• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kowak said:
your best getting the socom bundle from gamestation, that way you get it in time for friday and its the same price.
I thought Socom came with Jabra, instead of Sony official headset? Or was that Warhawk?

CozMick said:
The Socom bundle is £17.99 in Argos, doesn't say on the site or in the catalogue that the headset is included but to my surprise I bought it and was actually the bundle.

You should check it out.
Whoa, if it is official headset.

Kowak

Banned
thats a great deal on the socom bundle. if it is actually the bundle, the fact that it doesnt mention the headset would worry me, plus the bundle box looks more like the mag one then what they have pictured.

BradleyUK

Kowak said:
thats a great deal on the socom bundle. if it is actually the bundle, the fact that it doesnt mention the headset would worry me, plus the bundle box looks more like the mag one then what they have pictured.

Look at the reviews they said they got the bluetooth headset so don't worry. :)

CozMick

Banned
Inanna said:
You're the BEST junior ever! :D

I do my best :lol

Would you guys be buying it from in-store or online?

If you're going in-store then just ask to see it, they will happily show it to you.

I bought it without even knowing.......then traded in the game {I bought the psn version} and kept the headset. :p

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
In-store.

There are 3 argos shops near me. out of stock in 2, and only 3 left in one. Two of those are going to be mine! :D

Kowak

Banned
Inanna said:
In-store.

There are 3 argos shops near me. out of stock in 2, and only 3 left in one. Two of those are going to be mine! :D

what were you using before???

i really like the official one, i find it is nice and light and quite comfortable. when i was playing MAg for 4-5 hours i didnt even notice it. although, i have heard other people saying the exact opposite of me so i guess each ear is different.

bradley, i know they said it in the reviews but it just seems strange to me, otherwise it is just a terrible product description. they should be talking it up more. plus argos dont actually stock the official headset by itself.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
CozMick said:
Get them reserved matey, get them RESERVED :lol
Hmmmm, maybe I should. Don't want to take the chance, I'll only be able to do it tomorrow evening though. Oh well, don't think it would go out of stock till then, hopefully. :p I'll have to pre-order for both my bf and I, so I can ACTUALLY talk.

Kowak said:
what were you using before???

i really like the official one, i find it is nice and light and quite comfortable. when i was playing MAg for 4-5 hours i didnt even notice it. although, i have heard other people saying the exact opposite of me so i guess each ear is different.
Mine sucks donkey's ass! It's uncomfortable as hell, (logitech one, forgot what it's called), hurts my ears like no other (I have small ears and the stupid headset thing is gigantic. Plus it has no mute button, and it's USB. I have tons of people talking to me while I play, and I want to be able to mute myself on the go, instead of taking it off/pushing the mic away from my mouth.

Btw Kowak, you should create the clan. Dan was going to do it originally but since you've already got the game, and he and I are going to get it on 29th which means you'll get to level 5 first so you should do it instead.

Kowak

Banned
Inanna said:
Btw Kowak, you should create the clan. Dan was going to do it originally but since you've already got the game, and he and I are going to get it on 29th which means you'll get to level 5 first so you should do it instead.

i will try to,i have tuesday off work so will spent a lot of time on it(if i can from the uk)

have they said what exact time the servers will come online in the US???

Might not be seeing many reviews tomorrow:

i bet the reviews will be last minute because there scared MAG will be an epic fail like socom confrontation

Jeff Rubenstein replied on January 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Well, I’ll go ahead and disagree with you there.

Reviews can’t be written until the game is actually out. I mean, you can’t pass pre-release judgment on a game whose major, industry-leading feature (256 players in a single battle) can’t be tested until release day.

Click

Banned
templeusox said:
Might not be seeing many reviews tomorrow:

Probably not, which is a good thing.
I've stated previously that you can't review a game like MAG (nor most online portion of FPS games) before the game comes out. It's an online-only game and is also a game you need to play for a while (preferably 20 or more hours) before you can truly review it.

Hopefully, the reviewers are knowledgeable about online shooters, can remain open-minded, and learn the depth-filled game mechanics.

Click said:
Probably not, which is a good thing.
I've stated previously that you can't review a game like MAG (nor most online portion of FPS games) before the game comes out. It's an online-only game and is also a game you need to play for a while (preferably 20 or more hours) before you can truly review it.

Hopefully, the reviewers are knowledgeable about online shooters, can remain open-minded, and learn the depth-filled game mechanics.
Not gonna happen... (for the most part)

Which is sad because if you sit down and spend some actual time with it, you can see some great things.

I got my review copy a few days ago (european version), and the servers aren't letting anyone in it seems. The game doesn't even have a fucking menu screen until some time tomorrow :lol

So no, don't expect any reviews tomorrow.

I just saw a 2-minute advertisement for Mass Effect 2 during the NFC Championship. Nothing from MAG at all, all day. Show some guts for once, SCEA.

Click

Banned
templeusox said:
I just saw a 2-minute advertisement for Mass Effect 2 during the NFC Championship. Nothing from MAG at all, all day. Show some guts for once, SCEA.

Yeah, I saw it too.
Very cool trailer / ad.

Wish MAG had something like that.
Too bad SCE won't even pay for half a minute slot, nevermind the crazy long 2 minute one ME2 had... during the NFC Championship game.

GO SAINTS!!! WOOOoooo

theBishop

Banned
Click said:
Yeah, I saw it too.
Very cool trailer / ad.

Wish MAG had something like that.
Too bad SCE won't even pay for half a minute slot, nevermind the crazy long 2 minute one ME2 had... during the NFC Championship game.

GO SAINTS!!! WOOOoooo

I saw the "It only does 256 players" ad. I think during the Daily Show.

sk3tch

TheFallen said:
I think you misunderstood the PS blog. Beta 5 is definitely not the gold version on the disc. The choice quote you pulled was referring to giving gamers a head-start if they download the massive patch for Beta 5 on Dec 22nd prior to the beta actually starting on Jan 10th.

Zipper mentioned on their own website they will be outlining the differences between the beta and retail this week.

Yeah, I think you're right. Although I am pretty certain beta 5 and the retail disc are the exact same. How else would they update after beta 5? They need at least a 2 week lead time I'd image for manufacturing.

From what I've read a lot of the tweaks/changes happen server-side so perhaps there won't be too huge of a patch to download on day 1 (if any).

gusto5

Neo Member
sk3tch said:
Yeah, I think you're right. Although I am pretty certain beta 5 and the retail disc are the exact same. How else would they update after beta 5? They need at least a 2 week lead time I'd image for manufacturing.

From what I've read a lot of the tweaks/changes happen server-side so perhaps there won't be too huge of a patch to download on day 1 (if any).

That's the hope for MAG. Hopefully on release day it won't be server-slaughter with a million PSN errors and 'could not connect to the game universe' ;)

sk3tch

gusto5 said:
That's the hope for MAG. Hopefully on release day it won't be server-slaughter with a million PSN errors and 'could not connect to the game universe' ;)

Yeah that's precisely why I am going to pick it up at Gamestop's midnight launch...get it updated/installed/etc. and then go to bed so I can play right away after work on Tuesday.

gusto5

Neo Member
mr stroke said:
Been seeing this commercial everywhere, Sony's got in running during ESPN all day

50% of the game commercials I've been seeing have all been for MAG for some strange reason. This and less frequently TvC.

Has this game changed much since the beta?
I couldn't stand the beta because it felt really clunky and stale. I really wanted to like it but its just not my cup of tea.

Click

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
I couldn't stand the beta because it felt really clunky and stale. I really wanted to like it but its just not my cup of tea.

Thanks for letting us know.
Now go back to MW2 and BC2.

Click

Banned
theBishop said:
I saw the "It only does 256 players" ad. I think during the Daily Show.

Well, it would've been nice if SCE busted it out during either of the NFL games.

I mean, M$ went all out and had an awesome ME2 trailer for a minute and a half (I think) spot during the end of the Saints / Vikings game.

J-Rzez

GeneralIroh said:

Clunky controls lol? This game has the furthest from that. And yeah, it's really stale, we've had too many games this gen that puts out that many players at once on gigantic maps with many objectives. Sad thing is, this game handles 256 players better than other games that absolutely struggle to even cope with 12.

GeneralIroh said:

BOOOO! I like my socom, but this game is pretty fucking kickass

:D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Click said:
Well, it would've been nice if SCE busted it out during either of the NFL games.

I mean, M$ went all out and had an awesome ME2 trailer for a minute and a half (I think) spot during the end of the Saints / Vikings game.

Actually that ad was sponsored by Steam.

trk_rkd

Banned
G_Berry said:
Cod 2 on 360 if I recall correctly?

Warhawk on ps3 was after cod2 right? that had ping displayed. But yea, it's been a while since we actually had a numeric ms value for ping...

I'm quite hyped now for mag, and I have been thinking that it is the game i've waited a long time for, and it made me realise why i get bored of cod etc so quick.

It's obvious really, the majority of online fps's have followed the same old formula with the same old game modes. When i think that in search and destroy in mw2 you're actually planting a bomb on a random crate in a closed off town, what is all that about ? Could you not add a bit of imagination ? These game modes where spawned in an era when thats all was possible computer power wise, closed off areas with 16 guys ! Did the guys who came up with capture the flag really think that we'd still be playing it in it's rawest form ? There is no real point to it, you're basically playing a sport with the objective to score more points, mag is different, you're fighting for something, there is a sense of achivement etc from gaing a bit of ground or taking an enemy's base by using teamwork. The guy huddled against a rock with a sniper rifle isn't grinding out a tactical nuke, he's watching your back.

I don't know how to explain it really, but it does seem daft that we're still running around in a closed of square, having a mini battle, when we should be having a 'real war'. lets hope that mag can change all that, maybe it can be the game that we've 'pretending' to play all these years.

Violater

Jamesearlcash said:
The truth...

Ohh no the enemy has our flag, whatever will we do :lol
Another important fact is that most other games use the same maps for the game modes. However even with their best efforts generally some element of game play has to suffer.

Lince

Banned
trk_rkd said:
Warhawk on ps3 was after cod2 right? that had ping displayed. But yea, it's been a while since we actually had a numeric ms value for ping...

exactly, Warhawk did everything right and was released more than 2 years ago, fucking shame on every mp game after that.

Cagen

Shurs said:
I just dropped my info in the Online Forum thread for MAG.

Who are the clan leaders?
Nothings been finalised yet as far as I know but I believe Kowak is heading up RavenGAF. I will create SVER GAF unless someone does it before me as I may not get the game until the UK's official launch on Friday, may have it tonight through. Lyulf will probably lead ValorGAF to their slaughter.

sk3tch

KGKK said:
So the servers go up tomorrow or today?

I would imagine "tomorrow" as in Midnight tonight. Gamestop is doing a huge release at Midnight (piggybacking on ME2, of course) - so I would be very surprised if the servers were not up at 12:01a.

Violater

I think its ridiculous that you can do absolutely nothing in the game unless the servers are up. I think there should be some ability to even run through the training mode against some bots.

Shurs

Violater said:
I think its ridiculous that you can do absolutely nothing in the game unless the servers are up. I think there should be some ability to even run through the training mode against some bots.
Agreed.

theBishop

Banned
sk3tch said:
Yeah that's precisely why I am going to pick it up at Gamestop's midnight launch...get it updated/installed/etc. and then go to bed so I can play right away after work on Tuesday.

How can you find which stores are open at midnight?

Top Bottom