• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

Shurs

Kittonwy said:
Should I pick up dis game? I wuz at EB today and then Best Buy, so tempted.
Indifferent2.gif

Did you play in the beta? What were your impressions?

dg32

Neo Member
I normally HATE playing any type of fps game on a console, but I'd like to give this title a chance. Should I gamefly it? How is this game in comparison to MW2 or Killzone 2? I saw a video this morning on youtube where some guy snuck up on an enemy and shot him in the head, only to need an additional headshot for the kill.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
dg32 said:
I normally HATE playing any type of fps game on a console, but I'd like to give this title a chance. Should I gamefly it? How is this game in comparison to MW2 or Killzone 2? I saw a video this morning on youtube where some guy snuck up on an enemy and shot him in the head, only to need an additional headshot for the kill.

um... just add it to your queue. people who ask if they should rent a game boggle my mind. i mean, the whole point of renting is to try it out yourself without spending 60 bucks

Kittonwy

Banned
Shurs said:
Did you play in the beta? What were your impressions?

It was hard for me to judge, it didn't help since I was playing a ton of KZ2 MP at the time, I was used to smaller maps with much more defined level designs in terms of high ground, low ground, corridors, choke points. Right now playing Uncharted 2 MP it's very similar in terms of how defined every map position is.

Half the time in the MAG beta I didn't know where I was supposed to go, without people to play with it's really hard for me to maintain interest, I say that in general because that's the same for all MP games I play, I don't play for XP or to level up, I'm simply not into that stuff at all, in fact I would rather have everybody start out with exactly the same weapon set and options instead of noobs always starting out with something shitty. I just like to win, most often it's very difficult to win playing with randoms.

TheFallen

Enjoyed the matches (as always) with SVER GAF earlier, once the servers went down I was done for the night. I will catch you all tomorrow. We should try and schedule a good time and get at least 8 of us online ;)

So, I put some time into this game since I got it in the early afternoon. It plays the same as the beta, which I have no problem with. The real judge for me will be Domination. The framerate was on the bad side in the Beta, and I would like to see how it's improved. I'm going to try out Domination tomorrow, since I just leveled up to Level 8 before I quit playing for the day. Had some fun with some randoms today. Only in the last two rounds, though. The platoon I had in both rounds were defending and reviving those who died, including me. Was shocked to see that happen with randoms. :)

patsu said:
How is that possible ?
It's possible. Earlier today when I was playing, I think the same thing happened to some other guy. I was parachuting, and then like right when I got out, this dude went down, rammed into me into the air, and then fell to the ground dead. Didn't hear a sniper shot, and I never saw anything of a parachute on him as well. Must be some random glitch that happens.

Liberty4all

Banned
Holy shit. I thought that medics had it good in the beta but I'm positive they have increased the amount of xp medics get when healing.

LMG + Medic for the win!

Also Sorry I didn't link up with Raven GAF tonight. I've got a group of guys I game regularly with. Trying to convince them to join Raven GAF. Would be another 8 bodies.

TheFallen

Bamelin said:
Holy shit. I thought that medics had it good in the beta but I'm positive they have increased the amount of xp medics get when healing.
They didn't. It's the same, you only get more if you heal the person more.

Liberty4all

Banned
TheFallen said:
They didn't. It's the same, you only get more if you heal the person more.

I dunno I felt like the rate of xp for heals (not full revives) was abit more than before. It could just be there are so many noobs out there that I just had alot more people to heal.

Trevelyan

Banned
Game is utterly addicting. Currently level 6, and planning on playing all through the night since I have tomorrow off. Hope to see some of you online.

Man, when you're attacking and constantly getting resurrected, it's like getting punched in the balls over and over. DIE...resurrected * 2 seconds of life * DIE...resurrected * 2 seconds of life * DIE...

Gotta be honest, when your squad's got a plan, and you see everyone united and rolling together, and take an objective it's totally worth it.

Looking forward to playing more. REALLY want to play in the 256 player mode!

unomas

Banned
Is this game better than Modern Warfare? Thinking about picking it up as I have $100 worth of Best Buy gift cards, just not sure if it's worth it or not? Why is it better than Modern Warfare? How do they differ?

dg32

Neo Member
commish said:
um... just add it to your queue. people who ask if they should rent a game boggle my mind. i mean, the whole point of renting is to try it out yourself without spending 60 bucks

Oh, is THAT the point? Thank you, I wasn't aware. I'm asking for opinions of people who've actually played the game, seeing as how I've only found about seven reviews for this game online.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That was a tremendous amount of WIN, even if our team didn't win much. Rolling out with 8 GAF'ers was sweet. Even with most of us with nothing but the default weapons of suckiness. Just wait till we fill up a platoon, with various skill sets to organize. :D

Beardz

Ugh! I can't wait to play... I was thinking about joining Valor -I already played with the three factions- but I'm not sure anymore. Everybody is joining Raven, yes?

Palmer_v1

Beardz said:
Ugh! I can't wait to play... I was thinking about joining Valor -I already played with the three factions- but I'm not sure anymore. Everybody is joining Raven, yes?

I believe Raven and SVER had about the same number of Gaffers last I checked. Valor is behind.

Edt: For anyone who might not have noticed, SVER won enough Sabo maps to get a contract: +5% exp.

Also, what is with Valor and Raven sniping on the SVER sabo map? It seems like if they get pushed back at all, half of them switch to snipers so they can camp on the back ridges. Sure, they kill me a lot, but it seems like they would be more of a credit to the team if they actually used smokes and advanced on us.

theBishop

Banned
Just had some great Acquisition matches. Teamwork is strategic, yet manageable in that mode. In some ways the squad leadership is more important than in Domination.

theBishop

Banned
unomas said:
Is this game better than Modern Warfare? Thinking about picking it up as I have $100 worth of Best Buy gift cards, just not sure if it's worth it or not? Why is it better than Modern Warfare? How do they differ?

Right of the bat, Modern Warfare has single player and coop. So if you want single player and coop, get that.

Comparing the competitive modes is tough. Modern Warfare doesn't have a class system or detailed objectives like in MAG. But MAG's deathmatch is pretty much a joke. If you want to play a game with teamwork and coordination, MAG is great. If you're more into racking up a kill/death ratio and personal shootouts, Modern Warfare is better.

unomas

Banned
theBishop said:
Right of the bat, Modern Warfare has single player and coop. So if you want single player and coop, get that.

Comparing the competitive modes is tough. Modern Warfare doesn't have a class system or detailed objectives like in MAG. But MAG's deathmatch is pretty much a joke. If you want to play a game with teamwork and coordination, MAG is great. If you're more into racking up a kill/death ratio and personal shootouts, Modern Warfare is better.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like I'll just keep playing Modern Warfare.

Click

Banned
TheFallen said:
Enjoyed the matches (as always) with SVER GAF earlier, once the servers went down I was done for the night. I will catch you all tomorrow. We should try and schedule a good time and get at least 8 of us online ;)

We did have 8 on tonight. Won every game mode with them.

You missed it. =P

jorma said:
do you get more xp for a revive if you have the full recovery skill?

No. It's still 10 XP (or 20 around FRAGO areas).

In fact, that's how the point boosters during the IGN tournament got even more XP.
They purposely got the 50% Resuscitation skill so they can heal each other for more XP after they get revived.

This game is a clusterfuck. An enjoyable clusterfuck, but a clusterfuck nonetheless.

Sabotage is straight forward - either your squad is attacking/defending A or B, with C being the target after those two fall. Simple, approachable, with lots of bang for the buck.

Acquisition I had a lot of problems with. The primary objective is to get those two vehicles, but there's a host of heavily armed secondary objectives along the way. If you're in a squad without a leader setting orders, your only Frago order is to get the vehicles, so squads end up running around pretty sizable maps without much of a purpose. Saving leadership for levels 15 or above really exacerbates the difficulty curve and leads to a lot of frustrating deaths. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon as more people level up and take leadership roles. Being leaderless in a squad just sucks.

Domination is just nucking futs, and like before, if you have decent leaders who set achievable objectives the sheer maddening chaos becomes a more focused set of pitched battles amidst the storm.

Valor did alright tonight for me - taking that Sabotage map from SVER is a real bitch though.

All in all a positive experience. The grouping system worked out fine, and lag wasn't much of an issue, or at least no more than any other online shooter. There are some kinks to work out, and the game could use a couple of years of polish, but for what it is, its been a good ride so far.

Wes

venison crêpe
polyh3dron said:
wtf is up with RavenGAF, my name's been in the list for a while and I sent Kowak a PSN message but haven't been invited to the clan yet

ffffuuuuuuuuuu
Have some faith my Raven brother. It's 4am for us when you wrote this! All will work out in the end!

J-Rzez

unomas said:

Do you like SP?
Do you love copious amounts of auto-aim?
Do you enjoy crappy p2p with sub-par net-code?
Do you like running around with no purpose?
Do you like elementary quality maps?
Do you like saying, "wtf, he wasn't even aiming at me"?
Do you like glitches?
Do you love lack of depth?
Do you LOVE deathmatch?

If you would like to have the exact opposite of those, then MAG is for you. Just get in one of our clans, makes it even more fun.

NullPointer said:
The grouping system worked out fine, and lag wasn't much of an issue, or at least no more than any other online shooter. There are some kinks to work out, and the game could use a couple of years of polish, but for what it is, its been a good ride so far.

A couple years of polish? Please. And it would be nice if other shooters ran even close to as good as this does as far as lag goes.

Of course I would like to see it do "this/that" or "more of..." but this is the new measuring stick of console shooters for me.

patsu

Kittonwy, you may want to get this game. Get it while everyone is still a noob, and the new game smell is still there.

Map is large and confusing. Yes. But after some scouting it's not that big a problem. Basic shooting mechanics is good. Enemies are incredibly tough and stubborn. I am pretty sure the other side thought the same about us too (Ha ha).

I have only played in Sabotage so far. Don't know about chasing after 2 vehicles. I think I'll jump straight to Domination once I level up to 10.

Click

Banned
To those complaining about the game being too hectic, confusing, or just a clusterfuck (even in a good way), I hope you do realize that this game JUST launched. Once people have played for a month or 2, even Domination maps won't be confusing anymore and people will actually have a good idea of what to do... with or without good squad / platoon / company leaders.

Obviously good leaders will be key to winning, but my point is, players need to be given time to learn all MAG has to offer. Patience people, patience.

patsu

Oh yes, that's why we need Kittonwy's opinionated mind: Shout some orders, right or wrong it doesn't really matter. We'll all learn.

jorma

is now taking requests
I'm so psyched, mailman is due any minute now.

Positive side effect of being home sick on release day: I'll be here when the game drops in my maibox
Negative side effect: I'm not sure i'll have the energy to play it very much :X

jorma

is now taking requests
Click said:
To those complaining about the game being too hectic, confusing, or just a clusterfuck

Yeah, i figure everyone have had this experience with MAG at one point or another. If you are currently having them, just have faith that everything will be progressively less confusing to you as you play more games.

And since you all will have the opportunity to play in one of the GAF clans you will have an easier time adjusting to it than most. =)

Click said:
To those complaining about the game being too hectic, confusing, or just a clusterfuck (even in a good way), I hope you do realize that this game JUST launched. Once people have played for a month or 2, even Domination maps won't be confusing anymore and people will actually have a good idea of what to do... with or without good squad / platoon / company leaders.

Obviously good leaders will be key to winning, but my point is, players need to given time to learn all MAG has to offer. Patience people, patience.
Absolutely. Let my post be a warning for the wary who are easily discouraged though - after a week or two things'll naturally shake out into the groove of what this game is meant to be. Right now though, it takes just a little more willpower to see it through what can seem overwhelming and random at first - but on the bright side the leveling is quick and opens up new game modes at a steady clip. If you're really on the fence about this one, give it a week and see how impressions change as things settle into place.

J-Rzez said:
A couple years of polish? Please. And it would be nice if other shooters ran even close to as good as this does as far as lag goes.
The polish would go towards too bare bones training mission, the lack of explanation of objectives and towards some serious UI enhancements so that experiencing stuff like Acquisition and Domination for the first time wouldn't be so damn hectic. I've read up a good deal on this game and I still ran into problems figuring out how the objectives and subobjectives play into a given mission. Its trial by fire right now. Thats cool for a beta, but I thought the full game would do a better job going over the game mechanics. That stuff isn't in the manual, or easily described on their website, so its trial and error for new players.

And on the lag front, I am impressed, but I had some of the same issues that lots of other games have, rubber-banding, being shot through cover, wondering why perfect shots seemingly didn't connect, etc. and even some MAG specific ones where a few player models would just freeze in place, not doing anything, and impervious to damage.

I can live with a few oddities here and there though, especially with a launch day server and a 256 player game. Domination mode WORKS, with all those players and keeping the framerate steady alone is impressive as hell. Having a respawn that drops 30+ players into the game at once is something I've never seen, much less to have the whole damn group run out into the field to have a huge battle across a sprawling map.

Its good, but you have to look past some things to find the good stuff.

Palmer_v1

NullPointer said:
That stuff isn't in the manual, or easily described on their website, so its trial and error for new players.

Crappy, cheap ass manuals are a trend that has been getting on my nerves recently. MAG's manual is no exception; it's bare bones and not at all useful. We're all gamers and have years of experience to draw from, but can you imagine a brand new gamer picking up this game with no FPS experience? They'd be completely lost and would likely return the game.

Does it really cost THAT much to put out a decent instruction manual nowadays?

Afrikan

Wes said:
Have some faith my Raven brother. It's 4am for us when you wrote this! All will work out in the end!

Well I have been using Raven since the first Beta..... I'm about to hop on...so if yall need an extra Gaf Raven member, add me PSN= Afrikan

Top Bottom