• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Violater

surefire1982 said:
Picked up the game before work today! I'm signed up in the online matchup forum under Raven...but still waffling between them and Valor....who should i choose?!

Valor needs players.

Wes

venison crêpe
surefire1982 said:
Picked up the game before work today! I'm signed up in the online matchup forum under Raven...but still waffling between them and Valor....who should i choose?!

Well the Raven group consists of a core of crazy awesome soldiers from the open beta topped off with a sweet icing of exciting prospects (of which you could be one!)

TheFatOne

Man I wonder how long Valor is going to last. I juts looked at the list of people in Valor and I think we have 7 people in total :lol

Wes said:
Well the Raven group consists of a core of crazy awesome soldiers from the open beta topped off with a sweet icing of exciting prospects (of which you could be one!)

Raven it is! I'll be online tonight sometime around 10pm EST (after work, dinner and getting the kid to bed!)

TheFatOne said:
Man I wonder how long Valor is going to last. I juts looked at the list of people in Valor and I think we have 7 people in total :lol

I put my name down in the other thread, but it's not in the OP :/

elohel

are the first missions you play, the 64 person stuff, that isnt really meant to emphasize the whole teamwork thing is it?

at what point is it really critical(i know its very useful all the time, but at what point or mode do most people go "okay we gotta work together")

theBishop

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Man, just started using the LMG, what a beast. They need to nerf these things somehow.

The LMG should be measured against the pistol only. If a lot people use it as their primary weapon, it's obviously unbalanced.

elohel said:
are the first missions you play, the 64 person stuff, that isnt really meant to emphasize the whole teamwork thing is it?

at what point is it really critical(i know its very useful all the time, but at what point or mode do most people go "okay we gotta work together")

From everything I gathered the only way to rank up, and fast, is through teamwork. Teamwork = more XP.

theBishop said:
The LMG should be measured against the pistol only. If a lot people use it as their primary weapon, it's obviously unbalanced.

It is crazy but for my money nothing is as deadly as having a assault rifle with a silencer equipped. People get in the habit of looking at their radar to determine enemies far more than they do line of sight. I was able to kill a group of 7 guys without even getting shot at because I wasn't popping up on radar.

Biff

About to go pick this up from EB Games.

Any Canadians get that EB Games/Gamestop exclusive SVER character bonus? What's that all about?

theBishop

Banned
Anyone picking this up with their copy?

9474099_ra.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Blinc+-...p?id=1218111147314&skuId=9474099&st=bluetooth

Clearly the most immersive way to play.

sk3tch

ChefRamsay said:
About to go pick this up from EB Games.

Any Canadians get that EB Games/Gamestop exclusive SVER character bonus? What's that all about?

It's exclusive in-game armor...actually useful. I redeemed mine last night and it didn't show up, though...

Has anyone been able to use in-game?

TheFatOne said:

Does it show MyName1sMud yet?

I won't be getting the game until after 6:00pm CST today.

TheFatOne

MidnightRider said:
Does it show MyName1sMud yet?

I won't be getting the game until after 6:00pm CST today.

These are the confirmed Valor GAF players so far:

Lyulf - TheFatOne - EST
Anerythrisitic - Anerythristic - EST
ZZMitch - ZZMitch - EST
hank_scorpio - slider - EST
obonicus - obonicus - EST+1 to +3
MyName1sMud - MidnightRider - CST
NegationSW - NeoCross - GMT
PuMa - PuMa - EST
Harry_Manback - Harry_Manback - GMT+1
Automatisch - PTCoakley - EST
CoreyMV-GoodMorning-EST
NegationSW-NeoCross-GMT
PuMa-PuMa- EST
Harry_Manback-Harry_Manback-GMT+1

That is not as bad as I though originally.

Torgo

It's tough to try and review a game when it handles 256 players, and is only online. Anyone (like us) that had the disc early really got more out of the Beta than the full game disc.

I posted first impressions on our site this morning, but i won't fully review the game until next week.

So, the standard "no reviews are out until launch day means there's an issue" rule doesn't really apply here.

Boogat

NullPointer said:
Hmmm.. When are we going to see the review floodgates open?
Hopefully not for at least a week... This game needs actual playtime to fully be able to review it. Everything you see out now are simply reviews that are based off the beta (which is not fair) and/or the review event they had last week (which they didn't get much playtime).
So yeah, I'm not going to take any review seriously that comes out anytime soon.

IGN UK's review is in

6.0 Presentation
No-frills, straight-to-the action has its merits when your trigger finger’s all itchy, but more character would go a long way. Big battles are a great sight, but everything else is so perfunctory.
8.0 Graphics
It’s, y’know, fine. Unexceptional, but never embarrassing. Individual characters look a few years old, but that’s a necessary and forgivable side-effect of how many chaps it has to pack in.
7.0 Sound
Again, it’s not big on character. Expect standard-issue military grunts and menu music, but little else. Some guns don’t feel as meaty as you’d hope either.
7.5 Gameplay
The core mechanics – taken wholesale from other big-map team shooters – are strong, but the dated HUD and over-prevalance of lone-wolves risks it becoming far more drearily ordinary than it is.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Depends on whether you truly identify with one of the factions. Otherwise, the bland anonymity of it all means that brain-itch to continually climb the level ladder will wear off fast.
Good OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1063592p1.html

Gameplay and Lasting appeal are :lol :lol :lol

Gonna agree with sound and I'd maybe lower graphics to 7.0 or 7.5, but since graphics are probably the last thing I'm getting this game for...

PuMa

Cagen said:
Sorry, must have skipped over your post by mistake.

Has anyone created Valor GAF yet?

I'll be on as soon as I get home from work today. If it hasn't been created yet, I'm willing to do it.

So jealous of all the people already playing today btw...

Lagspike_exe said:
Gameplay and Lasting appeal are :lol :lol :lol

Gonna agree with sound and I'd maybe lower graphics to 7.0 or 7.5, but since graphics are probably the last thing I'm getting this game for...

The article as negative as it sounded actually makes me even more interested in this game and I can't wait to get it this week.

Top Bottom