• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

ZZMitch

Going out tomorrow to throw 120$ down on this game.. (game and headset)... but it will be worth it!

Are there any high res shots of the final build up anywhere?

Go Valor! :D

ZZMitch said:
Going out tomorrow to throw 120$ down on this game.. (game and headset)... but it will be worth it!

Errrr, you're gonna pay $60 for a headset?

theBishop

Banned
ZZMitch said:

I'm not sure the PS headset is the best thing in the world. Certainly you can find one more comfortable for less money. Its got some high quality mode, but games have to support it specifically.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This is the best game ever. The Terms and Conditions window is so beautifully rendered, the blank character management screen is mysterious and foreboding and the lack of any gameplay eschews typical video game conventions with a bravery only Zipper could pull off.

why would they send out review copies when the servers are dead

theBishop

Banned
McBacon said:
This is the best game ever. The Terms and Conditions window is so beautifully rendered, the blank character management screen is mysterious and foreboding and the lack of any gameplay eschews typical video game conventions with a bravery only Zipper could pull off.

See you at midnight...

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
McBacon said:

I'm looking at mine on my desk knowing full well that when I get home tonight they won't be on... but a boy can dream, right? This is a game that I think can't be reviewed until the possibility of 256 people is a reality. You're just not going to get that until full release. Bah.

Shred0r

Banned
Boogat said:
The only positive thing from that is that they are waiting to actually review the game. So you gotta give them credit for that. They realize what they saw at the review event is NOT enough to base an actual review off of (unlike the other places releasing reviews today).

I have the feeling that post-poning the review of MAG (for the reasons given by them) is just a welcome excuse to place a massive Mass Effect 2 review of galactic proportions instead and paying all their attention to it while MAG might be reserved as an afterthought only...
Let's wait and see how professionally they will treat MAG and handle the review then...

Wes

venison crêpe
McBacon said:

Starting off on a level playing field, at a pre-determined time = yay?

Inanna said:
No, we're not all SVER. It's 50/50 between Raven and SVER.

And we all know Raven are the coolest. :)

Testify!

Inanna said:
No, we're not all SVER. It's 50/50 between Raven and SVER.

And we all know Raven are the coolest. :)
I don't blame people for making this mistake though. SVER does a lot of talking about how good they could be while Raven just shows how good they are.

Kowak

Banned
Gosh, i am so pumped for this. Got all the updates installed, mic fully charged, dualshock 3 charged, and got my new Old Snake figure ready to give me moral support.

I can only hope that the nice people at Zipper allow me to play. I will be pissed off if I have to wait till Friday.

However, if i can play, is there anyone from Raven who has a copy or is getting one that will be playing at midnight est??? Its also a shame having to wait till friday to play with Wes, Inanna, and dellrizla.

Raven Rule

22143_1331429083152_1153749662_1734232_807495_n.jpg

22143_1331424843046_1153749662_1734202_3279032_n.jpg

that looks like to many people to be Valor.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Hopefully, Shopto is going to hurry up and send out the game earlier like they always do. I don't think I can wait until Friday. :(

Kowak

Banned
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/mag-beta-vs-final-game/

January 26 is just one day away with MAG arriving on store shelves worldwide tomorrow and throughout the week. Before you delve into your first “official” match between Raven, S.V.E.R., and Valor, though, we wanted to make sure that you knew two things:

* What the differences between the Beta 5.0 and the final version are
* How we implemented your feedback from the beta to affect the retail game on day one

First, let’s talk about the differences between the final game and the beta you tried out a few weeks ago – the most obvious of which is the mode and map count. Whereas before, the Beta version of MAG only offered six maps and two modes, the retail version has a full five modes with 15 maps to play. The final game also includes a handy offline training mode, unique armors, new cinematics, art galleries, trophies, and the always-popular Veteran Mode that lets you start all over again with a permanent XP bonus and the ability to switch your faction after hitting the level cap. Of course, graphical and audio improvements are in there too.

But our “out of the box” distinctions aren’t all there is to talk about. We’ve also addressed a number of topics that were brought to our attention when you were testing MAG earlier this month, and will deliver them to you the moment you boot MAG up with a small in-game patch (roughly 60-80 MB depending on your region).

Among these upgrades is the oft-asked-for ability to knife an enemy while you’re reloading your weapon — in addition to a pretty significant framerate increase during player-heavy games and noticeable differences in the effectiveness of every weapon and piece of armor. Moreover, we’ve gone back and added all-new light settings for every environment and increased the amount of time you can sprint before getting tired.

For a full catalog of additions, fixes and tweaks, check out our complete list of patch notes on the MAG blog.

sweetness

Violater

Damn beaten
stupid 500's
MAG Patch v1.01

The latest patch notes can always be found on the official MAG Blog.

Gameplay
· Added ability for player to use knife during a reload animation.
· Applied significant tuning adjustments for all weapons and armor.
· Increased sprint duration before tiring by 30%.
· Lowered XP requirements for levels 2 thru 4.
· Lowered level-entry restrictions for Sabotage from Level 3 to Level 2.
· Lowered level-entry restrictions for Acquisition from Level 5 to Level 4.
· Lowered level-entry restrictions for Domination from Level 10 to Level 8.
· Enabled proper level requirements for unlocking headgear, facegear, and uniforms.
· Fixed problem with recoil/firing animation that kept playing for a few seconds after the player fires an automatic gun and uses knife swipe simultaneously.

Interface
· Fixed bug where incapacitated players’ nametags would occasionally disappear.
· Repositioned onscreen weapons for improved field of view.
· Armory items (facegear/ headgear/ uniforms) reordered.
· Removed helmets from “Loadout 3” for all factions.

Graphics
· Made significant increase in framerate during player-heavy games.
· Changed light settings for all environments.
· Polished recoil effect for better realism.
· Fixed offset muzzle flash effect.
· Tuned camera to shake more realistically when hit by bullets.
· Adjusted “blur” effect for both normal sights and iron sights.
· Added alternate reload animation.
· New “light scatter” treatment for all skies.
· Repaired various “weapon clipping” issues.
· Enacted several particle fogging adjustments.

Audio
· Switched first-person weapon sounds to true stereo.
· Moved first-person character interactions and weapon switches to true stereo.
· Tweaked sounds effects relating to landing on surfaces.

Technical
· Added error display and queue panel updates to notify player when they’ve encountered a “join game” failure.
· Made various server stability fixes and tweaks.

Daft_Cat

So, what's the general consensus on MAG?

Heard some bad things about the beta a while ago. However, impressions seem to be a bit more positive now. More importantly though, there seems to be like no hype for this. I've seen no ads, no real articles, no reviews..in fact I really can't detect much of a marketing campaign at all. Does the game suck? Was really looking forward to it last summer, but it's so under the radar now that I really didn't even know it was coming out until last week.

Am I missing something? Admittedly, I've been caught up in Mass Effect 2 and holiday season hype for the past few months.

TheFallen

Damn that's a lot more changes than I expected. Good job to Zipper.

I've made plenty of time for tomorrow late afternoon and night to plow through some matches with my fellow SVER comrades. Hope to see you guys online tomorrow. (I'm too lazy to drive at midnight)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so pumped for this, the Beta won me over so much my ass hurt.

From the sitting down on the floor, no seriously, what did you think I meant :p

Oh, and the ass-pounding that was Raven Domination defense, man, talk about fighting a losing battle!

Kowak

Banned
Vennt said:

Oh, and the ass-pounding that was Raven Domination defense, man, talk about fighting a losing battle!

Thought you had meant that one of the Valor boys had their way with you, its what they like to do.

I hope I can finally win a raven attacking domination

Wes

venison crêpe
Vennt said:

Respawn on tanker > fall down hole on left/right> jump down another level > attempt to make it 5 feet but get slapped by cluster bombs > repeat.

Good times.

J-Rzez

Violater said:
Damn beaten
stupid 500's
MAG Patch v1.01

The latest patch notes can always be found on the official MAG Blog.

As always, Zipper is full of win. I wonder how it's going to look/sound like now with the retail game. Also, curious about the framerate. It never once crippled the game, but smoother is better.

One thing disappoints though, and that's the knifing while reloading. That's lame, you should be penalized for reloading, adding the risk/reward. Doesn't make much sense either. You should lose a full mag of ammo if you do it, dropping it to grab the knife.

That game's now review is trash. "We didn't know what to do, Zipper failed to tell us", that's what you get for reviewing the beta and not the retail with training mission in there. Not to mention the game just about holds your hand to tell you visually and audio-queue wise what to do, plus you have your leaders, it actually does more than CoD, BF, and BC. When your site is so bad you're not on Metacritic even, you know that it's a joke. The typo's in there were incredible, reading like a forum blathering instead of a review.

Is there an install on the retail version? Sorry if I missed it.

darkwing said:

Yeah, they're all based off of real life weaponry. Reminds me how much I miss Raven's final AR. Love Sig's, hell my patrol rifle is a Sig 556. :D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Wes said:
Respawn on tanker > fall down hole on left/right> jump down another level > attempt to make it 5 feet but get slapped by cluster bombs > repeat.

Good times.

:lol - So true

5 feet?

That was considered heroic wasn't it?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Seein's how the Japanese release is only a day or two from now, any J-GAFers have the scoop on whether this game like many other English-devved games will have English support? It is much cheaper over here than importing a US copy.

TheFallen

J-Rzez said:
That game's now review is trash. "We didn't know what to do, Zipper failed to tell us", that's what you get for reviewing the beta and not the retail with training mission in there. Not to mention the game just about holds your hand to tell you visually and audio-queue wise what to do, plus you have your leaders, it actually does more than CoD, BF, and BC. When your site is so bad you're not on Metacritic even, you know that it's a joke. The typo's in there were incredible, reading like a forum blathering instead of a review.
Worse is that it was written by PLAY Magazine's Games Editor. So can't imagine their review will be any better.

Kowak

Banned
J-Rzez said:
As always, Zipper is full of win. I wonder how it's going to look/sound like now with the retail game. Also, curious about the framerate. It never once crippled the game, but smoother is better.

One thing disappoints though, and that's the knifing while reloading. That's lame, you should be penalized for reloading, adding the risk/reward. Doesn't make much sense either. You should lose a full mag of ammo if you do it, dropping it to grab the knife.

Is there an install on the retail version? Sorry if I missed it.

no, but there is so far two updates. v1.01 at 37 mb and then the patch at 61.66mb.

elohel

I'm asuming it's a no buuuut will mag be a pen launch or is it purchase on disc only?

Edit: psn not pen or whatever the iPhone changed it to lol

Wes

venison crêpe
Vennt said:
:lol - So true

5 feet?

That was considered heroic wasn't it?

Attempt =/= Achieve :lol

I remember countless times I'd actually make it through clusterfuck alley, make it to some cover, and then get destroyed by a random guy throwing a grenade over a building and it nestling next to me.

And the worrying thing about all this is that I loved it and wanted more of it :lol

Cagen

God damn, going to have to wait until my copy gets shipped, wont be scoring an early copy and I now have 2 painful days off work knowing everyone else is playing it while I wait for the UK launch.

If anyone else wants to set up SVER GAF say so and go ahead, I'll join you guys when I get the game. If not I'll still do it, just may have to wait until Thursday/Friday. It is also my birthday on Friday and I have a 6:30am start for work on Saturday so I wont be on much, this sucks.

Vennt said:

Vennt? Are you a new Mod I have never seen you before. In any case nice to meet you bro. You better be going Raven.

Wes

venison crêpe
BruceLeeRoy said:
Vennt? Are you a new Mod I have never seen you before. In any case nice to meet you bro. You better be going Raven.

For shame! You don't watch any F1 or Wolves victories do you Bruce? (there's a joke about the second thing here I can make but frankly I like posting here).

Kowak

Banned
Wes said:
For shame! You don't watch any F1 or Wolves victories do you Bruce? (there's a joke about the second thing here I can make but frankly I like posting here).

today i got an email i never though i would see Ticketoffice@wolves.co.uk-thank you for registring. my wolves mate is getting tickets to the palace replay.
i am an arsenal fan

Wes

venison crêpe
Kowak said:
today i got an email i never though i would see Ticketoffice@wolves.co.uk-thank you for registring. my wolves mate is getting tickets to the palace replay.
i am an arsenal fan

I'm hoping Wolves win as my old man supports them and I'm a Villa fan!

Oh and on topic, going to head to Argos tommorow and see if I can get that SOCOM Confrontation + headset deal. I don't think I've ever brought a peripheral specifically for a game before.

Wes

venison crêpe
Stupid UK release date. The wait to Friday is going to be bloody hard with the rest of you going ape in this thread :(

Top Bottom