• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

New dlc sounds good, but not sure if I will want to come back and invest. Hate not having enough people to actually get to play this stuff with.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
BattleMonkey said:
New dlc sounds good, but not sure if I will want to come back and invest. Hate not having enough people to actually get to play this stuff with.

If everyone comes back to try it there are new players, if everyone just sits there and thinks your way no one will come back.

Basically, break that mentality. We still have a devoted community on MAG that play it constantly and have fun. I have not been able to turn on my PS3 without messages to come onto the game. It is nowhere near dying/dead yet, just doesn't have MW2 levels of active players.

lsslave said:
If everyone comes back to try it there are new players, if everyone just sits there and thinks your way no one will come back.

Basically, break that mentality. We still have a devoted community on MAG that play it constantly and have fun. I have not been able to turn on my PS3 without messages to come onto the game. It is nowhere near dying/dead yet, just doesn't have MW2 levels of active players.

Well I've been burned many times already with DLC like KZ2 and Warhawk where the new paid maps were hardly played or hard to find enough people for a decent game.

The qeues to just play a regular domination match nowadays has grown greatly due to the population.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Also: Zipper guys: READ THIS

You can do 2 things

5-7$ for the Map Pack -> People get it and play and the former players come back to check it out / etc.

12-15$ (Actirape!) -> Goodbye player base, you will KILL the remaining loyal players if you do this. Not kidding. Don't let anyone tell you its a good idea, I will honestly tell you it will be the end of the game if you make this move (the former players won't come back to the game with this AND the current players will become divided which will cripple the game entirely!)

Activision rapes its customers, but they have the "college" age kid who gets mistreated and abused. For the most part MAG has a more mature player base (I am the youngest in my group) and they won't be so quick to jump on this!

For the love of god don't get greedy and kill the game!!!

fixuis

I cant update the game. It says cannot connect to server, get the latest update. Have a region 3 disc. Is anyone else facing this issue since the new patch went live? Was working fine on 1.05 before this patch went live. Any ideas?

Also 9.99?!?! Damn that's too high. Dlc sounds good but the price is a bit too steep.

Das-J

Law of the West
fixuis said:
I cant update the game. It says cannot connect to server, get the latest update. Have a region 3 disc. Is anyone else facing this issue since the new patch went live? Was working fine on 1.05 before this patch went live. Any ideas?.

The servers are getting hammered right now... give it a bit! :D

darkwing

fixuis said:
I cant update the game. It says cannot connect to server, get the latest update. Have a region 3 disc. Is anyone else facing this issue since the new patch went live? Was working fine on 1.05 before this patch went live. Any ideas?

Also 9.99?!?! Damn that's too high. Dlc sounds good but the price is a bit too steep.

it seems R3 copies have their patches delayed than the R1 ones

I'm happy about 3 new big maps, but the new mode doesn't sound so hot. First of all, I still want my 3 fractions at once mode and second how the use of APC is described in the article isn't really different from how (good) squads use them already.

Neutral starting points should prevent map balancing issues though, similar to BF's conquest mode.

Would be nice if we could use the 3 new maps (With new settings I hope?? the jungle/temple screenshot looks awfully familiar...) in the old modes too if only in Sabotage. (but then the new maps should be in the playlist for all players and not only the addon buyers)

legbone

maybe i'm a foolish optimist, but i look forward to jumping back into mag with this. i hope the new mode is fun. i really need to vet out of valor sometime this century. i hope they give us a double xp weekend soon. i missed the last one. i hope the next dlc (there goes that optimism again) gives us new maps for the existing modes. oh well, one can dream.

fake edit: looking back at that post it is full of hope and optimism. what the hell happened to me. i used to be a jaded gamer. i must be mellowing with old age.

Lince

Banned
Violater said:
Lince report.

played some Domination games this afternoon, with this patch my connection issues have been magically solved, don't know how but it runs smooth now even with my high-speed profile (30mb download / 15mb upload), color me surprised.

some random and quick impressions

- vehicles are too fast, responsive and easy to control now, everyone and their mothers are driving humvees around killing everyone in sight with the increased fire rate, it's is too arcade and you definitely need to carry RPGs at all times now just for the flying humvess.

- LMGs have some random bullet wander again (ffs Zipper), but if you go prone it tends to compensate a lot for it so I guess now it's working the way it was meant to be from the start.

- ARs are somewhat useful now since they're more accurate than LMGs, too bad about the extremely limited clips in a 256 player game, I don't get it.

- the "you can fire your gun inside an APC now" feels like a gimmick imo, it's buggy too, sometimes you switch between views and your hud just disappears.

- the game is full of noobs, more than ever, seems like shops are running a huge pile of second-hand copies of MAG and some kids got a few, the usual SL not setting Fragos, OiC sleeping away, etc.

- I killed 3 guys with one RPG, I hope they didn't dial the damage up for this bitch or else :lol

legbone

Lince said:

that is great news about the assault rifles. i think that was part of the reason i stopped playing a month ago. i just got tired of the damn lmg's.

not so great news about no one setting fragos and such. but it was really headed that way from the beginning. i really need to learn how to command in game types beside sabotage. i was afraid i would suck at it. if no one is following orders then maybe no one will bitch about my poor leadership. of course following orders is just half of it. one of my biggest pet peeves is no one setting fragos. jeez, how hard is it? end rant.

Lince

Banned
"Server currently unavailable"
"visit the PSN to purchase a slot for a new character"

what a show off Zipper :lol

Click

Banned
$10 for 3 maps?
Really, SCE? You guys didn't learn anything from survey?
MAG isn't MW2, where you can charge $10 for anything new and the massive playerbase will just eat it up.

I'll probably end up getting the map pack, but A LOT of other people won't.
In a game that already has player population issues, I just don't see how this is a wise move.

At least it won't kill the community as much as other games that use matchmaking, because those that don't get the map pack simply won't play that game mode / those maps. They'll stick with the usual Sabo., Acqui., and Dom. modes. I'm guessing only the "hardcore" MAG players will buy the map pack and that it'll be populated for the first few weeks, then die out because nobody else will buy/play it.

Anyway, I can't connect to the MAG server.

jayb said:
I was considering buying MAG, but now with the paid DLC that will split everyone, I'm definitely out. :(

:lol
I love retarded posts like this one here.

Click

Banned
Lince said:
played some Domination games this afternoon, with this patch my connection issues have been magically solved, don't know how but it runs smooth now even with my high-speed profile (30mb download / 15mb upload), color me surprised.

Good to hear. Now you'll play more often...

Lince said:
- vehicles are too fast, responsive and easy to control now, everyone and their mothers are driving humvees around killing everyone in sight with the increased fire rate, it's is too arcade and you definitely need to carry RPGs at all times now just for the flying humvess.

I've hated the Humvees even before the patch. People abused them, often driving them around the entire match, never getting out of those damn things. Some would park them by a bunker, behind cover, shooting anyone that tries to plant on the bunker. Valor does this constantly. Others would park them behind gates or next to the AA so no APCs have a very tough time getting through and people can't plant on the AA. SVER (GAF) does this often.

Now they're going to be abused even more, now that they're supposedly overpowered.
*sigh*

Lince said:
- LMGs have some random bullet wander again (ffs Zipper), but if you go prone it tends to compensate a lot for it so I guess now it's working the way it was meant to be from the start.

I wonder what's so difficult about making weapons have real kick / recoil, instead of the shitty random bullet spread or invisible bullet nerfs that Zipper seem to be constantly giving us. At this point, who cares. I've given up on hoping for Zipper to properly patch weapons, especially the LMGs.

Lince said:
- ARs are somewhat useful now since they're more accurate than LMGs, too bad about the extremely limited clips in a 256 player game, I don't get it.

I've been using ARs, but yeah, the complaint everyone has about them is the fact that you have less than 150 rounds each loadout. That's about half as much as LMGs and LMG magazines carry 3x+ more ammo than ARs do. Maybe, just maybe, Zipper will increase the ammo capacity of ARs and lower LMG clips to 200 bullets max per loadout.

Lince said:
- the "you can fire your gun inside an APC now" feels like a gimmick imo, it's buggy too, sometimes you switch between views and your hud just disappears.

I'm gonna have to try this out.
It sucks if it's buggy like you said. Takes Zipper forever to patch their bugs and glitches... some never get fixed.

Lince said:
- the game is full of noobs, more than ever, seems like shops are running a huge pile of second-hand copies of MAG and some kids got a few, the usual SL not setting Fragos, OiC sleeping away, etc.

Well, all the n00bs (and vets) are coming back to MAG to try out the new patch.
I've also said this many times: Weekdays (especially during the day, EST) are full of n00bs. Play late at night (again, EST) and on the weekends. You'll see more talented players come out.

Lince said:
- I killed 3 guys with one RPG, I hope they didn't dial the damage up for this bitch or else :lol

Oh no. I also hope they didn't increase the damage of RPGs, although I think that's a possibility because of all the new vehicle changes / additions. RPGs were one of the weapons that Zipper got right. It wasn't an overpowered weapon like it is in most online shooting games. The damage was just right. If they fucked with it, expect everyone to be shooting this things everywhere now. Why increase the damage against infantry??

Click

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
With a game with such a strained population already, there is nothing retarded about his comment.

No, there's nothing retarded about some guy claiming to want to buy MAG 4 and a half months after its release, then say he's definitely not getting it due to a paid map pack.
And he posted this the day they announced the map pack. Yeah, "nothing retarded about this comment" my ass.

Oh that's right. You hate me for some reason.
Why do I even bother responding to haters like you?

jayb

Click,

I was already on the fence about buying this because of concerns about the dwindling population. Because paid DLC almost always creates some sort of split in the player-base, I would rather not spend money on a game that might now have even longer wait times for a lobby to fill up.

I would hardly consider my logic mentally challenged.

Click

Banned
NullPointer said:
I always figured MAG would live or die by its first DLC and whether it was free or premium.

Well, good luck with that Zipper.

It's not Zipper that decides whether or not they should charge for DLC.
Nor do they have much of a say in how much they should charge.

The decision is made by SCE(A).
Sucks that it's so expensive though. $3 - $5 would have been a good pricepoint if they were to charge for it at all. I guess SCE looked at what other games are charging for DLC and decided to follow that precedent.

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Will anything be done to the TK'ers at the start or end of a match?

It'll be a lot more difficult to TK people now.
So unless you are actively trying to get into a TK fest, shooting each other for more than half a minute, I doubt you'll be TK'd at the start / end of a match.

jayb said:
Click,

I was already on the fence about buying this because of concerns about the dwindling population. Because paid DLC almost always creates some sort of split in the player-base, I would rather not spend money on a game that might now have even longer wait times for a lobby to fill up.

I would hardly consider my logic mentally challenged.

I'm sure you were right on that "fence," about to cross over when the DLC announcement was made, which pushed you back over to your side of MAG-less "fence..." forever. Then you felt the need to tell us that you were sooo close of purchasing MAG, even though you haven't crossed that "fence" in 4 and a half months, but will never buy/play the game, simply because of an eminent map pack release.

I'll be looking forward to reading your non-mentally challenged posts in the future, about a game you've never played, but wanted to, but will never buy because of a map pack. Amazing stuff.

Das-J

Law of the West
[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Will anything be done to the TK'ers at the start or end of a match?

Hopefully these changes in 1.06 will help a bit with that:

- Player knife attacks no longer deal damage to members of own PMC
- Headshot damage bonuses no longer apply to friendly fire

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, hopefully I'm not screwed since I just pulled the trigger and bought MAG via the Amazon discount right now ($35 bucks new plus $10 future game credit) and a USB headset for my PS3 :p

Is the player base really dying off this soon? I'm not real picky about my first person shooters. I'll keep playing them even if everything isn't pitch perfect in 'em.

Click said:
It'll be a lot more difficult to TK people now.
So unless you are actively trying to get into a TK fest, shooting each other for more than half a minute, I doubt you'll be TK'd at the start / end of a match.
Das-J said:
Hopefully these changes in 1.06 will help a bit with that:

- Player knife attacks no longer deal damage to members of own PMC
- Headshot damage bonuses no longer apply to friendly fire
Thanks guys.

Click

Banned
Kaijima said:
Well, hopefully I'm not screwed since I just pulled the trigger and bought MAG via the Amazon discount right now ($35 bucks new plus $10 future game credit) and a USB headset for my PS3 :p

Is the player base really dying off this soon? I'm not real picky about my first person shooters. I'll keep playing them even if everything isn't pitch perfect in 'em.

The playerbase has been on a decline for a long time.
However, there's still enough people to play all game modes everyday, especially Sabotage.

There are usually 3k players playing Sabo. at peak hours, 1.5k late at night (EST). Roughly 1k play Acqui. at peak hours, almost nobody plays late at night. Dom. has about 1k-1.5k playing at peak hours and if you're lucky, 600-800 late at night. But often, nobody plays Dom. late night.

There will be a huge surge in playercount with this patch, but it will eventually die down again.

Welcome to MAG. GAF used to have a big presence in the game but only a few people remain these days. I hope you enjoy the game as much as some of us have. If you need an invite to SVER GAF, let me know. If you want to play for the other factions, post here anyway and ask for an invite. I believe there are still a few stragglers that still play in our Valor and Raven GAF clans.

Violater said:
So correct me if I'm wrong, still no changes to the maps?

No, but this patch will "prep." the game for easier map patching "soon."
I'm guessing that because Das-J and his team are now done with working on the map pack, they're going to focus on map and weapon balancing. Hopefully they can get it done asap. No pressure, Das. :lol

jayb

Click said:
I'm sure you were right on that "fence," about to cross over when the DLC announcement was made, which pushed you back over to your side of MAG-less "fence..." forever. Then you felt the need to tell us that you were sooo close of purchasing MAG, even though you haven't crossed that "fence" in 4 and a half months, but will never buy/play the game, simply because of an eminent map pack release.

Wow, I'm trying to be nice and you're being an incredible douche bag for no reason.

And if it really matters that much to you, I did inquire about this game five days ago before I knew about the DLC: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21614237&postcount=6173

Anyway, maybe if the number of players starts to increase I'll reconsider this game, otherwise it's a no buy for now. No biggie.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
My big (gasp!) question is this:

What about Map Balances? Raven players bitch and moan when we get put into directives because our Domination just isn't fun.

Thats the thing, our Dom is so crippled that it isn't even fun. I love an uphill battle, makes the win a lot sweeter, but Domination isn't an uphill battle, its Vimy Ridge and I don't have enough Canadian friends playing to hold it with me!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Click said:
Welcome to MAG. GAF used to have a big presence in the game but only a few people remain these days. I hope you enjoy the game as much as some of us have. If you need an invite to SVER GAF, let me know. If you want to play for the other factions, post here anyway and ask for an invite. I believe there are still a few stragglers that still play in our Valor and Raven GAF clans.

Ok... thank you for the info. My copy will be here Thursday; I'll try to get my sea legs with training and wrap my head around what I wanna do next.

This is the kind of game that clan players will love, and will most likely continue to love for the long haul. If that's something you're into, MAG is one hell of a unique, tactical experience.

For more casual players the decline in playerbase hurts a lot more, and the limited number of maps (free) affects this game more than most. So yeah, you might be able to get onto a Sabotage match quickly, but be prepared to play one or two maps only for a good while.

And regardless of whoever made the choice to charge for the DLC its a bad decision as it will definitely split the already niche community. For the casual to moderate player these kinds of decisions matter quite a bit. But for clans? Looks like there's only good stuff coming down the line.

So in other words... MAG is dead. Long live MAG.

Click

Banned
jayb said:
Wow, I'm trying to be nice and you're being an incredible douche bag for no reason.

And if it really matters that much to you, I did inquire about this game five days ago before I knew about the DLC: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21614237&postcount=6173

Anyway, maybe if the number of players starts to increase I'll reconsider this game, otherwise it's a no buy for now. No biggie.

If you STILL don't understand why I'm being a douche towards you, I'll say it again for the third and last time.

You come in here claiming to want to buy the game, but haven't in 4 and half months.
Just because a map pack is coming out, you're saying you'll never buy this game.

Basically, your post is FUD (if you don't know what it is, Wiki / Google it).
Your post did nothing but to let people know you're not going to buy MAG.
Nobody cares and it doesn't matter. Simply put, it's a retarded post.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Raven GAF is pretty much dead. No one ever logged on and the only 2 people who were active have joined my clan on Raven side.

That isn't to say that the... semi GAF Raven clan isn't active. If someone is inactive for a month I usually kick them, we keep it with regularly cycled and active players! :D (And only people we get along with, anyone who is in the clan is 99.9 percent guaranteed not to be a D-bag, unless someone else invited em and I haven't noticed them to kick them yet)

fixuis

Click you want to back off a little? Seriously, the guys just voicing his opinion and you're coming across as some giant douche who seems to be foaming at the mouth for no reason.

@jayb: give the game a try regardless. You'll find that the community is strong and a good bunch of guys. This game will stand the test of time like warhawk, regardless of how many ppl purchase the dlc or not. Both sets will have enough people to play with dlc or the original content on the disc. It's just designed that way. Quick and dirty. Get in, raise he'll, get out, just like warhawk.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
fixuis said:
Click you want to back off a little? Seriously, the guys just voicing his opinion and you're coming across as some giant douche who seems to be foaming at the mouth for no reason.

@jayb: give the game a try regardless. You'll find that the community is strong and a good bunch of guys. This game will stand the test of time like warhawk, regardless of how many ppl purchase the dlc or not. Both sets will have enough people to play with dlc or the original content on the disc. It's just designed that way. Quick and dirty. Get in, raise he'll, get out, just like warhawk.

Eh, some people can be annoying I can see his being irritable. Its the stealth trolling, the "i'm going to go complain about a game I have no interest in playing"

I can't understand it, I never went into the Halo Reach beta thread and said "I'll never play it and *insert BS reason*"

Then again, as a Raven player I think I'm just supposed to say "DAMN THOSE SVER GUYS ARE ALL LIKE THAT!"

Anyone who wants to join Raven clan (some GAFfers in, some not, its all good fun though) add SinXCerity, I'll be playing the living hell out of the new patch tonight!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
fixuis said:
Where's the valorgaf clan leader. Valorgaf assemble! We've been kicking some major ass these past few weeks.

Too ashamed to admit he is a clan leader on that faction? Don't blame him. I'd be ashamed of it to.

In every match (this isn't hyperbole) I have played against valor I see someone with either "weed" "pot" "420" or etc. to that effect in their name.

Click

Banned
lsslave said:
Too ashamed to admit he is a clan leader on that faction? Don't blame him. I'd be ashamed of it to.

In every match (this isn't hyperbole) I have played against valor I see someone with either "weed" "pot" "420" or etc. to that effect in their name.

My alt.'s name in Valor is Rasta_Hamsta. :lol

I try to download the 36 MB (XMB) MAG patch at the moment, it takes forever wtf.
Did they reduce the server numbers that much?

edit: error at 80%

fixuis

Still can't get 1.06 going. Going to delete 1.05 game data and try again. Should I also delete the saved data?

Edit: Das-j, can you check please if the region 3 patch has gone live?

I'm gonna hop on and play a few rounds. Anyone else in SVER getting on tonight?

I like the lowered medal requirements, but you should get an extra symbol on it or something for reaching the old number.

Click

Banned
The servers are all fucked up, ever since 4 AM EST this morning.
Probably because too many people are trying to download the patch and play at the same time.

They're doing a server maintenance right now. Not sure if it's done or not.

I'll try to be on tonight, Telemachus.

Click said:
The servers are all fucked up, ever since 4 AM EST this morning.
Probably because too many people are trying to download the patch and play at the same time.

They're doing a server maintenance right now. Not sure if it's done or not.

Can't be THAT many people ;)
but I tried it again now, no problem, same for the ingame update. Maybe it was just my internet connection or I hit some server reset or whatever.

edit: still want the XMB screenshots back :p

Violater

Downloaded patch in less than 5 minutes.
Been sitting in Mission Deploy for about 15
Player counts suck right now.
And crashed in the Loading screen Awesome

Varth

Lagspike_exe said:
New patch is live. Also, it is now confirmed that the new DLC will be called Interdiction.

From MAG forums:

Ribbons:

Medals:

For a moment I thought they were planning to make some of the medals actually achievable, and planned to get back into the game. Well, it's been a nice moment -__-

Top Bottom