• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

panda21

:D @ good reviews. i love it but i was expecting it to get trashed by reviewers who didnt give it a chance.

almost got burnt out on it in the original beta but had just enough cool off... going back in HARD on friday evening :D not having to play acquisition every time is going to be awesome

Biff

I wonder how similar MAG will be tomorrow compared to the last beta build we saw a couple weeks ago?

I'm *hoping* they have a beefy hour-one patch ready to add one more layer of polish above the beta code.. 2 weeks is a lot of time when you have 100% of your staff working overtime, right? Right?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
These douchebags are reviewing the beta, not final code. That's pretty goddamn unprofessional.

If true, this bears repeating, loudly. I have no interest in this game, but reviewing a beta is fucking scummy behavior. Is it worth it to get the first review out? I don't get the sense that this game is as highly anticipated as other Sony heavy hitters... (but to be fair I haven't followed this thread at all). So why sacrifice one's shitty blog's integrity to crank out the first review?

obonicus

theBishop said:
Both these reviews capture the good and bad of MAG accurately. Based on the early attitude in podcast discussions, I was expecting reviewers would completely pan this game. John Davidson and others were flat-out laughing about MAG when it was first announced.

It's hard to explain the appeal behind MAG. I hate to use the term, but you do have to 'get it'. Some people really don't understand the appeal of the sort of scale 256-player matches bring. Luckily there's pretty solid game mechanics to support the whole thing, and even people who don't get it can judge it on those merits.

Hope it does well just for the sheer balls of making it free online play. Not sure if I'll buy it though due to other more 'hyped' games coming out this Q. Which then leaves the 'not sure if people will still be around' when I do buy it feeling.

jorma

is now taking requests
hey_it's_that_dog said:
If true, this bears repeating, loudly. I have no interest in this game, but reviewing a beta is fucking scummy behavior. Is it worth it to get the first review out? I don't get the sense that this game is as highly anticipated as other Sony heavy hitters... (but to be fair I haven't followed this thread at all). So why sacrifice one's shitty blog's integrity to crank out the first review?

Not as many are hyped about it probably, but those that are hyped seem to be really hyped. The MAG thread in the online forum has the same post/view stats as the MW2 thread, and the game isn't even out yet.

Violater

ChefRamsay said:
I wonder how similar MAG will be tomorrow compared to the last beta build we saw a couple weeks ago?

I'm *hoping* they have a beefy hour-one patch ready to add one more layer of polish above the beta code.. 2 weeks is a lot of time when you have 100% of your staff working overtime, right? Right?

That's a nice thought though I will be happy if they just get the server issues and the lobby chat sorted out.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
obonicus said:
It's hard to explain the appeal behind MAG. I hate to use the term, but you do have to 'get it'. Some people really don't understand the appeal of the sort of scale 256-player matches bring. Luckily there's pretty solid game mechanics to support the whole thing, and even people who don't get it can judge it on those merits.

This.

MAG is more appealing to me than MW2, simply for the large battle aspect. I know more often than not, that the battles will be all messy and uncoordinated, but when it does happen correctly, it's a great feeling.

I'm hoping for similar experiences to some of the larger Battlefield battles, and Planetside, in that while there's a shitload going on, you can feel a concentrated effort being put into taking out/defending a target.

elohel

I bet the games metascore will be between 76 and 80

can we do that? Meta predictions?

Hope the game does well it'd be cool for more casual players to
be introduced to such a large scale game

Violater

Has Amazon sent shipping notice to anyone as yet?

"We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.
MAG
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
# Shipping Speed: Release-Date Delivery
# Order Total: $36.99 "

U2NUMB

So will MAG be in stores tomorrow or is it shipping tomorrow? I enjoyed the beta enough to give the full game a shot.

depward

Violater said:

"We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.
MAG

Yup, got my "shipped" email about 20 mins ago.

elohel

theBishop

Banned
Violater said:

MAG

Woah, how did you get that price?

Kowak

Banned
elohel said:

I thinK that is what it deserves at the least, however I can see it getting something in the 60s. It seems quite a few people have prejudged it and won't give it the time it deserves *cough*IGN*cough*.

Kyoufu

Why is Valor so unpopular? I'm not sure if I want to play a weak class on my first playthrough (I want to actually enjoy the game as I learn it).

Noshino

U2NUMB said:
So will MAG be in stores tomorrow or is it shipping tomorrow? I enjoyed the beta enough to give the full game a shot.

Well, around my area it is already in shelves, its just not available for purchase til tomorrow tho :C

So I ll be on MAG at 8-9AM EST :lol

sk3tch

Kyoufu said:
Why is Valor so unpopular? I'm not sure if I want to play a weak class on my first playthrough (I want to actually enjoy the game as I learn it).

It's all personal preference, really. The factions are pretty equal. Some argue to the contrary...but nothing is definite until retail hits and the "real" population hits the game.

Arnie

Kyoufu said:
Because they aren't as cool as SVER.

Wes

venison crêpe
Arnie said:
Because they aren't as cool as SVER.

I see the word cool but my mind automatically replaced it with annoying.

MAG smacktalk is half the fun of this game

obonicus

Man said:
That is a false assumption however. :)
The divide is 36%, 33%, 31%. That is an incredibly balanced divide.

They're unpopular on GAF, though. To the point where there's not even enough in Valor for a squad.

Violater

Mag it may not be 60fps hell not even 30 fps a lot of times, but the connection is rock solid.
What good is 60FPS if your lagging 1/2 the time.

spats

Violater said:
Mag it may not be 60fps hell not even 30 fps a lot of times, but the connection is rock solid.
What good is 60FPS if your lagging 1/2 the time.

There's some truth to this.

Violater

"The flow of the action is supposed to be one of fluidity so you’d always have something to do within MAG, but the reality is that usually everyone converges on one point of the map for a gigantic shoot out to the death. It’s hardly original."

Even though this has never been my experience, it still sounds fuckawesome :lol

oktarb

This is a notice from the Valor Recruitment Division (VRD):

Please do not try and join up with Valor. We do not have recruitment offices. We thrive on being the underdog. When vastly outnumbered we have to rely on solid tactics, superior unit cohesion and unmatched crisis decision making. Flooding our numbers may seem attractive on paper but it will dull the razors edge we have honed through a strict diet of death and war.

Those that do match the caliber needed to thrive within Valor will be discreetly contacted and interviewed.

Honor on the Field -Strategy equals Victory - Immortality through Sacrifice.

VRD

Violater said:
"The flow of the action is supposed to be one of fluidity so you’d always have something to do within MAG, but the reality is that usually everyone converges on one point of the map for a gigantic shoot out to the death. It’s hardly original."

Even though this has never been my experience, it still sounds fuckawesome :lol

a lot of sabotage games ended like that for me and it is indeed fuckawesome

panda21

Arnie said:
Because they aren't as emo as SVER.

Please do not try and join up with Valor. We do not have recruitment offices. We thrive on being the underdog. When vastly outnumbered we have to rely on solid tactics, superior unit cohesion and unmatched crisis decision making. Flooding our numbers may seem attractive on paper but it will dull the razors edge we have honed through a strict diet of death and war.

Those that do match the caliber needed to thrive within Valor will be discreetly contacted and interviewed.

VRD

:lol nice

Boogat said:
So a buddy of mine just finished his MAG site. On it he has a Skill tree/builder, Weapon comparisons (data based off the beta though, so it will change for retail) and some gag trophies. He is working on a loadout builder right now, so that should be finished soon.

www.maggametools.com
Let me know what you think.

nice, would like to see this further improved when the game is out (like further info, last sniper rifle coming with its own scope/bipod etc.)
btw. the (sver) sniper bipod should be 2 points and not 3 IIRC?

Especially I can't wait for the loadout calculator, I hate to not being able to see the credits of equipment I want to spend skillpoints on...

in case the weapon stats are correct, what is the benefit of investing skill points on the last SVER assault rifle instead of the second?
The AK-103 has 1 point of better damage, everything else is the same or much worse?!

Violater

GoodMorning said:
a lot of sabotage games ended like that for me and it is indeed fuckawesome
Well the whole idea of the offense is to try and push the enemy back to objective C, so of course everyone will be there.

PuMa

oktarb said:

VRD

:lol

I joined Valor because it's GAF's underdog.

Top Bottom