• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Boogat

Just saw the commercial and I have to say, Sony really surprised me on this one. Really well done and it is one of their best yet.
I hope this gets a lot of playtime over the weekend.

Whomever is running that Online matchup forum better respect these new ValorGAF members.

Today so far PSNs

Automatisch
NegationSW
CoreyMV
Obaidr
PuMa

Sexual Tyransauri, all of them. Killing machines.

EDIT: VALORGAF, PLEASE TRY TO REMEMBER TO ADD YOUR INFO IN THE ONLINE MATCHUP THREAD.

I will of course remember to send out the clan invites and am taking down your PSN IDs.

PuMa

I'm locked and loaded to join ValorGAF next week. I was Valor in the beta, but didn't get a chance to hook up with any Gaffers. Looking forward to it.

TheFatOne

Anerythristic said:
Whomever is running that Online matchup forum better respect these new ValorGAF members.

Today so far PSNs

Automatisch
NegationSW
CoreyMV
Obaidr

BTW Anerythristic I may not be able to get the game day one so you will have to start the clan. I am not sure if I will have the time one Tuesday to stop by gamestop to pick it up and play it.

FFObsessed said:
Awesome commercial :lol

Gonna join Valor KINGS ClearCELL?

Fixed don't listen to FFO you know you want to be with your KING in Valor.

RedStep

Sure buddy, tell me why would you put all your efforts on advertising an online only multiplayer game, which's main bullet point is the fact that has a massive amount of players online on vast maps.

People are still skeptical despite the praise of the beta phases. Sony needs reviews to back up the game.

People buy it at release, reviews come out (hopefully praising it), Sony advertises the game, people that were skeptical buy it based on reviews and they also see tons of people online.

Also, Battlefield is an established franchise, and BC2 is a sequel, oh, and if Im not mistaken, it does have single player campaign... so in other words, nothing like MAG, I really don't know why you brought it up :lol[/QUOTE]

Your logic is only justified by more of your logic. It's all hypothetical.

Since the dawn of media, advertising has been used to increase awareness of a product. Sony is notoriously bad at utilizing advertising properly. There is no reason to put out an ad only 4 days before launch. It doesn't take a $40m media blitz to increase awareness of your product among those that aren't on GAF.

Hype in the real world is not created by reviews, it's created by advertising firms (and word of mouth, in some cases). To take it back to Battlefield, do you remember the launch of 1942? That was an original multiplayer-only (except bot matches) game, before the online gaming revolution, and EA managed to hype it damn well.

This is another of their missteps, and you are factually wrong in saying that there's no point in advertising their product.

Ironborn

Banned
Little_Luke said:
These commercials make me proud to be a Sony fanboy. Oh ... and so does MAG and GoWIII and Gran Turismo and ... well you get the point. The 26th can't come fast enough
proud to be a fanboy? seriously?
there aren't enough rolleyes-smileys in the world to express my feelings right now

on topic: too bad i haven't got the time for a huge multiplayer timesink right now, MAG looks HOT!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Tried starting the beta client today for the first time, but it just wouldn't download the next part. It just keeps on giving me an error with some gibberish. I think it might have something to do with me trying to play a US beta from the UK. And now the beta isn't on the UK store any more... damn.

obonicus

Anerythristic said:
Underdog? I don't know, ValorGAF needs members though. I am literally running a membership drive. It tough because we are paranoid and think people aren't joining us because Valor is the "American" faction in the game, which isn't even true. :lol

What's funny is that the voices mostly have vaguely European accents, like everyone's a Die Hard bad guy.

Kowak

Banned
Anerythristic said:
NO! ValorGAF is so small for a reason. To join you must slay an Alaskan Grizzly with nothing but a stone knife and spear. We are the chosen few.

please join, please.

so the bowing down and performing of acts on Lyulf is no longer required???

RavenSnake.jpg

thanks very much to cagen, he was able to put ravens logo on snakes beret, thanks to freethough to the suggestion.

p.s. i love the commercial, wish the UK got the american ones instead of the poor sony ones we get here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3dTxVnnryQ

Raven GAF, just a reminder, we do not beg for recruits. It is an honor to be one of us. Much like the Jewish faith, we do not proselytize.

Noshino said:
Sure buddy, tell me why would you put all your efforts on advertising an online only multiplayer game, which's main bullet point is the fact that has a massive amount of players online on vast maps.

People are still skeptical despite the praise of the beta phases. Sony needs reviews to back up the game.

People buy it at release, reviews come out (hopefully praising it), Sony advertises the game, people that were skeptical buy it based on reviews and they also see tons of people online.

Also, Battlefield is an established franchise, and BC2 is a sequel, oh, and if Im not mistaken, it does have single player campaign... so in other words, nothing like MAG, I really don't know why you brought it up :lol

You're trying too hard.

Kowak

Banned
Ironborn said:
proud to be a fanboy? seriously?
there aren't enough rolleyes-smileys in the world to express my feelings right now

on topic: too bad i haven't got the time for a huge multiplayer timesink right now, MAG looks HOT!

i know i sure am proud to be a sony fanboy, PSN is the only place mature enough to handle MAG!!!

KaYotiX

Banned
Actually pretty excited to try this game out, its nice to have different shooters to fall back on from time to time.

EDIT: ....dont be a fanboy of a console be a fan of gaming

Violater

Dear God the 26th can come soon enough, then I will be busy playing the game instead of reading all this incessant whining.
buh buhh no reviews...
Why make commercials...
SVER maps so unfair....
SMH

SVER-gaf, get ready.
Make sure your Official headsets are fully charged and have a backup cellphone blutooth on standby.
Raven will pay for their atrocities and Valor just because they exist.
Too long have we endured their ridicule, our weapons may be worn but our resolve never weary. When the enemy advances on our strongholds we will thin their numbers and break their will.
Their weeping and gnashing of teeth will be momentous and they will think twice about looking down at us.

Violater said:
SVER-gaf, get ready.
Make sure your Official headsets are fully charged and have a backup cellphone blutooth on standby.
Raven will pay for their atrocities and Valor just because they exist.
Too long have we endured their ridicule, our weapons may be worn but our resolve never weary. When the enemy advances on our strongholds we will thin their numbers and break their will.
Their weeping and gnashing of teeth will be momentous and they will think twice about looking down at us.

VICTORY SHALL BE OURS!

Noshino

RedStep said:
Since the dawn of media, advertising has been used to increase awareness of a product.

No one is denying that

Sony is notoriously bad at utilizing advertising properly. There is no reason to put out an ad only 4 days before launch

Why not?

It doesn't take a $40m media blitz to increase awareness of your product among those that aren't on GAF.

The question here is, why spend more money on advertising before reviews instead of advertising after the reviews/word of mouth are out there?

To take it back to Battlefield, do you remember the launch of 1942? That was an original multiplayer-only (except bot matches) game, before the online gaming revolution, and EA managed to hype it damn well.

Yes, I remember it, but I still don't get why you bring it up.

1942 could be played on your own, "single player" with bots, and there was also LAN, neither of the 2 are available on MAG. Not only that, 1942 was considered to be groundbreaking at the time, MAG does unique things, but it isn't as "groundbreaking".

Oh, and it wasn't released before the online PC gaming revolution, it came out after (or during may be the best suited word) the revolution. UT, Quake 3, Battle.net, hell, even the original Counter Strike came out before it.

So really, why do you keep bringing up BF, its case is nothing like MAG's.

This is another of their missteps, and you are factually wrong in saying that there's no point in advertising their product.

Im not saying that they shouldn't advertise the product, Im saying, for this specific product, which is a special case, why put all (or most) of their advertising before reviews/release/word of mouth? I really think that Sony has more to gain from putting more effort on advertising the game after there is already word of mouth out there, than before it. Now, whether Sony makes such effort later on or not, that's a completely different subject.

Cagen

Anerythristic said:

Today so far PSNs

Automatisch
NegationSW
CoreyMV
Obaidr
PuMa

EDIT: VALORGAF, PLEASE TRY TO REMEMBER TO ADD YOUR INFO IN THE ONLINE MATCHUP THREAD.

I will of course remember to send out the clan invites and am taking down your PSN IDs.
Respect Valor? Never!

I have a few of them down but I'm not hunting through this thread to find peoples details, if I see them though I'll add them to the thread.

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying how contentious this thread is. It's clear that the shadow war we are embroiled in has everyone on edge. I really look forward to months of senseless back-and-forths inter and intra PMC.

Cagen said:
Respect Valor? Never!

I have a few of them down but I'm not hunting through this thread to find peoples details, if I see them though I'll add them to the thread.

:lol , no I totally argree with you. ValorGAF is too cool for bothersome online matchup threads. I think the actual number is 16 members now, I think only half visited the matchup forum. I'll keep them organized :D

Click

Banned
Juniors have invaded this thread (and GAF)! LOL

Alright all you SVER MAGgots in the IGN tourny.
Log on tonight and let's make the last night we can play before release a good one.

KGKK

Banned
So I just watched a video describing each faction. Based on it I take it SVER will be the most popular eh? Raven's got the money and rich look, not me at all.
Sign me up for Valor when the game comes out:D
PSN:KGKK

Click said:
Juniors have invaded this thread (and GAF)! LOL

Alright all you SVER MAGgots in the IGN tourny.
Log on tonight and let's make the last night we can play before release a good one.

You have a problem with new members signing up and adding to the discussion? If no, please enlighten me what that LOL is supposed to mean.

KGKK said:
So I just watched a video describing each faction. Based on it I take it SVER will be the most popular eh? Raven's got the money and rich look, not me at all.

You are on the list.

This is a GAF Civil War, what has MAG done?!

KGKK said:

yeah, in all fairness, I think SVER should be the underdog in this game. They are the ones who collect scrap and fight with whatever they have.

KGKK

Banned
Solid Snake and Big Boss would have chosen Valor therefore they are better:D
The Patriots are Raven
SVER is Meryl/Johny

KGKK said:
Solid Snake and Big Boss would have chosen Valor therefore they are better:D
The Patriots are Raven
SVER is Meryl/Johny

Chad Warden would chose SVER. Therefore, SVER wins.

chad-warden2.jpg

Official seal of approval.

KGKK

Banned
Kowak said:
are excuse me?

look at the avatar.

Please, we all know you're just a double agent who's loyalty lies with Valor. After all, The Boss would have chosen Valor too. She is your god, would you deny her?

Kowak

Banned
KGKK said:
Please, we all know you're just a double agent who's loyalty lies with Valor. After all, The Boss would have chosen Valor too. She is your god, would you deny her?

if the she was dumb enough to join raven then i would deny her.

Lagspike_exe said:
No custom soundtrack on launch?

Because of MEMORY CONSTRAINS?

WTF?

[PSNation podcast is the source :(]

Unfortunately that's common on PS games, Uncharted 2, HSG5, Resistance 1/2 didn't support it, Modnation Racers won't support it....and the only 3rd party game I know that supports it is Burnout Paradise, meh.

Hopefully they'll patch it in though.

Violater

Question,
Upon reaching the Maximum level in the game. If I choose to go into veteran mode will this allow me to switch PMC and keep the points I have earned?

Top Bottom