• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Pretty much burnt on MW2, loved MW1, didn't care for Socom. Want something new, that looks pretty much like this. However, I only have time to game on the weekends, occasionally a day through the week MAYBE. I didn't get a chance to play the beta, so for those of you that have, is this a good game for someone that plays casually? Or is this one of those shooters that if I dont know specifically what to do and play like a pro, I'll get ran out of town within minutes?

I'd love to join one of the GAF groups here so that when I am able to play, I know most of ya'll will have headsets and be a bit more accomodating towards a newbie if Im willing to listen and be a teamplayer. Thats much more inviting than joining the public at large. *shudders*

TheFatOne

TheApatheticOne said:
Pretty much burnt on MW2, loved MW1, didn't care for Socom. Want something new, that looks pretty much like this. However, I only have time to game on the weekends, occasionally a day through the week MAYBE. I didn't get a chance to play the beta, so for those of you that have, is this a good game for someone that plays casually? Or is this one of those shooters that if I dont know specifically what to do and play like a pro, I'll get ran out of town within minutes?

I'd love to join one of the GAF groups here so that when I am able to play, I know most of ya'll will have headsets and be a bit more accomodating towards a newbie if Im willing to listen and be a teamplayer. Thats much more inviting than joining the public at large. *shudders*

Valor is currently accepting recruits. Also not having a headset is ok. You can still hear everyone so that is alright. It doesn't matter if you play every day or once a week.

PuMa said:
I'll be on as soon as I get home from work today. If it hasn't been created yet, I'm willing to do it.

So jealous of all the people already playing today btw...

If the clan isn't up by the time you get the game please make Valor GAF KINGS.

supermackem said:
hehe you know it makes sense, now we just have to get you that official sony headset pick a pmc and let the fun commence.:D

lol if it weren't for gaf's community I probably wouldn't pick this game up or my headset.. plus I need a reason to dust off my PS3 :D

Cagen

PuMa said:
I'll be on as soon as I get home from work today. If it hasn't been created yet, I'm willing to do it.

So jealous of all the people already playing today btw...
Please do before Lyulf gets the chance to add his name or "Kings" to the clan name :lol.

TheFatOne said:
Valor is currently accepting recruits. Also not having a headset is ok. You can still hear everyone so that is alright. It doesn't matter if you play every day or once a week.

Is there a thread to sign up? I was thinking Valor, so that works. PSN name same as my GAF name.

dorkimoe

Played about 3 games last night. 1 deathmatch and 2 objective ones. Was getting owned on deathmatch then i started sniping, and killed like 5 in a row haha.

I put my headset on for the objective games and wow, Tons of teamwork going on. People were strategizing and everything.

I purchased the grip on my gun to give me better aim, i didn't go back in my armory and look, but how do i know if its active? or how do i know if its working?

made a SVER character, just need to get into the GAF clan.

was reading the review from uk.ign, and i agree with what they said. I think the game works well, but sometimes to many players is a bad thing. Its just chaos. Also spend alot of time looking at the respawn screen.

I cant wait until i unlock the revive ability, i want to be able to help my teamates, even though i bet most people just hit x right away and bleed out. Is there a way to invite friends and make a squad with friends?

dorkimoe said:
Played about 3 games last night. 1 deathmatch and 2 objective ones. Was getting owned on deathmatch then i started sniping, and killed like 5 in a row haha.

I put my headset on for the objective games and wow, Tons of teamwork going on. People were strategizing and everything.

I purchased the grip on my gun to give me better aim, i didn't go back in my armory and look, but how do i know if its active? or how do i know if its working?

made a SVER character, just need to get into the GAF clan.

was reading the review from uk.ign, and i agree with what they said. I think the game works well, but sometimes to many players is a bad thing. Its just chaos. Also spend alot of time looking at the respawn screen.

I cant wait until i unlock the revive ability, i want to be able to help my teamates, even though i bet most people just hit x right away and bleed out. Is there a way to invite friends and make a squad with friends?

You need to equip the grip to your gun in the Armory.

supermackem said:
hehe you know it makes sense, now we just have to get you that official sony headset pick a pmc and let the fun commence.:D

Aye, I'll get one on Friday too. I reckon we choose the Chavtastic Asian army... HOODIES HOOOO!!!!!!

i have a sver armor code from gamestop if anyone wants it. would like raven armor also if u have

Edit : gone

still want raven armor if someone has.

dorkimoe

So far the amount of help I've gotten ingame and here has been great. :) Everyone is answering stupid questions in game, and nobody is being a dick..(yet)

TheApatheticOne said:

I would say yes you can play it on weekends only and have fun with it. You don't need to grind, although you will have better options once you accumulate some points for upgrades.
Once you get comfortable with the controller, maps and objectives it will be a lot more fun and points for upgrade will pile up fairly quickly. If you're willing to give this game a chance for more than an hour you will love it and MAG will the only game you'll be thinking about during the week.

PuMa

dorkimoe said:
So far the amount of help I've gotten ingame and here has been great. :) Everyone is answering stupid questions in game, and nobody is being a dick..(yet)

I had the same experience with the beta (and Zipper's SOCOM games actually). One of the things that makes the experience for me...

Wes

venison crêpe
Arnie said:
Just ordered the collectors from Shopto, should arrive on Thursday as per usual. Really excited for this one.

Are ShopTo well known for getting games to buyers a day early then? To be honest I hadn't even heard of them before this thread.

I just want to make sure I have it before the weekend.

dorkimoe

Is there any way to see what armor/weapon unlocks at what level?

(at work so i cant login to the game and browse the menu) :(

Cagen

I'm getting tired of all these previews and "reviews" blaming the game for poor communication and resulting in no team work. You won't get everyone on a team communicating and following orders with random people in any game, they argue that MAG specificly needs this. While I agree the experience is better and the objectives run smoother with organisation, as does anything in life, it is not specificly needed as commands set by squad/platoon leaders are voiced by the game and the players are given large visual prompts of what they are doing and where to go, when people need reviving or objectives which need repairing, even giving the players large bonus XP for helping complete objectives, reviving people etc. The game has clans and allows you to create squads before joining a match if you wish to play as an organised team, even when just playing with randoms I have seen many people working together and communicating via mics during the beta.

shwimpy

Has anyone's Gamefly copy shipped? I was going to use my 10%/$5OFF to buy it but if they skipped me over, I may as well buy it from retailers.

shwimpy said:
Has anyone's Gamefly copy shipped? I was going to use my 10%/$5OFF to buy it but if they skipped me over, I may as well buy it from retailers.

get it from Amazon, $54.99 with $10 gaming credit and free two-day shipping if you sign up for a trial of Prime

KZObsessed

Just ordered ma MAG Collector's Edition. Never thought I'd pay £40 for an online only game :lol

You win this round Das-J... (>_<)

J-Rzez

6.0 Presentation
No-frills, straight-to-the action has its merits when your trigger finger’s all itchy, but more character would go a long way. Big battles are a great sight, but everything else is so perfunctory.
8.0 Graphics
It’s, y’know, fine. Unexceptional, but never embarrassing. Individual characters look a few years old, but that’s a necessary and forgivable side-effect of how many chaps it has to pack in.
7.0 Sound
Again, it’s not big on character. Expect standard-issue military grunts and menu music, but little else. Some guns don’t feel as meaty as you’d hope either.
7.5 Gameplay
The core mechanics – taken wholesale from other big-map team shooters – are strong, but the dated HUD and over-prevalance of lone-wolves risks it becoming far more drearily ordinary than it is.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Depends on whether you truly identify with one of the factions. Otherwise, the bland anonymity of it all means that brain-itch to continually climb the level ladder will wear off fast.
Good OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

How can a review site hold something against people going "lone wolf"? That's the players, not the game's fault who gives more than enough incentive to play as a team in the mix. The hud is clean and concise.

Lasting appeal 7.5? Really? This game has had some of the longest appeal to me out of any shooter out there. So much to do, so much to level up. What a joke.

Piss-poor review, as expected from IGN, dismissing what this game does. It's not MW2, and that's a good thing, not a bad one.

Liberty4all

Banned
sk3tch said:
Yes, it's on this same very page! It is exclusive and it is differently rated than the rest. I just haven't been able to get it to work...although it shows up in my account.

More detail...previous page:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19471889&postcount=1127

Sheesh. :)

Thanks =)

Sadly this makes my decision of which PMC to go abit more difficult. I really wanted to go Raven but my pre order came with Sver armour. *Bleh*

Any word on if the pre order armour will be available as DLC down the road?

Anyone who got the game already - what are the cinematics included on the disc, mentioned by the "MAG Beta vs. Final Game" post on Playstation Blog?

J-Rzez said:
How can a review site hold something against people going "lone wolf"? That's the players, not the game's fault who gives more than enough incentive to play as a team in the mix. The hud is clean and concise.

Lasting appeal 7.5? Really? This game has had some of the longest appeal to me out of any shooter out there. So much to do, so much to level up. What a joke.

Piss-poor review, as expected from IGN, dismissing what this game does. It's not MW2, and that's a good thing, not a bad one.

And what's even more awesome is that it's based on the beta. :lol

J-Rzez

Lagspike_exe said:
Anyone who got the game already - what are the cinematics included on the disc, mentioned by the "MAG Beta vs. Final Game" post on Playstation Blog?

And what's even more awesome is that it's based on the beta. :lol

There's an opening cinematic, and one per PMC on recruitment that you can check out.

That's even more lame if they're going off of Beta for that review. Double-standards is something that needs to halt here. Camping and "lone wolves" are something not held against other games, like MW2, don't do it here. What a joke.

Not to mention all the problems that has, and still does riddle MW2. Yet it gets a free pass. Guess what? No glitching here, no errors, the game runs seamlessly here in the launch copy. Something that has not been accomplished by other "big" shooters.

You might think it’s an unfairly high score but for the scale of the job and the end product being so seamless we think it’s a well earned score for a truly ground breaking game.

Indeed, Bone-idle got it right. It's ground breaking in many regards. No bugs, glitches, cheats, server/connection stability, size/scope of game. Gameplay is second to none.

Click said:
So far, only me and J-Rzez are in the SVER clan.
He's an officer so if I'm not on, ask him for an invite.

I should hopefully have this by Thursday the latest so you or J-Rzez will get a request then for sure

Arnie

FFObsessed said:
Just ordered ma MAG Collector's Edition. Never thought I'd pay £40 for an online only game :lol

You win this round Das-J... (>_<)
Shopto? That's where I just ordered.

They got me ma Killzone a day early.

DSCF3566.jpg

As I mentioned in the "other" thread, my 360 is currently being repaired so this game should keep me occupied.

Hope to see you guys online :D

CozMick

Banned
How can sites get away with reviewing the damn beta?

Even if they did get there hands on a retail copy then surely this is a game that requires days, not minutes to get a full written review of how it is?

sbarbati

Mikey Jr. said:
So can someone on here who has the game and has been in the beta talk about improvements of the final versus the beta?
They fixed a lot of bugs and smoothed out the framerate. As well as adding a lighting effects, better textures, (more noticeable on a big screen) and added particle effects like dust floating through the air. It won't be noticeable if you didn't play the beta constantly like me, but I knew I was getting it no matter what so I was pleasantly surprised by all of the fixes.

NullPointer said:
Anybody know if this game supports 5.1 audio or better? The latest patch notes refer to "True Stereo".

of course, I even remember searching for enemies based out of which speaker the proximity chatter came from :lol

I would guess the patch refers to sounds of your own character (=2D), weapon etc. which are now stereo instead of one speaker(center?)?

Top Bottom