• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

J-Rzez

Das-J said:
Is anyone going to be playing tonight on Raven GAF?

Back to SVER already dude. Raven GAF is on life support, and Valor GAF had their headstone up for a while unfortunately.

Time to power grind xp and join us on SVER. :D

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright.. this being the first FPS since Goldeneye (aside from Halo but.. yeah...) I could really get into I am actually loving this game.

I only have a few problems:

Do any teams ACTUALLY work together? Seriously... in a game that requires team work its annoying to watch someone watch me drop JUST to revive me for the xp knowing I'll get killed again.

Also, Raven GAF is kind of dead, the most I've ever seen on at a time is 4 and no one actually groups... I left because of that :/

Which is the most active GAF faction? I'll get to the point I can Veteran out and join that one.

Three minutes left in that match and the power goes out. It's still flickering periodically, so I don't see much point in trying to get back on tonight.

Which is the most active GAF faction? I'll get to the point I can Veteran out and join that one.
A lot of people just switched to SVER. We had a group of 7 going tonight.

Anton668

So how many active gaffers do we have now in sver?

are there any stragglers yet to join, aside from me?

And Click, I knew sooner or later I'd run into you guys.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
I'm still rockin' Raven and I got my headset today (and my new PS3 :) )

If anyone wants to play just add SinXCerity to PSN and lemme know when you can play (I want to party and Raven GAF is a desolate zone of no one logging on and I'm not switching to SVER until I can at least Veteran out haha)

dazed808

Anton668 said:
So how many active gaffers do we have now in sver?
are there any stragglers yet to join, aside from me?
lsslave said:
I'm still rockin' Raven and I got my headset today (and my new PS3 :) )

If anyone wants to play just add SinXCerity to PSN and lemme know when you can play (I want to party and Raven GAF is a desolate zone of no one logging on

There's still a few of us Euros slugging through Raven, myself, Bignose and FFO manage to squad up once in a while (+ Violater, our angry Jamaican(?) brother of course).
I'm happy to add you ls but during the week we're usually done by 2am GMT so not sure whether that's a bit early for you?

Violater

dazed808 said:
There's still a few of us Euros slugging through Raven, myself, Bignose and FFO manage to squad up once in a while (+ Violater, our angry Jamaican(?) brother of course).
I'm happy to add you ls but during the week we're usually done by 2am GMT so not sure whether that's a bit early for you?
:lol Jamaican/Belizean
I want to jump back into some MAG, the last couple games we have played as Raven defense have been quite fun.

Kak.efes

So how long will it take to get from level 27 to 60 on Valor? Would anyone advise deleting my profile, and starting over on Sver? Other than statistics, what do you lose? I really regret switching in the first place.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
dazed808 said:

This week I am off work due to my health anyhow and now that i have a headset I'm totally down for late night MAG playing (between Grandia 1 and Nier :) Doing my next Heavy Rain playthrough tonight with my buddy though)

I don't have anything until next Monday so I'll be playing a bit for the next little while haha

Anton668

Kak.efes said:
So how long will it take to get from level 27 to 60 on Valor? Would anyone advise deleting my profile, and starting over on Sver? Other than statistics, what do you lose? I really regret switching in the first place.

well it all depends, if your the type to get 1000+ points per game, it wont take to long. Now if you get 100 points a game..... it may be awhile.

if you care about trophies, stick with it. If not, theres no real reason to suffer through it.

now that I think of it, if you want to suffer through, i'm on Valor right now as well. if you want, send me a friend invite( Anton_Lavaire ) and i'll get you into the clan im on now. seems to be a good group and its made being on valor tolerable.

Kak.efes

Anton668 said:
well it all depends, if your the type to get 1000+ points per game, it wont take to long. Now if you get 100 points a game..... it may be awhile.

if you care about trophies, stick with it. If not, theres no real reason to suffer through it.

now that I think of it, if you want to suffer through, i'm on Valor right now as well. if you want, send me a friend invite( Anton_Lavaire ) and i'll get you into the clan im on now. seems to be a good group and its made being on valor tolerable.

I'm down. My id is bKak, I'll be on in a few.

Kowak

Banned
Valor are just retards, We parked our APC right outside their gates and this guy in their APC kept driving pass it without trying to destroy it. Our APC was there for 15 minutes allowing us to instantly respawn, and they will wonder why they lost with 3 seconds to go at domination.

Anton668

Kowak said:
Valor are just retards, We parked our APC right outside their gates and this guy in their APC kept driving pass it without trying to destroy it. Our APC was there for 15 minutes allowing us to instantly respawn, and they will wonder why they lost with 3 seconds to go at domination.

well, having played all 3 pmcs, i've seen shit like that in all of them. or you park a apc as a forward spawn point and somebody else comes along and goes driving it away to get blown up.

Click

Banned
Anton668 said:
And Click, I knew sooner or later I'd run into you guys.

Heh, I was surprised to see you in that Sabo. game last night.
You and your clan gave us a run for our money.
It was fun having people constantly rush instead of sitting back to snipe / getting red-line camped.

Too bad SVER GAF wasn't on at the time and it was only me in that game.
Hope to see you soon in SVER...

gunther

ok, just changed to SVER, need invitation. my psn is guntherbchile.
n
edit: by the way, attacking your ex-faction is kind of awesome :D .

Kowak

Banned
gunther said:
ok, just changed to SVER, need invitation. my psn is guntherbchile.
n
edit: by the way, attacking your ex-faction is kind of awesome :D .

when i joined you in that game it was the first time i attacked raven on sabo and it felt weird. I never knew how many houses there were back there.

I also sent you an invite.

I had fun tonight, ended up playing for 4 hours straight and started performing better. I am never gonna have great k:d ratio but i started scoring well and was in the mvps for domination a couple times.

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:
We actually lost defending SVER domination twice in a row last night. It was pretty ugly both times too.

All it takes is 1 good attacking platoon vs. 1 bad defending SVER platoon to win on this map. It's still more difficult to attack compared to the other Domination maps, but it's very possible for SVER to lose their Domination map.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the game where we had 5+ GAF defending SVER Dom. about 4 nights ago. That was one of the most exciting games I've ever had. E & F fell very fast and was being overwhelmed almost the entire game. When a few of us GAF'fers went to help them out, our own letters started to get taken over. Other letters were getting in trouble too. The damage bar was at least 85% full. It seemed like a lost game until around the 6 minute mark...

Some way, somehow, our entire team banded together :lol and kept the attacking team from taking over letters for longer than 30 seconds. It went down to the last seconds, where we held them off and won the game. I've never experienced such a massive scale, last-minute teamwork in a video game like the last 6 minutes of that Domination game.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Alright... did Raven IQ drop 100000 points lately?

"We have to take objective A, there is no one there yet, LETS ALL STAND BACK AND LEAVE ONE GUY TO RUN IN! Backup? Whats that?"

and another choice example

"Hey, our guy just took the objective! He took out 4 guys to do it! All alone! LETS THROW GRENADES IN THERE WITH HIM!"

With a great example of

"There are 10 guys here... lets revive people instead of shooting back!"

And

"I'm going to knife team kill you before we even leave the spawn points because I'm that awesome! >.> <.< >.>"

Seriously... is Raven explicitely retarded suddently?

(Also... the player count is going down... is MAG dying off right after I blow 50 bucks on a damn headset? ... well 60 since I could only find the damn Socom bundle >.<)

I must admit I've been spoiled by the double xp weekend. Once the double xp was over and I found myself getting mediocre amounts of xp I stopped playing. I'll start playing it again once they do another double xp weekend.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
tonkatsu_ramen said:
I must admit I've been spoiled by the double xp weekend. Once the double xp was over and I found myself getting mediocre amounts of xp I stopped playing. I'll start playing it again once they do another double xp weekend.

I don't play for the exp, I play to have fun with the game.

I kind of wish I didn't blow the money on a headset right now... I could have bought a different game or something (not that Nier isn't satisfying me!) because the player counts are in the 300s range whenever I play and it appears to be 300 people who haven't learned how to work together...

I finally find an FPS I enjoy (see: can actually play without being ill) and its got no players at the moment... but I am hoping its because of the stimulus pack being released on PS3 just this tuesday and the players will come back

Anton668

ok, ffs, i'm about tired of the console glitching that has been present since the last update. seems like every other game anymore has somebody glitched into a console. mind you this is on sabo. doesnt matter valor, sver, or raven, they all have it and it sucks!

I thought they were working on this shit. if anything, its gotten worse.

fuck! sometimes I really hate this fucking game!

I finally went veteran over to SVER from Valor so if someone wants to send me a GAF clan invite, that'd be great

PSN: GitarooMan

It's so weird playing from SVER perspective. Now I can hide in all the same spots that used to annoy the shit out of me in Valor

Click

Banned
Anton668 said:
ok, ffs, i'm about tired of the console glitching that has been present since the last update. seems like every other game anymore has somebody glitched into a console. mind you this is on sabo. doesnt matter valor, sver, or raven, they all have it and it sucks!

I thought they were working on this shit. if anything, its gotten worse.

fuck! sometimes I really hate this fucking game!

I've been in about 3 Sabo. games where this has happened already.

In a Raven Sabo. defend game, my squad had 4 clanmates that somehow knew the opposing Raven glitcher (by name) and abused this glitch by planting at C over and over, while the glitcher kept on defusing. I tried stopping it by throwing gas grenades around the console but it didn't work this time for some reason. So I teamkilled the guy on my team who was whoring out the plants. He got really pissed when I did that and told my squad to vote me out.

Click said:
I've been in about 3 Sabo. games where this has happened already.

In a Raven Sabo. defend game, my squad had 4 clanmates that somehow knew the opposing Raven glitcher (by name) and abused this glitch by planting at C over and over, while the glitcher kept on defusing. I tried stopping it by throwing gas grenades around the console but it didn't work this time for some reason. So I teamkilled the guy on my team who was whoring out the plants. He got really pissed when I did that and told my squad to vote me out.
This just happened to me defending on Sabo against SVER. I was defending A and the B location just kept going back and forth from charges planted to charges defused over and over again for 10 minutes.

GitarooMan said:
This just happened to me defending on Sabo against SVER. I was defending A and the B location just kept going back and forth from charges planted to charges defused over and over again for 10 minutes.
B on SVER is the only place I've seen this happen, and only twice there.

bunbun777

GitarooMan said:

Couple of days ago when I was a low level Sver on Sab Def (B I think) this happened. Can not remember who was attacking and for over 10 minutes it kept getting defused and rearmed.

Me and two others scored 100's of points- still don't want to have to ever do that again...

Anton668

well, after listening to podcast #3..

the good news is the believe they know what is causing the geometry (console) glitch.

the bad news is who knows how long till they patch it.

Click

Banned
Anton668 said:
the good news is the believe they know what is causing the geometry (console) glitch.

the bad news is who knows how long till they patch it.

The bad news is Zipper always has terrible post-launch support. They take forever to fix glitches, exploits, and lag... if they fix it at all. And as we are seeing now, they have no clue how to balance maps and weapons. Real, substantial DLC is also non-existent.

The good news is, Zipper cares enough to SAY they will fix most of this game's faults. They are also "humble" enough to fix the horrible random bullet spread nerf.

It's really a shame that Zipper decided to move their main development team over to SOCOM 4, instead of properly supporting MAG for a few months after launch like they originally were planning to do. If Zipper took the time and effort to fix all the problems and add true DLC these last 3 months, MAG would have been much more of a success, rather than becoming a dying game. Instead of gaining and retaining fans, Zipper has effectively alienated 600,000+ gamers and will have to rely on the SOCOM legacy in order for their next game to sell well.

Lagspike_exe said:
Means that we'll get it in like 10th patch since launch. :lol

That's just how Zipper rolls.

They know about all the problems plaguing the game, but are incapable of fixing anything in a timely fashion. Zipper has enough humility to admit their game is flawed and are willing to talk about fixing it. But unlike premier online shooter developers like Infinity Ward, they can't actually fix and polish the game immediately after issues arise.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Since MAG seems to be going down the crapper... are there any other FPS games that are actually played that have a similar view/perspective/etc. that I can play without feeling ill?

Halo, MAG, these games are playable to me... but the MAG community is going to hell... so I need a new option for the headset I just wasted money on...

Click said:
The bad news is Zipper always has terrible post-launch support. They take forever to fix glitches, exploits, and lag... if they fix it at all. And as we are seeing now, they have no clue how to balance maps and weapons. Real, substantial DLC is also non-existent.
This I don't understand at all, now it's almost too late as the community is shrinking. Are we ever going to get new maps? It's sort of unbelievable.

I fired it up last night after around probably a 2 month break. I had fun, but still going in with a fresh attitude the game is chock full of glaring balance issues. New maps are a must.

I had no probem finding a game is was actually around a 1000 players for each faction while not alot it is fine for Sabo, which is my favorite game type.

Click

Banned
Anerythristic said:
I fired it up last night after around probably a 2 month break. I had fun, but still going in with a fresh attitude the game is chock full of glaring balance issues. New maps are a must.

I had no probem finding a game is was actually around a 1000 players for each faction while not alot it is fine for Sabo, which is my favorite game type.

MAG will always be a fun game as long as you're not a braindead FPS player and can learn the maps, objectives, and can shoot well. It's even more fun when playing with friends and/or a clan.

The game may get boring after playing a while since there aren't many maps available and MAG doesn't have a good map rotation system. The feeling of lack of maps is made worse because SVER's Dom. map is OP'd, while Raven's Dom. map is broken. It's strange, but I can personally keep playing the same 3 Sabo. maps over and over without getting too bored. Been playing the same Sabo. maps since beta and I'm still not too sick of this mode.

I just wish I can play more often and not at super late hours when nobody from GAF is online. I also wish more people would come back and play this game...

I am thinking about switching since I have been Valor since the beta. I do not want to play easy mode, so what does Raven GAF look like right this moment?

Kowak

Banned
I love this game so much, getting back into was a great idea. Although, now that I am moving to Korea I dont know how often I will get to play it and at a time when Gaffers are online. Its been fun. Plus if I do boot it up over there might be Valor to see what its like to be a hick.

Click

Banned
Kowak said:
I love this game so much, getting back into was a great idea. Although, now that I am moving to Korea I dont know how often I will get to play it and at a time when Gaffers are online. Its been fun. Plus if I do boot it up over there might be Valor to see what its like to be a hick.

It was fun playing with ya. Wish we could've done it more often.

Actually, I wish that we didn't all split up into 3 factions and started the GAF clan in the same faction together. Those were fun times. It would've been so much better if we had a unified GAF clan from the get-go.

BTW, Valor is retarded.
Most of them don't know how to play any mode other than Sabotage.
And most of the time, you'll end up on a bad Sabo. team.

I don't think I would go through Valor again, especially without a lot of the GAF players that were present when we vetted Valor.
The only thing good about being on Valor is using the Mk 46 guns. Those LMGs are amazing.

Aselith

I just got the game from Gamefly a few days ago and I've been enjoying it. It's good times so far however this is the most horrible bug ridden retail release I've ever played on a console. Really, really bad and this is probably a year out from release? Wow.

Bug I've encountered many times over two days of playing:

Menus get "stuck": Can't select spawn or loadout options sometimes at the beginning of a match or on a respawn and sometimes can. This happens all the goddamn time. Other times, it won't let me select anything on the screen before the match that has your squad breakdown on the left and the loadout options on the right side.

I parachuted into a level and my controls were FUCKED. It would go backward if I pushed forward and if I pushed backward it would do a drunk walk off to the front right or left side. It was literally like my character downed an entire bottle of Jack as he was parachuting in.

Someone revived me and it didn't actual revive me but I also couldn't respawn or access the menu. I had to quit out from the XMB and start the game up again. This is probably the worst bug I encountered.

I'm sure there are other one off bugs I'm forgetting.

I can't believe Sony let a game be released in this state especially one of their premier titles. This is some amateur hour bullshit and I can't even imagine the state the game was in for people at release.

Aselith said:
I just got the game from Gamefly a few days ago and I've been enjoying it. It's good times so far however this is the most horrible bug ridden retail release I've ever played on a console. Really, really bad and this is probably a year out from release? Wow.
Yeah, there are some bugs, but the game came out in January, not a year ago.

Menus get "stuck": Can't select spawn or loadout options sometimes at the beginning of a match or on a respawn and sometimes can. This happens all the goddamn time. Other times, it won't let me select anything on the screen before the match that has your squad breakdown on the left and the loadout options on the right side.
This one is easily fixable. Hit Start and then Circle and you should be able to select loadout/spawn location.

I parachuted into a level and my controls were FUCKED. It would go backward if I pushed forward and if I pushed backward it would do a drunk walk off to the front right or left side. It was literally like my character downed an entire bottle of Jack as he was parachuting in.

Someone revived me and it didn't actual revive me but I also couldn't respawn or access the menu. I had to quit out from the XMB and start the game up again. This is probably the worst bug I encountered.
Both of these have happened to me literally once in 375 hr. of playing. They aren't very common.

I'm sure there are other one off bugs I'm forgetting.

I can't believe Sony let a game be released in this state especially one of their premier titles. This is some amateur hour bullshit and I can't even imagine the state the game was in for people at release.
There are more you didn't mention: being unable to switch away from grenades, getting revived/exiting an APC inside geometry, etc., but nearly all of my matches are just fine.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
There seems to be a serious point of impact glitch in this game...

I've actually been shot in the foot (literally, the foot) and the game ran "headshot" instant death.

I've knifed people 3-4 times without them dying (point blank)

I've shot someone with 50 rounds point blank in the face without them taking so much as a single hit. (Point blank, impossible to miss, execution style)

I've had enemies literally 20-30 ft. away knife me.

The game almost seems random in the damage it gives and the range...

Either way, I've been having a lot of fun with the game. Been playing with only a single GAFfer but thats fine, I just wish Raven weren't the 'special ed' team... no real point in doing any matches other than Sabo. because one squad can win that (actually, its been proven, our squad has taken A and B many times and then had to rush C... it is to the point I am in shock if our squad isn't the top squad in the game :lol )

Click said:
BTW, Valor is retarded.
Most of them don't know how to play any mode other than Sabotage.

And most of the time, you'll end up on a bad Sabo. team.

So Valor is good at the only mode that matters anymore? There were 100 people a faction in Aquisition at no more than 300 or less in Domination. So I guess I will just stay Valor. :lol

Aselith

Could someone please explain roles to me? Is your role determined by what you put points in and any skill can effect you? Or is is that the role you have determines what skills you can use? In other words, I am a Rapid Assualt...will I only gain benefit from Rapid Assault skills or can I benefit from anything?

So like a Damage Bonus which is a Direct Action skill....will that still work with my role?

Aselith said:
Could someone please explain roles to me? Is your role determined by what you put points in and any skill can effect you? Or is is that the role you have determines what skills you can use? In other words, I am a Rapid Assualt...will I only gain benefit from Rapid Assault skills or can I benefit from anything?

So like a Damage Bonus which is a Direct Action skill....will that still work with my role?
The roles mean nothing. They just show you and others what you have the most skill points in. You can spec sniper and run around with the LMG just fine.

Aselith

TelemachusD said:
The roles mean nothing. They just show you and others what you have the most skill points in. You can spec sniper and run around with the LMG just fine.

All right cool, thanks man.

I'm sure other people got or will get it, but I just got a survey about MAG that included a question about a potential new mode via DLC called Interdiction, where both teams try to attack and control 3 command points. Sounds interesting, I hope they go through with it.

Top Bottom