• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

depward

NullPointer said:
I'll give you five bucks to join Valor. No questions asked. We'll also throw in some free steak knives.

Anyways, now that this game is about to hit, and we have some beta-veteran players here, what advice would you give for noobs that will soon slam into the floodgates of the MAG launch?

For my part, I'd advise:

- Make sure you have a mic, and that its ready to go.
- Listen to your squad leader and head for those Frago objectives.
- Play defensively. You die quick in this game, but if you use cover and move forward at a steady pace you'll reduce your frustration and move your attacking line up inch by inch. Check the level map and get your bearings before moving out. Level knowledge is whats going to keep you alive over time.
- When in doubt, don't strike out alone. Pick another squad mate and shadow him, not too close, but close enough to provide covering fire as needed.
- If you find yourself alone, in the front, against a defended objective, backtrack a bit and hold tight. Cover your squad getting back into position and when you're rallied together, try to take the objective en masse.
- Medic is a great skill tree to start with, so even if you aren't a rambo or eliter sniper, you'll aid your squad tremendously.

Any more you guys would like to offer up?

I'd offer a couple of things:

1) When in doubt, and when you have a competent Squad Commander, go to the frago zone.

2) It's really great to travel in packs, especially when all of you have some kind of healing or rezzing skills. If someone goes down, revive, heal up, and slowly creep.

3) I would say, stick to the default objective point you're attacking / defending (Sabotage mode). If you choose to go over and battle at the other point, let someone know; even having one less person defend or attack a point really handicaps the squads you're leaving. If you do leave, make sure everyone is on board and there's a strategy in place (i.e. overrun one point, cap it, and have the original attacking squads stay while the others go cap the other).

theBishop

Banned
Violater said:
When they call me the N word I sometimes don't know what the best response is.
Do I

A) Commence team killing
B) Tell them how much their mom likes it that way
C) Laugh it off
D) Ask them if they are really that bumhurt about having a Black President
E) Mute them, (is there a mute option in MAG, if not it needs one)
F) Generally some combination of all of the above

I'm always amused by instigating these people. Come up with something unspeakably horrible, and reply in a calm voice. Have fun.

depward said:
I'd offer a couple of things:

1) When in doubt, and when you have a competent Squad Commander, go to the frago zone.

2) It's really great to travel in packs, especially when all of you have some kind of healing or rezzing skills. If someone goes down, revive, heal up, and slowly creep.

3) I would say, stick to the default objective point you're attacking / defending (Sabotage mode). If you choose to go over and battle at the other point, let someone know; even having one less person defend or attack a point really handicaps the squads you're leaving. If you do leave, make sure everyone is on board and there's a strategy in place (i.e. overrun one point, cap it, and have the original attacking squads stay while the others go cap the other).

magavatar.jpg

Cowardly behavior, as expected from the inferior factions. :p

No one dares face us head-to-head!

Palmer_v1

I think a way to mitigate the xp bonuses to healing/reviving, is to leave fewer reviveable bodies around. Any headshot should be a one-way ticket to respawn, but it seems like only sniper headshots accomplish this in the beta. I also wish the revival wasn't so easy and immediate. Instead of just spraying them with magical juice, maybe require a one second charge time that you have to be standing still for. It would make those dash and revives a lot more dangerous in the open.

J-Rzez

Palmer_v1 said:
I think a way to mitigate the xp bonuses to healing/reviving, is to leave fewer reviveable bodies around. Any headshot should be a one-way ticket to respawn, but it seems like only sniper headshots accomplish this in the beta. I also wish the revival wasn't so easy and immediate. Instead of just spraying them with magical juice, maybe require a one second charge time that you have to be standing still for. It would make those dash and revives a lot more dangerous in the open.

Yeah, you should have to "accept" a rez I think. Also, it wasn't like that with the headshots in the prior phases iirc. I wonder if it's a glitch because it doesn't happen all the time, but I do notice it happening. Maybe they changed it up.

Now pick the faction you're pledging to and start talking shit on all the other scums like everyone else here! J/k. :lol

obonicus

J-Rzez said:
I never had that experience. From what I can tell, snipers clearing the path makes your team more confident when they're watching the other teams players and sniper die repeatedly in front of them, helping them out having less people to worry about shooting them on their way to the objective.

Do you play only with GAFfers/clan-members or do you play on pubs? Because it happens a LOT. People behave like they're playing counterstrike, they're afraid to die and so they wait for someone else to take the charge.

We can make up another hypothetical situation though, one where the run and gunners never make it to the objective because they're dead before they come close to it,

I've never seen this happen. I've seen whole teams die when they get to the objective, but never even getting there? There's plenty of cover in most of the maps.

or that they're by the objective, but see an enemy running the other way from it and decide to go chase them for a kill.

Sure, but we're back to useless team-mates. Ditching the person you're supporting is as bad as taking potshots with iron-sights from 50m away.

So it goes either way. Once again, I'm just tired of people acting like snipers are worthless.

They're not. I'll even say that it takes a lot more skill to be a good sniper and make a difference, which is why good snipers are hard to find. They really can soften the opposition, or force them to keep their heads down and not see the front-line creeping up on them. This is especially true when comparing to medics -- almost anyone can be a medic and actually contribute to the team, even if marginally, while a bad sniper is just dead weight.

If I go ~30-0, I think I deserve more points than what I get now.

Maybe they should offer an xp bonus for higher K/D ratios. Though high K/D ratio really doesn't translate directly into helping the team. Hell, there's at least one domination map in which the sniper can camp a spawn point while at the same point not really covering the objective properly. Objectives come first, always, and only people on the front-lines can capture them.

It's obvious in this game that if you go that high, you're in the action, and not just camping a corner on the steps with a shotgun.

Maybe for 30-0. But I've seen several games in which people had terrific K/D ratios and we were still losing miserably, partly because the other team was better coordinated and partly because the best player wasn't directly helping any of the rushes. You have to be willing to switch your kit to whatever the situation calls for. And there are quite a few in which being a sniper isn't the best for the team. I'm not saying that you're not willing switch, but rather that at some points even a great sniper wouldn't be a as good for the team as a 'good' rifleman/LMGer.

obonicus

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, you should have to "accept" a rez I think. Also, it wasn't like that with the headshots in the prior phases iirc. I wonder if it's a glitch because it doesn't happen all the time, but I do notice it happening. Maybe they changed it up.

You can also get killed with no rez chance from shots that don't show the 'headshot' icon. Maybe they just changed it for 'higher-cal' guns?

Cagen

Palmer_v1 said:
Oh, I'm SVER for sure, just waiting to see how many friends get it before committing to either GAF SVER or our own group.

Your friends are welcome to join us as well as far as I'm concerned, as long as we don't hit the clans player limit and they don't mess around being dicks. Priority obviously goes to GAF members but if you have a friend or two you want to play with then the more the merrier, though I don't want completely random people joining us heh.

If anyone joining SVER GAF objects to this then say so, either PM or post but as MAG isn't really clan competitive but rather faction competitive then the more people we have to play with the better, in my opinion.

Yeah I could never quite figure out the exact rules for rez vs respawn. The only thing I was really sure on was explosives = respawn.

J-Rzez

Oh I agree, there's many times I'll have to switch out to an assault loadout as sniping doesn't work at certain parts. Like Raven's C on sabo. There's one good spot to snipe from, but if you have more than one doing that it's a waste. I'll grab my 94 and grenades and get into there.

dorkimoe

i hope the servers are up, im gonna jump on now

i guess im making sver ;\ i hope i can find someone who will take me under their wing and show me the ropes

TheFallen

dorkimoe said:
i hope the servers are up, im gonna jump on now

i guess im making sver ;\ i hope i can find someone who will take me under their wing and show me the ropes
Send me a PM (PSN ID: Xploited13), I'll add you to SVER GAF if it hasn't been done already and we can play a few matches.

dorkimoe

TheFallen said:
Send me a PM (PSN ID: Xploited13), I'll add you to SVER GAF if it hasn't been done already and we can play a few matches.

awesome thanks, doing that now, Ill be on to play in an hour or so but ill msg you now

its either locking up, or taking forever after i agree to the license, its just chilling ;\

yeah its not letting me make a character or anything. Its showing an empty character and no news or anything, just like outlines :(

Boogat

dorkimoe said:
awesome thanks, doing that now, Ill be on to play in an hour or so but ill msg you now

its either locking up, or taking forever after i agree to the license, its just chilling ;\

yeah its not letting me make a character or anything. Its showing an empty character and no news or anything, just like outlines :(
Unfortunately the only way you can play right now is if you had signed up for the IGN tournament. Those signups closed awhile ago, so you are out of luck.
The next time you can play will be the 26th.

dorkimoe

Boogat said:
Unfortunately the only way you can play right now is if you had signed up for the IGN tournament. Those signups closed awhile ago, so you are out of luck.
The next time you can play will be the 26th.

well that sucks. :( oh well nothing i can do about it. guess ill finish assassins creed

dazed808

Cagen said:
If anyone joining SVER GAF objects to this then say so, either PM or post but as MAG isn't really clan competitive but rather faction competitive then the more people we have to play with the better, in my opinion.

Yeah definitely agree with this as we always get a large group saying they are gonna play and a good number just drift away after a week or so.
I'm sure Bignose from our KZ2 GAFe clan would love to join us on this so will get him to PM you on PSN (I'm sure he has you as a friend) when he gets round to picking this up.

jorma

is now taking requests
I really cant figure out why someone going 30-0 should be awarded more than someone going 30-30.

Lince

Banned
so which faction should I join to play with my GAFe friends? I heard some are joining Valor/Raven while the rest are staying SVER? wtf is this shit?

PTCoakley said:
Any room for Valor? PSN: Automatisch.

NO! ValorGAF is so small for a reason. To join you must slay an Alaskan Grizzly with nothing but a stone knife and spear. We are the chosen few.

please join, please.

Cagen

Lince said:
so which faction should I join to play with my GAFe friends? I heard some are joining Valor/Raven while the rest are staying SVER? wtf is this shit?
SVER is where it's at Lince, just a couple of low life deserters have gone Raven. Check the thread in the online forum.

Anyone order from play.com and recieved it early? They have changed the status of the game from "preorder" to "available now, dispatches with in 24 hours". I'll be annoyed that I didn't order from them to get the steel tin if I could have been playing on the 26th.

Kowak

Banned
Lince said:

if you actually want to play and win then join raven gaf!!! If you are a hillbilly thn join valor or sver if you are a terrorist.

(raven is the newest pmc yet already the best, that shows you how shit the other two are
according to the company bios

Kowak said:
if you actually want to play and win then join raven gaf!!! If you are a hillbilly thn join valor or sver if you are a terrorist.

(raven is the newest pmc yet already the best, that shows you how shit the other two are
according to the company bios

After we (SVER) will kill you like dogs we will gather your limbs and have an awesome cook out in your back yard.

BeeDog

If I order the Collector's Edition from the UK, will I be able to apply the in-box PSN voucher codes on my main Swedish PSN account? Anyone have had any experience with a similar situation?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Son of a MAG!

Arsenic

Just saw the commercial :D
Its great and probably their funniest one yet.

But i cant help but be upset Sony does nothing else to hype up its games. One commercial 4 days before its release....i dont know.

Leunam

I plan on buying this when it comes out. I'll need to pick up a mic too. Is there any character customization or is it just several skins? Didn't see it in the OP.

Noshino

Holy crap, loved the commercial

Arsenic said:
Just saw the commercial :D
Its great and probably their funniest one yet.

But i cant help but be upset Sony does nothing else to hype up its games. One commercial 4 days before its release....i dont know.

Well, its not like it can be helped, the game doesn't have hype because reviews aren't out.... so it really is pointless for Sony to hype it before release.

Leunam said:
I plan on buying this when it comes out. I'll need to pick up a mic too. Is there any character customization or is it just several skins? Didn't see it in the OP.
You can also choose between a selection of different faces, voices, and the colors of your armor/clothes. There's no advanced character creator.

Leunam

Meh, that's good enough for me.

I watched one of the developer walkthroughs where he is fighting outside. Is there much indoor/urban combat?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Ze_Pershing said:
After we (SVER) will kill you like dogs we will gather your limbs and have an awesome cook out in your back yard.
Yeah, the main reason why I don't wanna play with you SVER weirdos. :p

KGKK

Banned
Ohhhh yeah, time to get my Zipper on next week!!
Commercial was funny.
Which team is the underdog? I want to be on that team.

RedStep

Noshino said:
Well, its not like it can be helped, the game doesn't have hype because reviews aren't out.... so it really is pointless for Sony to hype it before release.

Chuck-waitwhat.gif

Wait... what?

Are you suggesting that Sony is unable to advertise a product before it has been reviewed? Shit, I better call EA and have them pull that new Battlefield:BC2 ad. They definitely don't have reviews for that one yet.

Noshino

KGKK said:
Commercial was funny.

Well, in general, that would be Raven...

...but in numbers, Valor GAF seems to have the least number of players, and the fact that Lyulf is more of a handicap.....:lol

RedStep said:
Wait... what?

Are you suggesting that Sony is unable to advertise a product before it has been reviewed? Shit, I better call EA and have them pull that new Battlefield:BC2 ad. They definitely don't have reviews for that one yet.

Sure buddy, tell me why would you put all your efforts on advertising an online only multiplayer game, which's main bullet point is the fact that has a massive amount of players online on vast maps.

People are still skeptical despite the praise of the beta phases. Sony needs reviews to back up the game.

People buy it at release, reviews come out (hopefully praising it), Sony advertises the game, people that were skeptical buy it based on reviews and they also see tons of people online.

Also, Battlefield is an established franchise, and BC2 is a sequel, oh, and if Im not mistaken, it does have single player campaign... so in other words, nothing like MAG, I really don't know why you brought it up :lol

KGKK said:
Commercial was funny.

Underdog? I don't know, ValorGAF needs members though. I am literally running a membership drive. It tough because we are paranoid and think people aren't joining us because Valor is the "American" faction in the game, which isn't even true. :lol

So join ValorGAF. :D

Little_Luke

Neo Member
These commercials make me proud to be a Sony fanboy. Oh ... and so does MAG and GoWIII and Gran Turismo and ... well you get the point. The 26th can't come fast enough

Top Bottom