• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAG |OT| 256-Player Battles, Lots of Teamwork, Not So Much Auto-Aim

This game seems to favor SVER heavily... spawning right on top of C when they're attacking and spawning us really far away when we're defending.

Cagen

Cagen

polyh3dron said:
I think a lot of people whose names are actually already on those lists in that thread have not received invites.

The problem with it is that you can't be sent an invite until you have logged into the MAG servers at least once, it's not just a case of inviting everyone on the lists and waiting for them to log in to accept.

Send Kowak a PSN message or PM on here if you are still waiting for an invite into Raven GAF, I'm not sure who the officers are yet but when I get told they will go in the recruitment thread OP and you can contact them as well. It's only been one day and people aren't ignoring requests, they will have just over looked them while being addicted to leveling up.

Everyone on the SVER GAF list that has the game should have had an invite though.

J-Rzez

gibonez said:
So how is the game folks ? Is it as bad as people say or are they just blowing hot air ?

LOL. I don't know, read the thread, and play the game and decide for yourself. The game is killer. A new measuring stick for competitive MP shooters, especially considering what it's doing.

NullPointer said:
And on the lag front, I am impressed, but I had some of the same issues that lots of other games have, rubber-banding, being shot through cover, wondering why perfect shots seemingly didn't connect, etc. and even some MAG specific ones where a few player models would just freeze in place, not doing anything, and impervious to damage.

I can live with a few oddities here and there though, especially with a launch day server and a 256 player game. Domination mode WORKS, with all those players and keeping the framerate steady alone is impressive as hell. Having a respawn that drops 30+ players into the game at once is something I've never seen, much less to have the whole damn group run out into the field to have a huge battle across a sprawling map.

Its good, but you have to look past some things to find the good stuff.

Check your connection. I'm not running into that stuff really, nor are the others I've been playing with from here.

There's not much to look past to find the good. Only shortcomings I can see is that I'd like more maps, and more weapons. Perhaps seeing everyone who is in your party's names at the menu screen, or at least have it pop up to see who's talking out there.

GrayFoxPL

Can someone give me rundown of the controls?

The main thing I'm interested is if L3 is used for something important like sprint or crouch, and if it is can I remap it?

Old Socom games had tons of control customisation.

zlreyv.jpg

You can't remap the controls, unless they've changed it in the final build.

Kowak

Banned
Cagen said:
The problem with it is that you can't be sent an invite until you have logged into the MAG servers at least once, it's not just a case of inviting everyone on the lists and waiting for them to log in to accept.

Send Kowak a PSN message or PM on here if you are still waiting for an invite into Raven GAF, I'm not sure who the officers are yet but when I get told they will go in the recruitment thread OP and you can contact them as well. It's only been one day and people aren't ignoring requests, they will have just over looked them while being addicted to leveling up.

Everyone on the SVER GAF list that has the game should have had an invite though.

the officers are das-j, ian, corran, depward, missinglink and nosh. Will properly make everonr an officer so that they can invite people.

Sorry if you think you are being ignored but as cagen said you need the game before an invite so please mssage me or one of the officers to let them know you have the game.

Click

Banned
I really hate how all the accessory skins / models are all scattered throughout the armor classes. And certain pieces are missing completely, like the face wrap and headset for SVER. I mean come on! The face wrap was in every render / drawing of SVER from the very beginning. How can you just take that away from us now?

These skins were great for character customization and instead of adding more, Zipper decided to lock them to level restrictions, scatter all the helmets and face pieces, and even took away some of the coolest items.

I hope Zipper would just make them available from the get-go like they were in beta.

patsu

polyh3dron said:
This game seems to favor SVER heavily... spawning right on top of C when they're attacking and spawning us really far away when we're defending.

Which map and game mode is this ?

Cagen

Anyone from the UK having problems connecting to PSN? I can log into my US and JPN accounts but none of my UK ones will connect. I am picking up my copy in an hour and now can't log into PSN, this is taking the piss.

jorma

is now taking requests
I was watching a stream on justintv and... am i hallucinating this or did they add another set of stairs on the sver map, sab mode? Just outside of B?

Cagen

jorma said:
I was watching a stream on justintv and... am i hallucinating this or did they add another set of stairs on the sver map, sab mode? Just outside of B?
Been watching streams this morning and I don't think it's any differen from beta 5.

Liberty4all

Banned
Kowak said:
the officers are das-j, ian, corran, depward, missinglink and nosh. Will properly make everonr an officer so that they can invite people.

Sorry if you think you are being ignored but as cagen said you need the game before an invite so please mssage me or one of the officers to let them know you have the game.

Sent you a PM Kowak.

I've got a bunch (5 - 6) of guys I'd like to bring into the Raven clan (a smallish group of guys I've been gaming with since 2005). Talked to them this morning, all of us want in.

I'm getting a weird error message when I'm trying to install the MAG dynamic themes.
Error Message said:
VidZone Press Preview is currently not available to download - please try again later, by re-downloading it from your Download List.
Edit: Had to re-download all themes. They're working fine now.

slider

I didn't realise this was so close to release. Duh.

Just ordered it. Will travel over 5000 miles so I can play it in the UK (but won't have my headset with me unfortunately). That's gotto be some sort of GAF record.

Shurs

I can tell already tell this game is going to be a big time sink for me. As I sit here drinking coffee before going to work, I'm already thinking about the playing MAG tonight.

uraldix said:
When you join the clan, look at Click's medals. I don't think he's human :lol

hahaha I know I heard... I think he's at a ridiculous level already too. Glad to be on his team though and not against him. :D

TheFallen

It'd be nice if they stopped the bombs from killing teammates and giving you TKs. Sucks to be the one to plant the bomb and then get -30xp because people don't know to move away.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bamelin said:
Sent you a PM Kowak.

I've got a bunch (5 - 6) of guys I'd like to bring into the Raven clan (a smallish group of guys I've been gaming with since 2005). Talked to them this morning, all of us want in.

Surprisingly, I believe we have room! :lol

Fixed1979

Only managed to put in an hour or so last night, saw a couple Raven GAFer's but they were in another squad and it was full. They've really cleaned it up since I played beta (first round of keys), there's definately going to be alot of playtime sunk into this one.

EDIT: I messed up my ability selections already, didn't realize I didn't have to have both items in Tier 1 in order to start buying Tier 2. At what point do we get the ability to re-spec?

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
Should I pick up dis game? I wuz at EB today and then Best Buy, so tempted.
Indifferent2.gif

Yes! Join SVER where most of us KZ2 guys are. Lots of teamwork/communication, we'll have a laugh and most importantly we'll win
angry.gif

PuMa

NullPointer said:
Being leaderless in a squad just sucks.

Agreed. That happened to me in just about every Acquisition match last night. It's tough and sometimes frustrating, but as Click and other have mentioned, things will get better as people advance.

Cornbread78

So, are the maps that unbalanced that anyone spawning as SVER can just sit back and snipe and it is impossible to penetrate if they have any skill? I want to purchase this game, but have heard really mixed things thus far. Everyone speculated they were going to fix that when the beta was completed, bt I haven't heard anything concrete; just a lot of whining from my friends.

Liberty4all

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Yes! Join SVER where most of us KZ2 guys are. Lots of teamwork/communication, we'll have a laugh and most importantly we'll win
angry.gif

Don't listen to him Raven GAF is where it's at! We also have teamwork, communication and most importantly we play the game on hard mode!

Liberty4all

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
So, are the maps that unbalanced that anyone spawning as SVER can just sit back and snipe and it is impossible to penetrate if they have any skill? I want to purchase this game, but have heard really mixed things thus far. Everyone speculated they were going to fix that when the beta was completed, bt I haven't heard anything concrete; just a lot of whining from my friends.

Sver maps can be beat, but you definately need alot more communication going on to coordinate rushes. Sver's Sabatoge map is a freaking fortress.

Has anyone on RavenGaf noticed the starting sniper rifle hits as hard as a bb gun? I couldn't put down anyone with less than 5 or so shots....

oh well, at least i feel better about not spending it in the sniping tree and getting my medkit/reviver!

Fixed1979

surefire1982 said:
Has anyone on RavenGaf noticed the starting sniper rifle hits as hard as a bb gun? I couldn't put down anyone with less than 5 or so shots....

oh well, at least i feel better about not spending it in the sniping tree and getting my medkit/reviver!

I played mostly sniper last night, and will probably continue to do so. I never shot anyone more than 3 times for a kill and headshots are instant. Are you sure you were using a sniper rifle and actually hitting them?

surefire1982 said:

I was usually putting people down with two hits, and the occaisional one hit. Could have been the armor they were using along with where you are hitting them.

Cellbomber said:
I was usually putting people down with two hits, and the occaisional one hit. Could have been the armor they were using along with where you are hitting them.

Yes, could be...I tried sniper first, before any other guns...and had to get used to how the controls handled compared to MW2....maybe i'll try again tonight....last night the majority of my kills were with the AR w/ grip :)

Wes

venison crêpe
gogogow said:
Where is the grenade button?

You have to have grenades in your inventory and then you select them by cycling through with the L2 button I think (Or they could be the first thing in the L2 bit depending on where you put them in your loadout).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think I participated in 15 matches yesterday. I believe I was on the winning side once. I sure hope we get better!

polyh3dron said:
Oh I know.... Wouldn't a team of 128 GAFers be insane?

I gotta wonder if there's a way to at leage get alot of them in at the same time. Perhaps have multiple groups que up at about the same time. Even though you really can't talk to the other squads, I believe a communication chain would work better.

TheFallen

Violater said:
Not being able to get your whole clan into one game kinda sucks
There is a slight trick to it, you can sometimes get 2 groups of 8 to queue up at the same time and they'll sometimes get into the same one.

Violater said:
Not being able to get your whole clan into one game kinda sucks

Are you that angry in RL too?

Anyway, SMG needs to be freaking nerfed, it's astonishing how spray and pray guys with SMGs can kill you with 1-2 shots from the hip. It's one thing giving support while prone and another when you're as accurate as a sniper from the hip just shooting frantically in close combat.

Otherwise, it's perfect.

Kowak

Banned
I will be online in 15 minutes if anyone wants a game or to be added to the clan. Remember to give me a pan message as it the only way to know you have the game.

Top Bottom