• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Kowak

Banned
I will try and create raven gaf.

Gonna insert my copy of the game at 12:01 est/ 05:01 gmt. Although I can imagine it just being me all by myself for an hour.

Think I might give supression a play first and then some sabotage.

Is acquisition locked to a certain level?

Boogat

So a buddy of mine just finished his MAG site. On it he has a Skill tree/builder, Weapon comparisons (data based off the beta though, so it will change for retail) and some gag trophies. He is working on a loadout builder right now, so that should be finished soon.

www.maggametools.com
Let me know what you think.

Violater

Boogat said:
So a buddy of mine just finished his MAG site. On it he has a Skill tree/builder, Weapon comparisons (data based off the beta though, so it will change for retail) and some gag trophies. He is working on a loadout builder right now, so that should be finished soon.

www.maggametools.com

"Also, many of the images were taken off my TV with a cell phone camera, and for that, I apologize. If you have a fancy pants way of getting better images and want to help me out, visit the about page for what I need help with.

I'll shut up now and let you get on with the site. Enjoy." :lol

Love it already
Pretty good stuff, hopefully you guys will get some Map info eventually.
Preferably showing locations of objectives, ammo crates etc.

Noshino

Boogat said:

www.maggametools.com

Very nice

Shouldn't you be on Raven?
Congratulations! You fucking suck at this game.

Not nice >:C

Safe Bet

Banned
templeusox said:
"MAG is hosted entirely on Zipper's dedicated servers, with no need for client-side hosting."

Power_gorilla.gif

theBishop

Banned
I really want to get this day one, but the post-release support is going to be so important. My rational side tells me to wait until Zipper gives some indication of where MAG is going. As "massive" (lolz) as the game is, $60 still seems like a lot of money for what's being offered.

sk3tch

theBishop said:
I really want to get this day one, but the post-release support is going to be so important. My rational side tells me to wait until Zipper gives some indication of where MAG is going. As "massive" (lolz) as the game is, $60 still seems like a lot of money for what's being offered.

I'm sold...just for the sheer fact that I can dedicate an entire evening to this game on the weekend and easily spend 6-8 hours playing. I've never been able to do that with a game. It's just that fun and that addicting - and this was just in the IGN tourney when they only had the Sabotage mode open and 3 maps!

I don't understand why you'd question that the game is "massive"? I can certainly understand it not being your cup of tea, but it certainly is massive...even if not directly in certain aspects - the overall scope is friggin' HUGE.

Lince

Banned
Safe Bet said:
"MAG is hosted entirely on Zipper's dedicated servers, with no need for client-side hosting."

but are there European-based servers for us Euro players? American players will always have the ping advantage, I'm not talking p2p bullshit but still an advantage.

Boogat

Inanna said:
I hate that site now!! :|
It's just a joke guys! We are S.V.E.R. players as you could probably tell :D

Glad you guys are liking the site. We will for sure update it tomorrow once we get our hands on the actual weapon stats.

KZObsessed

Lince said:
but are there European-based servers for us Euro players? American players will always have the ping advantage, I'm not talking p2p bullshit but still an advantage.

hmm good point. Das-J?????

TheFatOne

Lince said:

:lol Out of all people complaining about lag Lince aka The Eurolag King

KGKK

Banned
Wished the servers going up and the official release was today:( I got nothing to do all day but starting tomorrow I'm going to hav next to no time to play this till the following Monday:(

theBishop

Banned
sk3tch said:
I'm sold...just for the sheer fact that I can dedicate an entire evening to this game on the weekend and easily spend 6-8 hours playing. I've never been able to do that with a game. It's just that fun and that addicting - and this was just in the IGN tourney when they only had the Sabotage mode open and 3 maps!

I don't understand why you'd question that the game is "massive"? I can certainly understand it not being your cup of tea, but it certainly is massive...even if not directly in certain aspects - the overall scope is friggin' HUGE.

I'm not questioning it. I know the game is massive. (lolz) was a reference to "Massive Action Game".

And MAG is definitely my cup of tea. I've been itching for a decent objective-based online shooter since the original Enemy Territory got too old to look at. The main problem I have with MAG is just a lack of artistic variety in the environments. More maps will (hopefully) address this, but Zipper isn't forthcoming with that information. I don't have illusions about this, I know these battlefields take a lot of effort to create. But as a player, I don't care about that, I just want more.

Lince

Banned
TheFatOne said:
:lol Out of all people complaining about lag Lince aka The Eurolag King

I just need to know so I can properly set up my lag-switch (thanks btw, I received it in time for MW2) :lol

depward said:

Ending quote:

Massive Action Game delivers on the promise of its name. It's certainly massive, and there is more than enough action to go around. MAG's biggest draw, however, is that it's perfect for both hardcore multiplayer FPS fans and newcomers alike. Those who want to get invested can go for objectives, delve into the Shadow War, and become commanders, while those who just want to run around and shoot the nearest enemy can do so. The battles are so big that everybody can be catered to, and players have the freedom to experience MAG in any manner they which, with any level of involvement.

Most importantly, however, is the fact that MAG's concept works. It works very well, in fact. What more could you want?

Score: 8.0 -- Great (8s are impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.)

sk3tch

depward said:

Hmm...quotes like these make me wonder if they really spent much time with the game:

Be warned that the controls can take some getting used to, even for those used to PS3 shooters. Weapon scrolling is assigned to the R2 button while special items like grenades and health kits are scrolled with L2. Most players I have encountered so far haven't even learned that medical kits exist, let alone know how to use them. It doesn't help that scrolling is slow and it can be very difficult to revive a fallen player before getting shot down yourself.

A) The scrolling is a bit off, but you can assign heavily-used items (such as the med kit) as primary and it's just a button press then boom.

B) No one he played with knows the med kits exist? Ha. For 10 XP + more in frago that is certainly not the case in my 20+ hours. Nearly everyone can revive folks...

It's a positive review, but still...makes you wonder.

Boogat

TheSixthAxis actually mentions that they haven't spend much time on the game in their review, which I give them credit for.
As we come toward our conclusion, we have to admit that MAG is inherently difficult to assess with just a mere few hours of game time under our belts. Though it had the longest beta period in Sony’s history, and many will feel familiar with its quirks and charms, it’s important not to judge the game based on what were purely evolving builds. Now that it’s here, finished and opening up its battlefields for all to experience, the fate of MAG very much rests on those who will gravitate toward its lofty premise and who naturally resonate with such grandiose aspirations.

PuMa

Full D'toid review for whoever requested it...

MAG, otherwise known as Massive Action Game, has never been short of ambition. Cramming 256 players into a single FPS multiplayer match is no small task at the best of times, but doing it on home consoles is unprecedented. Nevertheless, this is what Zipper Interactive has done with MAG. 256 players on a single map, battling for control of a persistent online world. Ambition, thy name is Zipper.

As with all lofty concepts, MAG was destined to either become a technological triumph or an overzealous disaster. Having spent many hours invested in the game's huge battles, testing out all the game modes, and taking part in several gigantic matches with a full 256 players, I can now tell you which way MAG went.

Read on for the full review of Massive Action Game.

MAG (PS3)
Developer: Zipper Interactive
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Released: January 26, 2010
MSRP: $59.99

In the year 2025, the maintenance of a full-scale armed force has become such a burden that countries around the world have cut their military down to the bare minimum, just enough to defend national security. Not only that, but no nation's military is allowed to leave its own country's borders, effectively forcing world peace. Of course, this is a videogame, and violence always finds a way.

To get around the pesky inconvenience of global peace, the world gave rise to a variety of private military corporations who would work for anybody, allowing countries to continue their wars without violating any rules. The PMCs competed heavily for contracts, always trying to undercut each other, but the competition soon became vicious. PMCs actively began to attack each other, kickstarting the "Shadow War" as they tried to run each other out of business by straining supplies and raising budgets. MAG revolves around three powerful PMC factions -- Raven, SVER and Valor -- all of which now battle for supremecy of the global war market.

Players will choose to serve one of these three factions, and will be able to switch sides if they so decide. Each PMC has access to its own unique weapons and skills. Raven is a high-tech force from Western Europe that uses the most advanced equipment, but lacks real-world fighting experience. SVER is a patchwork collection of soldiers from the Middle East and Russia who make the best of what they have, while Valor is an elite band of mercenaries who employ standard military gear and excel at communication.

The factions are all fairly balanced and the differences are mostly aesthetic. During each battle, players will earn XP for kills and assists, completing objectives and healing allies or performing repairs. These points can then be spent on a skill tree to unlock new items and weapons. A very simplistic skill tree is in effect, allowing the player some measure of customization. For instance, you can focus on close-quarter combat, or pick skills to aid in sniping, or work on acquiring heavy armor to take on vehicles or perform defensive roles. Nothing particularly innovative or amazing, but it does the job and has enough content to satisfy fans of customization.

Players can save several different character types, allowing them to switch during respawns depending on their needs. It's always handy to have a few various character types to tackle any given situation, although you usually won't go far wrong if you stick with a machine gun and a medical kit. Characters are restricted by point limits, helping to balance them out and making sure that the heavily armored soldier doesn't tout two rocket launchers, a shotgun, a medical kit and several types of grenades.

The game is split into various game types. Suppression is a simple deathmatch-style game. In this mode, PMCs fight amongst themselves instead of each other, as it's been designed as a training match for newcomers. Sabotage charges factions with the task of capturing or defending two control points. When the attackers control two points, a third objective opens up, which the attackers must destroy. Acquisition is my favorite mode so far, as players must capture enemy vehicles and take them to transport choppers.

The main mode, however, is Domination. These matches are crucial to the game's "Shadow War," and each match will contribute to the success of each PMC on a persistant world map. 256 players are split into various platoons and squads, and each one will have its own attack or defense objective. The performance in each sector of the map adds up to total victory.

As a shooter, MAG is very good at what it does. The HUD can sometimes be confusing and objectives aren't made very clear during the heat of battle, but it rarely matters because MAG is just fun to run around in, shooting at enemies and hoping for the best. The core gameplay is conventional in many ways, but better for it. Fans of Killzone 2 will feel at home with the controls, and clear influences from established shooters like Call of Duty only help to keep the game smooth and dependable.

Be warned that the controls can take some getting used to, even for those used to PS3 shooters. Weapon scrolling is assigned to the R2 button while special items like grenades and health kits are scrolled with L2. Most players I have encountered so far haven't even learned that medical kits exist, let alone know how to use them. It doesn't help that scrolling is slow and it can be very difficult to revive a fallen player before getting shot down yourself. MAG struggles with communicating its ideas to the player. The ideas themselves are great, and the gameplay can be incredible fun, but MAG doesn't tell its players just how much fun it can be.

In truth, it takes a game or two to get used to how MAG does things. Once you do, however, it feels great. Combat is quick without being chaotic, and heavy without feeling grinding or slow. The respawns can be lengthy because they are designed to let players attack in waves, which means you can sometimes respawn in three seconds, or sometimes wait fifteen. As a solid and addictive shooter, however, MAG delivers, and can be considered a very good game on just those merits.

Of course, it's the size and scope of MAG that makes it more than just a shooter, and here is where Zipper Interactive has truly impressed. Despite the lack of player information and sometimes confusing objectives, the huge scale of the battles has been produced expertly and works out incredibly well. Zipper's decision to split the armies into squads in order to keep 256 players from congesting the map was very wise and keeps the game feeling huge but not overwhelming. Sometimes this can lead to large sections of map with nothing going on, and sometimes it can lead to choke points full of too much action, but generally the balance is impressive.

Much of the enjoyment of MAG relies on communication. Each faction is split into squads and platoons, with players designated as commanders. A full company of 128 players will be made up of four platoons, each of which are made up of four squads, each of which are made up of eight players. Squads, platoons and companies are led by designated players who will not only be responsible for giving orders, but who will also get special command abilities that can have significant effects on battle, such as increased respawn rates or various buffs for allied soldiers. Of course, players who don't communicate or want to help out allies in way can have a pretty significant effect on the battlefield, so be aware that sometimes you'll be on a losing streak and it won't be your fault.

As well as the typical running and gunning, there are also vehicles and turrets to control. Players can ride in tanks and APCs, and switch to available seats to either drive the vehicles themselves, or utilize gun emplacements. The vehicle controls work very well, and are surprisingly balanced as well. Tanks and turrets are significantly powerful, but can be destroyed fairly easily with dedicated enemy fire, meaning that nothing remains too overpowering.

The whole Shadow War aspect is very promising, and will need several weeks of community input in order to take shape. At this early stage, however, it's clear that the lasting effects of player battles will keep drawing players in, not to mention the customization and the simple joy of feeling like your in-game actions affect more than just the single match you're playing. It only takes a short amount of time to start feeling attached to your company, and invested in the game's changing world. MAG has all the tools to keep players hooked, and those tools are very well crafted indeed.

With such a huge game, there are some obvious graphical trade-offs. MAG does not look as beautiful as some smaller shooters out there, but this is made up for with a pretty striking art style that reminds me of Criterion's Black in many ways. The three PMCs have very distinguishable looks, with Raven especially making a good visual impact. Unfortunately, I noticed a few glitches involving dead bodies spasming uncontrollably, and one player fell through the floor. However, these glitches are few and seem mostly harmless.

Massive Action Game delivers on the promise of its name. It's certainly massive, and there is more than enough action to go around. MAG's biggest draw, however, is that it's perfect for both hardcore multiplayer FPS fans and newcomers alike. Those who want to get invested can go for objectives, delve into the Shadow War, and become commanders, while those who just want to run around and shoot the nearest enemy can do so. The battles are so big that everybody can be catered to, and players have the freedom to experience MAG in any manner they which, with any level of involvement.

Most importantly, however, is the fact that MAG's concept works. It works very well, in fact. What more could you want?

Score: 8.0 -- Great (8s are impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.)

Kowak

Banned
I am just downloading update 1.01 now and it's 37mb.

Also they must have dedicated euro servers as australa has got one for MAG.

theBishop

Banned
Both these reviews capture the good and bad of MAG accurately. Based on the early attitude in podcast discussions, I was expecting reviewers would completely pan this game. John Davidson and others were flat-out laughing about MAG when it was first announced.

theBishop said:
Both these reviews capture the good and bad of MAG accurately. Based on the early attitude in podcast discussions, I was expecting reviewers would completely pan this game. John Davidson and others were flat-out laughing about MAG when it was first announced.

People were laughing at Killzone 2 when it was first announced as well. Look how that turned out. Many other games as well.

Then again, KZ2 was developed by a team that didn't really have a positive background before KZ2, so they at least had a reason.

Zipper on the other hand... People though they couldn't pull off what they imagined and targeted... Of course, they were proven wrong. ;)

jorma

is now taking requests
Boogat said:

www.maggametools.com

Just what i wanted. Especially the future loadout builder, i did unlock stuff i only later realised i could not use, so will probably save me some respecs!

Very nice site, bar the cheap dig at Raven :x

jorma

is now taking requests
CozMick said:
That review is based off the open beta and the MAG review event in London, how on earth can they give a score from that?

Well the destructoid review has to be based off that as well.

TheSoed

theBishop said:
John Davidson and others were flat-out laughing about MAG when it was first announced.

A lot of that was due to the name. "Massive Action Game", which to this day is still stupid. I'm glad they've removed any association with that title from the game, despite it still being called "MAG".

There were probably jokes about install base as well, if there were even 256 PS3s around. This was nearly two years ago so I forget the exact words, but I recall jokes like that.

Glad to see the game getting positive press though. It's not easy to get into, but once you have, most people I know who were in the beta were hooked and are grabbing the game tomorrow. I will be with them.

Giant Bomb mentioned in their "I Love Mondays" segment that they will be writing a couple check-ins about MAG this week, before even writing a review.

Kowak

Banned
I have connected to the server and am downloading 61.66mb of updates.

I am hoping this means I can some how get a game or at least create my character/ training.

Edit: dam still got the empty box, still love seeing the video. Sver come off looking like terrorists and valor look like gay bodybuilders. Raven just add to their excellent reputation.

sk3tch said:
Hmm...quotes like these make me wonder if they really spent much time with the game:

A) The scrolling is a bit off, but you can assign heavily-used items (such as the med kit) as primary and it's just a button press then boom.

B) No one he played with knows the med kits exist? Ha. For 10 XP + more in frago that is certainly not the case in my 20+ hours. Nearly everyone can revive folks...

It's a positive review, but still...makes you wonder.

A) I think he's right. I was level 15 and still weren't 100% used to the controllers. Once I figured out I can assign priorities it got easier.

B) In demolition mode, I had medics come up to me while down trying to rez me with aid kit, I guess they heard medics can revive people, they just didn't know they need to upgrade to med kit (rez kit). I tried that at first too before I figured out the skill tree.

This game does have a learning it's not hard but it's also not easy.
Tomorrow will be a bad day for noobs when I start shootin :D

theBishop

Banned
dorkimoe said:
another review

http://www.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/8990/mag-massive-action-game

6.8/10

i just need a tutorial or something, this game was so in depth. I expect alot of used copies soon

"you can’t expect players of your game to communicate properly when your game does not communicate properly with its players." - Not an unfair criticism, but the Training mode(s?) have been locked throughout the many beta phases. Maybe what's on the disc gets the job done.

deepbrown

Can't believe we're actually seeing reviews when the servers haven't been turned on. That London event was enough only for a short hands-on preview.

TheFallen

dorkimoe said:
another review

http://www.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/8990/mag-massive-action-game

6.8/10

i just need a tutorial or something, this game was so in depth. I expect alot of used copies soon
Wow now that's a bad review.

Ally icons on the mini-map should vary according to squad to make it easier, nay possible, to stick with the guys you’re supposed to stick with. They don’t. Your current squad and platoon orders should be displayed prominently on screen at all times. They’re not.
Clearly didn't play. :lol

Top Bottom