• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Kowak

Banned
Does nobody revive anymore? I dont remember the Raven co-ordination ever being as bad as this. You use to be able to get at least half the squad working together for a large chuck of a game. Now everyone just runs off and does there own thing.

J-Rzez

Nice, should have a good chunk of free time this weekend for the double XP to blow through the last ~20ish levels I have to go.

Hope the SVER vote wins. I hate Raven's music.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Double EXP the weekend I leave for vacation.......not cool. Anyway I'm 58 so I'm pretty much done with SVER anyway. I have no intentions of grinding Raven. Nice and slow, with a year's worth of content to look forward to I'm sure.

Click

Banned
I just tried the Raven ATAC 2000 and battlerifle (R-553). ATAC is a great gun (great accuracy, fires very fast, and has a built-in grip). But like all weapons not called LMG in MAG, it runs out of ammo too quickly.

I can only kill 1, maybe 2 people before having to reload. With the LMG, I can sometimes kill up to 7 people with 1 clip. I also noticed that assault rifles take a lot of precision because if you have bad aim and can't take out your opponent (whom likely has a LMG) first, the chance of survival is not good, since you have to reload and the LMG user doesn't.

The 553 however, is terrible. It only has a 25 bullet clip, with a 100 bullet reserve. That's around 1/3 of the total ammo a LMG has and needs to be reloaded a lot more often. The 553 feels like a BB gun to me. The damage is pretty good and it looks awesome silenced, but it just isn't a very effective weapon in this game.

Haven't tried the P90 yet but I'm pretty sure SVER's SMG is a much better gun.

10 SVER
9 Raven
3 Valor

Lince

Banned
yep a silenced AR is cool for a couple of stealth kills but sadly a silly choice when most talented players are going to outgun you with the LMGs. On the other hand you'll see a lot of SVER players using it, simply because it really works when defending as SVER... spawn camping a short-handed team with a motion sensor + AR + silencer is the norm there, specially on their Domination map.

jorma

is now taking requests
I vote SVER since i'm at level 59 Raven currently (and have been for a good while...). Not sure if my vote counts though, since i'm not actually sure i'll be playing this weekend. :x

Click said:
Haven't tried the P90 yet but I'm pretty sure SVER's SMG is a much better gun.
It's all right. Its clip size is at least comparable to SVER's SMG (50 vs. 64), and it's way better than the Valor SMG's 30 round clip. That gun just sucks since it takes a lot of bullets to bring somebody down with an SMG if you aren't getting headshots, so you often get killed trying to reload after only downing 1 enemy.

The last game I played yesterday was a domination defense that went down to the wire. SVER won, but if there had been 5 more seconds on the clock Valor would have beaten us. I didn't feel like I was doing too well since I was dying so much, but somehow ended up with 7 ribbons, one was for 30 deaths though. It was nice seeing that much action on domination, the enemies were actually attacking in groups and not just throwing themselves at the burnoffs. It took them a while but once they got the bunkers down, we had a hard time at the pumps.

You know what isn't nice, getting knife TKed while activating an objective. There needs to be a bigger punishment for that stuff, like in Warhawk, a regular TK is -2, but team killing a flag carrier is -30. It should be more negative points than the TKer could earn back by completing the objective himself, plus no +1 stat count, since the people who usually do this to me are multi-veterans trying to blow up their 200th motor pool or something and don't care about the points.

edsPREZ

TelemachusD said:
The last game I played yesterday was a domination defense that went down to the wire. SVER won, but if there had been 5 more seconds on the clock Valor would have beaten us. I didn't feel like I was doing too well since I was dying so much, but somehow ended up with 7 ribbons, one was for 30 deaths though. It was nice seeing that much action on domination, the enemies were actually attacking in groups and not just throwing themselves at the burnoffs. It took them a while but once they got the bunkers down, we had a hard time at the pumps.

"There's a guy running into B... They're taking B... Let's stop repairing the sensor array... c'mon... somebody?" :lol

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:

That's the thing. Only once in a blue moon, when the stars align perfectly, do you get a good team attacking SVER on Domination and can actually put up a good fight against them. Before all the good players from Valor and Raven quit the game or switched over to SVER, Domination games were much more competitive and fun. Now that most SVER players know how to play Domination really well and with so many Valor and Raven being incompetent, combined with the map imbalance, Domination is no longer a viable game mode for me as Raven. Not to mention the fact that Raven's Domination map is broken...

TelemachusD said:
You know what isn't nice, getting knife TKed while activating an objective. There needs to be a bigger punishment for that stuff, like in Warhawk, a regular TK is -2, but team killing a flag carrier is -30. It should be more negative points than the TKer could earn back by completing the objective himself, plus no +1 stat count, since the people who usually do this to me are multi-veterans trying to blow up their 200th motor pool or something and don't care about the points.

You're right. They should penalize teamkills a lot more if the person getting killed is trying to (re)secure an objective. Whomever kills that person has to get at least -40 XP. It's somewhat rare, but I have been purposely TK'd plenty of times when trying to (re)secure an objective.

Everytime I do get TK'd in this situation though, I make it my mission for the rest of the game to TK the player and/or his clanmates back the whole game. I will keep TK'ing them until I either get voted out or kicked out by the 6 TK limit. 2 days ago, I TK'd an entire clan until I got booted out by the game because one of their players TK'd me on purpose when I tried to desecure an objective. They were trying to hunt me down the entire time, but because I was in the other squad, they couldn't see my name until they had their crosshair on me and they also couldn't vote me out. :lol

jorma said:
I vote SVER since i'm at level 59 Raven currently (and have been for a good while...). Not sure if my vote counts though, since i'm not actually sure i'll be playing this weekend. :x

As long as you plan on coming back to MAG soon, your vote will count.
Roughly about 3 votes (for Raven I believe) are from people that aren't playing the game and don't really plan on coming back. I am still counting their votes because I don't feel like having to verify everybody that voted.

11 SVER
9 Raven
3 Valor

Last day of voting...

Click said:
That's the thing. Only once in a blue moon, when the stars align perfectly, do you get a good team attacking SVER on Domination and can actually put up a good fight against them. Before all the good players from Valor and Raven quit the game or switched over to SVER, Domination games were much more competitive and fun. Now that most SVER players know how to play Domination really well and with so many Valor and Raven being incompetent, combined with the map imbalance, Domination is no longer a viable game mode for me as Raven. Not to mention the fact that Raven's Domination map is broken...

Again, I think a lot of people miss the scope of the battle. There are four frontlines which almost never overlap (and each divided into two sub-frontlines which only share common structures).
Each is a little different, some are easier for the defenders, some are easier for the attackers. Combined with different skilled squads (e.g. a whole clan) results in different battle situations within the same match, even if the attackers don't get the total damage high enough and you and your one squad having no problems. In short, it's not like e.g. on SVER Dom EVERYONE is yawning in their bunkers.
Or try attacking A&B of Raven Dom map with random people, suddenly their map is very hard.

btw. while I have not many total defender losses as SVER, almost ALL of them are Domination losses :lol , while I almost never lost a Sabotage defending game. Something which is said about Valor but on their sab map we win most of the time...

Click

Banned
SolidusDave said:
Again, I think a lot of people miss the scope of the battle. There are four frontlines which almost never overlap (and each divided into two sub-frontlines which only share common structures).
Each is a little different, some are easier for the defenders, some are easier for the attackers. Combined with different skilled squads (e.g. a whole clan) results in different battle situations within the same match, even if the attackers don't get the total damage high enough and you and your one squad having no problems. In short, it's not like e.g. on SVER Dom EVERYONE is yawning in their bunkers.
Or try attacking A&B of Raven Dom map with random people, suddenly their map is very hard.

btw. while I have not many total defender losses as SVER, almost ALL of them are Domination losses :lol , while I almost never lost a Sabotage defending game. Something which is said about Valor but on their sab map we win most of the time...

I posted one of these screenshots before. They show quite clearly how dominant playing as SVER with GAF was back a few months ago:

2ekp28p.png

6zrk49.png

I understand what you're saying though. A lot of people really don't realize that MAG's maps have a lot of variety to them and that often when you play Acquisition and especially Domination, there is a different experience to be had because of where you spawn. Every Domination map has 4 quadrants and 4 bunkers each quadrant. That's 16 different spawn points on just 1 Domination map.

Kowak

Banned
I now refuse to revive anyone who doesnt have a med kit. How can I be the only one on my squad with one? Raven is full of idiots carrying repair kits on an attacking acq. map. Its beyong belief.

Click

Banned
Kowak said:
I now refuse to revive anyone who doesnt have a med kit. How can I be the only one on my squad with one? Raven is full of idiots carrying repair kits on an attacking acq. map. Its beyong belief.

Yeah, afternoons (EST) are usually filled with shitty / newbie Raven and Valor players... more than usual.

Late nights are usually better though. For some reason the more talented players and their clans from Valor and Raven come out around 1 AM EST. But SVER also has better players on that time too. It's more fun to play at that time IMO.

A funny thing happened last night. I was in 2 Sabotage games where the same platoon leader had a great dialog he'd broadcast to the entire team at the start of every game. He said something like this: "This is your platoon leader blah blah. I want everybody to revive anyone you see dead. If I see you with a repair kit out, I will gut your ass. My clan and I will hunt you down and keep killing you until you quit or get voted out." The guy actually kept his word too. He kept TK'ing a kid with a repair kit out. It was some funny shit at the time...

Kowak

Banned
Click said:
Yeah, afternoons (EST) are usually filled with shitty / newbie Raven and Valor players... more than usual.

Late nights are usually better though. For some reason the more talented players and their clans from Valor and Raven come out around 1 AM EST. But SVER also has better players on that time too. It's more fun to play at that time IMO.

A funny thing happened last night. I was in 2 Sabotage games where the same platoon leader had a great dialog he'd broadcast to the entire team at the start of every game. He said something like this: "This is your platoon leader blah blah. I want everybody to revive anyone you see dead. If I see you with a repair kit out, I will gut your ass. My clan and I will hunt you down and keep killing you until you quit or get voted out." The guy actually kept his word too. He kept TK'ing a kid with a repair kit out. It was some funny shit at the time...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am against team killing except in that circumstance. Did a bit myself because someone couldnt revive me in an attacking position because he had a repair kit. people really need to get their layouts in order.

Hopefully I will play some more in a couple of hours.

I once played a sabotage game with Raven, attacking Sver's A side, with a kid who sat in our spawn, overlooking nothing but the tunnel, with a sniper and repair kit. I TK'ed him like 5 times straight, and everytime he ran right back to the same spot with the same loudout. He actually had the nerve to ask me why I kept killing him.

Click

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
I once played a sabotage game with Raven, attacking Sver's A side, with a kid who sat in our spawn, overlooking nothing but the tunnel, with a sniper and repair kit. I TK'ed him like 5 times straight, and everytime he ran right back to the same spot with the same loudout. He actually had the nerve to ask me why I kept killing him.

If they're sniping, it doesn't matter too much if they have a repair kit or a med. kit.
Well, I guess it only helps them out if they carry a med. kit.

Either way, they're most likely not helping the team out, as most snipers in MAG are shit anyway. Good snipers are very rare. I wouldn't mind having good snipers on my team but most suck too much to help lock down paths / areas.

animlboogy said:
Going through the last couple pages of this thread... I hope you guys at least yell at your squad and actually tell them what's going wrong. I rarely hear anyone day much besides how stupid the entire team is with absolutely no strategy talk to help anybody. I've played a few great games with random clans that talked, but what little i know about this game Ive had to figure out by reading threads like this one.

I'm the type to keep plugging through until I learn something but a lot of gamers aren't. It's a shame if people are turned off by this game because the community doesn't care to help new people in a team game...

I used to bother telling people what to do and how to improve. Sometimes it works and they listen but most of the time, they don't and only pisses me off even more.

For example, I tell my team to secure an area on Valor's Sabotage C and most of the time, only GAF and 1 or 2 others from my squad and platoon listen. Heck, sometimes even GAF players won't listen and would rather just do their own thing. But when people do listen, we usually take over C easily.

Another example is when attacking SVER's Sabo. A, I tell everyone not to rush the middle / left side because they usually get bogged down, dying over and over. I tell them to rush train tracks and most people don't listen at all. They keep dying at the same spots and will run back just to die again. After a while, they'll be discouraged and sit back to snipe. By then, we're getting spawn camped and I'm still the only one (with any GAF members that follow / listen to me) even making it out of the spawn.

Oh, and I only bother talking when I'm with GAF players. When I play alone, I mute my mic and just do my own thing. If I'm playing with another clan that seems good and likes to communicate, I'll listen to their directions most of the time and might even respond back.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Rarrrrr...finally level 60 on SVER. Much thanks to Telemachus and Prez for helping with the grind (sorry Prez had a phone call that's why I jumped off). Going on vacation for a week so I expect to come back and see everyone on RAVEN.

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
Welcome to frustration
population 1

:lol

guess everyone is just waiting for the double XP ?

this night shift is killing me btw... who would have thought hackers were so busy at night trying to break into banking companies, fricking noobs.

worldrevolution said:
Going on vacation for a week so I expect to come back and see everyone on RAVEN.

actually it looks like we might end up on SVER again...

I'm an expert

Yeah I realize that Lince..my plan of SVER first Raven last backfired sadly. Either way have fun guys.

Click

Banned
Lince said:
:lol

guess everyone is just waiting for the double XP ?

I played a lot this week and finally got 60.

Wish I played with you and others more though, especially J-Rzez.

11 SVER
10 Raven
3 Valor

Anton668

Click said:
Double XP weekend begins!

The DLC isn't available yet though.
Come on, PS Store update...

already taking advantage of it.

you really didn't think the "DLC" would be up yet did you?

Click

Banned
Lince said:
already? when does the voting end? I want to maximize this double XP thing...

Voting ends in roughly 7 hours.
I won't switch factions (if the poll remains the same) until the voting has ended.
Just hope there isn't a tie because that would be so retarded...

Anton, have you voted yet?

Anton668

not yet.

course now I should vote Raven just to fuck with you!

but Im rather sure I wont be voting for Valor, be a waste of a vote.

Lince

Banned
one more hour, then I'll switch over to SVER as my 4th and final vet... unless Raven get some votes, guess it's all said and done anyway.

SolidusDave said:
easy mode neutralising: everyone switch to SVER but nobody use LMGs, deal? :p
I've been pretty much exclusively using the SMG since I came back to SVER.

I'll try to send out SVER GAF invites if anybody's switching in the next couple hours.

Click

Banned
Well, the poll is now over.
It was a close one, even though Raven got a few votes from players that hasn't played and don't really plan on playing.

Anyway, please send me an invite to SVER GAF whenever someone gets the chance.
It's going to be good going back "home" to our original faction and clan.
I wonder who the clan leader is now, lol...

Kowak

Banned
I should make the switch later, just need 2000XP till level 60.

Its gonna be weird not playing as Raven. I played with them throughout the beta and started the raven clan and have never been anyone else.

TelemachusD said:
I've been pretty much exclusively using the SMG since I came back to SVER.

I'll try to send out SVER GAF invites if anybody's switching in the next couple hours.

I used the LMG until level 21, then switched to sniper. After getting my Sniper medal(s)/trophy around level 45 IIRC, I'm currently rocking the AR(+silencer). Will spend the last few points on the motion sensor.

oh I forgot to post something regarding having the repair kit in Sabotage (and going so far as tk these players):
You do realize you only have 5 layouts, right?
If I want to use my max equipped weapon + subweapon (especially sniper class) there is no way I can squeeze a repair kit (AND medical kit) in. For repairing I had ONE extra LMG layout to which I switch(ed) in Sabotage depending on the situation as well.
I'm sure as hell won't change my layouts (and remember to re-change) every time I want to play a sabotage match.

edit: btw I HATE this fucking "Get Now" DLC which MAG also uses. It only works with one PSN account, I don't have cc access nor PSN tickets for my actual gaming account, so non-free DLC for MAG will be a problem for me...
Basically the equivalent to Capcom's FF or Home's DRM (plus the fact all current PSN DLC is region protected...makes totally sense for region free games)

Click

Banned
My first 4 games on SVER were all attacking games.
Won 1 out of 4.

Didn't realize SVER are a bunch of quitters now if it isn't a defense game.
I mean, it's not like they don't have the map advantages and more skilled players.

It sucks starting from level bullshit yet again.
Wish Zipper made vetting more worthwhile...

Violater

Lince said:
oh dear, might as well stay Raven forever, no attacking? really?

Told you man I would rather be entertainingly frustrated than bored to frustration.
I don't find setting the frago on a bunker then sitting there the whole game in the least bit satisfying.

MAG – Fast Attack Gear Pack (free)
Strike fast, strike hard and get out. With the Fast Attack Gear Pack, the enemy won’t know you’re there until it’s all over. This gear pack has everything for the soldier that craves speed with additional survivability: a reinforced light armor package combined with all new Special Edition Sniper Rifles provide the best of both worlds.
File size: N/A

Its already on the disk huh?

Top Bottom