• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Click said:
I mean honestly, is 8-10 hours really asking that much out of players? Most people who buy games are excepted to put in at least that many hours anyway and they also expect a game to last at least that long. Why should be MAG be any different?
Its asking a lot in a game with respawn timers that land you into a conflict where you can die in a heartbeat, with no killcam, only to be placed right back into the respawn queue.

People who are bored with other FPS games or see the promise that MAG has to offer will put the time in though.

Click

Banned
NullPointer said:
Its asking a lot in a game with respawn timers that land you into a conflict where you can die in a heartbeat, with no killcam, only to be placed right back into the respawn queue.

People who are bored with other FPS games or see the promise that MAG has to offer will put the time in though.

Eh... you know that almost every other FPS also has respawn timers too, right? And every FPS, you can "die in a heartbeat." Isn't that the point of a shooter anyway? Kill or be killed anytime, anywhere? Not sure what you're getting at here...

As for killcam, it's cheap and assists bad gamers, just like an overabundance of auto-aim. I know the counterargument is that it prevents or discourages over-camping, but people still camp their hearts out in most games with killcam anyway. Even though MAG doesn't have a killcam, it does have an "auto-follow cam" on the person that killed you. This is enough to indicate and sometime pin-point where you got killed from.

Cagen

Just a reminder to anyone that hasn't put their name in the PMC thread to be added to one of the GAF clans or any new Junior Members that didn't know of it's existance, please do so, we don't want to miss people out.

If you haven't decided yet then that's not a problem, I'll be rearranging the lists to show each clan's Leader and Officers once they are set up, so just post in the thread or PM one of them for an invite.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385029

Arnie

Cagen said:
Just a reminder to anyone that hasn't put their name in the PMC thread to be added to one of the GAF clans or any new Junior Members that didn't know of it's existance, please do so, we don't want to miss people out.

If you haven't decided yet then that's not a problem, I'll be rearranging the lists to show each clan's Leader and Officers once they are set up, so just post in the thread or PM one of them for an invite.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385029
Awesome.

Just went to post my PMC and my timezone etc, but it seems I have already been recruited from my discussions about PMCs in this thread. Whoever put me on knew my timezone and PSN name. I feel wanted, ready to fight for my PMC. SVERGAF, assemble! Can't wait now, fuck ME2, I'll buy it and stick it on the shelf, I have a shadow war to win.

Cagen

Arnie said:
Awesome.

Just went to post my PMC and my timezone etc, but it seems I have already been recruited from my discussions about PMCs in this thread. Whoever put me on knew my timezone and PSN name. I feel wanted, ready to fight for my PMC. SVERGAF, assemble! Can't wait now, fuck ME2, I'll buy it and stick it on the shelf, I have a shadow war to win.

Heh, that was me. Your post prompted me to make my post as well.

TheFallen

Has Zipper detailed the differences between the beta and retail release yet? I know they mentioned it was this week (or was it last?). I'm curious whether or not I should go down the spec I used for the IGN tournament.

Also very pleased with the turnout in the PMC thread. Should be plenty of players to have a few on at all times. SVER GAF has a great bunch of players so far.

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
yeah it been that much fior ages, think the same price at HMV. i would have got mine online if it wasnt for the fact i wanted it for straight away action with raven gaf at the cost of £24.99.

edit:i love that the headset is #1 on the ps3 best seller and MAG has moved off the preorder chart and is #2. Looks like a lot of UK gamers are just getting them both like that so doubt there will be a bundle until a few months down the road, if ever.

Which shop did you find one and buy one from Kowak? I'm going to have to do a bit of shopping myself I think.

CozMick

Banned
Has anyone received the retail version of this game?

I desperately need to know about the frame rate in 256 player matches.

In the beta it went to <20fps and it makes me feel sick to the stomach.

Thanks

TheSoed

Cagen said:

Thanks for the link. Put myself down for Raven. I was Raven in the previous beta and that's all I want to be. :)

It does kind of annoy me that they said they would detail the differences between the final version and the beta and they haven't done it yet.

Cagen

CozMick said:
Has anyone received the retail version of this game?

I desperately need to know about the frame rate in 256 player matches.

In the beta it went to <20fps and it makes me feel sick to the stomach.

Thanks
The servers don't go live until the 26th so even the people with the game obviously can't answer this question, though it keeps being asked. I can't see it being improved much, if at all from Beta 5 so I think it is going to drop into the low 20s when there's a lot going on.

CozMick

Banned
Cagen said:
The servers don't go live until the 26th so even the people with the game obviously can't answer this question, though it keeps being asked. I can't see it being improved much, if at all from Beta 5 so I think it is going to drop into the low 20s when there's a lot going on.

Oh ok, cool,

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:
Which shop did you find one and buy one from Kowak? I'm going to have to do a bit of shopping myself I think.

saw one in game by itself for 24.99 but also saw it in gamestation for the same price plus socom, couldnt be bothered walking back to game so just picked up that bundle.

i really think you are best of getting the play.com official sony headset, cheapest one i have seen in store or online.

Raiden

Banned
I have played the beta some time ago, while it has some nice infantry gameplay i really miss the lack of vehicles, i have seen from other footage that there are tanks in the game, but are there choppers and fighter jets in the full version?

I have seen pics of them but no gameplay footage. Infantry+tanks only will probally not do it for me :(

Cagen

supermackem said:
You still need to buy it mick its epic.
Indeed. I hate it when the frame rate drops that low too but it doesn't happen all that often and I have so much fun playing the rest of the time I can put it a side.

Arnie

Ugh, just saw an advert for the game in EDGE. Made me lust for it even more. This is going to be the slowest week in history.

Cagen

Raiden said:
I have played the beta some time ago, while it has some nice infantry gameplay i really miss the lack of vehicles, i have seen from other footage that there are tanks in the game, but are there choppers and fighter jets in the full version?

I have seen pics of them but no gameplay footage. Infantry+tanks only will probally not do it for me :(
The only "pilotable" vehicals are tanks and APCs. There are helicopters but they serve as spawn points, you can't fly them, though you can man the mounted guns on them.

Boogat

To the guy asking when they will discuss the differences between beta/retail, Zipper said they will do it before release, so I imagine on Monday we should hear something. Sucks they are waiting so late to do it though.

Raiden said:

There are choppers but it is only used as a forward spawn and is not player controller. You can jump into the gunner seat but you can't fly it around. There are no jets either. You are limited to just ground vehicles.

Cagen

Arnie said:
Ugh, just saw an advert for the game in EDGE. Made me lust for it even more. This is going to be the slowest week in history.
The one next to the preview for MAG? That advert is horrible, god damn SCEE.

Arnie

Cagen said:
The one next to the preview for MAG? That advert is horrible, god damn SCEE.
Yep. The preview was good too. I quite like the advert, the faces on the MAG characters look awesome. And damn, the boxart is sexy.

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
saw one in game by itself for 24.99 but also saw it in gamestation for the same price plus socom, couldnt be bothered walking back to game so just picked up that bundle.

i really think you are best of getting the play.com official sony headset, cheapest one i have seen in store or online.

3-5 week dispatch wait though. Yuck.

Kyoufu

Which headset is being bundled with MAG? I see that several retailers here in the UK have the bundle but it doesn't state which headset you get.

sk3tch

TheFallen said:
Has Zipper detailed the differences between the beta and retail release yet? I know they mentioned it was this week (or was it last?). I'm curious whether or not I should go down the spec I used for the IGN tournament.

Not sure what you're referring to, but beta 5 is the same as the gold version on the disc. As outlined here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/mag-is-gold-beta-for-everyone-soon/

But hey, look at the bright side: this is the last time you’ll ever have to download a MAG file this big (since the data will already be on the retail disc when it ships next month), and you’ll save a whole lot of extra shooting time by downloading what you need early on; thus allowing you to jump into the action immediately on the 4th.

Kyoufu said:
Which headset is being bundled with MAG? I see that several retailers here in the UK have the bundle but it doesn't state which headset you get.
wcTXR.jpg

It looks like the official Sony bluetooth headset.

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:

hmv.com has it for the same price but is out of stock, i didnt see one in my local store when i tried to buy one but you might have luck and should be around the same price.

Safe Bet

Banned
Idea for an ad...

Show a guy playing the game from home.

His teammates are yelling at him through the mic, where the fuck are you, what the fuck are you doing etc.

He ignores them.

Suddenly his front door is breached.

A team of Soldiers storm in, grab him, and then carry him off like a log while chanting something.

The lead Soldier takes the guy's mic and controller, sits down in front of the tv, then says...

"I've got your six boys.. let's roll..."

Edit:

AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, asking people to give a shooter several hours to hook them is a bit cheeky in this day and age.

People play MMOs for alot longer than 10hrs before giving up on them...

Hopefully the meta-game will entice them into giving enough time to play/learn the core-game.

Harry_Manback

Neo Member
Do you guys know if there was a way to see your ping in the beta? I looked everywhere in the menus for a ping-o-meter but I couldn't find one...

Palmer_v1

Harry_Manback said:
Do you guys know if there was a way to see your ping in the beta? I looked everywhere in the menus for a ping-o-meter but I couldn't find one...

Nope. I can't remember the last console game that actually told you your specific ping.

Harry_Manback

Neo Member
Palmer_v1 said:
Nope. I can't remember the last console game that actually told you your specific ping.
Yeah i figured as much, but thought I'd better ask just in case I was blind.

(Last console game I played that DID show your ping, in numbers, was Warhawk.)

Cagen

archnemesis said:
wcTXR.jpg

It looks like the official Sony bluetooth headset.
Only if the retailer have bundled the official headset with the game. The boxed version like which is pictured isn't slated for a UK release, mainland Europe are getting it however. The bundles you see on UK websites will likely be with 3rd party headsets.

Arnie

Killer said:
I hope it plays MORE like BF and LESS MW2. The gunplay is what gonna make or break this game for me.
It plays a lot like Battlefield 2 pc, with the distinct lack of autoaim. Don't worry, it doesn't play like MW2.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
TheSoed said:
Thanks for the link. Put myself down for Raven. I was Raven in the previous beta and that's all I want to be. :)
Good choice, Soldier. You won't regret it. *Salute*

Wes said:
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to buy it from GAME myself.

Wes

venison crêpe
Kyoufu said:

WHAT?! WHERE?

If not guess I'll do the amazon socom thing or just shop!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Shopto had official headset for 24, with next day delivery. They took it off today for some reason. Play.com is NOT reliable at all. Dan got Jabra headset but it stopped working after a day. He sent it back, got another and that stopped working after an hour.. I think they're selling refurbished/faulty ones.

Kyoufu

Wes said:
WHAT?! WHERE?

GAME and Gamestation's websites (they usually have the same products in stores too).

I think I'll try and get the collector's edition from WHSmiths instead though.

Palmer_v1 said:

Yeah, why did this become ok? One of my biggest pet peeves about the direction games are going. Just annoys me that it's become standard to willfully hide this information from people.

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:
WHAT?! WHERE?

your best getting the socom bundle from gamestation, that way you get it in time for friday and its the same price.

Kyoufu said:
GAME and Gamestation's websites (they usually have the same products in stores too).

I think I'll try and get the collector's edition from WHSmiths instead though.

I thought that Smiths had completely stopped stocking games? They had a nationwide clearance of their games sections last week...

TheFallen

sk3tch said:
Not sure what you're referring to, but beta 5 is the same as the gold version on the disc. As outlined here:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/12/mag-is-gold-beta-for-everyone-soon/
I think you misunderstood the PS blog. Beta 5 is definitely not the gold version on the disc. The choice quote you pulled was referring to giving gamers a head-start if they download the massive patch for Beta 5 on Dec 22nd prior to the beta actually starting on Jan 10th.

Zipper mentioned on their own website they will be outlining the differences between the beta and retail this week.

CozMick

Banned
Kowak said:
your best getting the socom bundle from gamestation, that way you get it in time for friday and its the same price.

The Socom bundle is £17.99 in Argos, doesn't say on the site or in the catalogue that the headset is included but to my surprise I bought it and was actually the bundle.

You should check it out.

Top Bottom