemachusD said:
The wait times are getting kind of ridiculous. I think they should implement some smaller game modes on the bigger maps. Like, if there's less than 1000 people playing domination, make the matches only have two platoons, but the damage bar fills twice as fast, or in acquisition, just use one side of the map. One platoon in that mode is often preferable since the morons in the other platoon can easily lose the game for you. It kind of goes against the "256 players" ideal, but when the wait gets so long people stop waiting and give up, a smaller version is better than nothing (or having Sabo as the only viable game mode).

Indeed with the wait times. I understand I play at some odd hours at times, but I couldn't even get into a domination match the other night. And considering I hate sabotage anymore, it was really frustrating.

This game needs new maps/modes, and now. It should have had them by now I believe. I understand how huge the maps are, and I didn't mind playing from every other pmc perspective, but they thought that would have bought them more time than it did. People are bored with the maps. If Zipper really wanted to make this an "open platform" to expand the game constantly, they handled it wrong, unfortunately, as it really is a great game.

The only way to save what's left is new maps/modes/skills and real-new weapons, and it has to be dirt cheap since I doubt they'll do free maps, that they should at this point. I hope they learned a valuable lesson here for SOCOM 4. But once again, it's a shame as MAG is the best shooter this gen, but it wasn't treated the way it should have.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
hope I can make it, right now I'm fiddling around with my VDSL2+ connection upload speed and latency through my ISP control panel, basically I'm downgrading upload from 1200 KB/s to just 320 KB while keeping max download at 3200 KB/sec so latency is down to a mere 20-25 ms instead of 80 ms when pinging a West Coast server from Spain (the worst case scenario when playing MAG from Europe), the hard part is making this by creating profiles so this low upload/latency profile only triggers when using MAG ports so I could keep the excellent upload speed and very good latency for other games / PC... fricking retarded Spanish ISPs, you gotta do everything yourself.

(x_X)

I think I'll log on now for a few games. :)

edit: oh I have no idea where my frickin head set is :lol

TelemachusD said:
The wait times are getting kind of ridiculous.

If they drop the price to $29.99 and sell it on the PSN Store, I bet they get at least 25% more ppl playing.

Selling a $60 game in stores only, that's MP only, seems like product suicide to me.

Lince

Banned
good games guys, nice to have a full GAF squad for a change... and what am I supposed to do now that I have completed my tour of duty with every PMC ? vet again to Valor as Rick suggested ? :lol
no incentives for true veterans make me sad, but hey, a new rifle/armor is coming with a fancy coat of paint!

apart from that my upload/latency experiment didn't work out, Domination is still laggy as hell while Sabotage and Acquisition run smooth as always. It's clearly the USA servers not performing for Euro players and the netcode/gxf engines stalling under high load. I guess I'll just revert to the default max upload/download setting and call it a day.

icechai

Lince said:
good games guys, nice to have a full GAF squad for a change... and what am I supposed to do now that I have completed my tour of duty with every PMC ? vet again to Valor as Rick suggested ? :lol
no incentives for true veterans make me sad, but hey, a new rifle/armor is coming with a fancy coat of paint!

apart from that my upload/latency experiment didn't work out, Domination is still laggy as hell while Sabotage and Acquisition run smooth as always. It's clearly the USA servers not performing for Euro players and the netcode/gxf engines stalling under high load. I guess I'll just revert to the default max upload/download setting and call it a day.

hey wtf was it about switching GAF to Raven? A lot of us are on our 4th vet at SVER still on way to 60 if you plan on jumping ship again :p

Lince

Banned
icechai said:
A lot of us are on our 4th vet at SVERstill on way to 60 if you plan on jumping ship again :p

part of the problem!! :lol

seriously, don't you find it boring? there's life beyond the bunker...

Click

Banned
Lince said:
part of the problem!! :lol

seriously, don't you find it boring? there's life beyond the bunker...

Only certain Domination games, on certain quadrants, against certain (pussy / shitty / short-handed) opposing teams end up being a boring bunker party for SVER. The other games modes are usually fun and exciting as SVER. At least that's how I remembered it...

Players like me love playing with other talented players. SVER has always had the most amount of players that know how to play the game correctly. Although I've been on several awesome Valor and Raven teams in all game modes before, there was a lot more great teams in SVER. The chance you'll be on a good team in SVER is higher than the other 2 factions.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be a bit bored than frustrated and angry when playing a video game. Oh yeah, and when I feel like I'm bored in MAG (which isn't very often), I either turn the game off or quit that game (unless I'm with GAF) and find another one.

demolitio said:
Gave this a listen, but not much MAG talk. They mentioned improving clan support, and said they have a lot of content in the pipeline for MAG. That's about it. Nice to hear Das-J though.

More players need to realize the importance of the AA. In a dom. defense game yesterday enemies were coming up behind from other platoons to our AA and hardly anyone was reacting. If you hear "charges on the AA", or someone (me) saying "APC at the triple A", you gotta pull back and defend that thing. Our whole squad was way out beyond the bunker even though the burnoffs were already down.

At the very start of another dom. attack game, me and The Prez walked the entire length of Raven's AA ship, planted, waited for it to blow, and never saw a single enemy. It's only the single most important objective on that side of the map; you'd think somebody would be keeping an eye on it, or at least be rushing to defuse/repair it.

Lince

Banned
come on Click I'm just trying to lure some of them into Raven GAF, obviously the most fun we had with MAG was playing SVER together...

I'm coming back to BFBC2 for a bit though, wanna try the changes.

Click

Banned
Lince said:
come on Click I'm just trying to lure some of them into Raven GAF, obviously the most fun we had with MAG was playing SVER together...

I know that.
I was just trying to lure you and other Raven GAF players over to SVER. :lol

But again, I really don't care what factions we play as.
We just need to have a consensus on which faction we're going to consolidate GAF in.

Edit: Let's take a poll. Post which faction you'd rather play as. The faction with the most votes in the next 5 days will be the faction GAF will permanently stay as.

I vote SVER, obviously.

Lince

Banned
I just want a bigger clan so I'll switch over to whatever PMC you guys decide, if I had to choose it would be Valor and SVER in that order.

J-Rzez

demolitio said:

Cool... listening as we speak. Heard the Socom 2 theme. That shit better be in S4. :D

Uh oh, not sure about the S4 talk so far, changing up the mp to match the more cinematic sp campaign. Looks like SOCOM won't be the same that made it special. It doesn't sound like it's going to be really grounded around real Navy Seal-esque missions/scenarios. :(

Must say I'm really starting to get worried here for that franchise. Especially with the cover system. Going to have to play it now to see if it's warrant the concerns.

As far as PMC's go, I miss SVER. Mainly their music for kill streaks. Can't say I'm a fan of the others music at all.

Click

Banned
Lince said:
I just want a bigger clan so I'll switch over to whatever PMC you guys decide, if I had to choose it would be Valor and SVER in that order.

You just want to use the Mk 46 / 43, eh? :D

So far, we got 1 vote for Valor and 2 votes for SVER.

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
FUCK SVER I would rather sell my copy.

MAG the official thread of don't hate the player hate the stupid fucking game.

:lol that last game with the missing OIC was something special indeed.

icechai

i vote SVER cuz i'm there, and from the vet'ing the other factions, Valor is filled with stupid people and Raven is only half filled with em' :p

Axiom

I always figured the wait times was just me playing directives whenever I'm on my lonesome. Which is mostly given my odd playtimes.

I'm not fussed where I end up but I'd probably prefer Raven as I've not even maxxed out my first PMC and I've had the game for ages so not sure how far I'd get anywhere else.

On the other hand if I hung with more GAFers I'd probably win more often so it really doesn't matter.

I vote Raven, but I'm not really an active player anymore so I don't know if my vote should count. After reaching level 60 with all factions and playing the same nine maps over and over again, I just wish Zipper would add something new to the mix.

BattleMonkey said:
So all the whiners from KZ2 have made this their game of choice to whine about.

*plays game for 100 hours*
"OMG this game sucks so bad!!11"
*continues to play for additional 200 hours*

It sounds like that at least to me, the constant whiners kinda put me off the game before I even reached 60 with SVER...
(though I also had to play several other games and I agree in that MAG would have/had much more potential if used right).

Lince

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
So all the whiners from KZ2 have made this their game of choice to whine about.

whining =/ discussing flaws and complaining about them

on the other hand you're whining too much and discussing too little with your one-liners here and in other threads, if you are enjoying being a simple-passive gamer it's fine, but then don't whine about "whiners" here because this forums is open for both praise and whine, isn't it?

whiners from KZ2? you simply don't know what you're talking about, you have the biggest KZ2 fans right in this thread.

Click

Banned
Lince said:
whining =/ discussing flaws and complaining about them

on the other hand you're whining too much and discussing too little with your one-liners here and in other threads, if you are enjoying being a simple-passive gamer it's fine, but then don't whine about "whiners" here because this forums is open for both praise and whine, isn't it?

whiners from KZ2? you simply don't know what you're talking about, you have the biggest KZ2 fans right in this thread.

LOL, that dude's been on my cock for a while now for whatever reason, egging on the mods / admin. to perma-ban me last time.

Kinda weird too because I don't even know him nor have I interacted with him in any game or even on this forum. Guess he had a problem with me and you talking about all the flaws with KZ2 and held a grudge ever since then.

SolidusDave said:
*plays game for 100 hours*
"OMG this game sucks so bad!!11"
*continues to play for additional 200 hours*

It sounds like that at least to me, the constant whiners kinda put me off the game before I even reached 60 with SVER...
(though I also had to play several other games and I agree in that MAG would have/had much more potential if used right).

For the most part, the whining came from Valor and Raven GAF members back then.
SVER GAF were having a great time because we had better players and map advantage.

Most, if not all of the whiners have quit MAG. Only us "KZ2 whiners" remain in this game now. People like me and Lince discuss the games we play and that includes the flaws.

What sets us apart from the usual whiners is that we are true fans of the games we criticize and we also come up with ideas that can fix those flaws; in hope that the few developers reading GAF take our ideas and implement them. Other whiners bitch and moan about a game and then quit. Sometimes, they don't even have the game to begin with.

Violater said:
FUCK SVER I would rather sell my copy.

MAG the official thread of don't hate the player hate the stupid fucking game.

:lol

Oh Violater... you know you'll switch over eventually if we decide to consolidate at SVER.
Or you'll just quit the game like you said. =P

5 SVER
3 Raven
1 Valor

bunbun777

Came on to post a vote for RAVEN.

It is difficult-- I had more wins as Sver and less bad random teams, but F- em- their guns are rusty and their maps are poop.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Level 55... 5 more levels and I'm making the switch to Raven. I've loved my time on SVER, as a whole the players are infinitely better than Valor. However, playing on the SVER maps suck because they're so orange and dark.. I'll be gone on vacation for the next 2 weeks though so I'll be playing again in May.

Top Bottom