• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Varth said:
Looks like I'll be reporting for duty, then. Any double XP weekend in sight?

Great move, really. I remember wishing they'd do something like that, but I would have never guessed would have listened.
You get double XP if you queue up for a game using the Directives option. As of right now they're just going to leave it that way.

XPE

Mikey Jr. said:
Dont have MAG but am considering picking it up.

So is this news good or bad?

Bad if you play as valour, raven is already really hard to beat in domination and especially acquisition now i have to get slaughtered by them on that stupid SVER defence map.

Heh Zipper, just forget get about the pretence and remove valour you clearly don’t want them in the game.

fixuis

You gotta love the proximity chat feature in this game. "Your a dick, you're a dick, your a dick, no I'm still no dead you fucker," after pistol headshot to finish him off, "fuck you" :lol

Loudninja

MAG v1.07 Available Early August
•A new “Happy Hour” Double XP bonus that’s applied to the first hour of any player’s gameplay session in a 24-hour period.

•Suppression will join Sabotage as a “Faction Neutral” gameplay mode, allowing any PMC to battle each other on any Suppression map.

•Faster download and patching code that allows us to update MAG with more content and bigger file sizes in a speedier way.

•Redesigned versions of the Flores Basin (Raven) and Alyeska Terminus (Valor) Domination maps that include new obstacles and repaired exploits.

•New lighting effects for more attractive and realistic environments.

•Various fixes to address bugs or glitches to improve MAG’s overall performance.

Of course, there are a number of other additions and fixes coming with MAG v1.07, but the points listed above should whet your appetites while you wait for the full list of changes closer to the update.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22576821#post22576821

Das-J

Law of the West
I think you all should really enjoy this next patch. If you have any feedback after it goes live please post it here!

X-Frame

I'm loving the continuous support and drive to update and improve the game. Been in MAG since well .. a year from now since the Beta. Still playing it. No other experience like it on any console at all.

I'm curious as to the map changes for Raven and Valor.

legbone

holy shit. i am definitely jumping back in now. glad i have been playing psn titles for months and never took the disc out of my ps3.

I have tried to walk away from this game 3 times but I always come back to it.
Zipper really have created something unique when it all comes together its one of the best online fps games ever. I can't imagine with the knowledge they got from making MAG what their next non-socom game will be like.

Sorc3r3r

BruceLeeRoy said:
I have tried to walk away from this game 3 times but I always come back to it.
Zipper really have created something unique when it all comes together its one of the best online fps games ever. I can't imagine with the knowledge they got from making MAG what their next non-socom game will be like.

Yeah, it's really a good game ,the only problem for me at least it's playing the same maps over and over again.
A problem that i've not experimented with Warhawk at all, so i think something is missing in the Zipper's game.
Maybe it's the whole perk system that i do not like.
To me instead of adding variety, the perks, are doing the exact opposite.
You can't be responsive to the situations in the battleground(u have to respwan to choose another weapon set), so the great part of the players choose a sort of compromise to play.
Compromise that's very similar for each faction.
This kills the variety to me.
I, btw, can understand the Zipper's policy in this game, the whole game it's tought for a strong squad interaction, for a real cooperation between the players and they have translated this in the game pretty well.
Now in the end the problem with the game are the players themselves, there is too little cooperation, too little comunication, too little support.
Some of this " player's too littles" are Sony faults, the no-standar mic, other of Zipper's, the bare-bone tutorial and a not-good-enough UI, for a game of this scope.

Bottom line.
A game of this scope and philosophy it's not supported and played as it should be in this time frame.
What we have it's an enjoyable experience that lacks in some parts due to its very limits.

Wow a lot of text, sorry for my english :p.

Click

Banned
Wow, been a long time since I visited / posted in this thread and on GAF...

I've been playing this game a lot recently. Me, Telemachus, Prez, and icechai joined up with one of the best SVER clans (SVER GAF was dead) and we've been tearing it up everyday in MAG. If anyone wants to tryout (you need to be able to kill really well and be able to use good teamwork/communication), let us know. We'll try our best to get people in if you're really good at MAG.

Das-J said:
I think you all should really enjoy this next patch. If you have any feedback after it goes live please post it here!

Thanks again for giving me and GAF a shoutout in your Zipline interview, Das / Ben. I've said it on the official forums, but I'll say it again here. Really cool to listen to your opinion and ideas about the game. Hope to listen to you again, just like they interviewed Scott Rudi (Sr. Designer of MAG Live) again last week.

I hope we'll like patch 1.07 too. It's about time you guys fixed Domination, lol. Just don't forget to change the damage bar rate back to what it used to be. Maybe if Dom. is finally fixed, people will keep coming back to MAG. Because if I remember correctly, most of GAF and a lot of other players stopped playing the game due to map imbalances (or a perception of it).

Keep up the good work. Can't wait for Clan Wars (please tell me you guys are going to implement it VERY soon - no later than 1.08).

I think MAG has ruined multiplayer FPS for me. I find myself unsatisfied with the lack of targets on all the other games. Only killing 8 enemies to finish a round is kinda disappointing when you've owned 80+ on a dom map this game.

Lince

Banned
Sorc3r3r said:
Now in the end the problem with the game are the players themselves, there is too little cooperation, too little comunication, too little support.
Some of this " player's too littles" are Sony faults, the no-standar mic, other of Zipper's, the bare-bone tutorial and a not-good-enough UI, for a game of this scope.

the problem is the language barrier, shutting down the EU server didn't help much, playing with 2 Japanese and 3 Americans when you can't speak English...

Click

Banned
Sorc3r3r said:

This game isn't nearly as fun playing with a bunch of randoms (or in MAG speak, "blue dots"). You don't need a clan or a bunch of friends to have fun playing MAG. But if you do have a good clan to play with (you gotta be good at the game too), it is an extremely fun game that seems to never get old (at least for me).

Like I said above, if you're good at this game (1.5+ K/D, good teamwork and communication) and want to play with one of the best clans in MAG, let me know. We'll try you out and then you'll see for yourself the true potential of MAG...

Lince said:
the problem is the language barrier, shutting down the EU server didn't help much, playing with 2 Japanese and 3 Americans when you can't speak English...

You can speak English. Just difficult to understand half the time. :lol

You should really play MAG again, Lince. Join up with us and you'll have a good time again, I promise. We're having as much fun right now, if not more, than when we first started the game with a full GAF roster. This clan we joined is really, really good. Imagine having a clan full of players my skill level or above, lol.

Click

Banned
Lonestar said:
I need to jump back in some. Even more improvements on that patch.

Those aren't even the entire patch notes for 1.07.
It's supposed to be a really big patch. So is the one after 1.07.

fixuis

Godamnit. Das-j, will you get someone over the to please fix these hangup problems in the game. 2 hangs in the last 20 mins. Ridiculous.

Click

Banned
fixuis said:
Godamnit. Das-j, will you get someone over the to please fix these hangup problems in the game. 2 hangs in the last 20 mins. Ridiculous.

Yeah, PS3 hard freeze is now an issue MAG is causing.

I rarely hard freeze but they do happen. You can't look at your CNI screen for too long or you'll completely lock up your system. I'm actually scared to stay on the CNI now, lol.

I heard this game was a lot like Planet Side. I played the breaks off of that game. If anyone has played both, how similar is it to MAG?

Are there vehicles in MAG or anything like that? That was probably my favorite part of Planet Side. Piloting a drop ship and offloading an entire squad on top of an enemy base or using a gunship along side a squadron of other pilots and laying down cover fire... good times.

Russian Steve said:
I heard this game was a lot like Planet Side. I played the breaks off of that game. If anyone has played both, how similar is it to MAG?

Haven't played PS, so I can't comment on this.

Russian Steve said:
Are there vehicles in MAG or anything like that? That was probably my favorite part of Planet Side. Piloting a drop ship and offloading an entire squad on top of an enemy base or using a gunship along side a squadron of other pilots and laying down cover fire... good times.

Some squads in every mode except Sabotage/Suppression get an APC they can use for troop deployment. Basically, it has a driver, a gunner and several extra members that use the implemented gunports with LMGs. When somebody from the squad wants to deploy, they can use the APC as a spawning point. The DLC content that was added recently adds another mode that is highly focused on APC combat, as there are much more APCs than in other modes.

There are also some Humvees and Russian light vechicles that can be used for transport and extra firepower where needed. There are choppers as well, but they are static and can be only used as spawn points and fire bases, as they have 2 cannons installed.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Russian Steve said:

It's simliar mainly on the amount of participants. MAG doesn't have the amount of vehicles, jetpacks, etc. that Planetside has. Planetside's maps were MMO Huge, MAG's are FPS Huge.

Lonestar

Not Sure. Everytime I pop in, there 0 people online in the, what I assume is old, GAF Raven clan.

Click

Banned
gamerecks said:
Which GAF clans are active? Is the game community still large? Im thinking of picking this up. I played alot of the beta but never the retail game.

Lonestar said:
Not Sure. Everytime I pop in, there 0 people online in the, what I assume is old, GAF Raven clan.

I don't think any GAF clan is active. Most of the active players decided to go to SVER when we voted to do so almost 3 months ago. But then most of those players quit the game after they moved over, lol.

The remaining active GAF'fers that is still playing are me, Telemachus, The Prez, and icechai. Haven't seen ice online in about 3 days but the rest of us are still playing daily.

Like I said before, we left SVER GAF because it was dead and now we're in one of the game's top clans and it's been really fun playing with so many really good players everyday. Again, if anyone's interested in joining, have a 1.5 K/D or higher, utilizes good teamwork and communication, let me know. We'll try to get you into the clan and you'll see firsthand how MAG should be played.

As for the community... it's obviously not as large as it used to be, but you can still find games rather easily and fast. The game was dying but it's rebounded because Zipper seems to finally be supporting the game again and will continue to do so for at least the next 6+ months.

Lonestar said:
It's simliar mainly on the amount of participants. MAG doesn't have the amount of vehicles, jetpacks, etc. that Planetside has. Planetside's maps were MMO Huge, MAG's are FPS Huge.

So are there jets, planes, or helios you can personally pilot on the battlefield or anything like that?

Lonestar

Russian Steve said:
So are there jets, planes, or helios you can personally pilot on the battlefield or anything like that?

Once a portion of the map is open (for attackers) you can chose your spawn as "Parachute in" But it's just a standard spawn point.

You also can chose to spawn in Helicopters (if they are available), and you can chose to get out of the heli, or (if they aren't occupied) take over 1 of 2 side turrets.

That's pretty much it, for aerial combat.

elohel

which faction are the few regulars under?

I'm raven haven't played for a while but would like to jump in more

how I join good game? lol

GothPunk

elohel said:
which faction are the few regulars under?

I'm raven haven't played for a while but would like to jump in more

how I join good game? lol
I'm the very same, hit me a message if you want to party up. Didn't know you had MAG lol.

Das-J

Law of the West
TelemachusD said:
Is 1.08 going up with the PSN store tonight?

Also, come play with us at SVER.

Have to get 1.07 out first! :D

I just Veteran'd to SVER so I'm totally down - PSN: Bagelbeard

Kak.efes

I played yesterday for the first time in a couple of months. Sver-GAF is completely barren of all life. If you guys moved onto another clan, hook me up.

Das-J said:
Have to get 1.07 out first! :D

I just Veteran'd to SVER so I'm totally down - PSN: Bagelbeard

For some reason I was thinking we were already on 1.07.
I might send you a group invite later tonight (if you're on).

I played yesterday for the first time in a couple of months. Sver-GAF is completely barren of all life. If you guys moved onto another clan, hook me up.

The few of us left playing joined the R*S clan; they're really good. I feel like I'm decent at MAG, but some of those dudes are on another level. You have to try out to get in though. You're bKak, right? I'm sure you'd make it. If you're on tonight I'll send you a friend invite.

Varth

So if I understand correctly, joining a fight trough the directives tab gets you always double xp, right?

I tought it was for the first hour of any match only, did I dream it?

Varth said:
So if I understand correctly, joining a fight trough the directives tab gets you always double xp, right?

I tought it was for the first hour of any match only, did I dream it?

Yeah, this will last until 1.07. When 1.07 hits, you'll get double XP during the first hour of your play during a day.

Das-J said:
Some big news coming later today - Stay Tuned! :D

Still waiting. ;_;

oneHeero

Click said:
This game isn't nearly as fun playing with a bunch of randoms (or in MAG speak, "blue dots"). You don't need a clan or a bunch of friends to have fun playing MAG. But if you do have a good clan to play with (you gotta be good at the game too), it is an extremely fun game that seems to never get old (at least for me).

Like I said above, if you're good at this game (1.5+ K/D, good teamwork and communication) and want to play with one of the best clans in MAG, let me know. We'll try you out and then you'll see for yourself the true potential of MAG...

You can speak English. Just difficult to understand half the time. :lol

You should really play MAG again, Lince. Join up with us and you'll have a good time again, I promise. We're having as much fun right now, if not more, than when we first started the game with a full GAF roster. This clan we joined is really, really good. Imagine having a clan full of players my skill level or above, lol.

Does the clan just steamroll in games? I got bored of doing that when we played as SVER. Or do they set up clan matches etc? I get bored once a game I feel like I have a grasp on it or if I'm not competing. I get bored playing in just random games unless with a group of ppl often. Gaf had slowly stopped for a while so I tried other games(new) and no clan matches or anything so I cameback here and there and it was really fun. But lack of competitive games or enough ppl to play with did it for me.

If this clan setsup matches or actually gets grouped against good ppl often, than I wouldnt mind rebuying the game. I always enjoyed it.

Palmer_v1

oneHeero said:
Does the clan just steamroll in games? I got bored of doing that when we played as SVER. Or do they set up clan matches etc? I get bored once a game I feel like I have a grasp on it or if I'm not competing. I get bored playing in just random games unless with a group of ppl often. Gaf had slowly stopped for a while so I tried other games(new) and no clan matches or anything so I cameback here and there and it was really fun. But lack of competitive games or enough ppl to play with did it for me.

If this clan setsup matches or actually gets grouped against good ppl often, than I wouldnt mind rebuying the game. I always enjoyed it.

I haven't played in a while, but it was basically impossible to do clan matches in this game before, as you couldn't set up a match yourself, and couldn't prevent others from joining one either.

Essentially, it's a matter of luck if you get pitted against a good clan.

Das-J

Law of the West
Sorry - Things changed at the last minute, but it should be coming "soon" :(

Lagspike_exe said:
Yeah, this will last until 1.07. When 1.07 hits, you'll get double XP during the first hour of your play during a day.

Actually, the plan is for those elements to stack. So if you're playing during Happy Hour and you chose the Directives queue you'll be earning 4x XP for that first hour! :D

Top Bottom