• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

GodofWine

templeusox said:
country/channel

It was HD Theater (Direct TV), during a show talking about the best rally cars of all time, USA.

Probably costs about 10 bucks to get an ad on that channel, but still, its probably a good target market show.

J-Rzez said:
I totally agree. This game just won't get the respect it deserves because the reviewers are just ultra-casuals who won't put the time into the game it needs. They also won't like the depth and the lack of instant gratification. They'll run with message board non-sense of people not playing together, lack of headsets, no one rez'n (as previously shown, but we all know that's solid bullshit as people will run from the other side of the map for the pts), that they get killed by snipers "camping" (not defending) the objectives, and that they won't get that many kills due to the lack of over-done auto aim.

"This game may appeal to the hardcore, as it'll need lots of time to level up. It takes 10 minutes to run to an objective as the maps are too large. If you have 100 friends to play with the game may work, but be honest, who has that many friends! It's confusing you don't know what to do, even with the directives set before the mission and the squad leader frago'n objectives, and the big markings on the screen and map." Something along the lines of that. They'll also disregard certain factors like "omg running maps so big!" with other reviews too, like BC2 will some how be immune to.

I predict since this is so far off from the way MW2 plays, I'd expect 7's due to the lack of knowledge and skill these reviewers have shown in the past. They'll also gripe about the lack of a SP campaign, disregarding the merits of the game having the most depth of any shooter launched this gen on consoles, and that it rivals the best PC shooters in said depth and gameplay. This game deserves a 9 from what i've played of it. Not a bit lower.

It's a shame too, because this is the best shooter to hit a console, and we need more like this to break away from the mold of the same old shit every time. Then again, they "may" treat it like SOCOM, where they don't understand those things, but understand how it can appeal to gamers that do like it and score it properly. Guess we'll see.

Awesome post and even better avatar. :p

Cagen

Lagspike_exe said:
Awesome post and even better avatar. :p

I agree.

It's been too long since I played and I am dying to jump back in. I am hoping to snag a copy early and get it on Monday so I can play on the 26th (and I have Tuesday/Wednesday off work!), its going to suck if I have to wait until Friday.

Kowak

Banned
Cagen said:
I agree.

It's been too long since I played and I am dying to jump back in. I am hoping to snag a copy early and get it on Monday so I can play on the 26th (and I have Tuesday/Wednesday off work!), its going to suck if I have to wait until Friday.

i just hope they allow the uk to play on the 26th, i dont think i can take all this extra waiting.

TheFallen said:
I see your problem. How many hours did you even put in on that one day?

Well, asking people to give a shooter several hours to hook them is a bit cheeky in this day and age. Nothing wrong with it, really, but you can't really blame people for not giving it ten dedicated and focused hours before judging it. Critics, maybe, but that's going to be a real hurdle for mass market adoption. Whoever isn't weeded out at the queue step will be in for another trial, and I doubt many will remain after that.

Cagen said:
I agree.

You think you're in bad position? :lol

If I don't find a copy with the local black market importers, I'm gonna have to wait until like 5th of February or something for my copy to arrive from shopto, since there is no way I'm gonna pay a 70€ for a copy from the official importers. FML.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, asking people to give a shooter several hours to hook them is a bit cheeky in this day and age. Nothing wrong with it, really, but you can't really blame people for not giving it ten dedicated and focused hours before judging it. Critics, maybe, but that's going to be a real hurdle for mass market adoption. Whoever isn't weeded out at the queue step will be in for another trial, and I doubt many will remain after that.
Couldn't agree more. This is a game that requires and rewards heavy investment, unlike just about every other shooter on the consoles. That's a great thing if you're looking for that level of depth, and a horrible thing if you rely upon mass market appeal and great first impressions.

CozMick

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

And this also worries me about the size of the community, sure 100,000 people could be playing on the first day but what about the next, and the next etc....?

Being 128 vs 128, It isn't just a case of popping online for a quick game.

We'll soon see.

Kyoufu

Going to hunt down the CE on Friday. Can't wait to play this, although I have no idea what kind of role I am going to play.

Kowak

Banned
Lagspike_exe said:
You think you're in bad position? :lol

If I don't find a copy with the local black market importers, I'm gonna have to wait until like 5th of February or something for my copy to arrive from shopto, since there is no way I'm gonna pay a 70€ for a copy from the official importers. FML.

you go with the collectors edition???

Click

Banned
You guys do realize that even with only 5,000-10,000 players (what SOCOM Confrontation had months after release), all game modes will be easily playable, right? With queues not lasting too long either. During the IGN tourny, we had less than 100 players on late at night and Sabotage queue still worked. Sure, when it dropped down to 60 or so, it took 5-10 minutes to find a game.

The matchmaking / queue system in MAG is very well done.

Kowak

Banned
CozMick said:
And this also worries me about the size of the community, sure 100,000 people could be playing on the first day but what about the next, and the next etc....?

We'll soon see.

the beta numbers were good, would like to see where it ranks with other ps3 exclusive betas, and preorders in the uk seem to be high on most charts i see. I dont see this having a problem for two-three months, after that i think will be the test of how much legs it has got.

Kowak said:
you go with the collectors edition???

Not sure, yet... Although, it's like 6-7 euros in price difference and that boxart, if nothing else, looks very sweet.

Also, I was thinking about how Zipper said that MAG was "too massive" for PSN.

How big was the install data? Like 2-2.5GB? And how many maps did we get to play during the beta process, like 9? I believe we played all 3 Sabotage maps, all 3 Aquisition maps and all 3 Domination maps (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, that leaves a total of 6 maps - 3 supression and 3 training.

So, what exactly is too massive here? Are they gonna pack the game with additional content, like videos (e.g. making of, how to play a certain mode, leadership abilities), music etc. or something?

Kowak

Banned
Inanna said:
Official Sony PS3 Bluetooth Headset for only £17.99? That doesn't sound right.

yeah it been that much fior ages, think the same price at HMV. i would have got mine online if it wasnt for the fact i wanted it for straight away action with raven gaf at the cost of £24.99.

edit:i love that the headset is #1 on the ps3 best seller and MAG has moved off the preorder chart and is #2. Looks like a lot of UK gamers are just getting them both like that so doubt there will be a bundle until a few months down the road, if ever.

Cagen

Does anyone have images of the skill trees or knows of a website with them, even just listed with the amount of points each skill can take? A quick Google search turned up naught.

TheFallen

Click said:
You guys do realize that even with only 5,000-10,000 players (what SOCOM Confrontation had months after release), all game modes will be easily playable, right? With queues not lasting too long either. During the IGN tourny, we had less than 100 players on late at night and Sabotage queue still worked. Sure, when it dropped down to 60 or so, it took 5-10 minutes to find a game.

The matchmaking / queue system in MAG is very well done.
Definitely. There was an average of 125 players per PMC at all times during the tournament and the queue was fairly decent.

Violater

CozMick said:

We'll soon see.

This could be said about ANY online game
whose name isn't MW

Click

Banned
Cagen said:
Does anyone have images of the skill trees or knows of a website with them, even just listed with the amount of points each skill can take? A quick Google search turned up naught.

Some dude on the official forums made a spreadsheet of the skill tree.

The fonts are small and it's the S.V.E.R. tree.
Not sure how accurate it is, but here it is...

magskilltree.png

J-Rzez

Click said:
Some dude on the official forums made a spreadsheet of the skill tree.

The fonts are small and it's the S.V.E.R. tree.
Not sure how accurate it is, but here it is...

magskilltree.png

Going in OP. Couldn't find a good one! Nice find!

Violater

I swear I wish I could bitch slap every person that whines about camping in MAG yet gives MW2 a pass.
fuck_you.jpg
SO called game journalists

Arnie

I'm definitely going SVER now, they have such cool assault rifles. I have no lust for M4s or Scars, but plenty of lust for taped up AK's. Also, bring on the SMG's, I never got to try them in the Beta. Ugh, this week is going to go so slow, and I have a shitload of work to get done.

Arnie said:
I'm definitely going SVER now, they have such cool assault rifles. I have no lust for M4s or Scars, but plenty of lust for taped up AK's. Also, bring on the SMG's, I never got to try them in the Beta. Ugh, this week is going to go so slow, and I have a shitload of work to get done.

ANOTHER BELIEVER!

Click said:
Either 3 or 5.

Hmmm. I believe that when I played the game back in phase 3 (IIRC), when the max level was 30, nothing cost more than 3 points... Then, I guess, thing would be a little tricky to balance things out if you had 60 skills points with that price point... You could probably max out most of the trees. :lol

Click

Banned
Arnie said:

The S.V.E.R. SMG is the best because it has 64-round clips, but SMGs in general aren't nearly as godly as the overpowered LMG. SMGs are weaker and they run out of ammo faster because you get slightly less than 200 rounds total.

Noshino

Damn, seriously, wth is up with IGN, because it isn't just Miller, but the other 3 also say crap about MAG. Im not even good with FPSs and I just freaking love the game.

Oh, and :lol @ snipers, the only map in which you can snipe from the horizon is Raven's Sab, and even then, it is really easy to spot where they are, and snipers camping? yah right, just try to camp with a sniper, the enemies usually don't take long to go look for the snipers.

Anyway, wasn't able to play much last night, but the night before was awesome, not only because of the stuff that one of the players kept saying, but also because Bamelin was drunk, was playing til 2am, and had to pick up his wife from the airport at 4 :lol

Arnie said:

Well, I got sick (cold), and since my boss doesn't want to get sick, she brought someone to cover me for the week, Im just going for a few hrs on monday to take care of some things, but I ll be available on tuesday :)

neroli

Neo Member
I'm getting the game on wednesday, so i'm looking forward to play SVER with you guys.

btw good reply to IGN, Long live to MAG ! :lol

Examiner MAG preview:
MAG offers one of the more realistic experiences of large-scale battle on the market, not that we’ve, uhhh, been a part of shootouts or anything. Sure, the accuracy of heavy machine guns is in question here and no-scoping is a no-go, but the overall ebb and flow of MAG should leave anyone who touches it wanting more. Despite all of the positive game play review, the most astounding aspect surely goes to the connection quality. Pulling off this type of gaming environment on a PC would be jaw-dropping, successfully doing so on a console should render gamers speechless. Hopefully not for long though, because there’s a sniper to the left and two infantry advancing up the middle… and someone is going to have to let Raven Squad know.

http://www.examiner.com/x-36152-Austin-Video-Game-Industry-Examiner~y2010m1d23-MAG-Preview-for-the-PS3?cid=channel-rss-Games_and_Hobbies

Excellent preview. Thank God there are people who still look just a little under the surface.

EDIT:

This is not a typical shooter where you can name your avatar John Rambo and run off into enemy territory throwing flashbangs and taking down four opponents at once while screaming obscenities into your mic.

:lol :lol

Trevelyan

Banned
templeusox said:
I've heard of burying a lede , but I've never heard of completely mutilating one. This is from the Examiner MAG preview:I read this first sentence and I think to myself, "Looks like another negative preview." But the rest of the preview is completely positive. Here is the conclusion:
I'm left thinking that the writer confused the phrase "left little to be desired" with "left no doubts" or something to that effect. Funny though.

http://www.examiner.com/x-36152-Austin-Video-Game-Industry-Examiner~y2010m1d23-MAG-Preview-for-the-PS3?cid=channel-rss-Games_and_Hobbies

No, he actually used the phrase correctly. Since there was little left to be desired, it means most of the game was quality to him. If there was a lot to be desired, the game left a sour taste in his mouth.

Trevelyan said:
No, he actually used the phrase correctly. Since there was little left to be desired, it means most of the game was quality to him. If there was a lot to be desired, the game left a sour taste in his mouth.
Yea, I guess you're right. I think I've always just heard the similar variation.

Cruzader

Banned
Guys if anyone is preordering MAG from Amazon and doesnt use Home/give a crap about it, could I please have the Home Space/apartment code? Please PM me if you are. Im a sucker for Home stuff but sadly my job aint going as smooth as it was so I cant buy games day1 :(

Besides the specific weapons, the skill tree should be the same for all three PMCs.

I think this time I will choose to sniper at a later point.

*creates assault character*
Level 1 = 1 skillpoint available (IIRC)
Level 2 -> buys Medical Kit
Level 4 -> buys reviving ability
lots of exp from this point on

Not sure yet what I will choose for assault, but I will respec once I hit level 20.
-> 2 (useless...) points in sniper tier 1, 2 (useless...) points in sniper tier 2, steady aim in sniper tier 3 and the AGVK sniper rifle (comes with own scope&bipod AFAIK).
As I want to charge in CQC/objectives/helping teammates anytime -> reviving Medical Kit again and then 2 (very useful) points in personal defence tier 1 to buy the SMG Kurtis as a sidearm.

My experience as a sniper in the beta phases should allow me to do this kind of extreme switch, I just think I will be more useful as a assault till level 20 as well as getting exp faster.

Till level 25 I will probably save points to buy the final sniper scope.

After that, I don't know yet. I guess spending points in buffing the characters stats (endurance etc.). Maybe also doing assault tier again to being able to switch to another class.
I can't remember if stuff like the Acoustic Detector needs to be equipped (my storming-sniper-medic class is full with medium armor) , I only remember not having to select it during gameplay as its always on.

I still don't know if I will buy the game at launch as w/o having any sp campaign I would like it to be cheaper, like Warhawk. Plus I know most of it from the betas...
On the other hand MAG has these dedicated server masses in contrast to other shooters *cough* ign, compare this to CoD instead of "camping" *cough* so I'm willing to support this. I just hope DLC maps will be free to not split the community.

Violater

EazyB said:
Is there a demo planned for the game post-launch?

None that I have heard of and I would think that would not happen given the Open beta which has long since passed.

ok no more drunk posting I promise

In terms of 'this shit ain't for casuals, son', apart from the fact I hate the "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS FOR 3 YEARS ELITISM" it's hinting towards (not saying that's actually happening here), I found it quite accessible as someone who hates online shooters.

For me, I can never get the practice/time to feel like it's worth playing online. You get on in the 4 v 4 or 8 v 8 with mechanics you're not entirely familiar with, you've got a lot of responsibility, and if you don't do well you get shouted at and you just generally don't feel like playing it again.

However, with 128 people on your team, to be blunt, that can give you room to be shit. And with the structuring of breaking it down in to platoons etc, there's the chance of guidance. Maybe you can focus more on healing your mates rather than shooting everything in sight, and you can feel like you're doing something without worrying that every element of the game is resting on your shoulders.

Uhhm, hopefully that's not too vague and also not embargo breaking detailed. Oh who cares, I've not had enough time for a proper review anyway.

Click

Banned
JonathanEx said:
In terms of 'this shit ain't for casuals, son', apart from the fact I hate the "YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS FOR 3 YEARS ELITISM" it's hinting towards (not saying that's actually happening here), I found it quite accessible as someone who hates online shooters.

For me, I can never get the practice/time to feel like it's worth playing online. You get on in the 4 v 4 or 8 v 8 with mechanics you're not entirely familiar with, you've got a lot of responsibility, and if you don't do well you get shouted at and you just generally don't feel like playing it again.

However, with 128 people on your team, to be blunt, that can give you room to be shit. And with the structuring of breaking it down in to platoons etc, there's the chance of guidance. Maybe you can focus more on healing your mates rather than shooting everything in sight, and you can feel like you're doing something without worrying that every element of the game is resting on your shoulders.

Uhhm, hopefully that's not too vague and also not embargo breaking detailed. Oh who cares, I've not had enough time for a proper review anyway.

I agree. MAG gives people a lot of freedom to play however each player wants, as long as it's helping the team in some way. Because this game isn't completely about K/D ratio (except in Suppression - but it doesn't count toward the Shadow War). People won't be as discouraged and frustrated with not performing spectacularly, as long as most people on their team are good and know what they're doing. Players have time to practice and get better, not just thrown into a pit and be asked to kill as many as possible while dying as little as possible.

That's the beauty of MAG. You can do what you want, however you want, and go where ever you want. You also don't have to be an amazing player to "do well." If you stick with your team, do your "job" well, and are able to assist in your team's objectives, you can still feel good about yourself even if you didn't get the highest amount of points and/or kills.

I just hope most players have enough patience to go through MAG's initial "training." If they play through the first 8-10 hours (for normal players, less for veteran FPS'ers), I believe most shooter fans (some not) will end up really liking this game. Then when they figure out the various tactics and intricacies, learn the maps, and play their role well, they will eventually get hooked to MAG.

I mean honestly, is 8-10 hours really asking that much out of players? Most people who buy games are excepted to put in at least that many hours anyway and they also expect a game to last at least that long. Why should be MAG be any different?

Click

Banned
templeusox said:

Makes me proud to live in Buffalo, lol. :lol

Great article except I don't agree with him that the grenade launcher is that important, nor is "no-scoping a no-go." In fact, no-scoping is exactly how you win close quarter encounters, especially against multiple enemies and/or against good side-strafers.

Does anyone actually use SMGs? Seems like everyone running around with rifles and scoped weapons just shooting each other at range, or people with machine guns running and gunning.

Click

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Does anyone actually use SMGs? Seems like everyone running around with rifles and scoped weapons just shooting each other at range, or people with machine guns running and gunning.

If/when Zipper nerfs the LMGs, I'm sure a lot more people will use SMGs.
But like I said previously, SMGs aren't very strong guns, they run out of bullets pretty fast, they're not very accurate, and their range isn't very far.

sk3tch

BattleMonkey said:

I tried it late last nice after my first re-spec...I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. Not nearly as good as the S.V.E.R. LMG and for only 200 points less. If it were 300 it may be worth it since then I could equip reg. grenades (versus smoke grenades) with my medic kit.

Top Bottom