• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

^
|
ah, NICE, all 3 fractions on one map! :)

The Interdiction addon has 3 additional trophies (btw can be sorted like Uncharted 2):

King of the Hills (Bronze)
(Earn the Roadside Assistance medal while playing Interdiction)

Red Ball Express (Silver)
(Ear the Designated Driver medal while playing Interdiction)

Road Runner (Gold)
(Capture 3 Interdiction control points in a single round)

I just earned the King of the Hills trophy (and the corresponding medal) :lol :lol :lol

edit: I only played a normal Sabotage game, no trophy-cheating, please don't ban me Sony.
edit2: strange, the addon trophies are not listed yet if you compare trophies, normally it's the other way around for unreleased DLC.

Click

Banned
TelemachusD said:
The SMG got a MASSIVE boost at close range. You can mow dudes down with it now. The firepower feels likes it's at least been doubled.

shocked.png

J-Rzez

While it's nice to finally get some DLC in play, I'm not sure how friendly the price is. Perhaps it should have been targeted to be closer to the $6.99 price point due to player count at the moment. It'll get me to play again for sure as I was just totally burnt out on the maps.

I was hoping though with DLC for a patch to release at the same time to raise the level cap by 5 or 10, along with throwing in a few new abilities, or better yet, unlocks for some new weapons. This is the one thing I felt the game indeed lacks a bit of, and that's weapon selection. I'm not just talking about "Mark II" weapons either, new weapons all together.

Although this DLC is a few months later than I was hoping for, it's most certainly welcome and I'll be there day one for it. Future DLC plans sound nice too with the three PMC's battling each other at the same time that so many asked for. Zipper has been really good with patch support, far better than most other devs at that. Hats off there.

Yeah, the game has been vastly improve since the launch (and especially since the demo). And it seems they have new patches in the pipeline, so the game could easily look quite different when they're done with it when compared to the first version.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Lagspike_exe said:
Yeah, the game has been vastly improve since the launch (and especially since the demo). And it seems they have new patches in the pipeline, so the game could easily look quite different when they're done with it when compared to the first version.

Sabo becoming Neutral is kind of badass, I won't deny that :D

Can't wait for SVER whores to see what its like to try and take their base with its... "shielding" from snipers >.< YOU SHALL SUFFER MY WRATH! MUAHAHAHA!

Seriously though, I am psyched for both new playstyles, the fixing of Sabo, and if they listen to our pleading

fix-raven-domination-NOW! *puppyeyes*

Click

Banned
J-Rzez said:
While it's nice to finally get some DLC in play, I'm not sure how friendly the price is. Perhaps it should have been targeted to be closer to the $6.99 price point due to player count at the moment. It'll get me to play again for sure as I was just totally burnt out on the maps.

I was hoping though with DLC for a patch to release at the same time to raise the level cap by 5 or 10, along with throwing in a few new abilities, or better yet, unlocks for some new weapons. This is the one thing I felt the game indeed lacks a bit of, and that's weapon selection. I'm not just talking about "Mark II" weapons either, new weapons all together.

Although this DLC is a few months later than I was hoping for, it's most certainly welcome and I'll be there day one for it. Future DLC plans sound nice too with the three PMC's battling each other at the same time that so many asked for. Zipper has been really good with patch support, far better than most other devs at that. Hats off there.

It is too high of a price for 3 maps.
I understand the maps are huge and took a long time to create and polish, but with the current playerbase, $10 is just too much. I'll buy it though, just to support Das and Scott Rudi. :D

Level cap increase would be nice but eventually, we'll all reach it and want more levels/ranks. As for new weapons, they've already said (in Zipline podcasts) that there will be a lot of new weapons coming "soon." And yes, brand new weapons, not just upgrades of existing weapons.

I don't want to sound negative, but to be honest, a lot of the patches have been meh or even counterproductive. Yes, Zipper does try and patch things up. But many of those patches didn't fix the problems people want fixed. In fact, the random bullet spread nerf caused a huge chunk of the playerbase to quit the game. Oh, and Domination maps are still imbalanced and glitched.

The problem now is to figure out whether the patches and DLC is even worth it. The userbase is quite small and always shrinking. They could have tried to revive it with 1.06 + free DLC + XP weekend but that's probably too much to ask for. :p

Click

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
The problem now is to figure out whether the patches and DLC is even worth it. The userbase is quite small and always shrinking. They could have tried to revive it with 1.06 + free DLC + XP weekend but that's probably too much to ask for. :p

You swear like SCE cares about us. :lol
Zipper spent months creating these maps and vehicles.
They'll be damned to give it all out for free, even if it means possibly putting a stake in MAG's heart.

Click said:
You swear like SCE cares about us. :lol
Zipper spent months creating these maps and vehicles.
They'll be damned to give it all out for free, even if it means possibly putting a stake in MAG's heart.

Just some wishful thinking. :lol

Lince

Banned
10 bucks? if that's 10 Euros in Spain they can kiss my ass goodbye, I did pay 62 Euros for the collectors edition of this online-only game, got 300 hours of enjoyment (and some frustration with the random bullets patch) out of it but mark my words, the new DLC will last 2 weeks max, same as KZ2. Too expensive and splitting the already worryingly small userbase in two is not the best idea, what a great decision Zipper, you guys are definitely the best, noobs.

Violater said:
Unable to spawn glitch says hi :(

a lot of glitches are still in there, MAG is too big of a project for Zipper's coding skills, they need more coders and way more talented while they're at it, network code isn't everything guys. It's gonna take a lot to make me buy a Zipper game again, too many reservations.

Metal B

Lince said:
10 bucks? if that's 10 Euros in Spain they can kiss my ass goodbye, I did pay 62 Euros for the collectors edition of this online-only game, got 300 hours of enjoyment (and some frustration with the random bullets patch) out of it but mark my words, the new DLC will last 2 weeks max, same as KZ2. Too expensive and splitting the already worryingly small userbase in two is not the best idea, what a great decision Zipper, you guys are definitely the best, noobs.

QFT
Horibell move, this will split the community and in a game, where you need a lot of people to play it, this could be a fatality move. Lets take a look to Valve. Hmm new maps, modes, weapons and extras for free? Even years after the launch. Even while the game just cost so much like this DLC?

Click

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
All right, so with the upcoming Clan Wars, what faction are we gonna consolidate in and rip apart our competition?

I thought we already went through this.
Unless you want ANOTHER poll... :lol

The consolidation didn't work anyway, because those that switched over to SVER didn't really play anymore. Those that didn't switch because they hate SVER / like their own faction either decided to join another clan other GAF or don't play anymore.

Click said:

It didn't work anyway, because those that switched over to SVER didn't really play anymore.
And those that didn't switch because they hate SVER / like their own faction either decided to join another clan other GAF or don't play anymore.

I know that SVER was chosen, but is the clan actually active? And, it seems there's a few of us playing Valor/Raven and I'd be glad to respec to SVER if we're gonna play clan matches.

EDIT: Saw your edit, all is explained. :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Click said:

The consolidation didn't work anyway, because those that switched over to SVER didn't really play anymore. Those that didn't switch because they hate SVER / like their own faction either decided to join another clan other GAF or don't play anymore.

Or you can come to Raven because we are the best faction in terms of.... damnit I just really love my Raven goodness!

Click

Banned
Good games tonight, Telemachus and Supersharp...

jqmdd0.png

Lost that game but we were down a few people.
Our squad only had 5 players in it.

Assault rifles are great, just like they were before the patch.
SMGs seem better now too. Looks like they did increase the close range damage a bit.
Haven't tried LMGs yet. They're probably nerfed because most Valor players were still using the Mk 46 Mod 1 but are now dying more often. Could be that they just suck though.

Had a few really good games tonight... this being one of the best tonight (Sabotage defense w/ Assault Rifle):

bebzmb.png

Well.. I played a couple of games and thought the patch was pretty good.
The only thing I found odd was me earning the silver trophy and medal for the new dlc.

Lince

Banned
tonkatsu_ramen said:
Well.. I played a couple of games and thought the patch was pretty good.
The only thing I found odd was me earning the silver trophy and medal for the new dlc.

yep playing with Telémaco yesterday I earned a ribbon for the new DLC... quality programming.

in case it wasn't mentioned yet, the price of the addon for the PAL version will be £6.29 (=$9.16) / 7.99€ (=$9.62).

So at least this is quite fair (as you are bound to buy the region-locked DLC of the corresponding version).

Damaged

SolidusDave said:
in case it wasn't mentioned yet, the price of the addon for the PAL version will be £6.29 (=$9.16) / 7.99€ (=$9.62).

So at least this is quite fair (as you are bound to buy the region-locked DLC of the corresponding version).

Thats pretty good news, only just got the game so didnt want to pay too much for DLC just yet. £6.29 isnt too bad I guess but it does seem a pretty random number?

Damaged said:
Thats pretty good news, only just got the game so didnt want to pay too much for DLC just yet. £6.29 isnt too bad I guess but it does seem a pretty random number?

yeah, It's a bit strange. But anyway, it's a bit less than $10 (and that's with VAT).

btw. in contrast to the free DLC this one is a standard PSN download, so you can access it with all accounts on your PS3
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/08/mag-interdiction-dlc-on-june-22/#comment-78374
(which also means it should be shareable in case you have some MAG-owning friends who abandoned MAG but would come back for some addon matches with you)

Click

Banned
lsslave said:
Or you can come to Raven because we are the best faction in terms of.... damnit I just really love my Raven goodness!

Or you can stop being stubborn and switch to SVER. :D
Don't knock it until you've tried it!

weekend_warrior said:
I really hope they do a double XP weekend soon. I can't stand playing with Raven.

Raven and Valor were only bearable when I played with GAF.

I'm guesstimating, but I would say that 70% of Raven and Valor players don't use teamwork.
A lot of them also don't use their mics. You can make fun of SVER being "easy mode," but the fact is, the majority of SVER players use mics and teamwork... thus, making the faction more fun to play as.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well, I have some games under my belt in Sabotage mode. Due to several existing friends being in Raven, I joined up with R for my first PMC. I'd be willing to hang out in the GAF Raven clan, if it's active.

fixuis

Valor power baby! :D holding up great in sabo AND domination. 4 wins in a row in dom. Back to back against raven and then Sver.

I'm starting to love this game again. :D

v1.06 was huge for me. Most of the minor flaws that extremely irritated me have been fully resolved. Needs a little bit more tweaks here and there, but it's awesome. :D

If only the game launched in a state like it is today...

Oh, well, can't wait for new patches and additions. That "FUTURE CONTENT" article sounds awesome.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
All this, plus my new router, so far (knock on wood), is holding strong. I might not have to direct connect the console to the modem anymore! I went on hiatus (quit) because I was tired of having to do that, just to play.

Though, I'm on Raven, and I'm the only one of GAF on right now.

minimoke

darkwing said:
is there a big jump in damage for the AG94 to the AK103 battle rifle?

Yes, the AK103 definitely does a heap more damage. The downside is the major drop in stability, you can only really fire 2-3 rounds bursts with any great accuracy.

Anton668

oh god, dont let Click listen to the zipcast!

we'll never hear the end of it!

;)

Edit: moot point seeing as how he's banned... again....

lsslave

Jew Gamer
#1 How did Click get banned?

#2 anyone on Raven side I should be on tonight after a long gap from being able to play :) (by which I mean I'll be on in about 10 minutes after a cig)

#3 What happened in Zipcast?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Urgh... this might just be the end of MAG for me. I've had some good times but I've never seen things THIS ridiculous in the game.

SVER has gone from being overpowered to walking through people, literally... non-snipers 1 hit killing paratroopers? If someone can explain (Zipper guys?) if not, well... I think thats the end for me.

(As for people who say "well go SVER" , SVER is going to end up so overpowered its going to ruin the game. Plain and simple. They already are, in terms of maps (Domination F-Yourself!) and somehow firepower (in a shot-for-shot match I will never be able to beat them)

The more people who race to SVER the sooner MAG dies forever. At this point though, I just don't care, kinda done with it anyhow unless Raven picks up.)

patsu

I have been playing after the latest patch. Didn't really see much difference except for the ability to carry more gadgets, and the gun ports on APC.

Is SVER really that overpowered ?

I could kill one like before (and vice versa).

lsslave

Jew Gamer
patsu said:
I have been playing after the latest patch. Didn't really see much difference except for the ability to carry more gadgets, and the gun ports on APC.

Is SVER really that overpowered ?

I could kill one like before (and vice versa).

I don't know that SVER is overpowered, its a debate I've had with a few of my MAG buddies.

It seems like Raven is underpowered, if anything. For example, we are supposed to be the "accurate but weak firepower" team

Yet Valor's sniper rifles kick the shit out of ours.

In terms of maps, well Aquisition has the best map balance I've seen in the game. The fact Raven can dominate 2 contracts regularly in Aq shows what CAN be done in the game with a good raven squad.

Sabotage... well Raven's map is by far the hardest to defend but we defend it really well (It is a LOT, a LOT faster for Valor to get to their objective C from a spawn point. On Raven if C gets armed and you have to spawn it is nearly impossible to get up there to disarm it)

Domination is a joke...

But I think its because more people are using Assault Rifles instead of LMGs (its funny how quickly the gun that killed me changed with the patch :lol )

That has always been the hardcore Raven players bitch-fest. We have some explicit weaknesses.

In comparison though, I have never, and I mean ever, been 1 hit killed as a paratrooper by someone using something other than a sniper rifle before. I can outrun a sniper rifle while spawning, not an LMG. (It also helps Raven just lost a bunch more players when they announced a new mode and not the map balance, pretty much the last of my favorites in my group have left... some quit the game before and now the rest just ditched Raven....)

I don't mean to come across as bitching, I absolutely love MAG and what it is meant to do. The fact is though, I won't go to SVER and cause it to get overpowered, and if the only other option is Valor we are going to end up with 1 completely weakened PMC. By neglecting to fix the problems (in the real world guns can have different balances, giving Raven a shotgun with 5 shots though? That was a dick move plain and simple) they killed Raven. My friends are all either on SVER now (which I wont go to) or else quit the game (aside from a small group that doesn't play much)

I'm just gonna go back to single player gaming until The Agency drops, hopefully it can go right where this title went very VERY wrong... (sorry to the guy working for Zipper, its really not you guys, its the fact that the neglect for so long has taken away my group of friends which is the only thing that really keeps a game going.

I hate to say it but... 3 factions doesn't work. Next time stick with 2, its about the only chance you have of making the game work)

Edit: Actually, before the expansions World of Warcraft (eg: back when I actually played it) showed not even 2 factions work. It seems that people all flock to one side, everyone likes to have it one way and no one likes taking something weaker in general...

Its retarded, you'd think that people who are actually talented would love to overcome adversity and not go into something overplayed >.<

Edit 2: I should also clarify, I've said many times I have a love-hate relationship with MAG. Deep down I love the game and what it tries to do, the game splitting my group up between 3 factions between the Raven Loyalists / the "SVER IS EASIER!" switchers / the "Raven is fucked for maps but I hate SVER so I am going Valor"

It really hurts a multiplayer centric game to have one faction unable to stand its own...

Top Bottom